Baking (cakes and stuff)

recipes, soup, curry, baking, sandwiches, crisps, beer, pubs, alcohol
Sylvie
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Baking (cakes and stuff)

Post by Sylvie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:43 pm

RITH wrote:I made my very first pumpkin pie this weekend. If I had known it was this easy, I'd have made it many times before! I made the crust out of almond flour (3/4), potato starch (1/4), butter and honey. The filling is 1 pumpkin, rice milk, butter, eggs, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, vanilla and maple syrup. It's so good. I mean, SO good.
Is that a gluten-free pastry? I've made it a couple of times, but can't remember what recipe I used. Probably just one from BBC Food website. I do love pumpkin pie - it's like an extra special custard tart.

I was asking about the gluten-free because I've been trying to cut down on wheat a bit and made a cake yesterday which had no flour (or butter) in it. I accidentally bought a bag of tangerines instead of clementines, so rather than throw them out I used Nigella Lawson's clementine cake recipe to use them up. You have to boil the whole tangerines for two hours then blend the whole fruit, skin and all, to add to the cake mix. Weird, but it does work!
Just be nice to me.

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:16 am

Sylvie wrote:You have to boil the whole tangerines for two hours then blend the whole fruit, skin and all, to add to the cake mix. Weird, but it does work!
Woh. WOH.

So today I blagged a work-from-home day because I just couldn't face going in and, between answering emails and editing mediocre copy, I'm baking two types of bread and a quinoa hazelnut cake. I swear my oven is talking to me.

RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Post by RITH » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:33 am

Sylvie wrote:Is that a gluten-free pastry?
Yes it is!

Sylvie
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Sylvie » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:23 pm

crystalball wrote:So today I blagged a work-from-home day because I just couldn't face going in and, between answering emails and editing mediocre copy, I'm baking two types of bread and a quinoa hazelnut cake. I swear my oven is talking to me.
Quinoa hazelnut cake sounds amazing. Do you have a recipe you can pass on? Hazelnuts are so underrated.

I had a go at jaffa cakes earlier this week, but the less said about that the better. I think the jelly needed more gelatine or something. I also made tiramisu yesterday for the first time, which was really quick and easy. It has raw egg in it, so probably a bit risky but I am still alive almost 24 hours later! There are so many traditional desserts and cakes like this I feel I should have made by now, but haven't. Thinking about making a Bakewell tart in the next couple of weeks.

Pancake day on Tuesday first! I got some buckwheat flour earlier, so we're going to have savoury and sweet crepes.
Just be nice to me.

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:30 pm

Sylvie wrote: Quinoa hazelnut cake sounds amazing. Do you have a recipe you can pass on? Hazelnuts are so underrated.
It was really good. Bit like carrot cake in texture. Here's the recipe:

150g quinoa
150g hazelnuts
25g unsalted butter, melted
4 eggs, separated 175g light soft brown sugar
1 level tsp baking powder
1 level tsp ground cinnamon
2 level tbsp cornflour
150ml whipping cream
1 tbsp caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
Icing sugar to dust
Soft ripe fruit or jam

Butter a 20cm round springform cake tin and line the base with a disc of non-stick baking paper. Tip the quinoa on to one baking tray, the hazelnuts on to another, and place in a 200C (180C fan-assisted) oven for about 20 minutes until both are golden brown. Pour the quinoa into a saucepan with 400ml water, bring to the boil, then stick the lid on tight and leave over a gentle heat for about 15 minutes until the water is absorbed and the grain burst and cooked soft. Spread on to a dinner plate to cool. Grind the nuts in a food processor or blender. Heat the oven to 180C (160C fan-assisted). Heat the butter in a saucepan until it turns nut brown, then remove from the heat and leave somewhere warm.

Beat the yolks with about half of the sugar in a large bowl with an electric whisk until very thick and beige-coloured. In a separate bowl, beat the whites with the remaining sugar and baking powder until thick. Fold the quinoa, hazelnuts, cinnamon and sifted cornflour through the yolks, then fold in the egg whites and the melted butter. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 45 minutes or until the centre of the cake feels firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Whip the cream with the caster sugar and vanilla extract, then split and fill the cake with the whipped cream and fruit or jam, and dust the top with icing sugar.

I decorated it with cream-cheese icing and fresh blueberries