clothes

fashion and glamour for the anorak about town

Moderator: let it ride

let it ride
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: clothes

Post by let it ride » Fri Feb 27, 2009 00:18

stolenwine wrote:yeah, i think most of the stuff i have is waaaaaaay past the one month limit. and all of it just looks wrong on me. i guess ebay is the only option if i want to make at least some of the money back.

i'm still trying to figure out what styles suit me best. sometimes i think i have it figured out but then i'll put something on and feel totally clueless again. i'd love for someone to tell me exactly what clothing styles suit my body type and what type of haircut/style best suits me too. i'm scared of trinny and susannah though.
HAH! Today I returned:
5 items at Primark
2 dresses at Topshop (not the ones I showed off here, I still really like those!)

I'm the same, absolutely. My specialty though, is being convinced something is great, take tags off, wear maybe once or twice before realising it's completely wrong for me. I do it SO often! But then, I also go in cycles of liking things, so stuff I have dismissed earlier can be "refound" later. It's silly, but my 10 quid dark skinny jeans from Primark are a thousand times lovelier and better than my 40 quid Topshop ones, that feel horrid in that saggybuttandhips-fit way. It's so random what's great.

Also, HELL yes I agree on the not knowing what suits you! Part of me wishes I was back in more formfitting days like what Joan wears in Mad Men. It's an awesome look when you're a curvy tall lady. But then again, it's so easy to feel all dress-up and I like being comfortable. Also when I wear dresses like that with flat shoes I feel a bit frumpy, so i'm hoping to find cute structured stuff that is still short, so I don't feel weird with my lack of heels. I like that New Look dress I bought for that, although it's admittedly more 40s. But I love that it is SO curve-friendly. Look how much cool stuff she wears:
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

stolenwine
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/

Post by stolenwine » Fri Feb 27, 2009 00:34

oh wow, i love her clothes/look. shame i'm way too curve-less to wear any of that to it's most flattering extent. astrid, if you don't want heels how about something with a tiny kitten heel?

on a side note, do you know christina hendricks (actress above) is going out with the impersonations dude out of undeclared? (y'know the one that rachel gets stuck on a dorm date with and all he does is impersonations the whole time and it freaks her out?). he did good!
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Fri Feb 27, 2009 00:44

stolenwine wrote:oh wow, i love her clothes/look. shame i'm way too curve-less to wear any of that to it's most flattering extent. astrid, if you don't want heels how about something with a tiny kitten heel?
To be honest, I have some shoes that are sort of an inch or two really, not too high at all and GORGEOUS, but I know it's just me not being used to them, but my legs get sooooo tired. Plus I feel like I'm way too tall. Maybe I WILL wear them tomorrow though, just to sass things up a little bit! It's fun. But yes, most of the time I just do flats because I like being able to walk a lot and I really can't when not in flats/trainers, not even in low heels. I think I might try to get some that have wider but not chunkier heels. And hello: You are not curve-less, plus, 90% of my natural likes look like crap on me because my boobs and hips get in the way of the silhouette/cut of a lot of things looking right! I'd kill for that kind of figure, I'm just trying to learn how to like my own more, because, while I am trying to lose weight and get more toned (she said eating cake...), I do really believe that people have a natural shape to them that's more or less what you get (like, your ribcage and proportions, long/short torso, long/short legs etc.) and that is not that changable. Amanda told me ages ago that Joan reminded her lots of me which is insanely flattering now that I'm watching the show! Also very inspirational, haha. I know I'm not actually Joan, I just like watching what might work on her AND me.
stolenwine wrote: on a side note, do you know christina hendricks (actress above) is going out with the impersonations dude out of undeclared? (y'know the one that rachel gets stuck on a dorm date with and all he does is impersonations the whole time and it freaks her out?). he did good!
Whaaaaat?! He did good indeed! Nuts. I love random couples like that. My favourite is from Buffy, Amber Benson who plays Tara is together with Adam Busch who plays Warren. Anyone who knows their Buffy history will know how freakey that is. If anyone hasn't sen and might, well, I don't want to spoil it!

Woodbine
Last.fm: www.lastharbour.co.uk

Post by Woodbine » Fri Feb 27, 2009 07:41

Joan is rather pneumatic, isn't she? She must have some serious underwear on, mind.

I reckon if you could fuse Joan's clothing with Betty's slightly more glam/girly stuff, that would be a pretty much perfect wardrobe.
Is evil just something you are, or something you do?

sarahluv

Post by sarahluv » Fri Feb 27, 2009 08:26

astrid, m+s have a lovely black curved seam dress in for £25. you should try it.

i have a few 50s/60s vintage suits. they are all very form fitting and i love them. god bless ebay.

i'm going to a wedding next week and i intend to be fully mad men'ed up!

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:49

ooh, thanks for the tip sarah! m+s have quite a lot of nice things lately, i've seen stuff in magazines that looks really nice.

i'm all mad men uped today! i think i might even wear my heels, i feel all friday fancy. and YES, i love betty's wardrobe too! they put some really striking colour combinations on all the women i think.

there's an article in the latest uk vogue about them and the wardrobe. i loved the description that they were not meant to be people who looked exactly like grace kelly, they were meant to look like real women wanting to look like grace kelly (in betty's case).

here's another nice collage i found online:
http://frugal-fashionistas.com/wp-conte ... madmen.jpg

Sylvie

Post by Sylvie » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:06

stolenwine wrote:i'm still trying to figure out what styles suit me best. sometimes i think i have it figured out but then i'll put something on and feel totally clueless again. i'd love for someone to tell me exactly what clothing styles suit my body type and what type of haircut/style best suits me too. i'm scared of trinny and susannah though.
Really? I would say your look is very 'together' and probably one of the most defined out of all the people I know. I'd say you know not to wear clothes that overwhelm your petite frame and probably shoulder length hair is the longest you should go for the same reason. The whole mod '60s style suits you so well because you have a great figure that suits Twiggy-ish outfits. I can imagine you looking ace in '50s peg trousers and short sleeved sweaters. Hope I wasn't too Trinny & Susannah there...
sarahluv wrote:you should try to personal shopping services at house of fraser/debenhams/topshop. i noticed today that gap now have a personal shopping service too.
I'm scared of personal shoppers, maybe because I don't like anyone telling me what I should be wearing. A shop assistant in a department store once asked me if I was a personal shopper. I was paranoid I had picked too many garments up or looked overstyled or something.

I'm so skint at the moment, I can't afford to buy anything. I have been looking on eBay a fair bit, but still restricting my purchases. I bought an amazing grey glitter stripe cardigan by French Connection for about £4 last month.
Just be nice to me.

yubo

Post by yubo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:30

let it ride wrote: I'm the same, absolutely. My specialty though, is being convinced something is great, take tags off, wear maybe once or twice before realising it's completely wrong for me. I do it SO often! But then, I also go in cycles of liking things, so stuff I have dismissed earlier can be "refound" later. It's silly, but my 10 quid dark skinny jeans from Primark are a thousand times lovelier and better than my 40 quid Topshop ones, that feel horrid in that saggybuttandhips-fit way. It's so random what's great.
I do that all the time. Except, sometimes I cut the tags, wash it and then never wear it! I hate when that happens. And that cycling of things. Sometimes things just need to age, or weight needs to be gained/lost or the style has to come the second (or third or fourth...) time for it to finally work. I like it when I have clothes from 10 years ago that I still wear regularly. More bang for my buck! I should start paying more attention to the "timeless" pieces I have in my closet and what I've only ever worn for a season, if at all, and keep those in mind the next time I'm in a store, online, window shopping...
Butt.

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Sat Feb 28, 2009 21:18

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, I have no self control. Seriously. In a really creepy and super wrong way!

I just went out to get a few things, some skincare stuff, a lipstick, maybe look at a few items (wanted: structured items/curve-surfin' items that gets the Mad Men nod but does not look like fancy dress, AND works for casual yet well-clad occassions in spring and summer). I bought the world!
I came home with:
Two dresses (black, so typical of me. I did try on 50s floral frocks too though, but it had a dodgy bustline that kind of stood out from the body)
One mint green short (duh) skirt
One white vest with red stripes
Three pairs of earrings
Two nighties
Cosy trousers for home
Five lace headbands

Eeek!

sarahluv

Post by sarahluv » Sat Feb 28, 2009 21:28

i love these shoes Image

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Sat Feb 28, 2009 23:34

Ooh, those are very pretty! I could never walk in heels that high.

If anyone wants to see some pics of what I bought today:

Two dresses:
Dress 1 full shot, and HERE showing a bit more of the cut which is the best bit
Dress 2 which is slinky draped vixenville on!
One mint green short (duh) skirt, Picture 1, Picture 2
One white vest with red stripes
Cropped cardigan with sequins
Three pairs of earrings
Five lace headbands, they're the only ones I like wearing.

yubo

Post by yubo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 06:16

nice shoes, nice clothes. good job.

I had an epiphany (not really) while I was trying on clothes in a store (Loehmanns, didn't buy anything) and am returning both dresses. I was trying on dresses (also by Theory and Pink Tartan) that were 10x more my style. When I tried them on, they looked so familiar on me (because they look like clothes I already own but don't) and I found that reassuring. (The Pink Tartan one was black with white piping but from the same era look as the blue/white one, just a little more muted, and the Theory one had short sleeves and a collar that buttoned to the throat.) I didn't buy either but it made me realize what suited me more in a practical way.

More importantly, I saw my credit card statement. Hopefully I won't change my mind between now and tomorrow afternoon when I'm planning to take them back.

However, I'm soon launching my new line of tote bags (coming soon) and if the sale (in two weeks) goes well, I might go and buy them back as a little treat.

thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it. I like coming here and talking mindlessly about clothes and not being judged for it!
Butt.

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Sun Mar 01, 2009 13:31

Thanks!

Yes, it's good isn't it? It can't always be serious.

Oh I know what you mean. Sometimes I try on random things just for fun, to see if maybe it'd fit me well, but most of the time now I go back to my basics. I used to be all about the elaborate outfits every day, but some weeks I just use the same type of t-shirt in different colours, with some big necklace or something to make it more fun, and different-coloured jersey skirts + tights, or dark jeans in slight variation every day. It's tremendous fun but you have to be in the right mood. Sometimes you want your safe outfits.

It's like summer. I always tell myself I'll be really experimental and wear lots of gorgeous things but I always end up having a "summer uniform" of comfy clothing that's sweat-resistant and doesn't look horrible, haha. Of course, I've now bought more summer clothes...

stolenwine

Post by stolenwine » Sun Mar 01, 2009 22:51

Sylvie wrote:
stolenwine wrote:i'm still trying to figure out what styles suit me best. sometimes i think i have it figured out but then i'll put something on and feel totally clueless again. i'd love for someone to tell me exactly what clothing styles suit my body type and what type of haircut/style best suits me too. i'm scared of trinny and susannah though.
Really? I would say your look is very 'together' and probably one of the most defined out of all the people I know. I'd say you know not to wear clothes that overwhelm your petite frame and probably shoulder length hair is the longest you should go for the same reason. The whole mod '60s style suits you so well because you have a great figure that suits Twiggy-ish outfits. I can imagine you looking ace in '50s peg trousers and short sleeved sweaters. Hope I wasn't too Trinny & Susannah there...
thanks, s! that's so nice to hear! i guess i've just been feeling a bit all-over-the-place lately when it comes to clothes and haircuts and i feel like i have no clue at all (or maybe my confidence is just gone or something). and thanks for the advice, it wasn't trinny and susannah at all. they scare me because sometimes they give the worst advice ever and i'm not a fan of either of their style.

i think yubo was mentioning this earlier, but there are loads of clothes that i wore with confidence a couple of years ago, and now i look at them and think 'nah, i can't get away with that!'. i'm not sure what has changed within the last few years, but it must be that i've got older/more self conscious or something? i have this awesome dress that is going to go to waste now because i don't feel confident in it anymore.

also, it IS so nice to come here and talk about clothes without feeling silly or shallow.
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

obo-bobolina

Post by obo-bobolina » Mon Mar 02, 2009 15:14

I tried on the BEST pair of jeans yesterday. There was no tag on them but I took them from a sale rale in House Of Fraser along with a couple of other pairs (including some Sevens that definitely were in the sale). Of the three, the tagless ones were by far the best and I crossed my fingers and asked how much they would be....but it turns out they were full price and I simply cannot warrant £205 for a pair of jeans, no matter how incredible they made my arse look. I plan to stalk them and snap them up as soon as there is a sale. Heh. They will still be silly money at half price! Of all the brands to fit me perfectly, why does it have to be such an expensive one? Nnng.

Today I decided to do a wee online search to see if they could be found any cheaper elsewhere and it seems not. I did, however, make my first ASOS purchase. I'm working on the basis that some of it is bound to have to go back....

A bikini (freya):

ImageImage

A long line blouse in pale grey:

Wide leg trousers:

And some short hunter wellies:

Give over.

miss deepfreeze

Post by miss deepfreeze » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:12

Last edited by miss deepfreeze on Fri Jun 24, 2011 22:51, edited 1 time in total.

cupcake_love
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/allishollow

Post by cupcake_love » Sat Mar 07, 2009 21:36

obo-bobolina wrote: A bikini (freya):

ImageImage
uh, that bikini is adorable. how much was it? and more importantly, does it look as good as in the pictures?
dont fall in love if you want to die in peace

obo-bobolina

Post by obo-bobolina » Sun Mar 08, 2009 19:35

It is that cute in real life, yeah, but sadly the top doesn't fit me very well. It's Freya so it is in theory the right size as I ordered the same as I wear in a bra, it's just not the right shape for me. It was something like £45 for the set from ASOS.
Give over.

stolenwine

Post by stolenwine » Mon Mar 16, 2009 01:10

does anyone know when the next orla kiely sample sale is on? i regret missing out last time.
--
stolen wine social

obo-bobolina

Post by obo-bobolina » Fri Mar 20, 2009 14:35

I'm waiting on another ASOS order. I returned the bikini (top was too small plus I don't actually need a bikini), the shirt (not fitted enough for my boobs to waist ratio) and the trousers (material really bad for picking up fluff which is a real shame because the fit was gorgeous) and instead ordered this dress.

ImageImage
Give over.