Indietracks 2016 photos and memories

29-31 July 2016: "a collective adventure in generalized joy and freely interdependent exuberance"
humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Indietracks 2016 photos and memories

Post by humblebee » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:59 pm

The whole thing, obviously. Perfection. But in particular, just to begin with, I don't know if I'm ever going to get past that Deerful set. The whole world looks different because of 'Some Nights'. It's flipped a switch in my brain.

Doesyrheartgoboom
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Indietracks 2016 photos and memories

Post by Doesyrheartgoboom » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:55 pm

The Aislers Set. I will never recover. Ever. 'The Red Door' has broken me. And Darren Hayman just being lovely and wonderful. And Flowers being more fantastic than I could ever have thought possible. And Expert Alterations. And The Spook School. And the nice man in the merch tent who I got talking to about Frozy and Mecca Normal, and who told me about loads of other things I should listen to and now I cant remember any of them. And that's it. Apart from everything else.

Dan Pop-o-matic
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:24 pm

Music things:

Alimony Hustle and Songs For Walter were the highlights for me. The former tore the roof off the church while the latter seemed to transport the entire festival to another plane of existence. Plus Laurie SFW dedicated my favourite song of his to me.

Also amazing were:

Simon Love and the Old Romantics
Spook School (such a moving set)
Saint Etienne
Aislers Set
Red Sleeping Beauty
Expert Alterations
Sonic The Comic
David Leach in the merch tent
All the discos, but especially GRLTLK
Whoever I'm forgetting

Playing ham fisted ukulele and rudimentary bass and pressing a button on a tablet as Pete's "backing band" was fun too.

Non music things:

Round Faced Death Hooter owl
All the hugs I got
Olives on burgers
The three amazing sunsets and the double rainbow
Scoring a free Oddbox record
Making friends with one of the drug sniffing dogs

Lowlights:

Discovering that Fortuna Pop! are calling it a day
Not getting an Indietracks t-shirt
Not having a Gopals
Not getting on the train to see Gavin Osborne due to some arsehats pushing into the queue
The slightly terrifying and more credible than usual rumour that this might be the last one

duglasette

Post by duglasette » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:38 pm

Two white cranes
Songs for Walter
Lovely eggs
Comet Gain
Were my highlights. Also stopping off to star gaze in the peak district during the drive home on Saturday night was pretty special.

Sent from my Y635-L01 using Tapatalk

lloydybwoy

Post by lloydybwoy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:30 pm

That's in my top 3 Indietracks, without a doubt.

Highlights:

Deerful - only managed to sneak in to hear the last few songs but that was bloody worth it. Heavenly.
The Spook School - good God, after so much despair in 2016, to have them headlining felt like exactly the right response. I was in bits when they played Try To Be Hopeful. Feel like my throat's catching now just thinking about it.
Bearsuit! Bloody Bearsuit again! Doing Bearsuit songs!
Lorna - never heard (of) them before - how have I managed that? Really lovely
Emma Pollock - WHAT A VOICE.
Haiku Salut - I still don't know how they make that music onstage.
St Etienne - mainly because they played Hobart Paving. Swoon.
The can crusher!

Lowlights:

Not seeing the first half of the Deerful set.
Technical gremlins in the Don't Falter DJ shenanigans.
Our friends Gem and Stuart finding a man asleep in their tent having pissed himself...
Being disappointed that those balloons weren't for a 10th Birthday celebration.
The Fortuna Pop! news.

Overall though. Wow. Just wow.

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:05 pm

Best bits: all the bands but especially Chrissy Barnacle and Deerful, Gopals curry seemed even better this year which I didn't think was possible, the dancing, the people, everything!

We are so lucky to have had this amazing thing for the last ten years thanks to the wonderful team indietracks and Midland Railway staff. Even if it doesn't continue we have been blessed with something so great in our lives. Thank you to everyone involved for this source of absolute joy and I hope we do get to do it all again next year ♡♡♡.

ShaunBrilldream

Post by ShaunBrilldream » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:43 pm

2016-Year of the balloons.

I missed last years because of my nephew being due on indietracks sunday. He was late as well the little bugger. He's one today so we can let him off. Happy Birthday Teddy.

Firstly, huge thanks to all the organisers and volunteers for being so ace and putting it all on. It must be insanely hard work. Thanks also to the campsite staff who were all mega lovely and probably don't get enough props. Ta.

I'll start with the lowlights as there are only a couple-

* Missing the Scared to Dance disco. We had a good excuse, but it was a shame to miss it.
* Fortuna Pop calling it a day.
* Seeing those blue and yellow Lovely Eggs scarves and thinking they were Shrewsbury Town scarves. The first time was quite funny but after the 124th double take it's a bit much.

Highlights

* Getting to play the marquee disco (I gush quite a bit about that here : http://www.facebook.com/JustLikeHoneyShrewsbury/
* The Aislers Set. I had to keep pinching myself that it was actually them and it was real
* The Spooks-I was so proud of them and went a bit wobbly during Try and Be Hopeful
* Lovely Eggs with the brilliant balloons.
* Maggie 8
* Lorna
* Flowers being jaw dropping
* All the discos
* The owls v crusher attention off (Crusher takes it for me)
* People waving at the trains. Maybe it's because it's been such a shit year but I found it almost overwhelmingly touching.
* The weather
* Someone putting up an EU flag up at the Sunday campsite disco and everyone dancing around it like a talisman.
* The buckfast tradition remaining strong
* Watching John Peel Dave take a running boot at a beach ball. Made my afternoon that.
* It's the End of the World by REM being a popular choice at the discos, rather fittingly.

The real highlight I think was the Lovely Eggs speech about DIY indiepop culture, and meeting loads of over people who put pop nights on and them being really, really lovely, ace and inspiring. It's not a perfect scene by any stretch, but I still love it.

If you're reading this and you felt inspired this weekend and fancy forming a band or doing a night or doing a zine or making a film or writing a book or putting on shows or running a label then please please just fucking do it. You'll be amazed how daydreams can come true.

And we just can't wait to make more mistakes and to fluff our breaks, and to stuff our faces with cake.

The FinchleyTed fanclub.

smigs
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Smigs

Post by smigs » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:57 pm

Highlights:
- Sonic the Comic, a great performance from people who were very jetlagged :)
- Alimony Hustle. I knew they'd be good, but they just blew me away.
- Chrissy Barnacle, just so much fun, that anecdote about the octopus may haunt me for some time.
- All the above performances were in the church and for once it was actually an okay temperature!
- Being approached by a stranger in the merch tent who thanked me for editing the Clashfinder(!!!). I guess the moustache makes me rather recognisable..
- Dancing to Grimes at the campsite disco on Sunday. Even if there were only two of us dancing!

Lowlights:
- The dust in the marquee on Sunday night. Got a nice coating of it, clung to my hair and everything else!
- Having to run out on Charla Fantasma's set to see Alimony Hustle. Hopefully I can catch them again soonish!
- I didn't drink any Buckfast this year.
- Forgetting to wash all my favourite band t-shirts after Tramlines the week before and having to wear a different set.

ian

Post by ian » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:05 pm

ShaunBrilldream wrote: If you're reading this and you felt inspired this weekend and fancy forming a band or doing a night or doing a zine or making a film or writing a book or putting on shows or running a label then please please just fucking do it. You'll be amazed how daydreams can come true.
This this 100% this!

What a wonderful year, my favourite Indietracks of all I think. It seemed to be the Indietracks when everything clicked - the weather was just right, so many great bands, and it felt like everyone was in the best mood. Maybe it was just the sky - the sky looked amazing, and everyone took their cue from that!

Highlights:

White Town on the train. I knew it would be great, but it was unexpectedly wonderful. A really lovely atmosphere, Jyoti and the band were perfect, and the whistling in "Your Woman" was lovely - one of those shared moments that makes Indietracks what it is.
Saint Etienne and the balloons. The balloons! Such a simple thing but they spread so much joy.
The Aislers Set. I last saw The Aislers Set in 2003 supported by Comet Gain. Last night was the same again, and glorious. Such a fantastic band...but did I blink and miss it or did they not do "Fairnt Chairnt"? My favourite AS song and in my head the big big hit. I assumed it was a shoe-in for the set list....did I dream my way through it? It's possible, it was a dreamy set.
Haiku Salut. Oh oh oh. Right band, right time of day, the sky, the new songs, so wonderful.
Comet Gain, even though the sound was a little fuzzy where we were standing in the shed, but still..."You Can Hide Your Love Forever" is a classic, and the songs from "Howl Of The Lonely Crowd" sounded especially powerful. No "The Last Love Letters" - unless I dreamed through that too - but a great set nonetheless.

Lowlights:

I can't think of any. I had the best time. You lot are lovely.

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:46 am

Another fantastic year. I didn't really click with a lot of the music this year for some reason but the weather and general atmosphere was so great that it didn't really matter.

It was great to finally see two Birmingham bands I've been meaning to see forever (Falling & Laughing and Sonic The Comic) and they were both LOUD and good. Frankie Machine was great on the train and Girl Ray were a really nice surprise. All the food I ate was delicious and everyone I ran into was a delight.

Even though I left early, slept at home and barely drank, I still feel like a complete wreck now, two days later. I've added one of Jo Dale's Indietracks / Martha coasters to my work desk to remind me of good times!

Thank to Team Indietracks for 10 years of joy. I've been to nine of these now and I never want to stop.

Cloudy Cat

Post by Cloudy Cat » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:58 am

Get the only gripe out the way first. As Pete Green wrote, "no danger of hearing Catfish....." but there is a danger of hearing Drake. Why a DJ at Indietracks, if he's read the programme notes, should play Drake at one of the discos in the shed puzzles me. I hear that "popular" music in every shop I wander into, I don't want to hear it at Indietracks, I want to hear the Unheard Music as X put it many years ago.

Highlights:
Sean's dj set. Ain't You by Kleenex, my limbs had spasms that sort of developed into dancing. If it wasn't for the sandstorm I'd have stayed in Sean's vicinity all night.

Perhaps not a vintage year musically but book-ended by two great bands Spook School and Aislers Set. Also loved Expert Alterations, Lovely Eggs, Seazoo, Boys Forever, Nervous Twitch, Comet Gain, Vacaciones and Trust Fund.

People: When I first came to Indietracks in 2009 I knew nobody and now I have a collection of lovely friends which seems to grow every year. That's as important as the music.

The owls. That bark-faced one, I love him or her.

Lowlights : Regretfully never made into the church for about the third year running. Not seeing Gavin Osborn on the train. I bought his record anyway.

It being over, all so soon.

Finally want to thank all the organisers who work so tirelessly to give me my favourite weekend of the year. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. When it's all over there's a little crack in my heart which heals over when Indietracks begins all over again the following year. Might even wear a skirt next year.

BenIgma

Post by BenIgma » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:03 am

humblebee wrote:The whole thing, obviously. Perfection. But in particular, just to begin with, I don't know if I'm ever going to get past that Deerful set. The whole world looks different because of 'Some Nights'. It's flipped a switch in my brain.

The only big disappointment of the whole weekend, I wasn't able to get into the church to see her set.

lloydybwoy

Post by lloydybwoy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:42 am

Cloudy Cat wrote:Get the only gripe out the way first. As Pete Green wrote, "no danger of hearing Catfish....." but there is a danger of hearing Drake. Why a DJ at Indietracks, if he's read the programme notes, should play Drake at one of the discos in the shed puzzles me. I hear that "popular" music in every shop I wander into, I don't want to hear it at Indietracks, I want to hear the Unheard Music as X put it many years ago.
That was Richard and Laura TMB who were responsible for that little nugget I believe (bloody kids) - I'll leave it up to them to explain, at some point... having said that, throughout my set I was constantly harangued by a bloke to play the Wu-Tang Clan (and not the Hayman song), and a very drunk woman burst through to the decks to shout at me at length for not having any Missy Elliot or Tiger (not Tender) Trap. So make of that what you will. FWIW, I'd personally rather we had a *slightly* more directed approach to what gets played at Don't Falter, but we're a big collective and we want to be as democratic as possible, and that means that each DJ is free to mix in whatever they think works outside of the roughly indie-pop shaped holes our pegs expect. Not my personal choice but hey.

I wouldn't even know what Drake sounded like TBH.

BenIgma

Post by BenIgma » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:00 am

My 3rd Indietracks, and definitely the best.

The highlights: can't pick one, it was all one big highlight.
The lowlights: just two, the Saturday morning hangover, and not being able to get in to see Deerful's set, especially hearing about how brilliant it was, but then I did get to see Lisa Bouvier in the merch tent which was an unexpected treat.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:04 am

That was fun!

Music for me was a bit brief this year (too much merch stall working) but what I saw was great Nervous Twitch / The Spook School / Falling and Laughing / Flowers / City Yelps / Witching Waves / The Just Joans (in the merch tent) / Wolf Girl doing a wee acoustic set too / Humousexual.....

Sad to only caught The Aislers Set from afar whilst working the merch stand.....
not really here

SisterRay

Post by SisterRay » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:06 am

Another great Indietracks.

The coolest bits: The Spook School!, Chrissy Barnacle!, Trust Fund!, Comet Gain!, Flowers!, The Aislers Set!, The owls!, The Tea Time Collective burgers! (all of them), The weather!

The slightly less cool bits: Realizing the ice cream is also vegan too late, and missing out on the oreo ice cream :(, the sound being somewhat less than great on the indoor stage in places :/, probably stepping on a couple of huge snails on the way to bed on friday night :o. Missing The Just Joans @ the merch tent :(
Last edited by SisterRay on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cloudy Cat

Post by Cloudy Cat » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:06 am

lloydybwoy wrote:
Cloudy Cat wrote:Get the only gripe out the way first. As Pete Green wrote, "no danger of hearing Catfish....." but there is a danger of hearing Drake. Why a DJ at Indietracks, if he's read the programme notes, should play Drake at one of the discos in the shed puzzles me. I hear that "popular" music in every shop I wander into, I don't want to hear it at Indietracks, I want to hear the Unheard Music as X put it many years ago.
That was Richard and Laura TMB who were responsible for that little nugget I believe (bloody kids) - I'll leave it up to them to explain, at some point... having said that, throughout my set I was constantly harangued by a bloke to play the Wu-Tang Clan (and not the Hayman song), and a very drunk woman burst through to the decks to shout at me at length for not having any Missy Elliot or Tiger (not Tender) Trap. So make of that what you will. FWIW, I'd personally rather we had a *slightly* more directed approach to what gets played at Don't Falter, but we're a big collective and we want to be as democratic as possible, and that means that each DJ is free to mix in whatever they think works outside of the roughly indie-pop shaped holes our pegs expect. Not my personal choice but hey.

I wouldn't even know what Drake sounded like TBH.
I didn't either but I thought "what's this, have Martha gone all Urban?" It was the wife, who's got a tolerance for these things, that enlightened me.

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:34 am

That's a +1 from me about the vegan burgers - bloody outstanding. Well, not bloody, I guess.

ShaunBrilldream

Post by ShaunBrilldream » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:42 am

That was Richard and Laura TMB who were responsible for that little nugget I believe (bloody kids) - I'll leave it up to them to explain, at some point... having said that, throughout my set I was constantly harangued by a bloke to play the Wu-Tang Clan (and not the Hayman song), and a very drunk woman burst through to the decks to shout at me at length for not having any Missy Elliot or Tiger (not Tender) Trap. So make of that what you will.
I got asked for Beyonce, which we didn't have, but that probably says more about our night than the collective musical taste of Indietracks. We did play Icona Pop because I love that record and love to dance to it. Drake would have probably gone down better in the campsite disco, where there is a bit more of an anything goes approach. I even found myself dancing to Dire Straits, but don't tell anyone.

It's a tricky one this. Without wishing to sound too Student Grant, maybe it's a bit worrying that someone paying working class urban black music caused such a hoo haw. I wouldn't dance to Drake personally because I'm a 39 year old man and find the current top 20 confusing and frightening.

The Don't Falter disco was brilliant by the way. I really enjoyed myself.
And we just can't wait to make more mistakes and to fluff our breaks, and to stuff our faces with cake.

The FinchleyTed fanclub.