exercise

like, y'know, crafty stuff, exercise, walking, gardening...
islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Re: exercise

Post by islandhopper » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:14 pm

let it ride wrote: so are these animated or actual people who've recorded a programme for you to follow?
They're animated.
alongwalkhome wrote: I did all of 13 minutes of (pathetic) "strength training" on the wii fit Sunday and my legs and stomach are in so much pain still that I have to take the elevator down two floors at work. I'll be really annoyed if they give me the male instructor. I'm not crazy about ol' tennis-ball boobs (the lady) but anything's better than that jock.
I've just realised of course that our instructors will have different accents. It's hard to sound like a jock when speaking in an English accent. He's still a twat though. I don't understand what was going on. I always have the woman, but he just came on yesterday and said "I hope you don't mind, but I'll be taking you for this lesson today". Well, yes I do actually - I want "ol' tennis-ball boobs" back. She must have one hell of a sports bra because those tennis-ball boobs are solid as a rock, no matter what position she's in.

RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Post by RITH » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:39 am

let it ride wrote:i think it's a childhood thing but i am naturally kind of afraid of people who play sports.
Both my parents are (were) highschool sport teachers. Lucky me they are not at all fanatics, but the lesson I've learned from day 1 was: sport is good and fun. They must be disappointed that I'm doing absolutely NOTHING right now.

I'm afraid of jock types too.

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:50 am

i bought a pair of jogging bottoms the other day - haven't owned any since i was about 9. It's basically so i can't use "hmm, it's cold though" as an excuse to not walk to the gym.

Ah well...
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

Tom Mascot
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/da_Cyborg

Post by Tom Mascot » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:37 pm

Exercise is overrated. I played football today which helped my physical fitness, but my morale took a battering in a 10-0 defeat. The hangover merely confounded the issue further.

Caroline74

Post by Caroline74 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:19 pm

i went to a spin class tonight! Holy shit I'm a mess! Could stand afterwards, my legs nearly gave way and to top it all off my arse is saddle sore! I'm dreading waking up tomorrow.
Are there any other Spin class goers here to keep me going! Will i get butts of steel, thighs to die for and thinner calfs? (sp?)

String Bean Jen
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/

Post by String Bean Jen » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Caroline74 wrote:i went to a spin class tonight! Holy shit I'm a mess! Could stand afterwards, my legs nearly gave way and to top it all off my arse is saddle sore! I'm dreading waking up tomorrow.
Are there any other Spin class goers here to keep me going! Will i get butts of steel, thighs to die for and thinner calfs? (sp?)
Isn't spinning essentially just cycling but super fast and indoors? If so, I can probably give an affirmative answer to the 'butts of steel' and 'thighs to die for' query. Thinner calves I'm not so sure of, though.
There's more than one use for every part

Caroline74

Post by Caroline74 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:17 pm

Yep! You cycle like crazy for an hour.
I'm happy about prospect of good thighs and butt of steel.
Any ideas on how to make my calves and ankles thinner or am i doomed to trousers for ever!!!!

let it ride
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by let it ride » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:50 pm

I tend to stay clear of the spinning bike/stationary bike in the gym, as I just feel like I've cheated when I've used it. I prefer running on a treadmill to that. Also it brings back memories of a horrific, butt-numbing bicycle trip I took the summer when I was 15 with my mum, her friend and the friend's son. We did 60K a day, at least, and I was just DYING.
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

Outcognito

Post by Outcognito » Fri May 01, 2009 11:52 pm

I'm trying to talk myself into doing more CV work on a regular basis. I'm just getting back into the weights and fitness programme, which includes a stretch on the running machine or cross trainer but it's always a chore to include it and I find myself heading off early to the steam room.
It's so easy when the door is wide open.

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Sat May 02, 2009 12:02 am

I used to hate the treadmill, but now it, and running outside, are my favourite parts of my workouts! I'd say make sure you have great running music and headphones to start off with. I find nothing duller and more monotonous than when I have nothing to run to.

Also, interval running is more fun (to me) and shows more results for me than jogging (and no, I can't just do 10K runs like the others on anorak!), so maybe that'll make it more exciting? I find it gives me something to focus on (rather than counting down the minutes until I'm done).

Outcognito

Post by Outcognito » Sat May 02, 2009 12:53 am

Ah thanks! I've never listened to music whilst running (apart form a flirtation with a minidisc some years ago), so maybe it would be an incentive to get started! What is interval running? I used to try to do 10 minutes on the treadmill, 10 on the crosstrainer and 10 on the rowing machine just to break things up a little but I found it hard to stick to the regime.
let it ride wrote:I used to hate the treadmill, but now it, and running outside, are my favourite parts of my workouts! I'd say make sure you have great running music and headphones to start off with. I find nothing duller and more monotonous than when I have nothing to run to.

Also, interval running is more fun (to me) and shows more results for me than jogging (and no, I can't just do 10K runs like the others on anorak!), so maybe that'll make it more exciting? I find it gives me something to focus on (rather than counting down the minutes until I'm done).

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Sat May 02, 2009 11:16 am

Outcognito wrote:Ah thanks! I've never listened to music whilst running (apart form a flirtation with a minidisc some years ago), so maybe it would be an incentive to get started! What is interval running? I used to try to do 10 minutes on the treadmill, 10 on the crosstrainer and 10 on the rowing machine just to break things up a little but I found it hard to stick to the regime.
let it ride wrote:I used to hate the treadmill, but now it, and running outside, are my favourite parts of my workouts! I'd say make sure you have great running music and headphones to start off with. I find nothing duller and more monotonous than when I have nothing to run to.

Exercise without in-ear headphones blocking out all other sounds is the worst! I really recommend it, just make a massive playlist of everything and anything you have that might be motivational/cheerful/get you in a dancing or moving kind of mood. Stick it on shuffle and off you go!

I do interval running as in say, 3,5 minutes running, 90 seconds rest x 6 when I'm on the treadmill, when I'm outside I measure it in silly things like ten of the distances between lamp posts, and then five lamp post distance rest, if that makes sense. But I'm very unprofessional! It always gets my heartbeat up though, and when I break it up like that I can always go for much longer too!

I've just been out for a Saturday morning run and it feels SO good - now I can relax until Monday, hurrah!

Outcognito

Post by Outcognito » Sat May 02, 2009 12:03 pm

let it ride wrote:Exercise without in-ear headphones blocking out all other sounds is the worst! I really recommend it, just make a massive playlist of everything and anything you have that might be motivational/cheerful/get you in a dancing or moving kind of mood. Stick it on shuffle and off you go!
That sounds like something to try!

let it ride wrote:I do interval running as in say, 3,5 minutes running, 90 seconds rest x 6 when I'm on the treadmill, when I'm outside I measure it in silly things like ten of the distances between lamp posts, and then five lamp post distance rest, if that makes sense. But I'm very unprofessional! It always gets my heartbeat up though, and when I break it up like that I can always go for much longer too!
Ah! It sounds a similar thing to lifting weights. Instead of counting the 12 reps or whatever, i count a 6 and two threes, to try to trick the mind into thinking there's not many more to do now!
let it ride wrote:'ve just been out for a Saturday morning run and it feels SO good - now I can relax until Monday, hurrah!
Great stuff! That IS dedication! :)

obo-bobolina

Post by obo-bobolina » Tue May 05, 2009 3:11 pm

I'm all about interval running. Sometimes I do 12 to 15 repeats of one minute super fast (for me - I'm talking about 13km/hr) then one minute recovery (6.5km/hr) othertimes I do something like 0.8km fast (11.5km/hr) 0.2km recovery (6.5km/hr). Outdoors I don't have set times or distances really but I can never just run. It kills me. I need the occassional minute or so fast walk to catch my breath and then I'm all set to speed up again for however long I can go until I feel the urge to rest again. I guess that means I'm not really a runner. But I don't really care. I enjoy my jog/walk intervals.
Give over.

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Tue May 05, 2009 9:16 pm

Same here, Hannah!

I love being in the gym for controlling it so much, somehow it feels as if I can do it more when I know I have a set speed to keep up with, than make myself run that quickly.

My running interval tends to be at 11.5 - 13 km/h (I vary it a bit throughout), my ideal 'run for a longer time' was set at 9.5 km/h by my trainer but I like a bit faster. My rest speed for a minute or two tend to go (and I am being honest here!) between 5 km/h - 6.7 km/h. I do have very long legs and I feel quite awkward sometimes when I run, but once I get up to about 11.5 km/h, my body just adjusts really well. It's strange, it is as if it is not me controlling it anymore! I get 'Terminator arms' and I feel like some sort of superhero. Hahaha, I bet it looks ridiculous but I love it!

I do worry outside, when I run on the pavement (yes I know I shouldn't but I prefer that to park/soil/grass) it is so uneven, about falling or stumbling.

I have decided on a new way of thinking with diet/exercise. I am allowed chocolate if I really want it (but I try to keep it to one day a week) but I have to stick with good portions of my normal food, and exercise at least three times a week. I find when I am working out a lot, I am less inclined to eat junk food anyway. The exercise is where it all starts for me in terms of motivation.

What do you guys combine for your all-over workout?

Right now I do:
Runs in the park (one or two times a week, weather allowing)
Programme at the gym (tons of weight machines + 30 - 40 minutes on the treadmill of interval running)

I am planning on getting better at yoga, but Jonny's sister who's great at it has promised to show me a bit. I'm scared of classes, I feel like an old creaky person when I do it just on my own, the thought of a room of lithe yoga goddesses and myself freak me out.

cupcake_love
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/allishollow

Post by cupcake_love » Tue May 05, 2009 9:45 pm

i am also one of those spin goers, but i haven't gone for a while though. have had so many excuses lately. that and the fact that i always feel stupid for being one of those that can't really make it, and have to rest when the others are still going. i like it though.

i wish we had any good parks in the area, i think i would like to try to run. i like the thought of running with housemartins and jack penate in my ears, yeah.
dont fall in love if you want to die in peace

stolenwine
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/

Post by stolenwine » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:46 pm

so, has anyone got good results just from doing wii fit muscle and yoga exercises? it's kinda annoying how it's a bit stilted and you have to keep going back to the main menu to select the next workout. i wish it all just flowed like a normal yoga workout! i'm just thinking maybe a video workout would be a better bet. i don't know. should i just get a video? i mainly want to work on my arms and bum so if anyone has any recommendations for videos or exercises i'd love to know what they are!

i do feel SO MUCH better after i exercise and it feels good that i'm starting it again and doing something about stuff i hate about myself, instead of just moaning about it. even if i could just go back to what i was like 2 years ago i'd be happy enough with that! i'm starting off with 30 minutes everyday and maybe an hour on weekends. hopefully i'll keep it up!

my wii instructor snapped at me because he thought i was taking a break when i was adjusting my yoga mat. ha! "your muscles aren't gonna work out by themselves!".
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

yubo

Post by yubo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:33 am

stolenwine wrote:so, has anyone got good results just from doing wii fit muscle and yoga exercises?
the first week I had my friend's wii fit, my thighs got all sore from trying to beat his high scores in all the ski events. But I was on it non-stop.

and I got a sore butt once from the lunges, but I hadn't done lunges in a long time (ever).

Even though I barely use mine anymore, I'm a firm believer of the Wii Fit.
Butt.

stolenwine
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/

Post by stolenwine » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:29 pm

thanks, yubo! well, my thighs/legs are really sore so i guess it's working, but my arms and butt are not sore yet! maybe in the next couple of days though. i've never wished for a sore butt as much as i'm wishing for one right now.

it actually pains me that i'll never have the same figure as eva longoria, but it's still a good motivator to aim for something even a teeny tiny bit like that. i hate to admit that on the public internet but there you go.
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:01 pm

oh, everyone has their ideals, i'm sure. celebs you kind of relate to for some reason, that you like the look of. mine's mandy moore! don't feel embarrassed about having one, i think it's pretty common.

i use five different arm machines at the gym, but they're not anything you couldn't do at home with dumbbells. i like using the machines where you can vary the weights though, as obviously, you improve. i do 3 sets of 6 reps with heavier weights (but a lot of people like to do more reps, lower weights. my trainer dude told me i couldn't bulk up though, unless i had a bodybuilder lifestyle, haha!)

i'm still sore from sunday's gym workout (my arms and shoulders are KILLING me!) but i'm going tomorrow again which feels good. i'm on my own personal boot camp schedule now until wedding/honeymoon.

the weight machine movements i make for arms/shoulders are:

-arms along the body, curl up with weights all the way up, slowly release on the way down
-with arms curled up and weights/dumbbells at shoulder height, slowly lower them down and bring back up again
-upper arms aligned with shoulders, out to the sides, under arms up. bring arms to the middle until they meet, holding the dumbbells. slowly bring back out again.
-same pose with arms held up with dumbbells. lift arms upwards and cross where the arms meet, so you're doing sort of an X shape when you're fully extended. slowly release back down again.
-this last one, i'm not sure you can do at home. it's one of those bars, that you pull down to your chest and then slowly release again. maybe with a rubber band or something?

i have no idea if this makes any sense. i'm sorry if it doesn't for making you read all of that, haha!