Odd Box

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Re: Odd Box

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 28, 2009 18:49

New EP available to pre-order:
The Give It Ups are two girls and three boys from South London, who play short, fuzzy pop songs.

The Give It Ups are the magic that happens when pop dreams come true. Having already released one EP on the indiepop label Cloudberry Records I am delighted to announce that ‘Sing’ is due to be released on July 18th. This is a 4 song EP. That has some of catchiest lo-fi pop I’ve had the pleasure of hearing this year and the EP has 4 songs that have hooks so large you can hang duffle coats on them. Yes, they’re that good.

01 Whatever Happens Happens
02 Four Day Week
03 Hey Shaggy
04 Make & Do

Head over to the Odd Box My Space page to stream ‘Whatever Happens Happens’ and you can hear more songs from the band on their own My Space page – here. The EP is available for pre-order now.
You can pre-order from the shop - here.
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 30, 2009 23:29

The first free download release on ODDNET is now available to, er, download. It's a superb peice of off kilter pop music from Golau Glau - an anglo-welsh band that are something of a mystery. They only formed in June of this year. I was so beguiled by their first recordings that I asked them if they wanted to be the first free download release on ODDNET. I was chuffed to bits when they said yes.

The band have their own My Space page - where you can check out even more of their songs. The free download is available from the Odd Net Labeland it comes in a handy ZIP file. The download also comes with artwork. Their are two songs on the download:

01 Soft Silver Young
02 Heartland Half Seizure
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:10

Golau Glau was played on the Bethan Elfyn show on Radio 1 last night!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/bethanelfyn ... l?20090709

Not listened back to the show yet! But I believe she gave Odd Box a mention as well.

Cracking Humms review here - too - "A fantastic release, and if any song is going to top 'Are You Dead?' for Song Of The Year, it's going to have to be pretty special."
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:10

The Give It Up CDs have finally arrived and I they look great!

They're available to order from The Odd Box Shop
not really here

Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Post by Gordon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:33

I don't suppose there's a digital download? Want instant gratification, and lack of plastic.
Toot toot.

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:35

Gordon wrote:I don't suppose there's a digital download? Want instant gratification, and lack of plastic.
er, er, er, not yet. Doing digital downloads of the vinyl releases but not the CD ones at present.

But - thinking on my feet - If you order the CD I can send you a link to download the songs - and the CD will follow in the glorious postal system.
not really here

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:48

Ok, I was thinking of picking one up when they play Glasgow. Does that make any difference to your finances?
Toot toot.

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:49

Trev wrote:
Gordon wrote:I don't suppose there's a digital download? Want instant gratification, and lack of plastic.
er, er, er, not yet. Doing digital downloads of the vinyl releases but not the CD ones at present.

But - thinking on my feet - If you order the CD I can send you a link to download the songs - and the CD will follow in the glorious postal system.
On a tangent, do you go with iTunes or something more indie? Does it make a difference with how much royalties you get vs costs?
Toot toot.

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:02

Gordon wrote: On a tangent, do you go with iTunes or something more indie? Does it make a difference with how much royalties you get vs costs?
I do it all vie tunecore. They submit to emusic, itunes, napster and a few others on my behalf. It costs a little and I've seen no money from it, as yet. Tom used to handle this side of Lostmusic, so I am learning the ropes with these releases.
not really here

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25

Oooh, done a bit of reading. That stuff is interesting.
Toot toot.

Trev

Post by Trev » Wed Sep 02, 2009 20:28

some news:

the much delayed 'Spaced Out EP' by Lovelust - should be ready to ship in about 3 weeks.

Odd Box will have a new shop up and online shortly. It's well fab and should make ordering a whole lot easier.

The first 'LP' to be released on Odd Box is in the pipeline. It's no ordinary LP either. It's by Sheffield's finest The Millipedes (garage rock with tunes!) and it comes in the format of 3 beautiful 7" EPs all in a nice box, with an added CD of the LP with a bonus track! There will be other goodies in the box, too. Advance copies are going to be £12 (plus P&P) - we're doing 50 at this special early bird price. These will be for sale when the new shop opens (hopefully in a few days).

Also in the works: EPs by Vanilla Ride, Proto Idiot, The Monorals, Dreamdate and The Ice Creams.

Phew!

If that wasn't enough we should have some free to download releases coming in the next couple of months - pencilled in thus far are Falling and Laughing and The Melting Ice Caps.

We also got a tiny mention in this month's 'Dazed and Confused' when they were tipping our first free download band Golau Glau for big things.

And finally:

The first Odd Box show is now announced:

Monday 12th October @ The Wilmington in London. Woog Riots, Ste McCabe and Horowitz are going to be the attractions. It's £4 in advance and tickets are on sale from We Got Tickets now - http://www.wegottickets.com/event/57855

After this show we've been invited along by the good folks at RoTa (in Notting Hill) to put on one of their fabulous FREE afternoon shows (this is happening on Saturday 24th October) - confirmed to play are Kid Canaveral, Makeokay and The Medusa Snare (featuring two former Manhattan Love Suicides). There is one more band to be added to the line up - but at the moment that's up in the air.

I think, that's all. Yeah, it is.
not really here

everard

Post by everard » Thu Sep 03, 2009 00:04

some cool stuff coming up! i particularly like dreamdate & proto idiot (tho perhaps not as much as the hipshakes)

Trev

Post by Trev » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:58

The new shop is now live and online. Link. You can order multiple items, stream a snippet from each release and also receive an ‘instant’ download of any 7″ single you order from the site within minutes of paying via Paypal. I think it’s ace. And it will hopefully make shopping for Odd Box releases easier and more satisfying.

Along with the shop – the much delayed Lovelust EP has gone on pre-sale today. The ‘Spaced Out EP’ is a five song shoegaze meets drone rock classic – recalling Spacemen 3 at their best. This is a cracking little EP. It will be shipping on October 5th.

Also up for presale are 50 copies of The Millipedes – ‘Shake Your Bones’ 7″ Box set LP. In foolhardy defiance of the increasing non-physical nature of musical product The Millipedes debut album Shake Your Bones is being released as a series of 3 7” EPs that when collected form a box set with amazing original artwork by Sheffield comic artist Oliver Allchin. The tracks that make up Shake Your Bones were partially produced by legendary Sheffield producer Alan Smyth (Pulp, The Arctic Monkeys, Reverend and the Makers) at his 2Fly studios in Sheffield. The box also comes with a CD of the LP with an exclusive bonus track. There will only be 300 of these numbered boxes available.

This is up for presale at a price of £12 plus postage and packaging. Once it goes on general sale it will be priced at £14 plus postage packaging. We are expecting these back from the pressing plant at the end of September. It’s officially released on November 7th. But we will be shipping these beauties out for any of you that order on presale before they hit the shops.
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Sun Oct 04, 2009 20:25

Following on from the success of our first free download release by Golau Glau in the summer - plays on Radio 1, Radio 6, XFM and a mention in Dazed and Confused, no less - we have two autumn crackers for you this time around:

First up are Factory Kids (NET002) with 'Not Enough' B/w 'Analog Dream' - beautiful pop music that defies easy classifaction. There are nods to Flying Saucer Attack, Massive Attack and The Third Eye Foundation – but this band really needs to be heard. This is pop music for the 21st Century.

And if that wasn't enough, we have even more enchanting pop music for you in the shape of The Melting Ice Caps - aka laptop-chamber-pop chanteur David Shah. 'Between Eros and Agape B/w 'Nobody's Leaving' (NET003) is pop music to melt your heart and anyone with a fondness for chamber pop will not be disappointed by this wonderful release.

Both are available to download now for FREE - from http://oddboxrecords.com/shop/

Happy listening.
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Fri Oct 16, 2009 13:07

The Millipedes were played on Raw Talent, BBC Radio Sheffiled last night. You can listen again for another 6 days - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p004nrcv - it's 2 hours and 10 minutes or thereabouts into the broadcast.
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Sun Oct 18, 2009 23:42

News update for anyone who might be interested:

First up – anyone who has pre-ordered the Lovelust EP. This one is slightly delayed. I am expecting them back in about 5-10 days – UK postal strike permitting. We are on target to have The Millipedes boxsets back in time for the launch show on 7th November. Talking of shows Odd Box has the following live shows happening in London:

Saturday – 24th October – Free Afternoon show @ RoTa in Notting Hill Arts Club (4pm-8pm):

The last chance to experience 5×5, where for five Saturdays, Rough Trade Shops’ RoTa welcomes you to five free afternoon showcases by five marvellous independent record labels, each flying proudly in the face of big-suit, big-money corporate goat-herding and carving out a unique and personal path for themselves in these trying times.

A marvellous outing for OddBox Records, champions of all things indiepop and C86, with more twinkling, chiming and fuzzing guitars than your heart can handle, and more than enough shimmering loveliness to chase away the October blues. With quirky pop by The Kick Inside and The Medusa Snare, melodramatic songs from Whales In Cubicles and juicy pop kids Kid Canaveral.
Millipedes_web

And then we have not one, but two, launch shows for The Millipedes ‘Shake Your Bones’ triple 7″ boxset LP. They are both taking place at the intimate and fab Ryan’s Bar in Stoke Newington. The first night leans to a punkier/garage-y sound with two excellent bands playing along side the Millipedes. Opening are an all female band called The Nuns, who play the songs of the Monks! And up the top of the bill we have Lot Lizards who have been described by Razorcake as ‘Uber lo-fi from Britatin that’s more stripped down than the Gories and noisier. No bass, just hollerin’ and beatin’. And sandwiched between them are The Millipedes – a band that plat music that sounds like the raw punk of The Sonics mixed with the sleazy rhythm & blues of Andre Williams, The Millipedes can do super-stupid horror themed punk trash and seedily beautiful blues, sometimes at the same time.

7th November – The Millipedes LP launch part 1 – featuring Lot Lizards – The Millipedes – The Nuns.

21st November – The Millipedes LP launch part 2 – featuring Town Bike – The Millipedes – tELLEY
Both these shows are taking place at: Ryan’s Bar, 181 Stoke Newington Church Street, N16.

The second show takes on a more indiepop slant with two more fantastic bands for The Millipedes to nestle up against. From Liverpool we have Town Bike who distill perfect pop music that is bubblegum hot and twice as tasty. If Helen Love had dated and mated Joey Ramone – Town Bike could well have been their offspring. They’re pop to the core and an awful lot of fun too. Make sure you are strapped in for the ride of your life! And opening on this night are tELLEY – featuring Jim from indiepop legends Spearmint in his new band – joined by a few Gresham Flyers – this band excel at Scratchy guitars, ferocious drums, cut and paste keyboard noises all pinned together with simple melodies. Like your favourite band before they were famous.

These shows and the pending release has Odd Box HQ beavering away to get everything ready in time. But in time honoured tradition we have found time to squeeze in one more exciting release for November. This time it’s The Monorals from Japan and their 4 track ‘Surf 4 Fuzz EP’ which is due to be released on 16th November. They make a beautiful noise – that marries up garage/punk and indiepop with a startling outcome.It’s up for pre-order now. Talking of pre-orders – we still have a few of the cheaper limited Millipedes LPs up for sale in the shop. Snap them up at the bargain price of £12 – that’s for 3 cracking 7″ – a CD of the LP with an extra track and two badges – see the picture for how good these beauties are going to look.

With all this exciting news there is one piece of sad news to report, Vanilla Ride have had to cancel their planned release with Odd Box as they are taking some time away from the band. Although they promise to return in the future. I really hope they do as I was really excited by them and their lo-fi indiepunk sound.
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Wed Oct 28, 2009 22:31

Here is the latest Odd Box Records newsletter:

These are exciting times at Odd Box and with our first LP fast approaching we'd like to share with you some FREE music. That's music, that doesn't cost a penny!

The three free releases we have are:

NET001 by Golau Glau came out in July and since then Golau Glau have been gaining something of a reputation for their pop shenanigans.

"Its weird, yet affecting and helps make a rather fine single." - Russel's Reviews

NET002 by Factory Kids came out at the start of the month and their subtle blend of fuzz noise and stuttering drums has been flying off the virtual shelf.

And NET003 - by The Melting Ice Caps is a beautifully bitter sweet slice of baroque pop - so say LosingToday.com. And who are we to argue.

These releases are available right now and did we mention that they are FREE! Just head over to http://oddboxrecords.com/shop/ and you are but a few clicks away from pop heaven.

In other news we've had the first review of the triple 7" boxset LP 'Shake Your Bones' from Kitten Painting. In full:

"Shake Your Bones’ sets its cards on the table from the off, opening with the galumphing, dumb-cluck garage of ‘Make Something Happen’. If you want sophisticated or experimental, you’re outta luck chum. If you want rip-snortingly gleeful frugadelic beat tunes, then step right up.

The Millipedes play monster raving groovy mondo mongo trashcan rock ‘n’ roll complete with Girls In The Garage vocals courtesy of the splendidly-named Dolly Grip (who Sheffield pop lovers may know better as Reenie). Their album is excellent beat-fuelled fun.

‘Married To The Wolfman’ is riddled with “Awhooo’ howls and creepy crawly organ. ‘Shake Your Bones’ will get you doing just that – handclappin’, twistin’ and shoutin’, quiff a quiver. ‘Hey Boy’ sounds like The Temptations’ ‘Get Ready’ got speeded up and fuck-witted. ‘Ooh-Wee’ thunders along on a rumbling organ riff, sounding dense in both senses of the word. Then just to prove it’s not all fast, furious and boggle-eyed there’s ‘Never Wanted To Go’. A sweetly sultry swingin’ sway-along slow one.

Oddbox Records, living up to the name, are releasing this album as a series of seven inch E.P.s. Collect all three as a box set that comes with artwork by Oliver Allchin. A CD of all the seven inch songs comes with an additional track, a crazed bumblebee fuzz cover of The Eyes’ ‘You’re Too Much’. How could you resist? Get wrigglin’ to The Millipedes"

Phew!

The boxset is available to pre-order at the bargain price of £12 - for which you will receive not one, not two but three beautiful 7" singles housed in a box with a couple of badges and a CD of the whole LP - featuring a bonus song! Head to http://oddboxrecords.com/shop/ to order. We've only a few left at the special pre-order price of £12 - so be quick to snap one of these beautiful boxsets up.

The single is officially released on 7th November. And to celebrate we are puttig on two launch shows in London.

Saturday 7th November - we have Lot Lizards, The Millipedes and The Nuns whipping up a swirl of 60s beats and surf guitars @ Ryan's Bar in Stoke Newington. It's a fiver to get in. Advance tickets can be found here - http://www.wegottickets.com/event/61902 - and they are starting to shift now - so don't be shy and get one before they're all gone!

And two weeks later on Saturday 21st November - we are back at Ryan's bar for a night of punky indiepop - with Town Bike, The Millipedes and tELLEY shaking their stuff for our pleasure. These tickets are again available in advance for just £5 - http://www.wegottickets.com/event/61903!

We hope you like the free MP3's and have time to check out The Millipedes before they get to London town in a few weeks.

Happy listening,

Trev @ Odd Box HQ.
www.oddboxrecords.com
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Nov 12, 2009 16:11

Sounds XP have reviewed The Millipedes LP:
Box sets are probably a bad financial deal in the last days of the music biz but a box is the perfect home for a collection of impressive 7” singles by the Millipedes. The pseudonymous band (guitarist “Rocking Oliver D’World” has a name of cryptic genius) is a veritable Steel City supergroup, comprising former members of the Long Blondes, Smokers Die Younger, Thee Motherfuckers and Velodrome 2000.

Their horror-infected garage rock and sleazy r’n’b – served in 10 bites across the three records (the CD version adds a bonus song) – bring to mind the fuzztoned, organ-driven mayhem of ? And The Mysterians and the saucy soul of Andre Williams. There’s something beautifully raw and savage about the wailing organ and reverby guitars (Link Wray risen from his grave) but the Millipedes keep one (severed) foot in the pop camp with ‘Hey Boy’ echoing Comet Gain’s racing indiepop. The distinctively odd ‘Do Do Do Dare Dare Dare’ meanwhile might best be described as Satanic-ska.

The Millipedes have fun with the b-movie ideas of alien invasion and lycanthropy matrimony but never ham it up like, say, Zombina and the Skeletones, who were pure pork. Single one is led by the insane cowboy-garage hoedown of ‘Make Something Happen’. The awesome second single ‘Ooh-Wee’ is relentless rock’n’roll guaranteed to get Teds, heads and indie-wet-the-beds on the dancefloor while the third offering ‘Humans of Earth (We Salute You)’ is lunatic bubblegum pop. They cleverly balance the sassy come-on of ‘Shake Your Bones’ with the Irma Thomas-style ballad ‘Never Wanted to Go’ and show off their love of great rock’n’roll with obvious nods to ‘Shakin All Over’, ‘Helter Skelter’ and Wipeout’. I can’t tell the A-sides from the B-sides, which makes the whole thing essential. I make no bones about it.
not really here

Outcognito
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Outcognito » Fri Nov 13, 2009 17:01

Wow! The Millipedes box-set is a stonker of a package. I've been gazing at the contents for ten minutes now - it's time to play the records!
It's so easy when the door is wide open.

Trev

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 13, 2009 17:13

Outcognito wrote:Wow! The Millipedes box-set is a stonker of a package. I've been gazing at the contents for ten minutes now - it's time to play the records!
Did it get through the postal system unscathed..... I was really worried they'd get damaged!
not really here