Starting an indiepop club night - advice please!

DIY clubs, gigs, fun
kingofpartick
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Starting an indiepop club night - advice please!

Post by kingofpartick » Sun Aug 24, 2008 21:13

its not ideal, but if you burn your cd's at high quality it shouldn't sound out of place in the duck, not on that PA anyway, its not too big a room, so its not going to be blasting.
I remember when all this was fields

RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Post by RITH » Sun Aug 24, 2008 22:03

What the king said. But if you mention here which songs you're talking about, maybe someone can help you get a better bitrate version of it.

Tomb
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tomb242

Post by Tomb » Sun Aug 24, 2008 22:19

Colin wrote:I'm starting to put together a playlist for our first night (eeee!), and I've realised that some songs I really want to play are only available on myspace in a non-downloadable capacity.
See here for a better alternative than recording what you hear.

If they are at the standard 96 k/bits that My Space generally uses then I would say they won't sound too good even if converted to wav and burnt to CD at high quality as suggested. Too many bits have been thrown away. Hopefully though the club will be packed and no one will notice!

Colin
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/colinbmx

Post by Colin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 22:25

RITH wrote:What the king said. But if you mention here which songs you're talking about, maybe someone can help you get a better bitrate version of it.
I did consider that, but I don't want to be a pest. I've also got some where I've got the vinyl and ripped it to mp3, but the quality's not all that good. We're going to be working from CD players only, so playing the vinyl won't be an option. These are the ones I'm looking for (the asterisked ones are what I've only got on vinyl):

The Electric Pop Group - Not By Another
Little My - Sellotape My Hands
Megamoog - Goodbye
Pete Green - The Ballad of Phil Jevons*
Wake The President - Mail Alice*
The Deirdres - Ball In A Cup
Morrissey - No-one Can Hold A Candle To You

Sootyzilla
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sootyzilla

Post by Sootyzilla » Sun Aug 24, 2008 22:54

personally, i think this is a non-issue. records sound so different in clubs that nobody is ever going to notice any compression artefacts in the sound. most people will not even be paying attention to what you're playing, that's the sad truth of running a club night.

also, see it in perspective. a lot of indie records are not especially well recorded in the first place (people started saying lo-fi for a reason), and the further back you go the truer that is. those myspace tracks are probably more hi fidelity than lots of Sarah-era singles.
As wrong as it was to do,
Those eyes were made to look into.

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Sun Aug 24, 2008 23:00

Colin wrote: The Deirdres - Ball In A Cup
This is coming out on CD next week is it not?

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Sun Aug 24, 2008 23:00

It came out on cd with the first issue of my fanzine. Colin - if you want an mp3 I'll send you one.

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Sun Aug 24, 2008 23:03

Colin wrote:Pete Green - The Ballad of Phil Jevons*
I only had an mp3 version of that when we sent it to get mastered - I'd lost the original wav - so it'd probably sound just as rubbish from the record as it would from an mp3!

Like Robbie says, unless the club has got a bloody amazing sound system you won't notice a lot of difference. It might be worth listening through to the stuff you wanna play just to see whether any particular tracks are more than usually lacking in top end or bass, and then just eq it accordingly on the mixing desk live as you play it. But other than that I don't think it's worth worrying too much really.
Last edited by humblebee on Sun Aug 24, 2008 23:05, edited 1 time in total.

Colin

Post by Colin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 23:04

Sam - thanks, but if it's on the EP that's coming out I'll get it through that.

Colin

Post by Colin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:30

Tomb wrote:See here for a better alternative than recording what you hear.
Thanks, but that seems to be for PCs only. I'll have a look around later to see if there's a mac equivalent.

katydidnot

any advice for popnight starting?

Post by katydidnot » Sat Sep 06, 2008 03:25

Right, so some friends and i are thinking of popnight-starting in the reasonable future and figured asking for expert advice would probably be a good place to start. So, anyone have any? (ridiculous advice also accepted.) None of us have ever done anything of this sort before so we're pretty excited but could also make stupid mistakes. (it's a chance we're willing to take, and also probably part of the fun)

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Re: any advice for popnight starting?

Post by Trev » Sat Sep 06, 2008 07:49

Find the right venue (small, cosy) and do it regular enough so people know you exist.
not really here

jayen_aitch
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jayen_aitch/

Post by jayen_aitch » Sat Sep 06, 2008 09:14

There's already a thead for this, with other bits of advice in for you, it's just here. I hope that helps.

Good luck with the night, where will it be?

katydidnot

Post by katydidnot » Sat Sep 06, 2008 17:51

jayen_aitch wrote:There's already a thead for this, with other bits of advice in for you, it's just here. I hope that helps.

Oh, thanks! I guess I should have searched first, oops!

Looks like it's going to be out of someone's house and maybe once a month.

Colin

Post by Colin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 00:06

katydidnot wrote:
jayen_aitch wrote:There's already a thead for this, with other bits of advice in for you, it's just here. I hope that helps.

Oh, thanks! I guess I should have searched first, oops!

Looks like it's going to be out of someone's house and maybe once a month.
I'm in the process of starting a club night along with lynsosaurus, so I'll try to pass on a bit of what we've learned in the last couple of months although I'm still very much a beginner to this.
You've probably thought about this already, but you'll have to decide what kind of night you want it to be. What music will you play? Will there be bands, or just records? Are you going to DJ on your own all night, or will you have help? When's the night going to start and end? Will you charge for entry? In my opinion, it's important to set your night apart from whatever else is happening in your town. There may be some overlap with other clubs in the area, but you have to offer something nowhere else is. If your night is the only place people can go to hear a particular kind of music, it'll seem that much more special. Also, it's my view that it's important to be upfront about what kind of music you're going to play. It may be tempting to keep the description deliberately open to interpretation to get the maximum number of people interested, but I think it's best that people know what they're going to get.
I think the venue is critically important, more from the organiser's point of view than the people who are going to come. We've been really lucky in that we've got a venue that's fully set up with everything we need, so essentially all that's left for us to do is promote the night, then turn up and play records. There's a bit more to it than that, but that's more or less how it is. We're also fortunate in that they're not looking for a financial commitment from us, so we don't stand to lose money if it doesn't work out. That won't be the case for every venue though.
You say it'll be at someone's house. Is that due to an age thing (I have it in my head that you're quite young - are you the girl who does the Bottle Rocket fanzine or have I got that wrong?). I'd say you need to think the implications of that through pretty thoroughly. Are you going to invite members of the public? If so, do you want to take the risk of publicising your address in the knowledge that absolutely anyone could turn up? Also, are neighbours/excess noise going to be a consideration?
Also, you'll need something to play your records on. I know that's stating the obvious, but do you have some kind of DJ setup to work from?
If you're set with a venue and definitely want to go ahead with it, you need to think about promotion. How you go about it will depend on where you are, but what we've done has mostly centred around the internet (myspace, facebook and Anorak). We've also designed and printed posters and made flyers, and have distributed them around the city in places where people who are likely to be into the night would go (bars, cafes, record shops, clothes shops etc). Also think about newspaper or online listings, if you want to publicise it to that extent.
Probably hardest of all, you'll have to think of a name. I can't tell you how difficult this part was! Lynsey and I pretty much relied on song titles and lyrics; always a good source for that kind of thing.
I really hope this hasn't come across as overly negative (or stating the obvious). I think it's great that you want to start something. Good luck, and let us know how it's going!

anders

Post by anders » Sun Sep 07, 2008 23:53

Colin wrote:Wake The President - Mail Alice*
I have an mp3 of this that I downloaded from somewhere... Just give me an e-mail address if you still need it and I'll send it to you.

Is this you planning the DJing NPL style? All Excel sheets and lists and carefully thought out sequencing? I'd come with a couple of requests, but I'm not going to be there for the first one, so I'll leave it till October.

Colin

Post by Colin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 23:58

anders wrote:
Colin wrote:Wake The President - Mail Alice*
I have an mp3 of this that I downloaded from somewhere... Just give me an e-mail address if you still need it and I'll send it to you.

Is this you planning the DJing NPL style? All Excel sheets and lists and carefully thought out sequencing? I'd come with a couple of requests, but I'm not going to be there for the first one, so I'll leave it till October.
Yes, absolutely! I think Lynsey and I both feel like we have to be prepared for the first one. Hopefully once we have a better idea of what we're doing we can afford to be a bit more relaxed about it. Anyway, it's fun to think up playlists when I'm bored at work.
If you wouldn't mind sending that mp3 to halfmyheartbeats@gmail.com, that'd be great. It'd be good to hear your requests too, but probably best to wait until you're around to hear them.

anders

Post by anders » Mon Sep 08, 2008 00:12

If I ever DJed I'd be seriously tempted to just burn my set on a CD and press play so that I could go and dance to what would be The Best DJ Set Ever. (Not suggesting you do that.)

I'm sure it'll be really really good, Colin. Let's just hope the rest of Glasgow realise that it will! O, and please remember to save some of the good songs for next month!

soft revolution
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duncydunc

Post by soft revolution » Mon Sep 08, 2008 00:45

Colin wrote:
anders wrote:Is this you planning the DJing NPL style? All Excel sheets and lists and carefully thought out sequencing? I'd come with a couple of requests, but I'm not going to be there for the first one, so I'll leave it till October.
Yes, absolutely! I think Lynsey and I both feel like we have to be prepared for the first one. Hopefully once we have a better idea of what we're doing we can afford to be a bit more relaxed about it. Anyway, it's fun to think up playlists when I'm bored at work.
I was utterly terrified about not having an idea what to play before my first one, so I came up with little prompt sheets - one for 8.30 to 9.30, 9.30 to 10.30 and 10.30 to the rest of the night. The plan was interesting B-sides and slower ones that people like at the start moving up to full on popdance classics after 10.30.

The playlists are a good idea, but if you build up confidence then try and go off piste a bit, you can always pick up where you leave off. You pick it up quicker than you think .

Have you asked the venue if you can familiarise yourself with the equipment beforehand? May be worth turning up a little early if the room would be closed otherwise and they let you in.

There's two of you which is good, so as you're just starting it's probably worth the non-DJing one to stick by the desk to help out and to make sure that the DJing one doesn't get flapped at by drunk ladies from Bearwood wanting to hear Foo Fighters, like what happened to poor Stu first time he DJ'd at the Autumn Store. I'm sure that won't happen though.
And by me, I mean, Flexo.

Colin

Post by Colin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:01

soft revolution wrote:I was utterly terrified about not having an idea what to play before my first one, so I came up with little prompt sheets - one for 8.30 to 9.30, 9.30 to 10.30 and 10.30 to the rest of the night. The plan was interesting B-sides and slower ones that people like at the start moving up to full on popdance classics after 10.30.

The playlists are a good idea, but if you build up confidence then try and go off piste a bit, you can always pick up where you leave off. You pick it up quicker than you think .

Have you asked the venue if you can familiarise yourself with the equipment beforehand? May be worth turning up a little early if the room would be closed otherwise and they let you in.

There's two of you which is good, so as you're just starting it's probably worth the non-DJing one to stick by the desk to help out and to make sure that the DJing one doesn't get flapped at by drunk ladies from Bearwood wanting to hear Foo Fighters, like what happened to poor Stu first time he DJ'd at the Autumn Store. I'm sure that won't happen though.
I think we're both doing a similar thing in terms of allocating different songs to different parts of the night. I've divided what I want to play into 'early' and 'late', early being the more obscure stuff that people won't necessarily know but that are ace, then more well-know stuff that people will hopefully dance to later on (although I'll throw a few of them in earlier on so people aren't sitting there for 45 mins going 'what's this shit he's playing?').
I think we'll turn up earlyish to have a go on the equipment. Certainly I think I'll need that. I think kingofpartick will also be there though, and he's a veteran at this stuff and is familiar with the venue and the equipment so I'm sure he'll see us right if anything untoward happens.
Re: what anders said about putting a CD on and pressing play, I did jokingly suggest to Lynsey that I should play her set and she should play mine, so we both get to dance to the stuff we really want to hear. I dunno, I think there'll be a certain enjoyment in seeing people (hopefully) dancing to records you've put on, even if you can't join in.