Southampton. Famous for...

scotland - england - ireland - wales
User avatar
Mr Kittens
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 21:26
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/rocklobster
Location: Hampshire, England
Contact:

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by Mr Kittens » Thu Feb 21, 2013 16:58

I'm just posting to let everyone know I still exist! Hullo! *waves*

I may go to The Wild Smiles. See you there! *disappears from Anorak for another 6 months...*

richpassivity
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:55
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Eastleigh,Hampshire, England

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by richpassivity » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:38

Mr Kittens wrote:I'm just posting to let everyone know I still exist! Hullo! *waves*

I may go to The Wild Smiles. See you there! *disappears from Anorak for another 6 months...*
Good to hear from you Andy! Hope to see you at WILD SMILES!
One thing that we've known from the start
Deep down inside, we're punk rockers at heart

richpassivity
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:55
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Eastleigh,Hampshire, England

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by richpassivity » Mon Mar 04, 2013 17:44

Sadly WILD SMILES has been postponed until May as the guitarist has broken his arm.
One thing that we've known from the start
Deep down inside, we're punk rockers at heart

richpassivity
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:55
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Eastleigh,Hampshire, England

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by richpassivity » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:53

WILD SMILES at the Joiners been re-arranged for Wed 8 May.
One thing that we've known from the start
Deep down inside, we're punk rockers at heart

richpassivity
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:55
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Eastleigh,Hampshire, England

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by richpassivity » Tue May 14, 2013 15:59

Some forthcoming gigs in the area:-

Thursday 16 May - BUZZCOCKS - The Brook, Southampton
Friday 24 May - DUTCH UNCLES - Joiners, Southampton
Wednesday 5 June - BLACK TAMBOURINES - Joiners
Friday 7 June - SEAPONY - Railway Inn, Winchester
One thing that we've known from the start
Deep down inside, we're punk rockers at heart

richpassivity
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:55
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Eastleigh,Hampshire, England

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by richpassivity » Thu May 16, 2013 08:57

Also:-

Saturday 8 June - WILD SMILES - Lennons, Southampton
One thing that we've known from the start
Deep down inside, we're punk rockers at heart

User avatar
iainmayfield
Posts: 455
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 16:46

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by iainmayfield » Fri Jun 14, 2013 14:45

Veronica Falls to play Southsea Fest this year!!! not quite Southampton but close enough!

richpassivity
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:55
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Eastleigh,Hampshire, England

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by richpassivity » Mon Jun 17, 2013 13:43

iainmayfield wrote:Veronica Falls to play Southsea Fest this year!!! not quite Southampton but close enough!
Yay! :)
One thing that we've known from the start
Deep down inside, we're punk rockers at heart

User avatar
Mr Kittens
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 21:26
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/rocklobster
Location: Hampshire, England
Contact:

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by Mr Kittens » Mon Jun 17, 2013 20:26

richpassivity wrote:
iainmayfield wrote:Veronica Falls to play Southsea Fest this year!!! not quite Southampton but close enough!
Yay! :)
Another yay from me! That Southsea Fest is shaping up to be a good'un.

Later on in the autumn, the splendid Sweet Baboo at the Joiners, November 18th - my most-played artist over the last few weeks...

Solent City is the place to be, Solent City is the place for me!

richpassivity
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:55
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Eastleigh,Hampshire, England

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by richpassivity » Tue Jun 18, 2013 09:30

I shall see if I can DJ for that SWEET BABOO gig
One thing that we've known from the start
Deep down inside, we're punk rockers at heart

User avatar
Mr Kittens
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 21:26
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/rocklobster
Location: Hampshire, England
Contact:

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by Mr Kittens » Mon Sep 02, 2013 22:40

Help needed! I'll be at the Southsea Fest next weekend. Looking forward to Veronica Falls, but I'm going to miss Splassh, Drenge, Best Friends and Wild Smiles (amongst others) as I'll be with my daughter, who can't get in to the over-18 venues. These are the bands I'll be able to see at the all-ages venues...I know a few good ones (Tyrannosaurus Dead, Future of the Left, Black Tambourines, Dolomite Minor, etc)...but who else should I see out of this lot?

*copy/pastes*

- The Wedgewood Rooms: 14.00 – 00.00
Future of the left ~ Temples ~ Superfood ~ Night Engine ~ Thumpers ~ Crushed Beaks ~ Sisters ~ The Family Rain ~ Dolomite Minor ~ Flyte ~ Kasassin Street ~ Kill Kasper

- Little Johnny Russells: 12.00 – 19.30
Burma ~ Brightsmoke ~ Unknown Soldiers ~ Fever ~ Maths & The Moon ~ Pivotal ~ New Desert Blues ~ Dead Rabbits

- The Kings Theatre: 13.30 – 21.00
Veronica Falls ~ Foy Vance ~ Marika Hackman ~ MMX ~ Sons & Lovers ~ Kimberly Anne ~ Joe Black ~ The Retrospective Soundtrack Players

- Edge of the Wedge: 13.15 – 23.00
Anamanaguchi ~ The Computers ~ Stagecoach ~ Axes ~ Gunning For Tamar ~ Doctrines ~ Delta Sleeps ~ Radstewart ~ Bermuda Ern ~ Someone Died

- Southsea Social Club (Up & Downstairs): 12.00 – 22.45
Mugstar ~ JC Satan ~ AK/DK ~ Flamingods ~ Curxes ~ Wet Nuns ~ Dignan Porch ~ Protein Window ~ Bad Guys ~ Death at Sea ~ Watashi Calcutecs ~ Jungfrau ~ Slowcoaches ~ Jesse Wyldes & The Stallions ~ Arrows of Love ~ Yoofs ~ The Black Tambourines ~ Physics House Band ~ Playlounge ~ Tyrannosaurus Dead ~ Cycle Schmeichel ~ Battery Hens ~ You’re Smiling Now But We’ll All Turn Into Demons ~ Perch ~ Ricky Fitts

- The Magic Bean Cafe: 12.00 – 21.00
Floella Grace ~ Will Mcnicol ~ Jerry Williams ~ Lucy Kitchen ~ Matt Jarvis ~ Andrew Foster ~ Chris Ricketts ~ Pompey Pluckers

User avatar
iainmayfield
Posts: 455
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 16:46

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by iainmayfield » Tue Sep 03, 2013 08:55

I can only comment on the Pompey bands on the list Mr Kittens - a lot of the bands playing are from out of town although quite a few have played Club Psychedelia over the last year or so - however, my tips are:

Kasassin street and Kill Kaspar - two of the better local bands, lots of energy and big choruses - quite big followings locally
The Unknown Soldiers - bit of a Doors fixation , but they do it well and and are a nice bunch of lads
Joe Black - be prepared - and be very afraid! Gender bending camp cabaret and sea shanties - very entertaining but don't sit at the front in case he sits on your lap and takes a shine to you - think Julian Clary as a camp pirate..
Dead Rabbits are always OK - Southampton band with wah wahs and a good psych image etc
The Computers are very loud punk pop - in your face , but quite entertaining

Hope that helps - and enjoy!

User avatar
Mr Kittens
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 21:26
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/rocklobster
Location: Hampshire, England
Contact:

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by Mr Kittens » Wed Sep 04, 2013 17:27

Thanks Iain, that's a great help! Joe Black certainly sounds interesting :-)

I've had a listen to Anamaguchi (sp?) on the interweb - old skool computer game music - could be good after Veronica Falls have finished. Looking forward to the day anyway.

roundbitsofplastic
Posts: 5336
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:57
Location: Brumagem

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:32

There's a very real chance that I might be spending some time in Southampton soon. Is it still as totally shit as I remember?
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Murray

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by Murray » Thu Sep 05, 2013 14:01

Mr Kittens wrote:Help needed! I'll be at the Southsea Fest next weekend. Looking forward to Veronica Falls, but I'm going to miss Splassh, Drenge, Best Friends and Wild Smiles (amongst others) as I'll be with my daughter, who can't get in to the over-18 venues. These are the bands I'll be able to see at the all-ages venues...I know a few good ones (Tyrannosaurus Dead, Future of the Left, Black Tambourines, Dolomite Minor, etc)...but who else should I see out of this lot?

*copy/pastes*

- The Wedgewood Rooms: 14.00 – 00.00
Future of the left ~ Temples ~ Superfood ~ Night Engine ~ Thumpers ~ Crushed Beaks ~ Sisters ~ The Family Rain ~ Dolomite Minor ~ Flyte ~ Kasassin Street ~ Kill Kasper

- Little Johnny Russells: 12.00 – 19.30
Burma ~ Brightsmoke ~ Unknown Soldiers ~ Fever ~ Maths & The Moon ~ Pivotal ~ New Desert Blues ~ Dead Rabbits

- The Kings Theatre: 13.30 – 21.00
Veronica Falls ~ Foy Vance ~ Marika Hackman ~ MMX ~ Sons & Lovers ~ Kimberly Anne ~ Joe Black ~ The Retrospective Soundtrack Players

- Edge of the Wedge: 13.15 – 23.00
Anamanaguchi ~ The Computers ~ Stagecoach ~ Axes ~ Gunning For Tamar ~ Doctrines ~ Delta Sleeps ~ Radstewart ~ Bermuda Ern ~ Someone Died

- Southsea Social Club (Up & Downstairs): 12.00 – 22.45
Mugstar ~ JC Satan ~ AK/DK ~ Flamingods ~ Curxes ~ Wet Nuns ~ Dignan Porch ~ Protein Window ~ Bad Guys ~ Death at Sea ~ Watashi Calcutecs ~ Jungfrau ~ Slowcoaches ~ Jesse Wyldes & The Stallions ~ Arrows of Love ~ Yoofs ~ The Black Tambourines ~ Physics House Band ~ Playlounge ~ Tyrannosaurus Dead ~ Cycle Schmeichel ~ Battery Hens ~ You’re Smiling Now But We’ll All Turn Into Demons ~ Perch ~ Ricky Fitts

- The Magic Bean Cafe: 12.00 – 21.00
Floella Grace ~ Will Mcnicol ~ Jerry Williams ~ Lucy Kitchen ~ Matt Jarvis ~ Andrew Foster ~ Chris Ricketts ~ Pompey Pluckers
All of these are worth getting along to see, particularly the last 3 who are all ace!

Crushed Beaks
Radstewart
Dignan Porch
Slowcoaches
The Black Tambourines
Playlounge
Tyrannosaurus Dead

Some of them do veer away from the indiepop template more to noisy, thrashy pop, but no more so than, say, Joanna Gruesome or Urusei Yatsura.

User avatar
Mr Kittens
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 21:26
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/rocklobster
Location: Hampshire, England
Contact:

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by Mr Kittens » Thu Sep 05, 2013 21:21

Thanks Murray. If I could see 10 bands in a day that all sounded exactly like Urusei Yatura, I'd be very happy indeed! Looks like I might be hanging around the Social Club a fair bit next Saturday, hoping that Veronica Falls and Tyrannosaurus Dead don't clash.

As for Southampton being shit...er, well, it's near the New Forest; we've had new lampposts put up recently in Shirley...nope, that's it.

User avatar
iainmayfield
Posts: 455
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 16:46

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by iainmayfield » Fri Sep 06, 2013 09:21

Battery Hens have a Steve Albini/Kevin Shields vibe about them too - they're quite good.

roundbitsofplastic
Posts: 5336
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:57
Location: Brumagem

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:26

Mr Kittens wrote: As for Southampton being shit...er, well, it's near the New Forest; we've had new lampposts put up recently in Shirley...nope, that's it.
Pretty much as I thought :-/

Also, added to what Murray said about yr gig thingy: I saw You’re Smiling Now But We’ll All Turn Into Demons YEARS ago, perhaps several times, I liked them quite a bit (but I was a student, so, um, yeah). They're not pop at all, a bit Hot Snakes-y. Fun.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

User avatar
Mr Kittens
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 21:26
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/rocklobster
Location: Hampshire, England
Contact:

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by Mr Kittens » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:49

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, you've been really helpful. Hoping to get there in time for Battery Hens' set at 1.30, but may just miss them. Excited anyway! Veronica Falls! Can't wait!

richpassivity
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:55
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Eastleigh,Hampshire, England

Re: Southampton. Famous for...

Post by richpassivity » Tue Sep 17, 2013 08:50

How was Southsea fest Andy?
I am waiting for a hernia operation so all day gigging is a bit out of the question at the moment sadly :(
One thing that we've known from the start
Deep down inside, we're punk rockers at heart

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest