Indiepop high points 2007-2017

chunter on randomly
humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Indiepop high points 2007-2017

Post by humblebee » Thu May 18, 2017 9:20 am

This week I've been thinking about the last ten years of indiepop, because it's ten years ago this week since my first solo record came out. Of wider general interest, I expect, Indietracks marked its tenth anniversary last year. And it must be getting on for ten years since Anorak started up.

So I've blogged about some of my favourite moments from these last ten years. What are yours? As a fan or a musician, or a label/promoter/whatever else your involvement is in indiepop. Share them with Anorak, eh? We need a bit of a love-in.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Re: Indiepop high points 2007-2017

Post by Trev » Thu May 18, 2017 10:26 am

Lovely words, Pete. Stirred a fair few memories.

I am not sure where I'd begin with memories. But I'll have go with a couple of memories...

Spiral Scratch. I think my first Spiral Scratch show was Horowitz and The Bobby McGees. I am sure someone else played but my memory isn't what it once was. This was a gig upstairs at The Enterprise. A squalid little room, peeling paint on the ceiling. Horowitz were so goddam amazing that day (or any day for that matter) but this was the first time I'd seen them. They were so incredibly LOUD. I mean I like loud distorted guitars (yeah, what?) but this was another level. It was so loud that the band somehow managed to blow out the electrics in the venue. So then the Bobby McGees played completely acoustic, revelling in the situation, and the whole audience (40 or thereabouts) were transfixed. I don't think I ever liked the Bobby McGees more than this. But this show was the show where I fell in love with Horowitz. So yeah, the Spiral Scratch folks put on lots of great popshows and they threw dance parties in bewildered pubs. I, for one, didn't look back. This gig happpened at the tail end of 2006. By April 2007 I'd started promoting shows with Savo as Lost Music (later with IndieMP3 Tom). Directly inspired by this show.

Lost Music's first ever gig. April 20th 2007. We were complete novices. We booked The Luminaire, which seems foolish now. A 250 capacity venue for a show with 3 bands no-one had really heard of. The first of which have gone on to be friends for life. Who? The Manhattan Love Suicides. We planned this gig for about 4 months and they were my pop crush of the moment (they still are, just don't tell them, alright). We booked The Gresham Flyers too. And Silver Springs. Both of whom were making something close to indiepop and they had a lot of London friends (lucky for us!) and so the night went. We charged £8 to get in. The venue was nearly full (an achievement I get more proud as the years go on, as the crowds start to dwindle). But curiously, hardly anyone at the show knew what to expect from The Manhattan Love Suicides. They got 23 minutes of ferocious noise. They got blown away. I fell in love with a sound all over again. 6 months later we'd started a record label and our debut release on Lost Music was a beautiful little 7" pressed in a small pressing plant in Hackney by The Manhattan Love Suicides.

My first Indietracks was the first weekend shindig in the summer of 2007. Band members out numbered 'us' (the punters) by what looked like 2 to 1. I was in awe. I was walking around meeting people (many internet 'friends' for the first time) and we were all grinning like fools. I think my jaw ached from all the smiling. The chaos of the merch table is indelibly etched on my brain. The music was fab, too. The beer was fab, too. The whole bloody thing was fab. There were sing-alongs on platforms. Oh yeah, there were steam trains. STEAM TRAINS and POP SONGS!

I realise these three memories are all from 2006/2007 time. There are loads more but these will be have to be fleeting, scatter gun memories:

Seeing Standard Fare for the first time! Countless trips to Stoke or Nottingham for pop shows! Pop show curries all over the UK! Going to New York Popfest with the Horowitz chaps. Dandelion Radio and the festive 50 and being amazed every year an Odd Box release gets voted in. Odd Box Records and not being indiepop enough or being too indiepop depending on who you talk to (for the record odd box is indiepop enough for me and that's all that matters). WeePOP! Records being amazing. The first flush of Cloudberry and their 3" CDr singles. Doing the Odd Box Weekender for 5 years. London Popfest. In fact the explosion of popfests all over the place filled me with happiness.

More than anything though I'll take the amazing friendships I've been lucky enough to make as the most cherished thing about the last 10 or 11 years.
not really here

humblebee

Post by humblebee » Thu May 18, 2017 12:21 pm

Wonderful post, Trev - thanks for sharing! Yeah, I miss Spiral Scratch - the club nights were fantastic too.

There are loads of other things I could have mentioned on that blog post. The Pop Miwsig guy at the first Indietracks who made a T-shirt out of my post on here about buying a cordless hair straightener. The spread-out mini-tour when I supported MJ Hibbett in autumn 2007, and we played Glasgow, Manchester and Bristol on successive days. Gigging with the sublime Slow Down Tallahassee when we were The Pete Green Corporate Juggernaut. And opening a CD for my 40th birthday with cover versions of my songs recorded specially by some of my favourite bands. Awww!

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Thu May 18, 2017 8:16 pm

That's a great article Pete. At about three quarters of the way through I was thinking "he's not written about Stoke!" and was going to come here and admonish you about it but then you made it more than alright at the end.

I may have to disagree with you about the best gig ever - that for me would be The Middle Ones, Haiku Salut, Oxo Foxo and Plouf! in the little room upstairs in the Rutland. It's very close though. That was also in 2011 - must have been a good year for music.

I've have more thoughts to add but not enough time to write them at the moment but I just want to say this period is dominated by indietracks. We are so lucky to have it and I sometimes I'm amazed it exists. So much fun times happen on those three days every year.

Wheatabeat
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Wheatabeat » Thu May 18, 2017 9:14 pm

I don't think I could create any kind of list as I don't feel well enough qualified in "teh indiepop wayz" and most of the last ten years has consisted of me doing more boring adult things like buying a house, getting married and having a baby and less fun, carefree things like going to gigs a reckless amount of times.

However helping out at Going Up The Country with Kev and Linda was always a massive highlight. I think all my high points generate from that little big pub in Congleton! Also doing those Belle & Sebastian discos at the Star & Garter, we had some brilliant nights when that blessed place was free from the threat of closure. Sigh.
Fuck your tea room.

Dan Pop-o-matic
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Fri May 19, 2017 2:14 pm

Great post Pete!

I'll have a think about this and post something later. For now I'm just glad that I've put on the two best popshows ever. According to Pete and Tonieee.

indiehorse
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by indiehorse » Tue May 23, 2017 8:56 pm

2007 was the year I got my first DSLR, so I guess I'll attempt my decade in indiepop in pictures...

We'll start off aptly with a picture of one Pete Green, in April 2007, playing at Jaynie's birthday party. Also on the bill: Monkey Swallows the Universe, Horowitz and Lard Pony. Prior to the gig there was some classic park club action. This was peak Nottingham.

July of this year is the first time I see the Deirdres. They're playing an Indietrack's warm up gig. They instantly become my favourite band ever. Neither I nor the Deirdres attend Indietracks this year.

Image Image

Bearsuit at Junktion 7, August 2007. The Bobby McGees at Lee Rosy's, October 2007.

2008 is my first Indietracks. It's the best time ever. Above is a photo of Mexican Kids at Home in the Church. The highlights was the Deirdres and Smittens back-to-back. This was the year of the dinosaur trousers.

Here's a photo of Horowitz supporting the Pains at the Social in December 2008.

The Just Joans at the Nottingham Indiepop Alldayer 2009 at Bunkers Hill Inn. Standard Fare and solo Allo Darling also play that year.

The Parallelograms, July 2010.

I stop taking photos for a few years after this. Not sure why. Who know's what I did in these years without photos to remind me.

I might come back and write a "part 2". I might just leave it at that.

humblebee

Post by humblebee » Wed May 24, 2017 10:40 am

indiehorse wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 8:56 pm
I might come back and write a "part 2". I might just leave it at that.
I hope you do James. Fantastic post, beautiful pics, beautiful times. I'm in bits thinking about the Deirdres. They always do that to me. So do your dinosaur trousers, for that matter.

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:25 pm

Indietracks 2008 - plucked up the courage to meet some of the weird internet people and see what this world was all about. Probably a life-changing experience.
The Deirdres are joy incarnate and ballboy blow me away.

The Lucksmiths in Glasgow, 2008 - Travel from Stornoway to see The Lucksmiths play their last ever gig outside of Australia with fantastic support from The Felt Tips and The Second Hand Marching Band. Am a nervous wreck attending thi son my own but since it's possibly my favourite gig of all time I guess it was worth it. The Lucksmiths are bliss.

The Hermit Crabs, Bubblegum Lemonade, Very Truly Yours and Math & Physics Club, Glasgow 2011 - I live in Glasgow now and seem to have joined an indiepop band. That experience won't turn out to be the most rewarding but it will lead to a whole host of other stuff so that's ok. My first time playing live since High School. We're pretty good. The next two bands are very good. Math and Physics Club are incredible. The crowd at The Captain's Rest (such a missed venue in Glasgow - screw you pub developers!) won't let them leave. Eventually they run out of their own songs. Eventually they run out of covers too. I think everyone's pretty satisfied by this point. A few days later they'll conquer indietracks.

Standard Fare, Nottingham all-dayer 2012 - not to be down on the rest of the day at all (it was my first time seeing Martha for a start) but it was all about Standard Fare really. We didn't even know it was the last time a lot of us would ever see the play but we seemed to act like it anyway. I properly let myself be taken over by the music - those tunes - that voice! We dance, we sweat and we nearly take the ceiling down with us!

Pop!South, 2013-2017 - putting on gigs is never something I'd have contemplated doing if I hadn't been introduced to this world. It almost felt like it was my duty to give something back!
Highlights are hard to choose, but selling out our first gig is a good start and having Gordon from ballboy (flashbacks to indietracks 2008) close it for us seems pretty special. One of those nights where the room feels a bit magical.

The first time we put on Haiku Salut (more flashbacks of a sort to Indietracks 2008) I notice it's nearly their stage time and head down the corridor to the green room to find them. I notice the venue has suddenly hushed and return to find the three of them have simply started playing Watanabe on the piano that sits beside the stage. The crowd are enraptured and they will continue to be for the rest of the night.

We foolishly decide to put on a Weekender of sorts and somehow it works. Our post dinner line-up for the first day ends up being TeenCanteen, Martha, The Spook School and The Just Joans. I am very drunk and very happy.

We put on Spook School 7 times over the course of our existence. The first time to a crowd of 14 and the last time headlining the Saturday night of our final weekender to a sold-out, exhilarated crowd. Watching them grow and succeed has been one of the great pleasures of the past few years.

Allo Darlin', London 2016 - not sure if it's even my favourite Allo Darlin' live experience (Indietracks and Edinburgh from 2014 spring to mind) but I'm sure glad I made the effort to be there. It can't but feel like the end of an era but it's also a celebration. A band and performance I'll always cherish.