The Fence Collective

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

sarahluv
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: The Fence Collective

Post by sarahluv » Mon Sep 01, 2008 13:44

i need to save my leave. also, i need to actually go to work for once. i'm scheduled to be at work for 12 days in october as it is.

Mr Bear
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/cold_discovery

Post by Mr Bear » Mon Sep 01, 2008 13:45

Have you thought about flying, Sarah? Might work out easier.

I think I'm going to stay til Monday - I asked the places I e-mailed to give me a quote Friday til Sunday and til Monday so we'll see.

sarahluv

Post by sarahluv » Mon Sep 01, 2008 13:47

i don't do flying ;)

a one hour flight takes about 5 hours door to door once you factor in the faffing. the east coast have free wi fi now too.

Mr Bear

Post by Mr Bear » Tue Sep 02, 2008 09:13

I just picked my Yorkston box set up from the post office - it's gorgeous! No golden ticket though. Sad. Face.

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:06

Looks like Mr P.Bear has sorted our accommodation for the Halloween weekend. It's still a long ways away tho. Oh well, Fence club in a couple of weeks!

Good work Andy! You're a star. If only you'd got that golden ticket as reward for all your stellar efforts dealing with a million emails (and Ronald McDonald!).
They don't call me Hawkeye Gilhooley... at all

sarahluv

Post by sarahluv » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:12

and now i know who mr p bear is!

roobee

Post by roobee » Tue Sep 02, 2008 14:10

Jeez, that harpsichord is making my heart break in a really good way. I can't stop listening to 'B's Jig' and 'Temptation' especially.

Is it a full Yorkston band at Fence club? I'm quite excited to hear this new album in the flesh.

I'm also ignoring all your chat about the Halloween do as I can't go. Pfft.

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Tue Sep 02, 2008 14:27

Full band. It sounded great at Green Man, esp. the title track and Tortoise Regrets Hare.

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Tue Sep 02, 2008 23:26

Andy PandaBear's review of the Pictish Trail album -

http://plentyside.blogspot.com/2008/09/ ... trail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

13strongmonsters

Post by 13strongmonsters » Wed Sep 10, 2008 00:15

Just got back from seeing The Pictish Trail and Rozi Plains play above a pub in Brighton. Lovely gig - good, cheerful atmosphere, lots of banter and respectful whooping and clapping. Nice venue too, run by nice people it seems (any friend of Fence Records, etc).

The Pictish Trail was his usual great self - would love to get the new album, but don't know whether I'll be able to swing it financially. We will see.

Watching TPT, my recurring thought was that he should be asked to do the soundtrack for the upcoming David Fincher film adaptation of Charles Burns' Black Hole. His music would just perfectly fit the atmosphere of that story, as well as stir up all the memories of Burns' artwork somehow. Maybe a collaboration with Bonnie 'Prince' Billy to give it the required dose of suburban American ennui.

A great surprise was newish Fence affiliate Rozi Plains, who sings some fucking beautiful songs that on first listening reminded me of Scout Niblett, but further into the gig just sounded like their own thing. PLUS, DOUBLEPLUS, she had made her own guitar! This weren't no shoddy job either - proper walnut wood, smoky blue electric guitar, but HAND MADE. Whattagal. I wish she was my friend, but all I said to her was "Hey, you were great. Really liked it", which is pretty lame in the friend-making stakes. Should have mentioned the Scout Niblett thing maybe.

Best song on first listen was one about being eaten alive by a wild animal. Maybe she should do the Charles Burns thing too!

Anyway, gonna fork out for her album I think, which is on Fence and is called Inside Over Here.

Mr Bear

Post by Mr Bear » Wed Sep 10, 2008 00:36

Nice one, sounds like it was a good night all round. The Rozi Plain album is sounding absolutely excellent, by the way. You should definitely get it...and the Pictish one.

13strongmonsters

Post by 13strongmonsters » Wed Sep 10, 2008 00:43

It's annoying. They had the Rozi Plain album at the gig, but I didn't get it because I didn't have any money on me and I thought I would get it online. Turns out it's not out til October, so I've pre-ordered it, and I'll just have to bloody wait til then, g'dammit.

She looks alarmingly like my friend's ex-girlfriend.

Still, should be good.

I wish I'd hung around to explain my BLACK HOLE idea to The Pictish Trail - I want him to get in touch with Will Oldham and David Fincher and make it happen. I demand it. If he hasn't heard of BLACK HOLE, I'd send him a copy.

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Wed Sep 10, 2008 09:11

The Rozi Plain LP is fantastic, I can furnish you with MP3s of both it and the Pictish Trail LP in the meantime in a try before you buy stylee if you wish sir. I think you're a sir anyway, that's from memory of your posts on Plan B!

13strongmonsters

Post by 13strongmonsters » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:37

I am indeed a man. Got chest hair and everything.

Thanks for the offer of mp3s, but I don't mind waiting for the album - less than a month away isn't too long to wait. I don't have much opportunity to listen to music at the moment anyway, as my iPod is kaput, and I'm waiting for my new Sony mp3 player to pop through my door. I will wait til then, then rock the Rozi all day long.

Cheers though.

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:13

Nae bother.

In other news, I have my Yorkston interview next Wednesday. Anybody want to sit in? Lyns? Nicola Trickster? If someone could and take a couple of photographs during the interview then that would be most helpful.

Bobby Who?

Post by Bobby Who? » Wed Sep 10, 2008 18:52

Jeez...i was at that Brighton gig and it was utterly crap!

The first guy was atrocious...and seemed to imagine he was leonard cohen...his lyrics were painful, his singing was flat and he seemed to have only one tempo.

The girl was a little more interesting, but that's all I can say about her.

I thought Pictish Trail would save the night...but wooooh nooo...he had nothing to say, and a particularly bland way of saying it...

I walked out....I had to for my own sanity...it was terrible, I go to a lot of bad open mic's, but this was like a bad open mic' nightmare....even Eleanor's 60 year old mum got up and walked out.
Teaching the obvious to the idiots.

Mr Bear

Post by Mr Bear » Wed Sep 10, 2008 18:59

Oh well, each to their own I guess.

lynsosaurus

Post by lynsosaurus » Wed Sep 10, 2008 20:06

Paquito wrote:Nae bother.

In other news, I have my Yorkston interview next Wednesday. Anybody want to sit in? Lyns? Nicola Trickster? If someone could and take a couple of photographs during the interview then that would be most helpful.
i would've loved to, but i'm not around on wednesday. boo!

13strongmonsters

Post by 13strongmonsters » Wed Sep 10, 2008 22:02

Bobby Who?, obviously everyone has their own tastes, but I really enjoyed Rozi Plain's set, and I thought The Pictish Trail's better songs were great, and that all of it was interesting to listen to. I like his singing voice, I like his lyrics... don't know what to say really. It seemed like most people there enjoyed it.

I wasn't a big fan of the first guy - he was a little too pleased with himself, and his voice was pretty awful, and not in a good way.

I don't understand why Eleanor's 60 year old mum walking out is particularly noteworthy?

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Mon Sep 15, 2008 13:47

So aye, as mentioned above, I'm interviewing James Yorkston on Wednesday.

Anybody got a question they'd like to contribute?