Your favourite cover versions...

chunter on randomly
indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Re: Your favourite cover versions...

Post by indiansummer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:22

linus wrote:some of the bands on that album make me wanna'... I don't know... spit?

ugh!
Who and why?
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

linus

Post by linus » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:26

who? doesn't really matter and why? because they're not to my taste

I also get a sense that many of them kind of needed to be asked, there's a lot of alt-rocking royalty there, folks who got to a certain level and stay there solely because of past achievements rather being creatively much cop now (or rather then when the album was made)

not that it matters at all

but it should matter

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:44

Maybe... i think Mercury Rev hit a creative peak some time ten years or so ago, and haven't really picked up from there other than to try to remake their best albums... although i suppose that depends whether Mercury Rev are to your taste.

Some of that alt-rocking royalty (if we're gonna stick with that phrase, and i know whatcha mean) is still producing interesting stuff in my opinion though... Beck's recent stuff has surprised me by being really good, frinstance. The Dangermouse collaboration, i mean.

Yah, i think i know what you're getting at, although if half the point of a tribute album (and maybe it isn't) is to get the kids onto someone awesome by having someone else more 'contemporary' (a bad word?) cover the old dude/dudette's songs cos they like 'em... in that sense it's pretty cool that some teenage emo/indie kids might get onto Johnston cos Bright Eyes is essentially saying 'hey kids, this songwriter is so good he makes me wish i'd written this song - enough to want to have a go at it'... i think covers can remind you that musicians are fans too, if it matters... is an album of covers that, as you say, don't really matter... is it really enough to make you spit, ratehr than, say shrug and carry on?

Oh Christ, i don't know. i never know what the point is in music. Wallace Stevens said "it is life we are trying to get at in poetry". Is music the same? Fuck knows. i spend ages trying to work out what we're trying to get at in music and every time i develop a theory i shoot it down with another kneejerk reaction about how shit something is. and theni get all cod-philosophical about it, and talking about this shit is always a dumb idea because if no-one likes a clever bastard, CERTAINLY no-one likes a pseud. Ultimately, a lot of it matters to me and a lot of what does is ephemera, and ultimately my rights are someone else's wrongs and all that...

Fucking hell. Imagine if i smoked weed.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:56

indiansummer wrote:Maybe... i think Mercury Rev hit a creative peak some time ten years or so ago, and haven't really picked up from there other than to try to remake their best albums... although i suppose that depends whether Mercury Rev are to your taste..
Mercury Rev hit their creative peak over 17 years ago, for me! It's been a very fast ride down hill ever since...... They were great when I saw them a few times in the early 90s (1990/1991/1992 I can't remember the exact year.....)
not really here

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:00

I've got Yerself Is Steam and i like bits, but Dave's voice is a bit 'wacky' for me, i'm afraid... although i did put Chasing A Bee on an awful lot of mix tapes.

i do think their commercial peak produced two outstanding albums though. Possibly has a lot to do with me being aged 16-19 when they came out.

everard

Post by everard » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:01

linus wrote:kathy mccarty 'living life' (mccarty did a whole album of daniel covers and this song from it turned up on the soundtrack of the film 'before sunrise', the video is on youtube but, boy, does she go in for some histrionic earnest singer-songwriter emoting and facepulling... it's a shame because on record this is a pretty lovely version of an already lovely song)
hadn't seen the video before, i agree it's pretty cheesy. i blame the 90s. but the whole of her dead dog's eyeball: songs of daniel johnston album is brilliant, i definitely prefer several of her versions to the originals. i see there's a tenth anniversary edition, i wish it would hit uk emusic so i can download the bonus songs.

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:03

indiansummer wrote:i do think their commercial peak produced two outstanding albums though. Possibly has a lot to do with me being aged 16-19 when they came out.
Deserters Songs is really great, but everything I've heard since sounds like they've been trying to repeatedly make the same album again, with diminishing returns. And when I saw them live at Reading one year they were INCREDIBLY boring.

Generally I think that compilation looks great, though. Definitely nothing on there that would make me spit!

linus

Post by linus » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:05

everard wrote:
linus wrote:kathy mccarty 'living life' (mccarty did a whole album of daniel covers and this song from it turned up on the soundtrack of the film 'before sunrise', the video is on youtube but, boy, does she go in for some histrionic earnest singer-songwriter emoting and facepulling... it's a shame because on record this is a pretty lovely version of an already lovely song)
hadn't seen the video before, i agree it's pretty cheesy. i blame the 90s. but the whole of her dead dog's eyeball: songs of daniel johnston album is brilliant, i definitely prefer several of her versions to the originals. i see there's a tenth anniversary edition, i wish it would hit uk emusic so i can download the bonus songs.
ooh, I say... I haven't put it on in ages but I do like the album a lot

I think the mctells used to do a cover of 'museum of love' live

I just remembered that... not that it's of interest to anyone else, I'm sure

String Bean Jen
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/

You've reminded me of...

Post by String Bean Jen » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:12

indiansummer wrote:
linus wrote:I think they are kind of gorgeous in and of themselves
Well, yeh... perfectly imperfect, or the other way round, or whatever. Awesome either way.
'There is splendor in the harshness of bum...' :-)
There's more than one use for every part

everard

Post by everard » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:21

ok, well, maybe "prefer [k. mccarty's] versions to the originals" is overstating it. but there are definitely songs she interpreted in a way that made me notice them as great songwriting for the first time, and go back and pay more attention to the originals. which is the whole point of a tribute album. also this album was done before there was really a daniel johnston bandwagon to jump on so i appreciate it for that reason too.

everard

Post by everard » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:47

more beat happening covers:

-- "red head walking" & "indian summer" by r.e.m.
-- "bad seeds" by the barcelona pavilion
-- "cat walk" by the cannanes (not exactly a cover, their version is called "sweater" & i think calvin wrote it for them before it became a b.h. song ... there's one other song that exists in different cannanes & beat happening versions but i forget what. he also wrote the cannanes song "we drink bitter").
-- there must be tons more. some are listed here. i'm sure i have at least one cover of "foggy eyes" but it's not by seaweed.

the cannanes & unrest songs on the fortune cookie prize tribute lp are originals, not covers

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:57

I'm intrigued by teh Kathy McCarty album... if i wanted to pick it up, what kinda thing would i find?

i don't really understand downloading i'm afraid...

colleenallcars
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/instantkarma445

Post by colleenallcars » Fri Jun 05, 2009 18:17

Well, I've been trying to figure out that Indian Summer thing still. I really thought it might be R.E.M. there for a second, but it definitely wasn't. Oh well. I'll figure it out someday.

I love Cub's cover of Cast a Shadow.
Ah man!
Beat Happening covers are the best.

Also I'm really impressed with the Los Campesinos! cover of C is the Heavenly Option. Really impressed.

jayen_aitch
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jayen_aitch/

Post by jayen_aitch » Fri Jun 05, 2009 18:23

String Bean Jen wrote: Ever heard any of the songs on the Human League tribute album that Stephin Merritt helped put together? It's called Reproductions. Chicagoans The Aluminum Group actually cover the song you speak of! My favorite cover on there is probably Baxendale's '(Keep Feeling) Fascination'.
No, I have not... it sounds as thought I may well be missing out.

That is a lot of beat happening covers, I never knew.

linus

Post by linus » Fri Jun 05, 2009 23:04

adam green does a cover of 'cast a shadow' too

iainmayfield

Post by iainmayfield » Tue Jun 23, 2009 14:24

I am currently enjoying the Also Rans version of "Dare" by the wedding present.........especially the bit where the third guitar kicks in...

PurpleHippo
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by PurpleHippo » Tue Jun 23, 2009 16:16

The Kitchens Of Distinction do a very fine cover version of White Horses.
Love the Magic Whispers cover of the Deep Freeze Mice's Examine The Insects And Hit Them.
It was easy, it was cheap, go and do it!
http://turntablerevolution.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Mon Sep 07, 2009 08:57

Galaxie 500's version of 'Don't Let Our Youth Go to Waste' is the best cover version of all time, and that's a fact.

It also seems very apt for a Monday morning.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Mon Sep 07, 2009 15:40

Laibach's "Leben Heißt Leben" (Life is life) is pretty ace for shouting made-up German to.

EISEN HÜNTZEN SCHMETZEN NEIZEN HRUUUUUUUUGHHH!!!!

Or something.
There ain't no-one gonna turn me round

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Mon Dec 21, 2009 03:21

Speaking as someone who actually managed to bawl seeing the Monkees play this live, I love this cover more than the original: