looking for concerts/clubs/music stores to go to in FL!

us - canada
cupcake_love
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/allishollow

looking for concerts/clubs/music stores to go to in FL!

Post by cupcake_love » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:32

hi,
i'm new to this forum and not sure if i'm posting in the correct section?
anyway, me and my boyfriend are going on vacation in florida (orlando/miami/south) from march 25th-april 2nd and would really love to go to a concert/club. we pretty much love twee, indiepop in general, new wave and northern soul, too.
does anybody know of any events in florida in that period of time or know if there's some kind of florida-indie-guide (or basically just any) i could find somewhere?
thanks in advance.

*EDIT: actually, any sort of guide could do, since we are into to anything american, like anything on disney channel.

is it true that spongebob squarepants has his homebase in florida, and does that mean that there are specific spongebob stores?

also, where do i find cool music stores, both records and instruments? i know my boyfriend would love to come home with either a theremin or a really cool mic. and i would surely love to get one of the following: Image

or

should these even be possible to aquire in FL?
Last edited by cupcake_love on Mon Mar 09, 2009 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
dont fall in love if you want to die in peace

String Bean Jen
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/

Re: looking for concerts/clubs to go to in FL!

Post by String Bean Jen » Fri Mar 06, 2009 19:59

cupcake_love wrote:hi,
anyway, me and my boyfriend are going on vacation in florida (orlando/miami/south) from march 25th-april 2nd and would really love to go to a concert/club. we pretty much love twee, indiepop in general, new wave and northern soul, too.
does anybody know of any events in florida in that period of time or know if there's some kind of florida-indie-guide i could find somewhere?
thanks in advance.
Oh goodness. Good luck! I've not really found any indie happenings in either Orlando or Miami. There is an ace band that I think are still based in Orlando. They're called Horse Shoes. Maybe you could message them.

Miami? Jeez. Tough one. There's a terrible chart indie club every Friday in kind of the downtown area. And the bar next to it is OK too (they have a really nice back patio with couches that you can sit on all night. Drink and chat = lovely!). I think one of these places I speak of is called PS14. Roque will have to correct me though!

Too bad we're missing each other as I'm visiting Miami this weekend. Best of luck!
There's more than one use for every part

cupcake_love
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/allishollow

Post by cupcake_love » Mon Mar 09, 2009 21:53

String Bean Jen wrote:
does anybody know of any events in florida in that period of time or know if there's some kind of florida-indie-guide i could find somewhere?
thanks in advance.
Oh goodness. Good luck! I've not really found any indie happenings in either Orlando or Miami. There is an ace band that I think are still based in Orlando. They're called Horse Shoes. Maybe you could message them.

Miami? Jeez. Tough one. There's a terrible chart indie club every Friday in kind of the downtown area. And the bar next to it is OK too (they have a really nice back patio with couches that you can sit on all night. Drink and chat = lovely!). I think one of these places I speak of is called PS14. Roque will have to correct me though!

Too bad we're missing each other as I'm visiting Miami this weekend. Best of luck!
thanks for all your tips! i'll definitely check with the back c:

unfortunately we won't be in miami until sunday, but either way, that place PS14 looks like something that would be kind of awesome for the night.

did you have a nice trip?
dont fall in love if you want to die in peace

String Bean Jen

Post by String Bean Jen » Tue Mar 10, 2009 03:37

cupcake_love wrote:
thanks for all your tips! i'll definitely check with the back c:

unfortunately we won't be in miami until sunday, but either way, that place PS14 looks like something that would be kind of awesome for the night.

did you have a nice trip?
Yes, very much so. Thank you. :-) [I was also introduced to your music this weekend if that is your band in your signature!]

Will you be renting a car? I think it's definitely a necessity in sprawling Florida cities and towns. And if you do have one, then you can go play mini/crazy golf at Boomers (an arcade thingee) in North Miami/Ft. Lauderdale! I think that's quite an American experience.

Maybe you could order that Girl Groups hat box on Amazon before you leave and then have it shipped to wherever you're staying in the States. I don't think I've ever seen it at a record store here.

squirrelboutique

Re: looking for concerts/clubs/music stores to go to in FL!

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue Mar 10, 2009 14:18

This is maybe not what you're interested in doing (well, it's not what you asked about), but I think it would be horrible to come to South Florida and not see the Everglades. There are really amazing nighttime airboat rides, which for sure beat being at a club or anyplace else you could see anywhere in the world outside of Florida.

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Tue Mar 10, 2009 18:28

squirrelboutique wrote:This is maybe not what you're interested in doing (well, it's not what you asked about), but I think it would be horrible to come to South Florida and not see the Everglades. There are really amazing nighttime airboat rides, which for sure beat being at a club or anyplace else you could see anywhere in the world outside of Florida.
Yeah! The everglades are fun. Get Scooter (not the band) to drive your airboat. The alligators are his friend.

horse shoes
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by horse shoes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 20:20

oh man, i saw this thread and got all excited, thinking maybe i'd find out about some cool indie stuff here in fl. i guess i'm alone in my principles. ha! my friends and i sometimes have fancy parties where we drink champagne, listen to music and wear our favorite sweaters. if you have a free night you could stop by my place and hang, we love meeting new friends!

love your band!
Shelflife.com

gloom button

Post by gloom button » Wed Mar 11, 2009 23:20

String Bean Jen wrote: Oh goodness. Good luck!
Really? I don't find it that much different to lots of other places, in that of course there's not things on every night in every town, but like anywhere there's little independent cafes, cinemas, wee gatherings like the one the post above talks about, and places like the Culture Room that bring innovative indie bands like Animal Collective, Jason Molina or Pernice Brothers down to play. Like anywhere, you have to look a bit, but that's not such a bad thing.
the trouble with personalities, they're too wrapped up in style
it's too personal; they're in love with their own guile

stolenwine
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/

Post by stolenwine » Wed Mar 11, 2009 23:25

yeah, if i was going to florida i'd totally want to enjoy the weather and see CROCODILES! i've seen photos of the everglades and everything looks pretty awesome.
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

String Bean Jen

Post by String Bean Jen » Thu Mar 12, 2009 18:52

does anybody know of any events in florida in that period of time or know if there's some kind of florida-indie-guide (or basically just any) i could find somewhere?
thanks in advance.
Ah, my memory's been jogged because you said you like new wave! I went to a pretty bog-standard but still entertaining 80s night at this place called the Independent Bar in Orlando two years ago. That night is every Saturday and every Friday looks to have a night called 'College Indie!' :-)

New Order!

mkgleeds
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mkgleeds

Post by mkgleeds » Mon Mar 16, 2009 00:02

Just got back from a few days in Miami (on the way back from the cricket) and it did seem like the least indiepop place in the world.
We were mainly in Miami Beach though - which i suspect is a little world all of its own.

Airboat ride in Evergaldes thoroughly recommended though.

Matt

Roque
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Roque » Mon Mar 16, 2009 04:55

The only indiepop place in Miami is my place (honestly and sadly). I live in Miami Beach, and yes it's a little world of it's own (the only bearable place to live in town). If anyone is around,don't be shy, Ill give you a tour around of course ;) I wouldn't have guessed there was people coming here at all!

I suggest the Everglades visit too, it's fun unless you dont like mosquitoes.
While there's still a war to win / My red dream is everything / They won't wake me / They won't wake me