Camera Obscura

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

miss deepfreeze
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:14

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by miss deepfreeze » Wed Jun 17, 2009 00:26

.
Last edited by miss deepfreeze on Fri Jun 24, 2011 22:50, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gogogadgetpop
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 23:58
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/gogogadgetpop
Location: Connecticut / Toronto
Contact:

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by gogogadgetpop » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:20

Saw them the other night, and they were wonderful as ever. I really do love the new songs. I asked Tracy Ann if she was excited about Indietracks. She said she wasn't.

User avatar
Stainless Steven
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 16:21
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Los Leeds
Contact:

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by Stainless Steven » Tue Jun 30, 2009 16:58

miss deepfreeze wrote: Having to get up really early after having played the night the before to go and do a radio show on your 'day off' probably doesn't help! :)
Mmm it's a Hard life isn't it:)
I do like CO but I've seen them live a few times and Tracyanne always looks like somebody has just stole her favourite dress...David Gedge maybe?
I mean i don't expect cartwheels obviously...well.

User avatar
RITH
Posts: 3355
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 08:35
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH
Location: Almere
Contact:

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by RITH » Tue Jun 30, 2009 17:12

Stainless Steven wrote:I do like CO but I've seen them live a few times and Tracyanne always looks like somebody has just stole her favourite dress...David Gedge maybe?
I mean i don't expect cartwheels obviously...well.
I wast just reading the Chickfactor blog:
I just saw camera obscura in portland, oregon, and I wish I'd gone backstage before the show to pop open the champagne and tickle them all silly. they sounded just dandy, but man, they all looked as if their pets had just passed away. bored. joyless. going thru the motions. really just not into it. too bad, they're so close to being so good. but you gotta give us more than that! (the photo above indicates they are going for a very serious, melancholy image, but a little energy can go a long way onstage...)
I've not seen them yet, so I don't have my opinion. I do like energetic bands though, or at least bands that show you they're enjoying what they're doing. I'm looking forward to seeing them, and hopefully I'll catch them on a happy day.

User avatar
godsmonkey
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 15:30

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by godsmonkey » Tue Jun 30, 2009 17:26

I've seen them twice and both times they played great, but were miserable as sin. I like it though. It gives them a special charm all of their own!

a layer of chips
Posts: 18616
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 09:17
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by a layer of chips » Tue Jun 30, 2009 17:38

RITH wrote:
Stainless Steven wrote:I do like CO but I've seen them live a few times and Tracyanne always looks like somebody has just stole her favourite dress...David Gedge maybe?
I mean i don't expect cartwheels obviously...well.
I wast just reading the Chickfactor blog:
I just saw camera obscura in portland, oregon, and I wish I'd gone backstage before the show to pop open the champagne and tickle them all silly. they sounded just dandy, but man, they all looked as if their pets had just passed away. bored. joyless. going thru the motions. really just not into it. too bad, they're so close to being so good. but you gotta give us more than that! (the photo above indicates they are going for a very serious, melancholy image, but a little energy can go a long way onstage...)
I've not seen them yet, so I don't have my opinion. I do like energetic bands though, or at least bands that show you they're enjoying what they're doing. I'm looking forward to seeing them, and hopefully I'll catch them on a happy day.
The band have just had some particularly bad news, so it's not surprising they're not acting like Slade at the moment.

whit
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 06:48
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by whit » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:47

^ what's the bad news? Just curious.
Happy or sad, I'm just glad that their music exists. :)
don't judge a book by its movie

a layer of chips
Posts: 18616
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 09:17
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by a layer of chips » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:49

Ah, it's not really anyone else's business, to be honest. It's personal.

sarahluv
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 18:28
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: London

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by sarahluv » Wed Jul 01, 2009 13:15

yup and if you read the blog on their website, that'll tell you enough really.

User avatar
tall shaun
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 14:41
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: metropolis of salopia.
Contact:

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by tall shaun » Mon Jul 06, 2009 15:14

dont you think they seem to be doing an awful lot of touring as well? i know they have a new record deal and need to honour that by getting to as many record buyers as possible, but bloody hell. they've just announced another 60-odd dates in something like a dozen different countries. they're not metallica.
More The Sundays than The Saturdays.

http://brilldream.blogspot.com/

indiansummer
Posts: 6658
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 09:52
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue
Location: from Liverpool / in Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by indiansummer » Mon Jul 06, 2009 15:47

tall shaun wrote:dont you think they seem to be doing an awful lot of touring as well? i know they have a new record deal and need to honour that by getting to as many record buyers as possible, but bloody hell. they've just announced another 60-odd dates in something like a dozen different countries. they're not metallica.
THOSE BASTARDS! That's unbelievable. IMAGINE IT - playing gigs all over the place? To people who want to see them? CUNTS. They should just do one annual show, probably in That London, and nothing else.

DISCLAIMER: I'm just making mischief, of course, but i don't really get what point you're making - band gets bigger, more people like band, band play in more places. That's not that weird really, is it? Just that it looks a bit like you're complaining, is all. I can be a bit dim with this stuff sometimes though. Please accept my apologies if i've got the wrong end of the stick.

In fairness, if they WERE Metallica, they'd probably just play 5 dates in huge cities and then do bugger all for half a decade.
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

User avatar
tall shaun
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 14:41
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: metropolis of salopia.
Contact:

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by tall shaun » Mon Jul 06, 2009 16:04

indiansummer wrote:
tall shaun wrote:dont you think they seem to be doing an awful lot of touring as well? i know they have a new record deal and need to honour that by getting to as many record buyers as possible, but bloody hell. they've just announced another 60-odd dates in something like a dozen different countries. they're not metallica.
THOSE BASTARDS! That's unbelievable. IMAGINE IT - playing gigs all over the place? To people who want to see them? CUNTS. They should just do one annual show, probably in That London, and nothing else.

DISCLAIMER: I'm just making mischief, of course, but i don't really get what point you're making - band gets bigger, more people like band, band play in more places. That's not that weird really, is it? Just that it looks a bit like you're complaining, is all. I can be a bit dim with this stuff sometimes though. Please accept my apologies if i've got the wrong end of the stick.

In fairness, if they WERE Metallica, they'd probably just play 5 dates in huge cities and then do bugger all for half a decade.
i see your point. its a good life and all, bit it must be a bit exhausting when you dont stop touring. it does kill some bands off doesnt it? im just making the point that maybe the reason they've been 'going through the motions'(not my quote)is they need a bit of a break off a tour bus and a nice cup of tea. im sure THEY are not complaining mind. they do have better t-shirts than metallica(and, i like to think, nicer smelling fans)
More The Sundays than The Saturdays.

http://brilldream.blogspot.com/

indiansummer
Posts: 6658
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 09:52
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue
Location: from Liverpool / in Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by indiansummer » Mon Jul 06, 2009 16:23

I've actually managed to go this far without hearing Camera Obscura - folk tell me i'd probably like them though. My limited experience of touring is that it's quite tiring, but still a helluva lotta fun. Perhaps you're right though - about two months on the road might wear you down a little towards the end!

(i quite like a lot of old Metallica stuff)
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

User avatar
squirrelboutique
Posts: 3590
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 18:05

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by squirrelboutique » Mon Jul 06, 2009 18:31

I don't understand. Is all this because people think a band doesn't smile enough onstage? I hate, hate, hate, hate when people tell me I look miserable because I don't walk around with a big stupid grin on my face all the day. I'm very happy, actually. People have lots of reasons for not smiling, and it not all those reasons mean they're just "going through the motions" or are miserable.

User avatar
Gordon
Posts: 5351
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 22:33
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon
Location: King's Landing
Contact:

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by Gordon » Mon Jul 06, 2009 23:29

squirrelboutique wrote:I don't understand. Is all this because people think a band doesn't smile enough onstage? I hate, hate, hate, hate when people tell me I look miserable because I don't walk around with a big stupid grin on my face all the day. I'm very happy, actually. People have lots of reasons for not smiling, and it not all those reasons mean they're just "going through the motions" or are miserable.
You need to watch "Before Sunrise", I made nancy a special Julie Delpy background that has a speech bubble with her saying "I hate it when people tell me to smile."

Anyway, in my learned opinion, 60 dates is a lot of dates.
Toot toot.

User avatar
squirrelboutique
Posts: 3590
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 18:05

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by squirrelboutique » Mon Jul 06, 2009 23:33

I've only seen Before Sunset! I keep meaning to add that other one to my Netflix.

islandhopper
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 00:44
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein
Location: I belong to Glasgow

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by islandhopper » Mon Jul 06, 2009 23:36

squirrelboutique wrote:I've only seen Before Sunset! I keep meaning to add that other one to my Netflix.
It's surprisingly just about as good as the first one and not in fact a complete abomination.

And if nearly every existing photo of me from last year's indietracks prove a point - then it's that it's perfectly possible to look entirely miserable and yet be having the time of your life.

User avatar
Gordon
Posts: 5351
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 22:33
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon
Location: King's Landing
Contact:

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by Gordon » Tue Jul 07, 2009 17:03

Ah, the first one, I thought was a bunch better, but yeah, both good. The local cinema had a double-bill matinee... Ummm... rent it.
Toot toot.

User avatar
Martijn
Posts: 1260
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 20:27
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/thinksmall
Location: Exeter
Contact:

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by Martijn » Thu Jul 09, 2009 09:09

They're playing Exeter in October. And indiepop band! In Exeter!

(More tourdates on theirspace; I don't think anyone had posted them yet.)

User avatar
timahall
Posts: 1154
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 18:43
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/timahall
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Camera Obscura

Post by timahall » Thu Jul 09, 2009 14:05

Ahhh! They're both amazing but ...Sunrise has to win for me. Maybe because i've been watching it on a regular basis for over a decade. I rarely come across romantic films which are realistic and utterly free of cliches and that's why those movies are so special. All Rick Linklater's '90s movies are classics.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest