Trust Fund

popbands, poplabels, poprecords

Moderator: shaved head thrills

noLooking

Trust Fund

Post by noLooking » Tue Nov 25, 2014 17:54

Time for Trust Fund to have a thread of their own, I think.

'Reading the Wrappers' and 'No Pressure' have been two of my favourite songs of the year so far, so I was really looking forward to Trust Fund having an album out, and now here it is (nearly). "No-one's Coming For Us' will be released in February on Turnstile Music, which I already thought was quite a big label (Cate Le Bon, Gruff Rhys, etc.), but, looking into it, it turns out it's distributed by Caroline, which is a part of Universal, so on the one hand you could say that this was the beginning of the Trust Fund play for world domination, which couldn't happen to a better band, or, on the other, the beginning of the sad and terrible process of their being ground to dust under the wheels of The Buisiness. I will optimistically hope for the former. Handsome LP and CD set can be ordered here, for those who like to spend their money months in advance.
http://shop.turnstilemusic.net/product/ ... -pre-order

Anyway, here's the first song from the album, which starts a bit grungy (though not too much so) and comes together nicely for a big finish.

I'd put up the video for 'Reading The Wrappers' which, apart from being a wonderful song, is a very fine video in itself (I liked the DiY aspect of the story of it's making, where the film-maker was going to do it all animated, but their computer packed up, so she just had some people run around in masks with the cartoon characters' faces on), but I've already put it up twice on here and wish to avoid overkill, so instead I'll put up this very fine version of 'No Pressure', where the band do the 'human brass band' thing (not sure if they do that on the record but it's very convincing all the same).

Trust Fund! Hurrah!

noLooking

Re: Trust Fund

Post by noLooking » Thu Jan 22, 2015 23:28

I like this new song better than the other one, it's got a nice lo-fi feel to it. Great, pro-procrastination video as well:

In other news, there is to be a tape/download version of the album on Reeks of Effort, which I have opted for due to being a cheap commoner who can't afford proper records. You may join me if you wish here:

https://reeksofeffort.bandcamp.com/albu ... ing-for-us

No one else like Trust Fund then? No one got an opinion on their new material? No one who can raise themselves above an interest level of 'comatose' vis-a-vis their continued existence or otherwise?

Is there anyone out there? At all? Ah well...

*sulks in the corner of desolate, lonely thread as a solitary voice bounces around the walls*

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Fri Jan 23, 2015 07:22

I love Trust Fund. There seems to be an absolute onslaught of new stuff that I want to hear at the start of this year though so I'm struggling to keep up.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Fri Jan 23, 2015 07:47

Brilliant, I thought that I'd die alone in here!

Yeah, it's easy to get snowed under these days, isn't it. I spent the last year trying to catch up with about twenty years of indiepop whilst keeping up with what was coming out, and I failed miserably, but that's part of the fun I think. I was always going to get this one though.

I'll say it again. Trust Fund! Hurrah!

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Fri Jan 23, 2015 08:47

I feel like there's more stuff that I'm interested in coming out in the next month or so than there was in the whole of last year! I've opted to just pre-order things and listen to them when they arrive rather than trying to follow the stream of pre-release videos / streams. Thanks for the reminder on this one anyway, I have now ordered and I look forward to storming back in here with my opinions in a couple of weeks time!

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Fri Jan 23, 2015 20:33

I saw them at indietracks last year and they were great. I haven't got any of their records yet but I really should have.

ShaunBrilldream
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by ShaunBrilldream » Sat Jan 24, 2015 01:37

I love Trust Fund. Coolest Guy is my favourite.
And we just can't wait to make more mistakes and to fluff our breaks, and to stuff our faces with cake.

The FinchleyTed fanclub.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Sun Jan 25, 2015 22:54

tonieee wrote:I saw them at indietracks last year and they were great. I haven't got any of their records yet but I really should have.
May I be so bold as to suggest the split EP with Joanna Gruesome? The three Trust Fund songs are all tremendous. If there is anything as windswept and magnificent and generally awesome as 'No Pressure' on the album it'll piss all over everything else released this year. It only costs a pound to download it as well!

I changed the picture on Trust Fund's Last fm page the other day from the 'cat' picture to the 'band' picture. Such is my power.

I'm glad there's some love for Trust Fund in here now, it was all quiet and gloomy before. I suppose it served me right though for starting a new thread during what Anorak historians are doubtless already calling 'The Great Silence'.

paukl

Post by paukl » Mon Jan 26, 2015 00:56

Trust Fund are my favourite live band.

darren

Post by darren » Mon Jan 26, 2015 09:18

this thread made me listen to Trust Fund. Essay to Write is brilliant. I will be buying something of theirs very soon!

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:34

Just seen this brilliant dog based video for 'Cut Me Out', which is really growing on me. Now with Owen from Joanna Gruesome on guitar - I can't keep up anymore (in fact I'm probably way behind already).

That riff is very Nirvana, isn't it.

indiehorse

Post by indiehorse » Mon Jan 26, 2015 18:54

andyiong wrote:Now with Owen from Joanna Gruesome on guitar - I can't keep up anymore (in fact I'm probably way behind already).
I think (although I may be completely wrong) Owen is just here for the video and isn't a touring/recording member of the band. Likewise with Camille.

The Trust Fund line-up varies from show to show. Sometimes it's Rosie (Oh Peas!) on guitar; sometimes it's Stefano. Sometimes it's Grace (Middle Ones) on drums; sometimes it's Dan. I believe all have contributed to the album.

That's my understanding anyway.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Mon Jan 26, 2015 18:57

indiehorse wrote:
andyiong wrote:Now with Owen from Joanna Gruesome on guitar - I can't keep up anymore (in fact I'm probably way behind already).
I think (although I may be completely wrong) Owen is just here for the video and isn't a touring/recording member of the band. Likewise with Camille.

The Trust Fund line-up varies from show to show. Sometimes it's Rosie (Oh Peas!) on guitar; sometimes it's Stefano. Sometimes it's Grace (Middle Ones) on drums; sometimes it's Dan. I believe all have contributed to the album.

Cheers for clarifying, I'm sure you'd know better than me!

sweepingthenation
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sweepingnation

Post by sweepingthenation » Mon Jan 26, 2015 19:00

indiehorse wrote:

The last couple of times I've seen them, which were months apart, the band were Rosie, Grace and Roxy who is Two White Cranes, and I think that's the lineup in the last full band promo shot.

indiehorse

Post by indiehorse » Mon Jan 26, 2015 19:21

sweepingthenation wrote:The last couple of times I've seen them, which were months apart, the band were Rosie, Grace and Roxy who is Two White Cranes, and I think that's the lineup in the last full band promo shot.
The last time I saw Trust Fund (November in London) it was the Ellis/Roxy/Stefano/Dan line-up. Which is the same as the first two times I saw them (April in Nottingham/London). Inbetween those shows, I saw the Ellis/Roxy/Rosie/Grace line-up (Indietracks).

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Sat Feb 07, 2015 15:48

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Tue Feb 10, 2015 23:41

What do people think of the album then?

I've listened to it two or three times and I really like it. It's more lo-fi than last year's EP, which works well (it works both ways really, 'cos they're ace), and it's also quite expansive and varied I thought. The sort-of-power pop one with a tinny drum machine beat is really good and the acoustic song/duet with Roxy is gorgeous (I hope she's a permanent member, I can't really imagine Trust Fund without her vocals now).

Also, just found this 'listeners guide' on tumblr (presumably by Ellis) which is quite touching, in a sometimes funny, sometimes uncomfortable, but always rather endearing sort of way...
hiya

i have spent some of the last year making an album and i put some of my life into it
BUT the album only comes truly alive when you allow it to
it will have the life that you allow it to have BUT…
if you want your experience of it to be close to my experience of writing and making and living it then there are ways of helping this happen

you might:

listen on the cheapest worst earphones you have
really the worst
try and make them worse
scrunch them up and
keep them underneath your heaviest things
at the bottom of your biggest bag
they should fizz and buzz and rattle
ideally one of the earphones should sometimes cut out completely

listen on the way home from seeing one of your very closest friends
you and your friend should be growing further apart
you and your friend should ideally have gone out for a while
ideally you will have just broken up
ideally one of you will have deeply wronged the other
(or one of you should have this perception)
the two of you were best friends and what are you now
probably something else
maybe nothing

listen next to a big and busy road
an a-road that runs out of shops and turns into a dual carriageway
and then turns into an a-road again
struggle to hear the quiet bits over big lorries
ideally dont struggle at all
let the quiet bits go
think about other stuff

listen in the dark or in the nearly dark
look at street lights
ideally it is raining
ideally you do not have a hood
you do not have an umbrella

listen as your phone is running out of battery
worry that you should not be listening to music
in case your phone dies
and you dont feel safe
ideally your phone will die before the end
maybe on track 8 or 9

listen when you are crying
or wishing that you could cry
ideally you are crying but still feeling like this is not real
and feeling that everything is fucked
ideally
everything is fucked

if you have your earphones in
walking by a big road
in the dark
away from your best friend
for the last time
wishing you could cry
and your phone is dying

no one’s coming for us

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Tue Feb 17, 2015 15:41

now then Glasgows - i've got a +1 for this lot at Nice N Sleazy tonight. anyone fancy it?

sorry to spam, but i'm going to post in the Glasgow thread too. i = awful.
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:44

andyiong wrote: Also, just found this 'listeners guide' on tumblr (presumably by Ellis) which is quite touching, in a sometimes funny, sometimes uncomfortable, but always rather endearing sort of way...
<3 <3

I have this weird fear and awe of Ellis/Trust Fund, like when someone in speaking in tongues and you are entranced and you've no idea what's going on and you're staring at the depths of your very soul.

Love the album. Once I stopped sobbing, it bloomed.

boney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boneyboy

Post by boney » Sat Feb 21, 2015 20:39

They were brilliant in Brighton last night. Dancing, grinning brilliant.