your favourite record shops?

chunter on randomly
everard

your favourite record shops?

Post by everard » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:05

(this may already be a thread, i searched but couldn't find one though. if it is, please merge)

vinyl (aka vinyl japan) in tokyo is the best record shop i've ever been to. so good, in fact, that i had to tell my bf to toddle off & entertain himself for a few hours. it seemed to have pretty much everything ever, early rough trade, all the original tvp's records, loads of cool 80s/90s indie records. reasonable prices too. in a way it was difficult to deal with -- normally there are only a few things i want; there there were only a few things i didn't. tokyo was awesome for records in general.

distortion in amsterdam is pretty great, massively overcrowded with records but plenty of gems. it's moved down the road now, even though it's pretty similar i somehow preferred the old shop really. and fort van sjakoo always used to have lots of cool slampt & similar underground stuff, tho it's primarily a radical bookshop.

amoeba in sf/ berkeley is huge and exciting, but requires more effort to sift through the dross. that's another place i spent hours in.

bimbo tower & born bad in paris are both great shops. neither deals specifically with what i'm into (b.t. = noise/ experimental/ japanese stuff, b.b.= garage & psych) but there's enough overlap to always enjoy visiting & they're clearly run by people who know their shit. same goes for aquarius in san francisco. also sounds of the universe & honest jon's in london.

in the uk, rough trade is probably my favourite. overpriced, but inescapable. lots of others are good (e.g. punker bunker & all ages) but what i'm finding right now is that most things i want are available online/direct, usually from the states, for less money even including postage.

shops i've not been to but want to include mississippi (portland), jackpot (portland), academy (brooklyn)

i'm interested to know what people's favourite record shops are (or were).
Last edited by everard on Wed Oct 15, 2008 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Re: your favourite record shops?

Post by Trev » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:11

I usually try and buy direct from the small indiepop labels. When I can't do that I try and use the following:

Norman Records
Fraction Discs
Thee SPC

I used to use Rough Trade mail order - but delivery times were always longer than Norman. I rarely walk into a real record shop these days. I used to like RT covent garden - but that's gone and RT East is ok - but I don't find myself in that part of the world that often.
not really here

PurpleHippo
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by PurpleHippo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:35

Sheffied Collector's Record Shop near Walkley. Always find something there.
Not always cheap but they don't know their indie that well so the odd bargain to be had.

Alan's in Finchley, a good bloke and a decent selection of stuff although these days
he's more into collecting reggae.

Amoeba was great in SF and Berkeley when I went there a couple of years ago.
I think I broke my girlfriend's back with the amount of vinyl we come home with.
I carried some too btw.

There's a mad shop in Nottingham which is heaving with vinyl from the floor
to the roof. I've heard tell of legendary finds in there but you need the patience
of Mother Theresa to go through it all. Like the Nottingham Selectadisc too.

Decent shop in Ely where I found the first Darling Buds single.

Flashback in Islington is ok. Davids in Letchworth is not bad either.
A place in Chester called Pink and Grey, I think, is good.

Snooper's Paradise in Brighton is usually worth a visit. Last xmas I found a treasure trove
of indie flexis in there. For a few minutes I believed in God.

Bexhill has a good shop if you're into old chart hits. Eastbourne has a shop but it's only for
those who are fascinated by rather obvious collectables.

There was a strange place in Hartlepool in the backstreets in what appeared to be someone's
house. Probably long gone as I was there back in 2000.

Oh and MVE of course. The staff in Camden are completely clueless about indie stuff. The
Dolly Mixture LP for £12. How I chuckled as I snapped that up. Love the deletions section
in the Notting Hill branch. Very rarely do not spend money in there.

RIP the following: Sellanby in Eastcote and Harrow, the two shops in Addlestone, Big Apple in
Nottingham (or something with apple in the title), both Avids in Oxford and Bournemouth, a shop in Boston, Lincs, a shop in Hastings and all the Reckless shops.

I'm sure I've forgotten some.
It was easy, it was cheap, go and do it!
http://turntablerevolution.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:43

And I haven't been in second hand shop in ages. I do miss second hand record shopping.
not really here

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:47

PurpleHippo wrote: There's a mad shop in Nottingham which is heaving with vinyl from the floor
to the roof. I've heard tell of legendary finds in there but you need the patience

That's Rob's Records. He's the Mr Trebus of the record shop world.

Shergar works as his assistant.

PurpleHippo

Post by PurpleHippo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:51

I misread Shergar (ha ha) as Sheggie, singer of the Fat Tulips and Melons and
one time resident of Nottingham. I thought that a bit strange as she now lives
in the US, as far as I know.
It was easy, it was cheap, go and do it!
http://turntablerevolution.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:52

We still like to pretend The Melons live in Nottingham. It makes the world a better place.

lynsosaurus

Post by lynsosaurus » Wed Oct 15, 2008 17:48

everard wrote:same goes for aquarius in san francisco.
i totally loved that store! most of the stuff they were selling wasn't entirely the kind of stuff i tend to listen to, but the staff reviews/descriptions on the cds made me want to buy everything in there.

boney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boneyboy

Post by boney » Wed Oct 15, 2008 18:23

Edgeworld in Brighton is stunning for your skronkier end of things, Japanese noise and old limited edition weird and doom/stoner schtuff.

Wah Wah in Barcelona is however the best record shop I've ever been in. If only it were cheaper. It even has a cat.

everard

Post by everard » Wed Oct 15, 2008 18:44

lynsosaurus wrote:i totally loved [aquarius]! most of the stuff they were selling wasn't entirely the kind of stuff i tend to listen to, but the staff reviews/descriptions on the cds made me want to buy everything in there.
are you on their email list? they really go to town with the weekly reviews, they must spend most of their time at work writing them!

norman records are good about writing their own reviews too, of course. much more interesting than just using the bits the label write (i thought rough trade wrote the stuff on their website til i had to provide them with something for a record i put out)
craigboney wrote:Edgeworld in Brighton is stunning
i used to love edgeworld when i lived in brighton, and always pop in when i'm in town, but ten years on it still seems to have an awful lot of the same stock. i was talking with the guy working in there, he said loads of people in brighton don't even know the shop is there, because the manager won't advertise & there's nothing at street level, just the sign outside the first floor window :-(

a really nice new little shop in london is the dream machine in east dulwich (89 lordship lane, SE22 8EP) which is in the basement of a greasy spoon cafe. fairly varied, interesting stock, quite heavy on the 90s space rock (lots of old stuff on rocket girl). great people running the place, they seem very keen on it being a kind of social space as well as shop, and want to support small labels, so take your records in there.

Tomb
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tomb242

Post by Tomb » Wed Oct 15, 2008 20:02

PurpleHippo wrote:Flashback in Islington is ok.
That was my favourite record shop for ages. Found some good stuff in there. If anyone knows any good record shops in bedford or Strevenage feel free to let me know.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:07

a layer of chips wrote:
PurpleHippo wrote: There's a mad shop in Nottingham which is heaving with vinyl from the floor

That's Rob's Records. He's the Mr Trebus of the record shop world.

Shergar works as his assistant.
I was going to suggest Rob's but you guys beat me to it. It's certainly an experience. It's as if someone took the roof off, dropped in several skip loads of vinyl and then put the roof back. It's a celebration of the utterly random. I don't know if you have noticed but there is so much stuff just piled up in there that windows (those little leaded panes) are literally buckled outward under the weight. It's only the bars that prevent the whole lot just bursting through and sliding out into the alleyway. I love the way you can ask him if he has something in particular and he'll say "yes I think so, it's over there somewhere" and points you at a huge pile of random stuff.
In Recordeo Speramus

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:08

He does seem to know where everything is, doesn't he? It's really weird.

soft revolution
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duncydunc

Post by soft revolution » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:23

This sounds like a place I stumbled across in Stockholm's Sodermalm. There was a really small tight cramped entrance with a few CDs and then you go through into a corridor style record shop with racks both sides but you can carry on going and you end up in a room full of all the 12" vinyl in the world.

Tempest in Brum is good for a range of new stuff, but like everyone else I miss the Plastic Factory.
And by me, I mean, Flexo.

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:37

Uncle Ants wrote:I was going to suggest Rob's but you guys beat me to it. It's certainly an experience. It's as if someone took the roof off, dropped in several skip loads of vinyl and then put the roof back. It's a celebration of the utterly random. I don't know if you have noticed but there is so much stuff just piled up in there that windows (those little leaded panes) are literally buckled outward under the weight. It's only the bars that prevent the whole lot just bursting through and sliding out into the alleyway. I love the way you can ask him if he has something in particular and he'll say "yes I think so, it's over there somewhere" and points you at a huge pile of random stuff.
Sounds exactly like Backbeat Records in Edinburgh which is run by a maniac, who is the only person in the world who understands his complex filing system and which record is in which box (again, piled up to the ceiling and in completely random order) and where you never know when he will shout at you for wasting his time or be the most helpful man you will ever encounter. A shop you can easily spend a day in, unless you turn up there and there's a sign on a closed door saying "gone record buying in Europe, back in a week" or something similar.

I like Monorail in Glasgow, mainly because it stocks the kind of music I like and there's always the added bonus of you buying records offof Stephen Pastel. My one Pastel-Monorail anecdote is the time me and a pal went in and my pal went to buy the second Ali Roberts LP. Pastel went looking for it but couldn't find it, sighed wistfully and opined "somebody's misfiled it..." (if you've ever heard King Of Partick's Pastel impersonation, say those last 3 words in that stylee). Monorail's still the only shop I've bought a record off by the person behind the counter - went in once with the express intention of buying the first Park Attack LP only to see the PA drummer behind the counter. She was naturally quite pleased that I was buying their record.
They don't call me Hawkeye Gilhooley... at all

Damian
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/peppermint_fox

Post by Damian » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:18

Where the hell is Rob's records? I still can't find it.

I thought it was down that alley next to the Alley Cafe or failing that down the one with Kookamaras on it, but I've not seen a record shop fitting the description. I want to go.

My favourite record shop is probably Action Records in Preston, better for CDs than vinyl, but I've picked up some pretty great record bargains there too.

The 'Music and Vinyl' exchanges or whatever they're called, in London are pretty ace. The one in Greenwich is good, but there's at least two in central london which are fantastic. Sadly I forget exactly where they are, which is, sadly, totally useless.

Oh yes, and obviously Vinyl Exchange in Manchester, although recently they seem to have discovered that vinyl can actually be worth money, so even the worst kind of Jasmine Minks record now goes for £16+

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:22

It is down that alley. You wouldn't know it was a record shop from the outside because it looks like it sells rubbish and dust.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:48

a layer of chips wrote:It is down that alley. You wouldn't know it was a record shop from the outside because it looks like it sells rubbish and dust.
You mean it looks like it did sell rubbish and dust until it closed about ten years ago and was abandoned with the entire stock of rubbish and dust in situ ... I don't mean it did close ten years ago ... just that you could be mistaken for thinking so on casually walking past.
In Recordeo Speramus

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:49

It reminds me of an Eastern bloc sex shop.

jannerboy
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/thewelfarestate

Post by jannerboy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 13:25

everard wrote:a really nice new little shop in london is the dream machine in east dulwich (89 lordship lane, SE22 8EP) which is in the basement of a greasy spoon cafe. fairly varied, interesting stock, quite heavy on the 90s space rock (lots of old stuff on rocket girl). great people running the place, they seem very keen on it being a kind of social space as well as shop, and want to support small labels, so take your records in there.
Looks like they are in a bit of trouble at the moment, which I suppose isn't surprising in the current climate.

http://www.dreammachinerecords.co.uk/

However, I did help their cause yesterday by spending 30 odd quid on a load of 90s seven inches (Animals that Swim, Tunic, Quickspace, Clinic, Bis etc) - well worth a visit, especially if you're on the look out for that kind of stuff, plus they need the money at the moment.