2017! What a year

29-31 July 2016: "a collective adventure in generalized joy and freely interdependent exuberance"
lloydybwoy

2017! What a year

Post by lloydybwoy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:57 pm

God that was good. God I love Indietracks.

Highlights this year:

The Hearing. Oh my holy Jebus. Possibly the best set I've ever seen at Indietracks. Just phenomenal. Wow wow wow.
Mammoth Penguins and Friends. Outstanding, emotionally devastating yet with some excellent dancey pop. Emma's best work yet? Brilliant.
Pillow Queens. Next time they play Indietracks they will be much much higher up the bill. Where Martha and the Spook School have gone, they can follow.
The Just Joans finishing their set with perfect comic timing.
Cate Le Bon. I wasn't sure how her set would go down. Shouldn't have worried. What a fabulous end to the weekend.
Teen Canteen. Exquisite perfect pop.
Peaness are really very good indeed aren't they?
Hayley having her wallet handed in with all the money still in it. What a lovely bunch of people.
The coconut chutney.
Deerful in the merch tent.
Cowtown finishing with Emojicore and some very strong poses.
A new can crusher!
The sheer volume of fantastic inspiring women on stage. Every other festival (and let's face it, most gigs) really needs to have a long hard look at its lineup.
I have a feeling the karaoke may become an annual thing!

Not so highlights:

Rain scuppering the Monkey Swallows the Universe set. The shed was the worst possible venue for them. We had to leave to avoid getting upset by it. Not how I want to remember their music.
Personal Best having a blowout on the motorway getting to the site. Having said that, This Is What We Look Like made up for everything. Such an important song.
Missing MJ Hibbett.
Carnival of Food's coffee is crap.

One of my favourite Indietracks for a few years. Thanks to everyone involved - you probably have some idea what it means to everyone, but it still can't be overstated.

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Re: 2017! What a year

Post by tompony » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:13 pm

lloydybwoy wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:57 pm
Carnival of Food's coffee is crap.
The vegan burrito place did good coffee! I miss the proper coffee stall / truck (can't really remember) from a few years ago, though. Bring it back in '18, Indietracks!

Anyway, despite the weather (which wasn't actually as bad as I thought it might be) and feeling a little low-level unwell for some of it, this was still one of my absolute favourites of the ten (ten!) Indietrackses that I've been to! Martha were absolutely sensational on Friday night, Rainbow Reservoir and Frankie Cosmos were sparkling highlights of Saturday and battling the rain to a soundtrack of the Wave Pictures was weirdly enjoyable. I also really enjoyed Luby Sparks, Baby Arms, Maybe Don't, Enderby's Room and, probably, some bands that don't fit that weirdly common "first words ends with a B and a Y, second word has one syllable" naming pattern that I hadn't noticed until just now.

Not so highlights:
The entire Onsind merch-tent set being drowned out by one woman loudly talking about herself even after being politely asked to stop by at least two different people.
Only ordering a "small" burrito the first time I had a burrito, thus preventing me from having more "grande" burritos.

That's it, I think, it was a really, really good one. Thanks to all of the team!

Michael Quentin
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Michael Quentin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:01 pm

I'll confess that I looked at the line-up and thought it looked like the Indietrackest Indietracks since first attending in 2013 (strictly for Camera Obscura and The Pastels) but, you know what? It's seeped into me. I had an absolute blast. Seeing Chorusgirl on Friday and then a bit of Suggested Friends' set on Saturday made me realise what a fantastic guitarist Faith Taylor is. Martha were as great always - I nearly didn't go to see them with Joyce Manor three weeks back as Indietracks was coming up but I'm glad I did. I started out down front but moved to the back to be with 3/4 of my family.

Others have said how good Pillow Queens were. I agree. They also had good patter between songs. Always a good thing. I spent most of my time in the loco shed. I much prefer watching bands indoors. I made an exception for The Pooches and Cola Jet Set. The latter I'd heard on the Indietracks compilation and thought I'd give them a go. They didn't disappoint. The Pooches I'd wanted to see for a long time and they were as good as I'd hoped them to be, despite the wasp apocalypse singer Jimmy (hope I've got that right) had to endure. I caught snatches of Teen Canteen and Peaness. Inside and outside. My previous exposure to TC was opening Indietracks a couple of years back and they seem to have muscled up since then. Peaness I've seen a couple of times before; the first supporting Sauna Youth at the Continental in Preston a couple of years ago when I thought they were going to be a garage band so was consequently disappointed when they weren't. The second, playing with Cowtown at a free gig in The Soup Kitchen in Manchester where it was clear they'd strengthened. It seems they've now gone up a level. I know there's a novelty to the name but I saw more of their bags and t-shirts post performance than any other band, so that's got to mean something.

I've just realised I've drifted into giving a critique into (almost) every band I saw. So, I'll cut it off by saying I loved Milky Wimpshake, Shopping, Onsind and Joanna Gruesome on Saturday and Suggested Friends and Personal Best on the Sunday, but the best time I had was watching Cowtown and the best moment was getting drenched at the end of The Just Joans set. It just felt right, even thought I was down to my Terry t-shirt at the time. (My coat was in a bag in the church).

Oh, and finally... Whoever was giving out Helen Love CDs at the camp site on Saturday morning, thank you. My youngest was given a couple and they're going to my friend, KP, as evidence of #themiracleofindietracks . Any other act's output wouldn't have worked, KP hearts Helen Love and to have randomly received a couple of her CDs will hopefully draw her to #themiracleofindietracks in future.

ian

Post by ian » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:41 pm

A wonderful year and line up that the weather couldn't ruin.

The runaway highlight for me was Cate Le Bon, who was incredible. I wasn't familiar with her music at all, but fell in love instantly - her voice, the intricate angular arrangements, the touches of psychedelia and folk and old fashioned awkward indie pop, the setting, the lighting, it being outdoors and the rain holding off. And the songs! Especially the one which unravelled like a music box busting a spring. I'm delighted to discover she has four solo albums to explore. The best show of the weekend and one of the best things I've ever seen at Indietracks.

Lots of other great performances too - The Understudies, The Orchids, Frankie Cosmos, The Just Joans, Joanna Gruesome, The Wedding Present, The Wave Pictures, loads more. Plus the amazing time machine disco by Katie and pals in the campsite disco tent on Sunday night. Dancing through time surrounded by the best people.

Another glorious year. Thank you Team Indietracks, thank you!

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:08 am

Nearly everything was great! Except for a Thousand Spiders of Death at the bus stop outside Butterley station. Sorry for leaving without saying goodbye – I was a bit poorly.

Peaness are just terrific aren’t they? I started off thinking they’re the missing link between Abba and Mikabomb but now I’ll have to add something else in there too, probably American. Belly or something. Also, the opportunity to keep saying things like “you like Peaness, don’t you” and “I’m certainly partial to a bit of Peaness”, which NEVER GETS BORING.

The children this year were of a very high quality. There were a lot of children, but certainly not at the expense of quality. Top breeding, indietrackers. High-quality children.

Travelodge party > Premier Inn party

Aw, the Orchids. The Orchids! They are, obviously, the best band ever; but as I was saying the other day, they’ve become something more than a band to me now. They’ve been with me so long that they’re one of those things – like my family, or Grimsby Town Football Club – that are part of what my life means. More importantly, though, they still sound bloody amazing and completely fresh and timeless.

My first ever Little Chef Olympic breakfast, this morning! Mushrooms a tad disappointing, potato slightly excessive, but absolute respect for the availability of fried bread. **** would trough again.

While we’re on the food theme, curry at the Sanam in Alfreton was excellent, and the pizza delivered from somewhere in Alfreton was, well, plentiful. Someone who’s good at maths and using pi will have to work out how much bigger a 16” square pizza is than a 16” diameter round pizza; suffice for now to say it was CHUFFING MASSIVE.

Special mention for the hilarious boy in the Conservative Party T-shirt on Saturday, who presumably loses his bet after nobody could be bothered to give him a slap.

The Just Joans, and the Validators, yay!

Lilith Ai. WOW.

Mammoth Penguins! Wow!

And on that note, in some ways Indietracks has started to show us what the future of indiepop looks like and how both the music and the community are evolving rather than standing still. One of the many things we are still accused of is a retrograde tendency – as if indiepop were something that happened between 1988 and 1994 and everything since has just been revisiting it. I think this happens partly just because of the durability of our community’s elder statespeople, but if you look around you see a mostly healthy awareness of indiepop’s heritage combining with new approaches to the music and a group of people that’s getting not just older but younger. It is a salutary thing to hear sounds like Lilith’s and ideas like Emma Kupa’s concept album, and to see how many awesome young people appear at Indietracks generally. Without wanting to be complacent (because more needs to happen), this is reassuring. I’m sleepy and this has probably come out wrong but you know what I mean, don’t you?

Thanks and love, as ever, to Team Indietracks and the Midland Railway Centre people. You continue to light up the world and we continue to think you're ace.

I’ll probably think of some more things later.

pierre-from-belgium

Post by pierre-from-belgium » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:18 am

The highlights for me were :

- The Wedding Present : I had never thought much of them since then but what a blast ! The guitars ! The melodies ! The Intensity ! D. Gedge's cynical sense of humour !
- Cate LeBon because her set was flawless, she's such a character, awesome charismatic personnality.
- Cowtown and Shopping because it's always great to ear and dance on bands different form the dreampop/twee scheme
- Euripides and his tragedies because the man is touching and hilarious, her bandmate Elise was lovely, and because it was one of the best decision of my life to take a seat in the church just before the showers
- Luby Sparks : nothing original there, but very refreshing and cute anyway
- Chorusgirl : Not fully convinced by all the new songs they played, but finishing with killer tracks like Shivers and This Town Kills made up !
- Mamoth Penguins : same as the Wedding Present, I thought I wouldn't like it, now all I can think about is that I need to get their new stuff as soon as possible. That was just phenomenal, intense and perfect.

Andf of course all the bits of conversation with anyone at the merch tent, the Midland Railway folks, the volunteers ...

Downsides : none, except the food a bit pricey for what we got maybe ? I tried two different 'double' veggie burgers but it was far from filling me up ...

Dan Pop-o-matic
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:22 am

Another fantastic year. How it keeps getting better I don't know.

Musical highlights:

The Just Joans - their new songs were great and hold up to the hits.
Luby Sparks - all of their songs proceed along exactly the lines you imagine they would but are no less thrilling for it
Cola Jet Set - Just what I needed on Saturday morning to wake me up
The Pooches - charming and jangly with some great songwriting
Rainbow Reservoir - rewired my brain circuitry with their glorious noise pop and left me kind of dazed for the rest of the day
The Hearing - melancholic Scandinavian synthpop is one of my favourite things
MJ Hibbett and the Validators - no, you were crying a bit
Maybe Don't - The spirit of Ace Bushy Striptease lives on
The Tuts - utterly triumphant and exhilarating set
Lilith Ai - incredibly moving and a breath of fresh air
All of the discos, but a shout out to the Just Joans chronological set on Sunday night

Non music

The food. I had one of every burger. Didn't even miss Gopals.
Owls
Being allowed to pet the sniffer dog
Lovely, lovely people

Minor gripes

Not being able to get into the church to watch Daniel vs the World or Baby Arms
Watching something not very good instead of Monkey Swallows The Universe, so missing them cover "You'll Never Be Lonely Again" by Slow Down Tallahassee. May have been a good thing because I would have been in bits.
The apocalyptic hangover I had on Saturday morning
The weather did get to me a bit on Sunday
The ale selection. I appreciate that my Sheffield palate is spoiled by the stunning variety of craft boozes on offer, but the selection of barely distinguishable pales did get a bit boring after a while. Didn't stop me drinking it obvs. People who prefer dark beer would have been disappointed (there only seemed to be one dark beer on at a time, which kept running out).

Major gripe

The massively unnecessary and over the top lighting in the indoor stage. My friend who suffers from frequent migraines basically had to avoid the indoor stage from the second to last band onwards each day, as she feared that being blasted in the face by flickering lasers would set off an episode. I found them uncomfortable (as did some other people I spoke to). I can only imagine how someone with epilepsy would have felt. There were no warning signs about the new lighting or anything.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:56 am

I had a blast, as ever.

Most of my musical highlights came early-ish each day (as I tended to work in the merch tent later on)

The Odd Box contingent (Rainbow Reservoir, Maybe Don't and Suggested Friends) were all amazing in their own way. Other highlights were the new paino pop direction of The Understudies, the sheer joy and ferocity of Schande (even witnessed via the church window), the sheer pop genius of Kid Canaveral and Chorusgirl on Friday night. Joanna Gruesome continue to evolve and I can't wait to see what the current line-up come up with when they release some new music! Dave C from The Wolfhiounds doing a cracking merch tent slot. The Wedding Present and Cate Le Bon both sounded superb from the merch tent (working, meant I was unable to get away and actually watch them!).

I missed Martha due to getting a very upset stomach as their set was about to start (boo).

This could well be my last Indietracks, as the new shop is increasingly taking over my life, and if it proves to be, it was a mighty fine one to go out on. The new team did a marvellous job and all their efforts are much appreciated!

I agree with Dan about the beer choice this year - think they need a craft beer evolution alongside their fine real ale offerings.

The food was decent - but I think they need an extra stall to get the queues down a bit and offer a bit more choice! The pizza was really good but the wait later in the day, less so!
not really here

brunser

Post by brunser » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:17 am

This was our first year at Indietracks. We have been to lots of festivals over the years which are more local to us, but we decided to travel to Indietracks this year based mainly on the lineup. We had a great time and will certainly return in the future!

Bands - The Wave Pictures, Martha, The Tuts, Grace Petrie, Peaness, Personal Best. All excellent.
Some of the stages are indoor which helps in bad weather - the second stage is big enough to host bands without getting too crowded when it does rain. The organisers also moved swiftly to shuffle bands about when the rain took hold (Martha etc on Friday & MSTU on Sunday).
The Main Stage slope is brilliant for viewing the bands from.
The site is small and safe. We've got fed up of drunken idiots over the years ruining festivals. Some of the festivals we've been to have also grown in size which means they've lost their intimate appeal - I'm glad to say that Indietracks seems like it's kept this alive.
Free parking at Butterley. Regular trains to and from the festival site.
Merch tent was excellent.
The price - £70-80 for 3 days of bands is good value.
All of the volunteers etc seem helpful and friendly.

Constructive criticism:
It would be useful to know the train times to and from Butterley station in advance. Maybe whoever made the posters that were stuck up at the station could also put them on the website/twitter/FB page?
I was happy with ale/cider, but my girlfriend would have liked a better selection of drinks like non-alcoholic ginger beer, a half of lager etc.
A few more vendors selling goods/food vans.

We didn't go into the Church or watch any sets on the train as it seemed that we would waste time queuing and therefore miss other bands - maybe we wouldn't have, but we were kind of put off a bit.

quimby

Post by quimby » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:37 pm

I am very glad I booked Tuesday off work. Fantastic weekend. There are photos; a lot of rubbish ones but I upload them anyway. https://www.flickr.com/photos/orqwith/a ... 6945226716

Two of my faves:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/orqwith/35912058520/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/orqwith/35460308223/

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:31 pm

humblebee wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:08 am

While we’re on the food theme, curry at the Sanam in Alfreton was excellent, and the pizza delivered from somewhere in Alfreton was, well, plentiful. Someone who’s good at maths and using pi will have to work out how much bigger a 16” square pizza is than a 16” diameter round pizza; suffice for now to say it was CHUFFING MASSIVE.
(roughly 20% bigger, in fact)
"I don't know who you're talking about..."

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:43 pm

It was great again as usual! I'm still completely exhausted now though...

Thank you so much to every one involved in organising/running it! <3 <3 <3

My highlights:

Monkey Swallows The Universe doing a Slow Down Tallahassee cover - very emotional but very lovely.

Cola Jet Set and Lucky Soul - I enjoyed them immensely. I've never seen or heard (other than the tracks on the compilation) either before even though they've both played indietracks before!

Bum Notes karaoke - can we have that again next year please?

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:57 pm

tonieee wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:43 pm
Sorry I missed that. I'm assuming you kicked ass?

Have to agree with Dan and Trev about the beer (sorry!). I find it quite hard work drinking those now. Ended up on the bottled beers this year. Would be great to see cans of Magic Rock or Vocation or stuff like that next year.
Last edited by humblebee on Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indiehorse

Post by indiehorse » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:03 pm

Silver Girl wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:31 pm
humblebee wrote:

I make it about 27.3% bigger. Am I getting my numbers muddled?

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:11 pm

humblebee wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:57 pm
tonieee wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:43 pm
Sorry I missed that. I'm assuming you kicked ass?
I won a selfie stick :-D

johnkell
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/johnkell

Post by johnkell » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:04 pm

Trev wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:56 am
The food was decent - but I think they need an extra stall to get the queues down a bit and offer a bit more choice! The pizza was really good but the wait later in the day, less so!
Glad to see people giving this feedback - I was thinking much the same. Hey Dhal's food was lovely, but once they'd stopped serving and the wait for the pizzas got very long, the choice later in the day suddenly became very limited. But maybe having more food vendors would make it uneconomical for them for this size of the crowd, I don't know about these things...

ruudboy
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/dalekvscat

Post by ruudboy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:14 pm

humblebee wrote:
Special mention for the hilarious boy in the Conservative Party T-shirt on Saturday, who presumably loses his bet after nobody could be bothered to give him a slap.
Yes, what was that all about? Was it just a straight up Tory Party t-shirt - I only saw him briefly, but I assumed it was something ironic.

My highlights:

Martha - they get better every time I see them. As well as the fantastic musical performance, this more than ever felt like a SHOW! - the glowsticks, the crowd surfing.

MJ Hibbert & The Validators - Indietracks wouldn't be Indietracks etc

Onsind in the #JervTent - nothing like a big crowd singing "Never Trust a Tory".

Joanna Gruesome - short, but very sweet.

The Just Joans - the new songs were instant hits.

Monkey Swallows The Universe - I somehow managed to miss them the first time round, so it was lovely to see them this time round

The Wave Pictures - Bamboo Diner in the Rain in, well, the rain was excellent.

Lilith Ai - I only saw the second half after getting there early for Mammoth Penguins, but what I saw was wonderful.

Mammoth Penguins - this was amazing. In the very best way.

nb - not being mentioned in the above list doesn't mean not being excellent.

Away from the bands, highlights included the paneer burger, the birds, the tin can crushing and of course, the amazing Sunday night campsite disco. (eta: And the annual trip down the line to look at the Alfreton Model Railway layout.) I think I genuinely love everyone who was in that tent.

tl;dr 10/10 well done Team Indietracks would Indietracks again!

sweepingthenation
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sweepingnation

Post by sweepingthenation » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:47 pm

The Tory T-shirt bloke was, I'm pretty sure, watching Onsind, so either it was ironic/for a bet, he was receiving a series of rude awakenings or he's a journalist about to publish a piece about how not being punched in the face all weekend proves all indie fans are secret Tories.

So... Martha stepped up to the headliner plate like it was no bother, and I love that nobody could have guessed their obligatory cover. Peaness did the thing I imagine we all thought they would and staked their claim as indiepop's next beloved thing - I know when they left they basically had two T-shirts left out of all the merch they brought with them. Shopping are such a great live band and Rachel a ball of energetic presence. The Tuts were showstealers in the moment, a band that go that extra mile for the big show is no bad thing. J-Gru, the Weddoes, Cate, Chorusgirl, Cowtown, Hibbett, Wave Pics, Crumbs, Just Joans (and the cosmic joke of the rain starting on their first note), Suggested Friends, Maybe Don't, the half of the Rainbow Reservoir set I got to see, people, atmosphere, dancing, railway employees, owls, crushing, all excellent.

Worst thing: didn't get to go exploring the site and get on the little train, again.

See what happened at Y-Not Festival about ten miles away? Ha ha!

indiehorse

Post by indiehorse » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:04 pm

Phew, I've just finished editing my photos and sticking them on Facebook, which is literally all I've been doing since I got back from the festival (It's a nice way to extend the festival for a couple of days. I recommend it).
I had as lovely a time as ever.

I'd forgotten that the Mammoth Penguins set was a playthough of their forthcoming concept album rather than a regular set. Let me tell you, reader, it was absolutely glorious.

Dancing to the likes of Shopping and Crumbs and Cowtown was much fun.

Getting wet for the Just Joans and the Wave Pictures was totally worth it and somehow fitting.

I didn't see a bad band all weekend and I feel like I saw at least a million bands.

You know what though, I think I'm done with camping. I'm not as young as I was in 2008.

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:31 am

indiehorse wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:03 pm
Silver Girl wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:31 pm

I make it about 27.3% bigger. Am I getting my numbers muddled?
arse - i'm getting 201/256 mixed up with 256/201 aren't I?
Either way - GET THE SQUARE ONE
"I don't know who you're talking about..."