NYC POPFEST 2009 !!! (May 14-15-16-17)

and one pop mayhem!
squirrelboutique

Re: NYC POPFEST 2009 !!! (May 14-15-16-17)

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue May 19, 2009 3:52 am

I fixed it!

That's awesome! How'd they manage to make the best theme song of all time even better?

yubo

Post by yubo » Tue May 19, 2009 4:13 am

oh, you're so smart.

I know! I keep hitting replay.
Butt.

String Bean Jen
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/

Post by String Bean Jen » Tue May 19, 2009 12:04 pm

From Brooklyn Vegan: Who's this then? :-)
You two are standing in front of two of my pals from Chicago! Katie from Very Truly Yours and Chris who does a fantastic indie pop radio show.

I just watched all those videos. The Smittens giving it up for the Golden Girls - awesome. The Tartans doing 'Cats of Camerford' - brilliant. Especially with Brian getting down at the end and the keyboardist giving it his all with one hand on the keyboard or tambourine and the other on his can of BEER. :-) Liechtenstein doing 'Everything's for Sale' - hypnotic. My favorite must be Cats on Fire doing 'Tears in Your Cup.' It seems Mattias has gotten even more deliciously camp since I last saw him. Oh! The part where he rests his face in his hands and then wraps the mic chord around his neck. My god. He makes me quiver.

It needs to be posted again.
There's more than one use for every part

bluespring

Post by bluespring » Tue May 19, 2009 4:06 pm

Saw only Friday and Sunday shows but here's my recap
-Don Lennon was ok
-Tartans are good but their songs are way too short
-Liechtenstein are cute but they sound like Swedish Vivian Girls, gahhhh
-Radio Dept is amazing
-Cats on Fire killed it!!

and Don Hill's bouncer still sucks

-The Icicles need more orange
-Casper and Cookies are fun
-Burning Hearts are good but their set up/sound at Cakeshop is bad
-Suburban Kids w/ Biblical Names are very good, oh and fun too

and my friend took all the left over bagels

Colin
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/colinbmx

Post by Colin » Tue May 19, 2009 4:24 pm

bluespring wrote:-Liechtenstein are cute but they sound like Swedish Vivian Girls, gahhhh
You say that like it's a bad thing.

bluespring

Post by bluespring » Tue May 19, 2009 8:25 pm

Colin wrote:
bluespring wrote:-Liechtenstein are cute but they sound like Swedish Vivian Girls, gahhhh
Just high expectations.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue May 19, 2009 10:23 pm

String Bean Jen wrote:You two are standing in front of two of my pals from Chicago! Katie from Very Truly Yours and Chris who does a fantastic indie pop radio show.
Ha! I totally talked to your friend from VTY while she was on the merch. booth! Too funny that you know each other and I didn't know she was in a band when that photo was taken. I look sweaty and drunk. I was hoping I was neither.

I have no photos, but don't hate me, my camera battery shit the bed before it even started and I knew I could count on the kindness (and talent!) of others. I do have a picture of "Bob" on my phone. I wish someone had a picture of yubes and I trying stealthily (and failing) to get his picture.

Man that festival was awesome--and I even crapped out before the headliner! Several thumbs up (if I had more than two).

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue May 19, 2009 10:25 pm

Colin wrote:
I thought they were absolutely fantastic. I couldn't remember them at all fr. indietracks and they blew me away the other night. Tight! Great voices!

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Sat May 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Right, so I should probably give some sort of review of this then since I've been home for 5 days or so now.
It was a lot of fun.
ok, I'll expand.

As has been mentioned, we only managed to see My Teenage Stride and The Ballet on Thursday night. The Cake Shop was pretty rammed and roasting, but both gave good performances. I didn't really know many of the songs My Teenage Stride played, but it was a fun live performance. The Ballet gave a pretty similar performance to the Glasgow one earlier in the year and again they were sounding good, but a little sparse. I wish they were still performing with strings or something to give them a little more oomph. New songs have immediate appeal though, so I'm looking forward to that album to appear soon.

On Friday night we managed to make it in time for the Tartans who were incredibly fun and cute and catchy. A worthy addition to any line-up I would say. Those Liechtenstein girls can put on a great show as well, though I'm still not quite so convinced as others of their genius. We mostly ignored The Radio Dept. because that seemed like the best option. It also led to me bumping into someone I knew from halls in Glasgow, which was a little surprising! We snuck our way back into the crowd for Cats on Fire though, which was fortunate since they were a bit bloody good. That is a great front man right there.

Saturday, we arrived at the door just in the time to hear the opening chords of Eux Autres. I never saw them as a two-piece, but I'm pretty confident the addition of Yoshi as a drummer was a good decision as he's a great one. Heather is a more confident performer than her brother and they shined more during the times she was spotlighted, though again their sound was rather slight. She's also rather beautiful as alongwalkhome will attest. Since she gave her some free pin badges she thinks they're in love or something like that! The Secret History were next on the bill and are a very professional and theatrical outfit. That's not necessarily always a good thing, but it seemed to work for them. Pants Yell! then put on a good performance and we were ready to carry on with the fun, but then the Radio Dept. came on and rather flattened the mood so we left. The vast majority of the crowd did seem to be there for them though, so what can I say.

Sunday was the all-dayer, so we managed to see a grand total of 2 bands! The Smittens were of course wonderful and their set seemed far too short. They surprisingly started with Sapphire and somewhere in there managed to sneak in a version of What Do We Do Now by the Just Joans that goes a little something like this

If you're wondering why the quality's so crappy then it's because I shot it! We stuck around after for Rose Melberg and she was nice if unspectacular. Not being all that familiar with her solo work left it all sounding a little samey, and me longing for some Tiger Trap!

4.5 boroughs out of 5

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Sun May 24, 2009 10:26 am

Heh, I like how your ran a mile every time The Radio Dept. came on.

I can't believe the Smittens did a Just Joans cover; that's amazing.

islandhopper

Post by islandhopper » Sun May 24, 2009 6:29 pm

crystalball wrote:Heh, I like how your ran a mile every time The Radio Dept. came on.

I can't believe the Smittens did a Just Joans cover; that's amazing.
I didn't think The Radio Dept. were very popfest, but their ticket sales probably paid for a whole lot of the other stuff, so there you go.

Not only did the Smittens play a great Just Joans cover, but they're also releasing it at some point. I'm sure they said that themselves at some point, so I think I'm allowed to mention that part of the news.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Mon May 25, 2009 8:55 am

islandhopper wrote:Since she gave her some free pin badges she thinks they're in love or something like that!
Ahem. This love is fucking right. (i.e., she didn't cower in fear when I professed my love and spoke manically all over her. Instead, she asked me my name, introduced herself: "Hi, I'm Heather,"--I was like "Duh!"--and gave me free badges. We're thinking of an autumn wedding.)

islandhopper

Post by islandhopper » Mon May 25, 2009 2:18 pm

alongwalkhome wrote:
islandhopper wrote:Since she gave her some free pin badges she thinks they're in love or something like that!
Ahem. This love is fucking right. (i.e., she didn't cower in fear when I professed my love and spoke manically all over her. Instead, she asked me my name, introduced herself: "Hi, I'm Heather,"--I was like "Duh!"--and gave me free badges. We're thinking of an autumn wedding.)
I want to be page boy.

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Mon May 25, 2009 10:00 pm

alongwalkhome wrote:Ahem. This love is fucking right. (i.e., she didn't cower in fear when I professed my love and spoke manically all over her. Instead, she asked me my name, introduced herself: "Hi, I'm Heather,"--I was like "Duh!"--and gave me free badges. We're thinking of an autumn wedding.)
You might want to get in there sooner, Marcy, because me and Heather are spending a long romantic weekend in Derbyshire in July and I'm planning to give her some free badges too, if you know what I mean.

Er, so were Eux Autres any good then?

islandhopper

Post by islandhopper » Mon May 25, 2009 10:17 pm

crystalball wrote:
You might want to get in there sooner, Marcy, because me and Heather are spending a long romantic weekend in Derbyshire in July and I'm planning to give her some free badges too, if you know what I mean.

I really hope she decided to read this forum now! I was decidedly not invited to visit the merch stall at the same time as others!

They were good, but a little underwhelming. They had a pretty short set and the sound mix wasn't great for whatever reason. It wasn't really their fault so they were good considering.

colinsmitten
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/colinclary

Post by colinsmitten » Fri May 29, 2009 5:01 pm

I was only at this for 1 and a half days - all of the saturday matinee and most of saturday night - and was able to be there on sunday til after Rose Melberg - then we had to get on the road so we could be home in time to be ready for work on monday.

Rose's voice is so perfect it's almost other-worldly, but also so natural sounding as well. What a delight. And I really enjoyed the Radio Dept's set, too!

From a performer's perspective, I have to say the fest was very well run - we had no problems and and a totally easy time getting questions answered and felt very well taken care of.

and the cake shop show was really fun to play!

yow!
colin
being nice IS a political act!

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:41 am

crystalball wrote: You might want to get in there sooner, Marcy, because me and Heather are spending a long romantic weekend in Derbyshire in July and I'm planning to give her some free badges too, if you know what I mean.
Back off, bitch! Oh...erm...my. I don't know what came over me. That girl makes me CRA-Z.
Well. I was so completely hyperactively ballistic (redundant but true in this case) and we were running late cuz the cabbie got lost and they f*cking frisked us going in (WTF?) and I could hear the opening chords of "When I'm Up" from the lobby so I was literally flying on adrenaline; I could have left Chris out in the rain I was that fixated on those Larimers! In reality, their sound was poor and I think they were having a hard time hearing themselves, so Nick was off key, but I just didn't give a shit. It was also disappointing, as good as the new drummer is, not to see Heather behind the drums. I mean, she's clearly a lot happier bouncing around the stage and doing the rock star thing, so good on her, but for selfish reasons, I wanted the image of the "Other Girls" video and, like, my Karen Carpenter fetish to be lived out. She was soooo nice though. I never imagine stunningly beautiful girls to be so nice. (Did I mention the badges?? Heh.)

Colin: It kills me you saying "We kicked about with Kappa track suits on" in your northeast accent. Yay!!

islandhopper

Post by islandhopper » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:55 am

alongwalkhome wrote: they f*cking frisked us going in (WTF?)
They probably heard someone was planning to make sexual advances towards heather.
alongwalkhome wrote: I could have left Chris out in the rain I was that fixated on those Larimers!
I could have died of pneumonia all alone in a Brooklyn back alley and no one would have noticed.
Allow me a little drama please!