yubo

Re: (I'm not looking for a) New England

Post by yubo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 01:05

absolutely no poop-ing allowed.
Butt.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Fri Aug 15, 2008 02:09

squirrelboutique wrote:There's no way I can go to those!

Dangit, dangit, dangit.
crappity crap crap

impabafree
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by impabafree » Fri Aug 15, 2008 02:21

YAY. let's do this.

(if we take the grossbus, though, i reserve the right to drug myself into a stupor.)

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Fri Aug 15, 2008 02:23

That third dangit was mayhaps excessive. I really can't complain! I am just finishing 3.5 months of offworkness.

Can you work on getting bands to play more on Friday and Saturday nights, please?

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Fri Aug 15, 2008 21:50

OK, guys, I've been looking into hotels for pop fest and a lot of stuff is booked in Northampton (where the bands, who've yet to be announced(?) are gonna stay is beyond me) but there's some more possibilities in Amherst, which is very close, and I think there's a bus that runs constantly btwn. the two. I'll have my car, but I don't plan on being sober enough to drive once I've parked!

Anyhoo, I'll start an e-mail w/hotel suggestions to my gals here so we don't clog up this (incredibly cutting edge/place-to-be!) thread with minutiae.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue Aug 26, 2008 15:26

Fresh from the indie-pop mailing list: Pants Yell! are going to be doing an indie-pop night in Boston!! It's a fucking miracle! Of course, there's no way in hell, I can stay up/out on a Tuesday, but if there are anorakites in town, I'll sacrifice my tired old ass! Free (shit) beer!!!!!
I've been invited to start a monthly indie-pop dance night in Boston. Fourth TUESDAY of every month. Its called ... And Don't The Kids Just Love It. First night is tomorrow AUGUST 26th. It will be me and Casey of Pants Yell! DJing. Mark Robinson will be guest DJing next month.

Starts at 9pm and its FREE entry, FREE bowling, and FREE beer all night from Coors. No joke. 21+.

expect to hear:
Felt / June Brides / Rocketship / Go-Betweens / Cats Miaow / Smiths / Tough Alliance / In Interview / the Wake / Summer Hits / the Slits / TVPs / PoBPAH / Hit Parade / Dexy's Midnight Runners / Kicking Giant / Lilys

at the Milky Way. 403 Centre Street, Jamaica Plain, MA.

thanks,
Andrew

mick
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/ghettofab

Post by mick » Sun Jan 18, 2009 19:17

So is there anyone here from Providence, Rhode Island? I will be gradually moving there over the next year or so, and was wondering what people think of the place. It seems to be missed out by a lot of touring bands in favour of Boston. I know it had a thriving indiepop scene in the early nineties (Small Factory, Hoeybunch, Velvet Crush), but what's happened since then? Where should one look out for live shows? What about record shops?

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Mon Jan 19, 2009 02:10

Providence is a lot groovier than Boston. It used to be even more of a go to than Boston for the small indie bands because of RISD and Brown. etc. (e.g., The Pixies formed at RISD). Boston's less than an hour up the road, too (close by US standards) and much cheaper rents.

mick

Post by mick » Wed Jan 21, 2009 19:45

Yeah, the proximity to Boston is a good thing. The next weekend I go over POBPAH and Los Campesinos are playing in Boston, but nothing in Providence. In fact any time I'm in Providence there never seems to be any bands of interest playing. However, as a city goes, I do prefer Providence to Boston (which is a good thing as that's where the boyf and I will be based when I make the move).

kevshindig

Post by kevshindig » Wed Apr 15, 2009 22:17

mick wrote:So is there anyone here from Providence, Rhode Island? I will be gradually moving there over the next year or so, and was wondering what people think of the place. It seems to be missed out by a lot of touring bands in favour of Boston. I know it had a thriving indiepop scene in the early nineties (Small Factory, Hoeybunch, Velvet Crush), but what's happened since then? Where should one look out for live shows? What about record shops?
I spent most of my formative years in Providence. Great town, although after the Small Factory/Honeybunch heyday it's a much better town for avant-garde music and/or garage/rockabilly. There could be a big underground indiepop scene in Providence, but it's not on my radar.

Anyway. The best record store is Armageddon Records. They specialize in metal and hardcore, but don't let that dissuade you from checking it out - they've got a killer used vinyl section and the owner, Ben, is a mensch of the highest order. Aside from that the Newbury Comics in the Providence Place mall has a better indie selection than you might think.

Live shows: There aren't a lot of clubs that host live indie music in Providence anymore. Your best bet is to figure out where the house/warehouse shows are taking place (when I lived there it was almost always at a place called Fort Thunder, but that has been torn down) - there will be flyers posted at the aforementioned Armageddon records and/or on poles around Thayer Street to get the Brown/RISD students for this sort of thing. There are a couple of larger venues - Lupo's hosts your bigger name acts (The Decemberists, Rilo Kiley), AS220 is a non-profit art space that occasionally has shows, and Club Hell and Jerky's occasionally do things. For the bigger shows either pick up one of the free copies of the Providence Phoenix (comes out every Thursday) or check out their website. There will be listings and adverts.

There are also dance nights - again, keep your eyes peeled for flyers. Tazza (which is a bar downtown) has some cool ones. There are also interesting events at both the Grant Building (in nearby Pawtucket) and at some of the other local art galleries. I barely go (I live near Davis Square near Boston now) but I keep getting facebook invites to them.

Other: All the hipster bars are on the West End. The Scurvy Dog is co-owned by my friend Brendan, and has cheap beer and loud punk rock music. I've heard good things about the E&O Tap but I've never been.

The falafel place on Thayer Street (East Side Pockets) rocks my world.

Hope that helps!

kevshindig

Post by kevshindig » Wed Apr 15, 2009 22:19

Also, I am 99.9% certain that the Pixies did not form at RISD. They formed in Western Massachusetts, in the Amherst/Northampton area (they have that song "UMass" about it.) Talking Heads formed at RISD.

String Bean Jen
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/

Post by String Bean Jen » Wed Apr 15, 2009 22:45

Whoah, check out Kevin coming to represent Providence! Awesome.
There's more than one use for every part

kevshindig

Post by kevshindig » Thu Apr 16, 2009 19:18

String Bean Jen wrote:Whoah, check out Kevin coming to represent Providence! Awesome.
Thanks, Jen! Because, really, when you're looking for a guide to a city you want to hear from someone who has not lived there in 8 years. I should do a guide to various record shops that aren't in Providence anymore. Fast Forward Records used to have a separate section for Sarah Records releases!

More Providence things:

There are some decent used bookstores. Myopic Books in Wayland Square always used to have interesting stuff. I am going to go ahead and throw in a plug for Federal Hill Tattoo, where my good friend and former roommate Mike will ink you like there is no tomorrow! Tommy's Pizza is quite good, as is Caserta (although I hear Caserta is under new management, so that may have a negative effect.)

There is a used record/comic book store in nearby Cranston called The Time Capsule. Difficult to get to if you don't have a car.

In the warmer months there is a thing called "Waterfire", wherein they light the river on fire and street performers perform on the street. I was never a fan, but a lot of people really like it.

It's worth walking around the weird little sidestreets on College Hill (near Brown and RISD) to see the cool old houses. I used to do this all the time, listening to my walkman. Don't go past Doyle Ave, though, because the neighborhoods get progressively dicier.

There used to be good non-Starbucks coffee shops on Wickenden Street. I do not know if this is still the case.

Movies! There are two arthouse theaters, the Avon and the Cable Car. Both are small, and only host 1 or 2 films at a time. Most arthouse films will only play in Providence for about a week, so if you're really hankering to see something you only have a limited timeframe. The Avon tends to get the more well-known stuff but the Cable Car has cool couches you can sit on while watching the film. It is a good place for dates.

Not much is open late. Your post-show culinary options are severely limited. Plan accordingly.

kevshindig

Post by kevshindig » Thu Apr 16, 2009 19:25

Also, I may not agree with every choice, but this is what the people of Providence have to say about what is good in their fair city:

http://thephoenix.com/thebest/providence/

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Fri Apr 17, 2009 02:21

kevshindig wrote:Also, I am 99.9% certain that the Pixies did not form at RISD.
Well, exqueeze me. What do I know? I tried to throw Providence a bone. Western MA already claimed dinosaur jr. and all. How come Talking Heads always say they're from NYC then? I guess that's where they lived after college. Maybe it's Throwing Muses I that always confuse me about RI bands and my mind wanders to Pixies because I always think they can't possibly be fr. RI because Kirstin Hersh is southern or something, but I remember I think she was just born down there, and they're step sisters so they are really from RI and then my head hurts.

Anyone else traveling from Boston to NY Popfest in a couple weeks (weeks!) then?

kevshindig

Post by kevshindig » Fri Apr 17, 2009 03:39

alongwalkhome wrote:
Well, exqueeze me. What do I know? I tried to throw Providence a bone. Western MA already claimed dinosaur jr. and all. How come Talking Heads always say they're from NYC then? I guess that's where they lived after college. Maybe it's Throwing Muses I that always confuse me about RI bands and my mind wanders to Pixies because I always think they can't possibly be fr. RI because Kirstin Hersh is southern or something, but I remember I think she was just born down there, and they're step sisters so they are really from RI and then my head hurts.

Anyone else traveling from Boston to NY Popfest in a couple weeks (weeks!) then?
David Byrne, Chris Frantz, and Tina Weymouth all went to RISD together and then moved to New York. I think they decided to name the band "Talking Heads" once they got to New York, but Byrne and Frantz were playing in bands while in college.

Throwing Muses formed in Newport, RI and I think Tanya Donnelly's Belly were also kind of based out of Rhode Island when they formed.

I'm going to be in New York the weekend of the Popfest, but I'm heading down to go to that Stephin Merritt/Neil Gaiman musical. We may try and hit the Sunday afternoon show and see Rose Melberg and the Icicles.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Sat Apr 18, 2009 14:12

We'll def. be at the Sunday all dayer--maybe see you there then? Wouldn't miss Rose Melberg, Icicles, or The Smittens. Mad props to the popfest committee line up.

I am still reeling from disbelief that I will finally get to see both The Ballet and Eux Autres at long last. I may have actually had an aneurysm before Sunday. Of course, if rumors start flying that Daniel Johnston will make a cameo with Casper and the Cookies, I'll hold of on the aneurysm.

kevshindig

Post by kevshindig » Sat Apr 18, 2009 15:18

alongwalkhome wrote:We'll def. be at the Sunday all dayer--maybe see you there then? Wouldn't miss Rose Melberg, Icicles, or The Smittens. Mad props to the popfest committee line up.

I am still reeling from disbelief that I will finally get to see both The Ballet and Eux Autres at long last. I may have actually had an aneurysm before Sunday. Of course, if rumors start flying that Daniel Johnston will make a cameo with Casper and the Cookies, I'll hold of on the aneurysm.
Quite probably! We're a little concerned about getting back to Massachusetts at a semi-reasonable hour on Sunday as both the wife and I have work the next day - my vacation time for 2009 is pretty much shot due to faraway weddings and a trip to New Zealand - but right now the plan is to hit the all-dayer at some point.

nanski

Post by nanski » Tue Apr 28, 2009 05:53

alongwalkhome wrote:

i thought david byrne was from Columbia, MD??
big hole! big hole! big hole! big man! big man!

mick

Post by mick » Wed Apr 29, 2009 16:12

kevshindig wrote: Hope that helps!
Immensely, thanks! And perfectly timed - I'm knocking about in Providence this week getting to know the place a bit better, so I'll certainly be following your pointers. Thanks!