Odd Box

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

colinsmitten
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/colinclary

Re: Odd Box

Post by colinsmitten » Thu Jan 14, 2010 16:54

when I went to put the monorals ep into my computer, itunes identified it as a different artist with different track names? did this happen to anyone else?

yow!
being nice IS a political act!

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 14, 2010 17:40

Happen to me too, Colin! I even updated to the cd place in the sky but it still happens!
not really here

colinsmitten
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/colinclary

Post by colinsmitten » Thu Jan 14, 2010 18:38

no worries, trev! good to know, I wasn't the only one! I'll just input mine manually/monorally as well.

I was excited to get the package in the mail yesterday - and still digging on the millipedes and Knight School tunes!

yow!
being nice IS a political act!

Trev

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 15, 2010 13:08

The shows not been broadcast - but here I am with Tom - pimping the Millipedes boxset

not really here

soft revolution
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duncydunc

Post by soft revolution » Fri Jan 15, 2010 14:04

That's an ace picture, I'm really looking forward to hearing the show!
And by me, I mean, Flexo.

Trev

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 17, 2010 00:42

Just seen this fab review of The Humms:
Sometimes, you just need a good dose of healthy ass-kicking rock and roll, and The Humms are determined to provide it in spades. They sing about all the traditional topics: death, love and a whole lot of drugs, and do it all while sounding like the ultimate soundtrack to a Quentin Tarantino movie. The four-song EP Are You Dead? is an upbeat romp through simple but enjoyable songs.

The Humms offer a refreshing change of pace from the current wave of drone and half-hearted rock that seems to have overtaken Athens. Their live shows are extreme, high-energy gigs, vaguely reminiscent of the utterly exhausting Flat Duo Jets. The trio is prone to thrashing about onstage, something that manages to carry through to most of the EP.

There is no actual humming on the record. Instead, you find a mix of surf guitar and “to hell with technique” drumming. Each song sounds saturated with the '60s, especially the title track, which sounds like the beginning of a rave from the first howl. The vocals are heavy on the reverb side, making it very hard to resist calling the track trippy.

“LSD Is Evil” is the standout number, kicking off with wild drums and barreling through the song with half-sung lyrics. The trio manages to create a lot of sound, all of which they claim was recorded in a haunted 1950s trailer. It’s a visual image that fits the sound. The Humms are just a really great rock ‘n’ roll trio playing in a van. There’s no pretension, just rock.

Jordan Stepp - Flagpole Magazine
Only a handful of these beauties left, as well.
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 18, 2010 19:29

Odd Box on the Radio:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/b0089jhs/Monday/console/

Hope that link works - about 33 minutes in, if you really wanna hear my chatting on about nothing in particular.
not really here

Carys
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Carys » Mon Jan 18, 2010 19:44

Go Trev! High five!

"Not everyone listens to the radio...". Heh, you're so blacklisted.

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 18, 2010 20:24

I know, as I said it, my brain was saying 'No! don't say that'. But it still sounded alright, I reckon.
not really here

Carys

Post by Carys » Mon Jan 18, 2010 21:33

Trev wrote:I know, as I said it, my brain was saying 'No! don't say that'. But it still sounded alright, I reckon.
I was just kidding - it was a great interview, and I obviously enjoyed the Millipedes playage too.

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 18, 2010 23:48

Sounds XP review of The Wednesday Club - 'Katapult' LP
Katapult is the third album from The Wednesday Club, which I was slightly disappointed to find is not the “8-Piece Soul, Funk, Pop, Indie and Rhythm & Blues covers band” from Glossop but is the Leeds-based four-piece that includes Medusa Snare and ex-Manhattan Love Suicide Adam John Miller (bass, vocals) together with John Perry and Max Broady on guitars and vocals and Jack Rutter on drums.

After one play, it wasn’t just the record that was spinning; my mind whirled with the variety and invention of the songs, a product of the presence of three songwriters in the band. My first thought was that there was too much diversity but that notion was dispelled by repeated plays, which reveal more and more impressive tunes plus some clever amuse bouches that punctuate the song order. Clearly the band are possessed by the spirit of chaos and a sense of fun. ‘Citalogasm’, the final track, is a brilliant stream of Magic Roundabout-esque carnival pop, where a kid’s choir delivers an almost endless joyful refrain: “fuck the world/ fuck the whole wide world”. If only it was on vinyl with a locked groove!

It’s a treasure trove of great sounds. The infectious ‘Trust Thing’ is like an afrobeat June Brides while the fast and fuzzy pop of ‘European Veins’ reminds you of Adam’s past in the Manhattans. At times I hear the Bad Seeds, Wire and Yo La Tengo, and the whole record shows off a mess of sounds swiped from the coolest record collections. A collective love of US alt.rock like Guided By Voices and Pavement shines through on ‘As Above So Below’ which references some arcane magical expression and chills you with its lyrics (“the demons we’re trying to raise are real”) while soothing you with its twisty pop. There are touches of elegant dream-pop (‘Hit By Teeth II’) and folk-pop (‘Schrodinger's Catflap’) while the honeyed melancholy of ‘Stephen’s House’ is Pastels-flavoured melodic indiepop.

It leaves the reviewer in me a touch disappointed that there are no glib categorisations for the band, but the music fan in me is delighted to find a record that wears its influences so audibly and un-selfconsciously and that produces a pandemonium of exciting indiepop to burn away any winter blues.
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 25, 2010 17:56

Three new Pre-orders up on the site!

ODD009 - The Manhattan Love Suicides - Dandelion Radio Session CD (6 songs twice Stereo and Mono mixes) (expected March)
ODD010 - Proto Idiot - Is You Is You My EP (9 song mini LP on CD) (expected end of February)
ODD011 - The Blanche Hudson Weekend - The Rats In The Cellar EP 7" (expected March)
not really here

richpassivity

Post by richpassivity » Mon Jan 25, 2010 20:29

Finally got that KICK INSIDE 7" - great stuff!
One thing that we've known from the start
Deep down inside, we're punk rockers at heart

Trev

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 29, 2010 09:37

Glad you like it, Rich!

Two new songs are streaming on www.myspace.com/oddboxrecords

'When I Fall Asleep' by Proto Idiot and 'Sharks' by The Blanche Hudson Weekend.
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 01, 2010 21:20

Excited!

The Blanche Hudson Weekend singles should be arriving tomorrow. Sleeves set to follow in a couple of weeks!

The Proto Idiot CD will be ready to go this week too!
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Fri Mar 12, 2010 00:40

'new' (and unreleased) Manhattan Love Suicides song just gone up on the My Space for Odd Box: 'Time Enough At Last (Mono Version)'.

http://www.myspace.com/oddboxrecords
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 14, 2010 13:24

Just found out that The Monorals have made a little video for the lead song on their Odd Box EP:

And they might be coming over for a London show in July! Exciting times!
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 20, 2010 22:20

A fab review of the recent Proto Idiot EP over on Sounds XP:
Proto Idiot: Is You Is You My EP?
I heard that Oddbox had asked for 4 tracks, received 28 and couldn't reduce the number of essential tracks below 9, hence this "single" is now a mini-album - and there's not a wasted second. This scratchy lo-fi rock'n'roll sounds a bit like Ty Segall and the Strange Boys and would have been a blog smash if released on some cult US label. All 9 tracks have subtle differences and all are worth hearing. ‘Spit It Out’ is rowdy, ravaged garage punk, like some offcut from the gravel-tastic Pebbles Volume 1. The carnival surf-rock of ‘Gay Weekend’ might be the Beach Boys stuck on a waltzer ride, where they throw up a psychedelic swirl of clanging guitars and capsizing keyboards. ‘What’s Your Problem?’ has stomping Glitter Band drum patterns before a dirty Link Wray riff spuzzes all over the beat. And the EP ends with its catchiest song, the guitar-poppy ‘When I Fall Asleep’. In another life, Proto Idiot is Andrew from Thee Hipshakes but on this evidence, he has a fine solo career ahead of him too. Listen to this and get primitive!
Proper chuffed with that.
not really here

brogues
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/the_brogues

Post by brogues » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:17

Great find, Trev! Been listening to the Proto Idiot songs on myspace after reading that and they're properly ace! Expect an order from me for their cd when I get paid :)

Trev

Post by Trev » Sat Apr 03, 2010 15:59

The Millipedes in session on BBC Radio Sheffield - 4 songs (including a new one!) and an interview

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... 1_04_2010/

They start about half an hour in.

Enjoy!

There are still a few boxsets left at the Odd Box website!
not really here