General discussion about zines

promote, discuss, start your fanzine here!
roundbitsofplastic

General discussion about zines

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Maybe we should start an Academic Zine Shizzle thread?

But I wanted to post this somewhere, so for now...
We Make Zines wrote: My name is Peter Bryant, I am a researcher and DIY artist working on a fairly extensive project on participation in DIY arts and specifically zine making, through both the University of Technology, Sydney and Middlesex University in the UK. The aim of the research is to look at how people come to make zines and their personal stories of their first exposure to zines and zine making. I will be hoping to do some online interviews with zine makers early in the new year.

This email is just a heads up about the research project. The main aim of the project is to explore the zine making as an art or a media and hopefully help understand how practices such as zines, street art and community radio can survive and continue to flourish in a changing digital and artistic environment

If you would like to know more about the project, just drop me an email
djringfinger (at) gmail (dot) com
Cheers
Peter
http://www.wemakezines.ning.com
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Re: General discussion about zines

Post by crystalball » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:42 pm

There is a fanzine exhibition to coincide with the release of that book we were talking about on the Intercity Baby '09 thread, and you can submit your or someone else's zine for inclusion, it says here.

Zines are the new queer theory.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:26 am

Is anyone coming to the Brum Zinefest?

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:00 pm

crystalball wrote:There is a fanzine exhibition to coincide with the release of that book we were talking about on the Intercity Baby '09 thread, and you can submit your or someone else's zine for inclusion, it says here.
I've just got an invite to the launch of that book. Not that I can go, but is anyone else off?

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:28 pm

I very much doubt it, when exactly it?

humblebee

Post by humblebee » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:15 am

roundbitsofplastic wrote:I very much doubt it, when exactly it?
Next week. A bit soon to get 13p advance train tickets.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:22 am

humblebee wrote:
roundbitsofplastic wrote:I very much doubt it, when exactly it?
Next week. A bit soon to get 13p advance train tickets.
My illicit YP Railcard is still valid, but I don't get paid til Friday. Boooo.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:51 am

Did anyone see that bit in the Metro about this Zine book? Lord only knows how they managed to get a plug in there.

Edit
It was in Monday's edition, I think

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

String Bean Jen
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/

Post by String Bean Jen » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:44 pm

humblebee wrote:
crystalball wrote:There is a fanzine exhibition to coincide with the release of that book we were talking about on the Intercity Baby '09 thread, and you can submit your or someone else's zine for inclusion, it says here.
I've just got an invite to the launch of that book. Not that I can go, but is anyone else off?
I went (as did Marianthi) and got a hold of this big gorgeous book. Check it out! I want to take a picture to show people just how massive it is. It's so beautiful! So much to pore over in it, and with endless inspiration and fascinating history.

I also went to talk to Teal (what a great name!) and she was so lovely. She somehow remembered my email communication with her when I was wondering how she'd got a hold of my zine. She remembered 'Bye Bye, Duffel Boy' and said she was happy that friends had their zines in her book together. :-) Later on when I got home, I looked at the book and saw that Pete B's Marianthi-covered 'Iconoclastic Cardies' was also in it! I'm in good company. :-)

Finally she said we could keep in touch, that she always wants to keep her zine collection fresh and is willing to chuck a few quid to anyone who makes a zine. Really cool woman!

There's more than one use for every part

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:20 pm

String Bean Jen wrote:
I went (as did Marianthi) and got a hold of this big gorgeous book. Check it out! I want to take a picture to show people just how massive it is. It's so beautiful!
34.00 x 24.00 cm!

It's a bit steep at £20, though. I'll have to find other means..

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Outcognito
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Outcognito » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:10 pm

String Bean Jen wrote:Later on when I got home, I looked at the book and saw that Pete B's Marianthi-covered 'Iconoclastic Cardies' was also in it!
Good gracious.
It's so easy when the door is wide open.

humblebee

Post by humblebee » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:26 pm

Teal Triggs was on the radio this morning talking about zines:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11644589

heart_swells
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mellowdoubt

Post by heart_swells » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:07 pm

Afternoon gentle indie-folk!

I was wondering whether anyone was aware of an "indie pop" focussed website similar to this: http://punksishippies.blogspot.com/

I'm doing some background research on 'zines for my MA so if you have any useful urls you can send my way that would be splendid. I'm also hoping to interview some folk on this here messageboard but that'll be a bit later! ^_^

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:41 am

Maybe ZineWiki might be of use?

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

linus

Post by linus » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:58 am

String Bean Jen wrote:I also went to talk to Teal (what a great name!) and she was so lovely. She somehow remembered my email communication with her when I was wondering how she'd got a hold of my zine. She remembered 'Bye Bye, Duffel Boy' and said she was happy that friends had their zines in her book together. :-) Later on when I got home, I looked at the book and saw that Pete B's Marianthi-covered 'Iconoclastic Cardies' was also in it! I'm in good company. :-)

Finally she said we could keep in touch, that she always wants to keep her zine collection fresh and is willing to chuck a few quid to anyone who makes a zine. Really cool woman!

I was looking at this in waterstones yesterday and came home to look it up on amazon (see if I could get it cheaper, perhaps) and it has two 'one star' reviews (out of two reviews in total)...
Very few, if any, zinesters included were informed until after publication and were not even given the decency of an apology. Insulting to the culture it supposedly supports. DO NOT BUY.
Unfortunately, a great deal of the artwork contained within was included without the permission of the original artists, and in some cases, mis-credited or not credited at all. My artwork was included and I wasn't even informed until after publication. Teal herself has refused to answer many of the emails sent to her in regards to this matter, and has ignored calls for apologies and / or compensation. To make matters worse, much of the information provided in her essays is blatantly untrue. I would absolutely not recommend this book. If you insist on reading it, check it out at your local library, but please do not contribute your hard-earned cash.
now, I tend to take amazon reviews with a pinch of salt, a quick flick thru' the book in the book shop impressed me enough to consider buying it, however, I was just looking at tobi vail's blog this very morning and her best/worst of 2010 and in amongst the 'worsts' is 'teal triggs lack of ethics'

I just wondered if anyone owned the book here, what their thoughts were and whether I shouldn't concern myself with any of these folks' misgivings?

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Oh Ray, do shut up.
Last edited by roundbitsofplastic on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

String Bean Jen
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/

Post by String Bean Jen » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:56 pm

fogofideas wrote: I was looking at this in waterstones yesterday and came home to look it up on amazon (see if I could get it cheaper, perhaps) and it has two 'one star' reviews (out of two reviews in total)...
Very few, if any, zinesters included were informed until after publication and were not even given the decency of an apology. Insulting to the culture it supposedly supports. DO NOT BUY.
Unfortunately, a great deal of the artwork contained within was included without the permission of the original artists, and in some cases, mis-credited or not credited at all. My artwork was included and I wasn't even informed until after publication. Teal herself has refused to answer many of the emails sent to her in regards to this matter, and has ignored calls for apologies and / or compensation. To make matters worse, much of the information provided in her essays is blatantly untrue. I would absolutely not recommend this book. If you insist on reading it, check it out at your local library, but please do not contribute your hard-earned cash.
now, I tend to take amazon reviews with a pinch of salt, a quick flick thru' the book in the book shop impressed me enough to consider buying it, however, I was just looking at tobi vail's blog this very morning and her best/worst of 2010 and in amongst the 'worsts' is 'teal triggs lack of ethics'

I just wondered if anyone owned the book here, what their thoughts were and whether I shouldn't concern myself with any of these folks' misgivings?
Teal seemed like a really honest person to me, both on email when she contacted me to let me know my zine would be in her book, and in person when we chatted at the release of this book. She had an air of former punk/riot grrrl about her. I know she's an academic but how awesome is it to be able to make a career out of something you've probably adored and that has been central to your life since you were a teenager? That was what I felt about her.

It could be pointed out that she didn't ask me for permission to print the cover of my zine and cite it correctly before it was published. Rather, she emailed me to tell me she was using it, just an FYI. Personally, I'm totally fine with how it was cited and printed in the book. I really do believe she made every effort to contact all zine creators as best she could. I included an email in my zine. I bet a lot of people didn't put an email or didn't include any contact information in theirs. Or they did, but the contact information is out of date. And if they didn't, maybe she tried to research online any way to get in contact with the zine creator but couldn't find a way to get in contact. Or the creator never returned her emails when she contacted them. I don't know her prior work and how she has operated in the past so this is all just assumptions from me. I'm just giving her the benefit of the doubt from the vibe I got from her.

I still think it's pretty cool to be included in a big, glossy book such as this. Publicity on that level is not the aim when you make a zine so to have your little labour of love suddenly found by someone not in your scene and think it worthy of inclusion, that's neat to me.
There's more than one use for every part

linus

Post by linus » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:44 pm

here's what the, um, 'whiny liberals' had to say, for them's that are bothered:

http://jigsawunderground.blogspot.com/2 ... riggs.html

http://hello-amber.blogspot.com/2010/09 ... thout.html

http://hello-amber.blogspot.com/2010/10 ... or-of.html

there's also a website put together by the same (?) or other 'whiny liberals':

http://fanzinesbytealtriggs.weebly.com/

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:32 pm

i don't really have anything of value to add to this, i'm afraid (so what else is new, etc) but this is kinda fascinating. i was quite excited about the book from what Jennifer had said a while back, but all these other blog links have tempered that excitement somewhat
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

linus

Post by linus » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:38 pm

it doesn't seem to be very in the spirit of 'zine culture as I understand it and things like 'zines being printed in the book that were marked 'not for reprint in for profit publications' and they appear anyway, it's a bit dispiriting... if I can throw in a few assumptions of my own it does rather smack of 'you should be grateful this is appearing in a proper publication that will be seen by more people than your 'zine ever could' and also that one can reprint 'zines willy nilly whereas one would tread more carefully/respectfully/seek permission if one were reprinting stuff published by corporate publishing houses (for example, thames and hudson)

I suspect like a lot of things this book was produced with all the best intentions but made too many assumptions and some of those assumptions, I have to assume, seem to have been made without due consideration for the creators of the individual works (oh, and facts too)... it may be that one fanzine writer might think 'this is brilliant, I approve' when contacted after the fact whereas another might think 'no, hang on a minute, this is a bit off' and have a perfectly sound reason for why they don't want their work republished in this way (beyond wanting a cut of the profits/payment, etc)

just because it's ok for one doesn't make it ok for everyone and triggs and thames and hudson should've take a bit more time and care when compiling this, to put it mildly