The Middle Ones

popbands, poplabels, poprecords

Moderator: shaved head thrills

discount_horse

Re: The Middle Ones

Post by discount_horse » Sat May 19, 2012 15:47

everard wrote:Image
can be preordered from discount horse & stitch-stitch. can't wait!
Yes! You can here a song from it on the Middle Ones bandcamp too: http://themiddleones.bandcamp.com/album/slow-and-steady

everard

Post by everard » Tue Jun 05, 2012 19:33

wow: slow and steady is mastered much louder than it is the rehearsal that will make this.

on one hand, that's useful for listing on an mp3 player in public (tube noise certainly drowns out large chunks of the first album, even at full volume) and may be more immediate to first-time listeners, but i can't help feeling it removes a lot of what made the first album so special. the space given to the songs, the slow build up, the subtlety, the way the loud parts offer drama. a listening comparison could be done with "courage": the album version vs the remastered single version.

clearly the person who mastered it listened to the predecessor and was frustrated by the quiet! if there's a problem, it's that some of the double bass and bass drum actually sounds distorted at times (e.g. on "i have not learned"). they're different songs, so a different approach isn't necessarily inappropriate, and it's not like it's a bad album: this really comes down to an issue of personal taste, and it'll never be my go-to middle ones album, but people who hear this first may well prefer it. anyway, everyone should buy this cd in order to disagree with me. £6 ppd, £10 ppd for both albums.

the songs are, of course, uniformly excellent (although i think "monsters" works better live, and prefer the original version of "drops" before they went all sea shanty on it). funnily enough my favourite part is the 2:20 instrumental intro to opener "after": personally i'd have made it a song in its own right. called "before". see, all ideas here. then it'd be another eleven track album and there'd be two fantastic songs rather than one. stylistically it works as an excellent bridge between the albums. "show and tell" (very similar intro to "step out") is another favourite. best band around.

colinsmitten
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/colinclary

Post by colinsmitten » Tue Jun 05, 2012 20:22

I can't wait to have an opinion on this new one - preordered mine a little while ago!

I will say that I loved "it is the rehearsal..." but did find some of my friends frustrated with the volume softness and then big swells (uneven-ness in the mastering), but I also felt like it made it more intimate and fun as well.

Can't wait to get my ears on this new batch - the middle ones are one of my top faves as well!
yow!
being nice IS a political act!

everard

Post by everard » Tue Jun 05, 2012 21:47

colinsmitten wrote:I will say that I loved "it is the rehearsal..." but did find some of my friends frustrated with the volume softness and then big swells (uneven-ness in the mastering), but I also felt like it made it more intimate and fun as well.
ah, that's interesting. overall high volume aside, it could be that the dynamic range of the second album is closer to the way the songs were played during recording than the first. 'swelling' is exactly the word that michal (who mastered the first, and mixed both) used when i talked with him about it, and it's very possible his approach was more hands-on in maximising the impact of the swells: unevenness for deliberate effect.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 05, 2012 21:52

I got mine today when I got back to London. I can't wait to play it - but not had a chance yet. I think The Middle Ones are one of the best bands out there at the moment.
not really here

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 00:30

the first record is simply lovely

defo looking forward to hearing the new un
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:31

WHY ISN'T THE NEW ALBUM IN MY EARS RIGHT NOW?
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

discount_horse

Post by discount_horse » Wed Jun 06, 2012 17:13

so yeah. Slow and Steady is "officially" out "now".

I haven't decided whether I'm stressed out about it or not, I feel like I should be busier and being more "label-ish". Either way, it's nice. Check it out.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 06, 2012 21:39

everard wrote:wow: slow and steady is mastered much louder than it is the rehearsal that will make this.
Just listened to the new one and yep, it's a mastered a lot louder and I do think the drums distort a little - but I don't mind that. I also prefer the scattered up and down approach of it is the rehearsal that will make this but maybe I just know this record better. slow and steady is still a great record, though.
not really here

lynsosaurus
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by lynsosaurus » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:36

My copy has been posted but it isn't here yet. HURRY UP ROYAL MAIL.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:38

lynsosaurus wrote:My copy has been posted but it isn't here yet. HURRY UP ROYAL MAIL.
SAME. It's like being desperate for a wee. Sort of.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

everard

Post by everard » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:12

Trev wrote:I don't mind [distortion]
as someone who releases tmls/tbhw records this comes as no surprise! i like it when it's used well and intentionally, just find it weird on acoustic instruments.

forgot to say, really nice that the packaging is almost identical to the first one, the text on the spines lines up when they're alongside one another, etc. these things matter! inner artwork's a bit garish, though.
roundbitsofplastic wrote:
lynsosaurus wrote:My copy has been posted but it isn't here yet. HURRY UP ROYAL MAIL.
SAME. It's like being desperate for a wee. Sort of.
i ordered a copy from each label and the stitch-stitch one arrived this morning so yours may well be waiting for you on your doormat.

tobifail
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tobydynamik

Post by tobifail » Thu Jun 07, 2012 14:31

everard wrote: forgot to say, really nice that the packaging is almost identical to the first one, the text on the spines lines up when they're alongside one another, etc. these things matter!
They do indeed.
I may order it now... putting my tedious "i only buy vinyl" nonsense to bed once and for all, maybe
c i s i s t h e h e a v e n l e y o p t i o n

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Jun 07, 2012 14:47

everard wrote:i ordered a copy from each label and the stitch-stitch one arrived this morning so yours may well be waiting for you on your doormat.
Here's hoping. Though knowing my luck it's gone back to the distribution office. EARLY morning for me tomorrow..

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

discount_horse

Post by discount_horse » Thu Jun 07, 2012 15:08

roundbitsofplastic wrote:
everard wrote:i ordered a copy from each label and the stitch-stitch one arrived this morning so yours may well be waiting for you on your doormat.
Here's hoping. Though knowing my luck it's gone back to the distribution office. EARLY morning for me tomorrow..
Yours was a big ol' box, so yeah, that's probably it. Sorry it wasn't with you pre-bank holiday.

Also, this went public yesterday - It's another new song from Slow and Steady, but with a video by Jack Barraclough

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Jun 07, 2012 15:15

discount_horse wrote:
Yours was a big ol' box, so yeah, that's probably it. Sorry it wasn't with you pre-bank holiday.
Ah well, something to look forward to, eh?

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

lynsosaurus

Post by lynsosaurus » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:26

Mine arrive today! YAS!

I am only on my second listen but I am in love with it already. I really loved the whole unevenness in 'It Is The Rehearsal..' and this is obviously different in that sense, but I think it has always been the vocal combination and the syncopation that has drawn me in and that's still the case with this album, for me. The brass in the intro to the first song gave me goosebumps. I'm not HUGELY keen on Monsters yet, but I think it will be a grower. I love the rest of it without reservation.

paukl

Post by paukl » Fri Jun 08, 2012 13:48

Monsters is huge live. HUGE.

For the record I love this album more than all forms of confectionary. It's incredible.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Jun 08, 2012 19:29

finally showed up today. <3 it <3 them <3 discount horse.

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Fri Jun 08, 2012 20:32

Aaah I'm really jealous of you all. I decided not to buy it online cos I'll be seeing them next week and can buy one off them in person but that means I've got to wait a whole extra week to hear it!