Take me out to the (base) ball game!

football, cricket, darts, athletics - the lot
alongwalkhome

Take me out to the (base) ball game!

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:55 am

A place to talk about the national past time (not wanking--geez!)

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:16 pm

I love this time of year, baseball in October, drama, excitement, passion, and we've already had it in spades after last night's Padres-Rockies game (which I'm most looking forward to watching the recording of tonight). I hope the Red Sox do the biz this year again, Beckett looks great, I just get the feeling Schilling will up his game for the play-offs, I guess we have to wait and see whether the good Dice-K or the bad Dice-K shows up but I'm confident they'll get to the ALCS. To face the Empire of course...

So yeah, Red Sox fan here. And whoever is playing the Empire. Mon the Indians!
They don't call me Hawkeye Gilhooley... at all

Colin
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/colinbmx

Post by Colin » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:20 pm

I'm down with the Mets.
Is it the Channel 5 coverage you watch, Chris? I love those guys. They lost the audio feed at the start of Sunday night's game and had to do their own commentary for the first few innings. Heh. I don't think Jonathan Gould's baseball knowledge is up to much, but he's brilliantly cheesy.

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:28 pm

Yeah and I've got a subscription to NASN on cable and MLB.tv on the PC! All the play-off games are on NASN, I'm still trying to work out if I'll be able to watch them all. Probably not!

JG and JC are great, you combine Chetwynd's knowledge and Gould's enthusiasm and it makes for a good mix.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:44 am

I didn't think the Sox had fans outside of New England. I figured foreigners all supported the Yankees, just like Americans all support Man Utd. or Arsenal. I learn something new every day.

I'm a Sox fan, but I really only watch casually. My entire office is baseball mad so I get the rundown every morning whether I like it or not.

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:15 am

I remember when Channel 5 in the UK first started showing baseball (in 1997) and one of the presenters said the Yankees were the "Manchester United of baseball". That was enough to generate an antipathy towards them, the rest just came naturally and so I gravitated towards Boston.

Amazing game between the Padres and the Rockies on Monday (lucky I set my V+ box to record for 5 and a half hours!), at least 385 lead changes (and storming comebacks by the Rockies!) and drama right down to the last pitch in the bottom of the 13th. Matt Holliday's got to be the NL MVP now.

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:29 pm

Magnificent pitching performance by Josh Beckett last night for the Red Sox, the Angels didn't really have a clue against him. No offense from the Red Sox after the 3rd inning, but there didn't need to be as Beckett totally shut the Angels down. Dice-K on the mound tomorrow, here's hoping for another goodie.

The Rockies are currently killing the Phillies in game 2 of their series. Momentum, momentum, momentum... This totally reminds me of the Tigers last year.

madcat
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/hullukissa

Post by madcat » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:40 am

Well that was fast- bye bye Cubbies! They never belonged in the post-season with their 85 wins anyway. (In the NL West, that would be 4th place.)

Does anyone else think they should go old-school and abolish divisions? And just have the top 4 teams in each league go to the playoffs.

An even better idea: Relegation to/promotion from AAA. Bye bye Tampa Bay...

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:19 am

Congrats to the Indians, dumping the Empire out after 4 games, looking forward to seeing all the sad faces at Yankee Stadium when I watch the game tonight! I guess that's Torre out of a job after Steinbrenner's outburst a few days ago and I wonder if A-Rod will move on too?

Should be a cracking ALCS though, as should the NLCS, although I guess the Red Sox are now favourites for the World Series. Eek, this could end in tears!

nanski
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by nanski » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:06 am

madcat wrote:An even better idea: Relegation to/promotion from AAA. Bye bye Tampa Bay...
i've often wondered about this with American sports in general. but aren't all the AAA teams owned by a major league team? wouldn't that complicate things? i haven't really thought this through, though, so i'm not sure what the complications would be...

there was an interesting article in the NYTimes (I think) about how Joe Torre is so much classier than Steinbrenner could ever be. I like Joe Torre, even though i hate the Yankees. He used to manage the Braves, you know.

oh... I really wish Okinawa had a major league (or whatever they call it here) team. i love baseball. at least i can see it on TV at a normal hour now.
big hole! big hole! big hole! big man! big man!

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:12 am

If there's one thing Bostonians love more than winning, it's watching the poophead Yankees go down. Joe Torre is rather a smart dresser, though, isn't he? But it was probably his idea to make it a rule they all had to be clean shaven. Get a life.

So, at 8-1 Sox at the top of the 6th inning, I can safely say people will be nice to each other tomorrow (and hopefully for the foreseeable future if the odds makers are correct). Nice way to start the weekend!

alongwalkhome

GO SOX!

Post by alongwalkhome » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:12 pm

Well, we've made the World Series for the second time in twenty years, so of course I'll be in England for the entire sodding thing. Poop. Where do y'all go to catch baseball games on TV? I'm wondering if my hotel will have it on. It's mostly on in the middle of the fucking night over there so I guess I'll miss the games either way.

Here's the line up:

Wednesday, Oct. 24: Rockies at Red Sox, 8 p.m. ET
Thursday, Oct. 25: Rockies at Red Sox, TBD
Saturday, Oct. 27: Red Sox at Rockies, TBD
Sunday, Oct. 28, Red Sox at Rockies, TBD

if needed
Monday, Oct. 29: Red Sox at Rockies, TBD
Wednesday, Oct 31: Rockies at Red Sox, TBD
Thursday, Nov. 1: Rockies at Red Sox, TBD

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:34 pm

Channel 5 (a terrestrial channel) will be showing all the games live, I'm pretty sure you'll find it on a hotel TV. Yeah, it'll be first pitch at 1am our time so I'll have to record the games overnight and try and avoid the internet all day. What fun...

Colin
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/colinbmx

Post by Colin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:18 am

Chris, have you watched the first game yet? I've only seen the first inning but I know the result. Pretty amazing. I don't know what happened last night though.

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:18 am

I watched game 1 last night. Bit of a blow-out to say the least. Beckett shut them down, their pitching couldn't handle the hitters, easy win for the BoSox, the commentators just talked pish for the last few innings cos the game was over!

I had a sneaky peeky at the game 2 result this morning.

Paquito

Re: Take me out to the (base)ballpark!

Post by Paquito » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:11 pm

bumpity bump...

New season starts today, Sox vs A's in Tokyo. I'm recording the game, but have had a quick peek at the score and see that the Sox have tied it with a two-out homer in the top of the 9th! Good stuff.

And now watch my life disappear with my MLB.tv subscription and NASN subscription. Oops...

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:32 pm

My office is all in a tizzy today. It's weird that it still so goddamned cold and baseball season has started.

The logo for our local paper changed today--this doesn't happen often!

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:59 pm

Sox win! Manny being Manny delivers in the top of the 10th.

1 down, 161 to go!

Huw
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Huw » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:33 pm

I'm gonna be in Cleveland this summer and therefore following the Indians. I know nothing about baseball however. How are they expected to do? I'd better brush up on the rules mind, it all seems a bit complicated to me!
particularly the headers
www.theswapsies.co.uk

Richard
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/richarddsfar

Post by Richard » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:43 pm

The best thing about baseball is that fat old men play it. That's awesome.