shit that totally makes you shiver

chunter on randomly

noLooking

Re: shit that totally makes you shiver

Post by noLooking » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:53 pm

A bit of a cliché maybe, but the bit at the end of "Cattle and Cane" always completely destroys me. I don't even like the rest of the song all that much, it's good, I can see that it's 'great' even, in that slightly abstract way that you can look at things which are loved by everyone and, even though you don't fully react to them in that way, you can see the appeal...

But the end, the whole "da-da-da-da" bit, with Grant saying "further, higher" and all that, it just sends a wave of unbelievable joy right through me every time, it's like the culmination of all those hopes and daydreams encapsulated into this one, impossibly perfect moment and it's absolutely fucking awesome. If I were to choose one absolutely unimprovable moment in the history of pop music, it would be this.

Is that a shiver? Close enough, I think.

michael
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by michael » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:40 am

Near the beginning of "Finisterre", straight after you see the train leaving South Croydon station, there's about 40 seconds of film shot from one of its windows looking east. It's actually in four parts but they're fitted together so that you only just notice that, and for most of it the train line is slightly elevated.

First you see the second storeys of houses, with the tops of trees and a glimpse of other structures in the distance. Then you see over the roofs of commercial buildings, and then between gasometers, with taller buildings visible behind both. Finally you see the power station at Battersea, with cranes on the river and office blocks downstream.

It's hard to say exactly what's so fascinating about that piece of film but I think it's to do with the way the elevated view shows you the city both close up and far away at the same time. And I think it's also to do with the fact that the view is changing. At the beginning of the film there are several still shots of the city from higher vantage points, and I never get tired of watching those either, but the view from the train adds something different.

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:05 pm

The intake of breath near the beginning of Bleak and Beautiful (All Things) by Haiku Salut.

Does something to me.