Android

PCs, laptops, macs, mp3 players, consoles, peripherals
tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Re: Android

Post by tonieee » Tue Aug 10, 2010 09:12

Does anyone understand bluetooth? I want to use it to transfer all my numbers across from my old phone to the new one but when I select "send via bluetooth" from my old phone my new one doesn't appear in the list of devices even though it does from the bluetooth menu. Or is there another easy way? I can't do it via the SIM card which is how I've done it in the past because I've got more than one number assigned to a name and when I copy to the SIM card it only copies the first number.

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Tue Aug 10, 2010 09:21

I have never got anywhere remotely near understanding bluetooth. Sorry. It frightens me.

caramarydaisy
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by caramarydaisy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 09:33

tonieee is yr bluetooth definitely switched on? i think it tends to be off as default, or mine certainly is.

i dont know loads about these things either to be honest.. ive never used it on mine.

mobile phone number back ups is an interesting one tho. i am continually trying to get my head around the best way to do this - i think at the moment i have a program with my phone that i can synch up my numbers with so if anything happens to my phone i can reinstall them onto it, but presumably that limits me to only being able to do it with a sony ericsson??

hmmm.
i said OK! the wind said no

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:07

caramarydaisy wrote:tonieee is yr bluetooth definitely switched on? i think it tends to be off as default, or mine certainly is.

i dont know loads about these things either to be honest.. ive never used it on mine.

mobile phone number back ups is an interesting one tho. i am continually trying to get my head around the best way to do this - i think at the moment i have a program with my phone that i can synch up my numbers with so if anything happens to my phone i can reinstall them onto it, but presumably that limits me to only being able to do it with a sony ericsson??

hmmm.
Definitely on. Both say they're paired with each other (whatever that means!) but not available from the transfer contacts screen.

My new phone is a Sony Ericsson and has that unfortunately my other phone is a Samsung and doesn't have internet access! Plus I'm too paranoid to send all my contacts via a third party...

I've got most of my phone numbers/addresses stored in vcard format on my computer which is a standard for storing them and most computer-based address book programs understand it but I've never found a way of transferring them to/from a phone. Which is daft really cos I'm sure it'd be dead simple.

Part of the point of me getting an Android is that I should be able to fix these annoying simple problems myself so maybe I'll write an 'app' to do it. Of course I'll never have the time to do any of it!

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Aug 10, 2010 16:55

I've tried to download my first 'app' (Google Sky Map). I started it going at lunch time and it still says "Starting download..." - that's not right is it?

SophieC
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jamiec

Post by SophieC » Tue Aug 10, 2010 17:02

oh tonieeeeeeee. have you got 3G / wireless reception at all? i get that when i'm in my office insulated by it's many layers of asbestos.

can you write me an indiepop gig tracker app please tonieeeeeeeeeeeee?

i can't believe i talk about apps now. sigh.
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People's Stick.'

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Aug 10, 2010 17:17

JamieC wrote:oh tonieeeeeeee. have you got 3G / wireless reception at all? i get that when i'm in my office insulated by it's many layers of asbestos.
I'm using my home wi-fi connection. It does keep cutting out though cos I'm upstairs on my work computer and the wi-fi reception here's not great. It seems to have been fine for a couple of hours though... I'll put it nice to the wireless thingy later and see if that makes it better.
JamieC wrote:can you write me an indiepop gig tracker app please tonieeeeeeeeeeeee?
I would love to but you'd probably need to pay me enough money so I could give up my rubbish job first...
JamieC wrote:i can't believe i talk about apps now. sigh.
I'm going to stop calling them apps now anyway. They're programs or software.

SophieC
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jamiec

Post by SophieC » Tue Aug 10, 2010 17:23

"softs" or "progs". got you.
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People's Stick.'

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Aug 10, 2010 21:10

I got the downloading to work by turning it off and on again!

Anybody got any recommendations for any good progs?

I tried to install the last.fm one but it wanted access to loads of stuff like my contacts and stuff which I can't see why it should need to so I didn't bother. I also tried a few games and other things but they all wanted full internet access so I didn't do those either.

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Tue Aug 10, 2010 21:49

a lot of the free stuff is ad-supported, which is why they ask for internet access (they're mostly quite unobtrusive).

I like these...

GAMES
Word Drop and Word Up (boggle-style word-finding games)
Trap (like Qix with a touchscreen twist)

MUSIC STUFF
Electrum Drum II (drum machine)
Rehearsal Assistant (sound recorder that can record to uncompressed wavs)
Chordbot Lite (chord patten sequencer thing)
Ethereal Dialpad (cool theremin-style noise maker)

OTHER STUFF
Google Translate (it does text to speech!)
Dolphin Browser (seems much nicer than the built in one to me)
Vignette (does that retro photo thing really well, not free but cheap)
Photoshop.com Mobile (really clever, good for adjusting the contrast on photos)
RealCalc (scientific calculator)

I'm also enjoying the Swype replacement keyboard thing although I'm not sure if that's available at the moment (I signed up for the beta).

Your Funny Uncle

Post by Your Funny Uncle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 22:25

Today I upgraded my Desire to Froyo. Ooo-er!

tompony

Post by tompony » Fri Aug 13, 2010 09:04

Here's another recommendation - a free game called ALCHEMY.

You start with Earth, Air, Fire and Water, and by mixing together various combinations of things, you form other things. The other things can then be combined with each other to form others and so on. The only goal is to try to find all of the items (270 at present) but it's really addictive!

I particularly like the humour in some of the combinations, for example combining two 'ash' items creates two 'dust', and vice versa!

Also try combining 'forest' and 'ghost' - that made me smile!

Final Loan

Post by Final Loan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:15

AAAAAAAAAARRRGGHHH!!!

My phone is playing silly buggers. No idea if it's the phone or the network or what, but it's refusing to connect to t'interwebs. Keeps saying it's turning on the mobile network but not actually turning it on. It's been playing up since I left work yesterday and it's really pissing me off.

(I had no idea I'd get so attached to using the 'net from my phone...)
I may be ugly and hate-filled but... wait, what was the third thing you said?

Pockets Filled With Matches are no more, but we still have copies of our e.p. 'If Time Heals You' for sale, if you'd like one

Your Funny Uncle

Post by Your Funny Uncle » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:42

Final Loan wrote:AAAAAAAAAARRRGGHHH!!!

My phone is playing silly buggers. No idea if it's the phone or the network or what, but it's refusing to connect to t'interwebs. Keeps saying it's turning on the mobile network but not actually turning it on. It's been playing up since I left work yesterday and it's really pissing me off.

Have you recently upgraded the system software? When I updated my Desire last week it messed up the settings and the internet stopped working.I had to go into settings>wireless & networks>Mobile networks>Access Point Names and select my network. Now it works again.

annie
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/andyandannie

Post by annie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:48

i just got an htc desire. it is ace, so far. i'm still getting used to typing on a touch screen though, it feels a bit weird at the moment.

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Thu Aug 19, 2010 13:11

I still like my posh phone but trying to write a text on a touch screen while you're walking is a right bastard.

Final Loan

Post by Final Loan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 15:27

Your Funny Uncle wrote:
Final Loan wrote:AAAAAAAAAARRRGGHHH!!!

Have you recently upgraded the system software? When I updated my Desire last week it messed up the settings and the internet stopped working.I had to go into settings>wireless & networks>Mobile networks>Access Point Names and select my network. Now it works again.
I haven't... yet.

But I popped into the Orange shop in town and the guy behind the counter assured me that it's not my phone (and he didn't know when Froyo was coming out for Orange locked handsets) and that it is, in fact, Orange's 3G network that's fucked at the moment. In both the North-West and the North-East (and Sheffield, for some reason, comes under the North-West).
I may be ugly and hate-filled but... wait, what was the third thing you said?

Pockets Filled With Matches are no more, but we still have copies of our e.p. 'If Time Heals You' for sale, if you'd like one

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:17

I've been seriously thinking about an Android mainly for mobile internet and a useful camera. I use a Touch at home all the time and love it, but have seriously fallen out of love with Apple for various reasons - nice kit and all, but I'm loathe to give JObs any more of my money

Thing is when I last had a phone (just a bog standard one with no frills), I rarely used it. I had it on pay as you go. Put twenty quid on it and 11 months later when it died I still had a fiver credit on it - I only used it really so that Paula could get in touch if she needed to. So a contract makes no sense for me. But looking at Android phones it raises a few questions:

1) on Pay as you Go deals, are there any won't rip a hole in my wallet for mobile internet specifically?

2) what's to stop you using skype to landline for phone calls - that way it's something like 1.5p a minute rather than stuipd pence a minute for calls. Do they stop you doing this? I know there is a Skype app for Android, so I know it's technically okay just wondering if the phone providers block it somehow or have worked out a way to stitch you up on it.

3) Does Flash and Java work on these things. One of the most irritating things about the Touch and the iPhone is the lack of flash (I think it's just a ruse to make you buy apps from the itunes store, no flash or java, no flash or java apps)

Finally, I have had a play with an iPhone4, expensive but beautifully made. But I don't want to go there. The one thing that impressed me was the camera. It's low on features but picture quality looks good, it works really well in low light and (big plus) actually takes the picture when you press the button, not half a second later like my camera does. Are Android phone cameras as good? What one to go for?

Thanks for any help any of you can bung my way.
In Recordeo Speramus

Your Funny Uncle

Post by Your Funny Uncle » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:48

Uncle Ants wrote: 1) on Pay as you Go deals, are there any won't rip a hole in my wallet for mobile internet specifically?
I think three are the best in that they give you something like 350MB of free bandwidth each time you top up... What I would say is if you have wi-fi at home and/or at work make sure you set up your phone to use it so that you're only using mobile internet when you have to.
2) what's to stop you using skype to landline for phone calls - that way it's something like 1.5p a minute rather than stuipd pence a minute for calls. Do they stop you doing this? I know there is a Skype app for Android, so I know it's technically okay just wondering if the phone providers block it somehow or have worked out a way to stitch you up on it.
Actually as far as I'm aware the only official skype app is with three and that's skype-to skype only. No skype out. Also it DOESN'T WORK on wi-fi which is really annoying. On iPhone it's the opposite. You can't use skype over mobile internet but on wi-fi you can use skype-out.
3) Does Flash and Java work on these things. One of the most irritating things about the Touch and the iPhone is the lack of flash (I think it's just a ruse to make you buy apps from the itunes store, no flash or java, no flash or java apps)
Yes flash does work. It used to be quite basic but with the latest version of android it works better.
Finally, I have had a play with an iPhone4, expensive but beautifully made. But I don't want to go there. The one thing that impressed me was the camera. It's low on features but picture quality looks good, it works really well in low light and (big plus) actually takes the picture when you press the button, not half a second later like my camera does. Are Android phone cameras as good? What one to go for?
The camera on my Desire seems pretty decent but I haven't really used it much. I prefer to use my proper camera if i'm taking photos.

tompony

Post by tompony » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:56

The camera on my HTC Desire is alright, but nothing special. The pictures look excellent when you view them back on the screen but they're noticeably average when you look at them in the full resolution on a monitor. It's better in low light than my old phone (Sony Ericsson C702) was, but the overall quality isn't as good. I'll upload a couple of examples later on if you like.

I manually upgraded to Android 2.2 over the weekend and almost broke my phone twice. It was frightening! Apparently O2 aren't going to officially update for ages, though. The update seems nice, it's smoother and quicker and being able to install apps to the SD card is vital since there's not a great deal of storage on the phone itself.

My latest app recommendation is RhymeNow - a decent rhyming dictionary, handy for songwriters. There's a couple of other ones available but they're both terrible. This one actually finds words that rhyme with stuff!