Allo, Darlin'

popbands, poplabels, poprecords

Moderator: shaved head thrills

a layer of chips
Posts: 18616
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 09:17
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by a layer of chips » Fri Jun 08, 2012 09:10

Can you explain your post, please? Ta.

roundbitsofplastic
Posts: 5336
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:57
Location: Brumagem

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Jun 08, 2012 09:34

Ian, it really might help if you just explain what you meant by the post.

I have no idea who the other person is (Amy MacDonald)? And I'm not sure which song you're talking about, so I am fully happy to admit that I may have the wrong end of the stick, but you're comment looked sexist to me on more than one level.

I can't you two flinging shit doing any favours for anyone.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

User avatar
RITH
Posts: 3355
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 08:35
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH
Location: Almere
Contact:

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by RITH » Fri Jun 08, 2012 09:35

iainmayfield wrote:You know - what I don't understand is why you have such a problem with me? You can practically guarantee that every time I make a post there's always some smart alec purile response by you. Is it envy, greed or the fact you have nothing else in your putrid little life to occupy your time? It seems that if anyones opinion isn't that of your own then its not right. Its about time we made a stand against twats like you.
Do you visit these forums often, Iain? If you do, you've probably noticed that 'incidents' like this hardly ever happen. Really, almost never. When they do happen, it's because someone made a seemingly inappropriate post (sexist, for example). If an administrator (a layer of chips) asks for an explanation, it hardly makes them a twat, does it?

Go on, search the forum for discussions like this. The three or four time you may find them in the five years we've been here, it's because someone is being a dick (deliberate or not). If these other discussions involved you as well (I truly don't know), you may want to consider what that means.

User avatar
iainmayfield
Posts: 455
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 16:46

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by iainmayfield » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:14

RITH wrote:Do you visit these forums often, Iain? If you do, you've probably noticed that 'incidents' like this hardly ever happen. Really, almost never. When they do happen, it's because someone made a seemingly inappropriate post (sexist, for example). If an administrator (a layer of chips) asks for an explanation, it hardly makes them a twat, does it?
I've been on Anorak for many years. I just don't bother making many posts these days (like a lot of other people). It seems of little worth when someone who is in the postion of being an "administrator" has to make childlike comments against everything you post.... It seems that some people just don't like others to have an opinion. We all like different things. We all see things in different lights. We all have an opinion. I haven't made any sexist comments and I cant really see where that one came from really? Any way - this is totally off topic - apologies again to Allo Darlin.

See you all at Indietracks - perhaps we should hold a debate

a layer of chips
Posts: 18616
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 09:17
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by a layer of chips » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:19

OH NO. A LOT OF PEOPLE AREN'T MAKING POSTS ON ANORAK ANY MORE.

You don't need to have such a high opinion of yourself, y'know. I'm not the one saying: "Yeah, I know you are" after you've posted. I think that's "childlike". Nor am I bothered about being an admistrator; anorak hardly needs them - unlike a lot of other messageboards. All I wanted was an explanation of your post, because it reads to me like you should be apologising to Allo Darlin' for more than just taking the thread off-topic.

Can you explain your post, please?

User avatar
iainmayfield
Posts: 455
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 16:46

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by iainmayfield » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:26

see what I mean everyone?

a layer of chips
Posts: 18616
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 09:17
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by a layer of chips » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:47

Iain, sweetheart, you made me do it. I looked up when I last replied to you on anorak.

http://anorakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 34#p169334

It's been a while, getting on for two years - and at our time of life you can't hang about, but I'm glad you've missed me.

Could you please explain your original post, and hopefully we can give each other a manly hug at Indietracks. Possibly when Allo Darlin' are playing songs off of their ace new album.

User avatar
lynsosaurus
Posts: 3469
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 18:13
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Auld Reekie
Contact:

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by lynsosaurus » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:17

iainmayfield wrote:
It's because your not a man... visualise Liz - then visualise Amy - see what I mean?
Iain, I don't know you at all, but if ANYONE had posted this comment on Anorak, I'm pretty sure they would have been met with a fair bit of resistance. It's sexist and it objectifies women. You're quite right to apologise, but not for derailing the thread - for reducing two female artists to their appearance instead of their actual talent. I don't really give a shit whether you have an appreciation for the musical talents of Amy McDonald; you can like what you like. I was merely stating (earlier in the thread) that I think she has written some good pop songs. You were the one who decided to reduce two female artists to nothing more than a face to look at, and it's a bit churlish to start chucking your toys out the pram when people get a bit pissed off about that.

User avatar
everard
Posts: 1631
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 22:29
Location: se london
Contact:

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by everard » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:45

ianmayfield wrote:It's because your not a man... visualise Liz - then visualise Amy - see what I mean?
sexism, heterosexism and bad grammar.

also, gotta love irony-free use of the phrase "twat" by a couple of people when calling out someone else on their sexism :-/

--------------

on topic, good to hear the "europe" 7" happened after all.

a layer of chips
Posts: 18616
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 09:17
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by a layer of chips » Fri Jun 08, 2012 13:09

God, Everard, you're the reason most people don't post on anorak any more. Can't I even use the word "twat" any more?

(I was, of course, using the word in reference to the bottom-feeding fish)

User avatar
everard
Posts: 1631
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 22:29
Location: se london
Contact:

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by everard » Fri Jun 08, 2012 13:12

i'm working on making the internet a nerdier and joyless place, one site at a time, yes.

to those leaving anorak, i say: goodbye, darlin'

User avatar
linus
Posts: 2491
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 17:55

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by linus » Fri Jun 08, 2012 13:22

Referring to a book on slang for the derivation of the word 'twat' I note:
Twat, I'd say, occupies the same linguistic space in English as con does in French: a fool that you tolerate, probably a little patronisingly. It's been around since the mid seventeenth century. The OED has it 'of obscure origin'. Green's Dictionary of Slang suggests 'twitchel', an old dialect word for a narrow passage.
Which is sort of good news for the twatters and the twattees, whether it's use suggests sexism on the part of the user or enforces sexism across society is, I'm sure, open to debate

Anyway, I've been Robert Robinson and I bid you, one and all, good morrow

a layer of chips
Posts: 18616
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 09:17
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by a layer of chips » Fri Jun 08, 2012 13:23

I'll never think of my back passage in the same way now.

User avatar
knibbles
Posts: 1043
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 17:46
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by knibbles » Fri Jun 08, 2012 21:59

iainmayfield wrote: Its about time we made a stand against twats like you.
I think it's great that people make a stand against sexism, racism and other prejudices on anorak. That's a more important stand then standing up to that cock a layer of chips. It's better than real life where we suffer sexism, and in the cases of others racism and homophobia, on a daily basis and just have to try and get on with things. If people have actually stopped posting on anorak because they are worried about getting called out on being sexist or racist or any other prejudice, then I think that's a really good thing. If the people you are talking about can't say anything without being prejudiced then I'm quite glad they are choosing to not say anything at all. I don't think the challenging attitude to perceived prejudice on anorak is a bad thing, I think it's a brilliant thing and I wish there was more of it, and people felt able to talk about it and challenge it in other areas of their life.

I don't really understand your comment from earlier, all I know is that my reaction as a woman is that it comes across that you are reducing two women's worth to their physical appearance. A few people have now given you the benefit of the doubt and asked you to clarify and you haven't. Calling people a twat isn't really helping explain anything. Best thing to do is think about what you wrote, and how it comes across, and how that might make women feel, and how it might be another small thing that adds to women's daily struggle against all this bollocks, and maybe reflect on that, or clear up what you meant.

The new allo' darlin album is good, inny it?
Daddy is dead on a sunshine day

User avatar
deerful
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:58
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/justmade
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by deerful » Sat Jun 09, 2012 00:24

everard wrote:
ianmayfield wrote:It's because your not a man... visualise Liz - then visualise Amy - see what I mean?
sexism, heterosexism and bad grammar.

also, gotta love irony-free use of the phrase "twat" by a couple of people when calling out someone else on their sexism :-/

--------------

on topic, good to hear the "europe" 7" happened after all.
Comments like this (and a layer of chips's too) are actually one of the reasons I'm glad I discovered Anorak. It's very refreshing to be in an online space where people actually do call this stuff out and it's not just viewed as The Normal Way To Talk About Women On The Internet.

And I'm aware I'm just derailing the thread further, so I'll stop. Hurrah for Allo Darlin', hurrah for thinking about the things we say, hurrah for trying to make the world a little bit easier to live in and also filling it with good pop songs.
I'm Emma. Insert Field Mice reference here.
http://deerful.com | http://twitter.com/deer_ful | http://facebook.com/deerful

Arthur
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 18:06

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by Arthur » Sat Jun 09, 2012 16:01

Blimey! Money's been a bit tight of recent and there were a number of new records to buy and Allo Darlin' is one i've had to put off for just a while, so i thought i'd pop by to see what folks were saying about it...and found a war zone. Never knew the anoraks had it in them. Fear not, I shall be purchasing the album next week so will find out then...

Elpresidente
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 02:53
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Contact:

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by Elpresidente » Sun Jun 10, 2012 16:51

Blimey.

To clear things up on the less controversial side of things...

Rough Trade (or specifically the lovely Sean Forbes) made Allo Darlin' their Album Of The Month. They then asked if the band would like to do a bonus CD, we weren't forced to do it. Although it's supposed to be exclusive to RT I've been slipping them into mail orders and giving them away when selling at gigs, etc, but I can't really advertise that fact. If you've bought the album elsewhere and want a bonus CD then let me know the next time you order something direct, or grab me at a gig, and I'll be happy to hand one over.

The Europe 7" was delayed because we didn't get the artwork in time, but it is ready now. The B-side's a really beautiful, slower version of the song "Some People Say", from the album, it's on blue vinyl, and you can buy it here:

http://www.fortunapop.com/release_detai ... no=FPOP131

Also, we just put tickets on sale for their next London gig, at King's College on the 13th September. We should hopefully be announcing the supports this week.

Tickets here: http://www.wegottickets.com/event/171701
The past is a disaster and the future's coming faster now what d'you say we go and get a beer?
http://www.fortunapop.com
http://www.myspace.com/fortunapoprecords
Cool Sounds for the kids since 1996

julieocean
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 16:35

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by julieocean » Mon Jun 11, 2012 08:24

Been listening to the covers album a lot, but not the album itself - I've got a lot on at the moment and I wanted time to savour it. Anyway I gave it another spin last night and I love it - I think it IS as immediate as the first one and I suspect over time I might even love it more.

I was going to wade in to the Elizabeth/Amy inappropriate comment debate, but knibbles said it all so much better than I ever could (thank you!).

User avatar
lynsosaurus
Posts: 3469
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 18:13
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Auld Reekie
Contact:

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by lynsosaurus » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:49

Ooh, that's good news about the covers one! I didn't get a copy of that and have been silently fuming* and wondering whether I should order another copy just to get it.


*not really

djbones
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 23:19

Re: Allo, Darlin'

Post by djbones » Tue Jun 19, 2012 13:23

Wakefield gig at The Hop on 31st August. Yay

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BLEX [Bot] and 2 guests