Page 2 of 3

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 16:09
by Tomb
Contravene wrote:
tonieee wrote:I've never had that happen for me in Firefox on linux (or the Iceweasel variant on Debian) but I don't use it that much. Do you know what distribution of linux it is?
Linpus Linus Lite apparently.
Chris - did you ever manage to upgrade to Firefox 3?

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 01:14
by Contravene
Tomb wrote:Chris - did you ever manage to upgrade to Firefox 3?
Yeah, but I have to do a right-click - network - firefox to start it rather than just clicking on the desktop icon.

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 22:09
by tonieee
I got myself a brand new eee. We are now a two eee family! I got a 900 series one with big screen and more memory and stuff in sexy black. I had to go to Toys R Us to buy it though cos PC World now only sell them with Windows on.

It's quite weird that I can buy a computer from a toy shop that has higher specs than the PC I bought ten years ago and is the size of a hardback book!

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:55
by magic tea
'umblebee - how are you getting on with your Eee?

I have to wait until postgrad loan time to get one but I'm planning in advance!

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 21:37
by humblebee
I am liking it very much! It's so cute. Very easy to pop in your bag when you're going somewhere. Like a packet of aspirin. A bit fiddly to type on, but that's probably cos I'm not used to it much cos it's my second computer which I only use when I'm going somewhere (and most of the time I'm going nowhere).

tonieee spun some techy mojo on it last weekend, so it is now possible to change stuff around a bit on it and add new software and what have you. I'm gonna DJ with it at the Motifs gig in Notty come Saturday week!

And it's got a sudoku game built in to the operating system!

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 13:55
by tonieee
humblebee wrote:I am liking it very much! It's so cute. Very easy to pop in your bag when you're going somewhere. Like a packet of aspirin. A bit fiddly to type on, but that's probably cos I'm not used to it much cos it's my second computer which I only use when I'm going somewhere (and most of the time I'm going nowhere).
I hated the keyboard at first but I've got used to it now but I do use it more than my main computer now.
humblebee wrote:tonieee spun some techy mojo on it last weekend, so it is now possible to change stuff around a bit on it and add new software and what have you. I'm gonna DJ with it at the Motifs gig in Notty come Saturday week!
How are you getting on with the djing software? Are you still using pytone or have you tried any others? I'm thinking of using mine at Macho Music so let me know how it goes. One thing I didn't mention when I came round is that you can get access to the manual pages for most commands by bringing up a terminal and type "man" followed by a space and the command line (e.g. for pytone type "man pytone"). Use page up/down to scroll through the page and press "Q" to quit. There may be a GUI way of accessing them but I don't know what it is.
humblebee wrote:And it's got a sudoku game built in to the operating system!
Has it? I'll have to tell Jo so she can get a break from playing solitaire.

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 14:02
by humblebee
tonieee wrote:How are you getting on with the djing software? Are you still using pytone or have you tried any others? I'm thinking of using mine at Macho Music so let me know how it goes.
Will do. Not had chance to try any others yet but I'll have a look when I get a sec. Need to sit down one night next week and sort out my set so I'll do it then. I could really do with lengthening that auto-crossfade time, I think.

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 18:54
by tonieee
humblebee wrote:
tonieee wrote:How are you getting on with the djing software? Are you still using pytone or have you tried any others? I'm thinking of using mine at Macho Music so let me know how it goes.
Will do. Not had chance to try any others yet but I'll have a look when I get a sec. Need to sit down one night next week and sort out my set so I'll do it then. I could really do with lengthening that auto-crossfade time, I think.
It should be dead easy - just find the right parameter in the configuration file and change it to a different number. I'll have a look when I get home and let you know what it is...

I think not being able to manually change the crossfade as you are playing might be a big problem. I was actually thinking the opposite to you, i.e. shortening it so there is only a small crossfade.

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 21:04
by Concrete
My laptop's got a physical issue which will cause it to break some time (basically, the hinges are badly designed and they've snapped right across the plastic on both corners), and I so rarely use it for anything other than pissing about on t'internet that I don't see the point in getting a full-size replacement, especially at full-size prices. So, a "netbook" is what I'll be getting.

What do I need to know other than battery life and other things I can find out from the shop? Do they have any shortcomings? Can you do all the things I'd want to do, like play games on Facebook and watch iPlayer and stuff? Are they basically PCs but smaller and with no DVD drive?

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 23:25
by Gordon
Concrete wrote:My laptop's got a physical issue which will cause it to break some time
Image!

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 17:41
by Modern Antiquarian
Concrete wrote:My laptop's got a physical issue which will cause it to break some time (basically, the hinges are badly designed and they've snapped right across the plastic on both corners), and I so rarely use it for anything other than pissing about on t'internet that I don't see the point in getting a full-size replacement, especially at full-size prices. So, a "netbook" is what I'll be getting.

What do I need to know other than battery life and other things I can find out from the shop? Do they have any shortcomings? Can you do all the things I'd want to do, like play games on Facebook and watch iPlayer and stuff? Are they basically PCs but smaller and with no DVD drive?
I'm thinking of getting one too - Curry's in Swindon didn't have the one I've sort of decided on, which has got good reviews from everywhere http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... e=&seller=

I may hang on a month or two though as it's a relatively old model and will probably halve in price the minute I get it.

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 18:38
by Concrete
Modern Antiquarian wrote:I'm thinking of getting one too - Curry's in Swindon didn't have the one I've sort of decided on, which has got good reviews from everywhere http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... e=&seller=
Comet do that one, but it's a trek out to the Orbital Shopping Park near Abbey Meads. There used to be one 10 minutes' walk from here, but sadly no longer. Have you tried the proper Currys at Greenbridge, or just the ex-Dixons in town?

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 20:05
by Modern Antiquarian
Concrete wrote:
Modern Antiquarian wrote:I'm thinking of getting one too - Curry's in Swindon didn't have the one I've sort of decided on, which has got good reviews from everywhere http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... e=&seller=
Comet do that one, but it's a trek out to the Orbital Shopping Park near Abbey Meads. There used to be one 10 minutes' walk from here, but sadly no longer. Have you tried the proper Currys at Greenbridge, or just the ex-Dixons in town?
Just the one in town. I'm unexpectedly on holiday until the end of next week so may have an explore.

I still haven't completely justified to myself why I need to spend £300 on a tiny computer when I rarely travel far and my commute is a ten minute walk.

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 09:54
by moopind
We've got one of these now. Running on Windows 7, mind. What's the best way of getting my music onto it? It doesn't have a CD drive, but anyway, my music is all wma and mp3s saved on my big PC (I don't relish the thought of connecting up a CD drive and burning 100s of CDs anyway).

What should I do? Can I connect it to my PC and suck them all off there? Can I do it from my portable HDD which is the back up of said PC?

I think it's true to say I can't always find the actual files (say in Windows Explorer) for all of my music, particularly if they're wma files. I can't check, cos I'm at work.

Ideally, I'd like to use a different media player on the netbook (it'd have to play wma files). Will that be possible? If it does crossfading, all the better.

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:30
by humblebee
moopind wrote:Can I do it from my portable HDD which is the back up of said PC?
That's what I'd do.

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:41
by sideburnsjim
I recently got a 11.6" Dell Inspiron from the outlet store and think its the bee's knees.

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:47
by moopind
humblebee wrote:
moopind wrote:Can I do it from my portable HDD which is the back up of said PC?
That's what I'd do.
I'll give that a go. Thanks, tech support.

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 19:02
by tonieee
Are they both connected to the same wireless network? If so you should be just able to share a directory from your big PC and read/write to it from your eee. You may not need to even copy them - just play them over the network, that's what I do. The only downside is you have to have them both turned on to do that...

I don't know how you do it Windows but it's dead easy in Linux so I can't imagine it's very hard.

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 08:46
by moopind
Thanks. The PC isn't on a wireless network - it uses the mains wiring to talk to the broadband box downstairs. Any tips on music-playing software?

Re: Those tiny ickle laptops like Eees and what have you

Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 09:08
by tonieee
moopind wrote:Thanks. The PC isn't on a wireless network - it uses the mains wiring to talk to the broadband box downstairs.
I think that should still work. It's similar to my setup but my PC connects via a network cable to a wireless router which connects to my broadband box (which only has one connection) and my eee connects via wireless to the same router. I'm not right knowledgeable about networks but I think your eee and PC should still be on the same network and therefore be able to talk to each other.

Does the mains think work well? I've been thinking about doing it but I can't quite believe it works. I've currently got a big long network cable that goes halfway across the house and I've been meaning to put it under the floor for ages so it's not trailing across the living room.
moopind wrote:Any tips on music-playing software?
When I used Windows I used to like winamp but that was a gazillion years ago (in computing terms).