ask anorak about food

recipes, soup, curry, baking, sandwiches, crisps, beer, pubs, alcohol
nanski
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: ask anorak about food

Post by nanski » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:46 am

oh man, this mango salad tastes even better after sitting in the fridge a few days! The recipe: cook one packet of rice noodles. drain and toss with a little oil to keep them from sticking. mix with cubed unripe mango (ours was starting to go orange/red on the outside), shredded carrot (about 1 cup), minced scallions, and chopped peanuts. the dressing was lime juice, rice vinegar, fish sauce (we substituted soy sauce for the strict vegetarians), chili (2 superhot bird's eye chilis) and a bit of sugar.
big hole! big hole! big hole! big man! big man!

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:37 am

nanski wrote:oh man, this mango salad tastes even better after sitting in the fridge a few days! The recipe: cook one packet of rice noodles. drain and toss with a little oil to keep them from sticking. mix with cubed unripe mango (ours was starting to go orange/red on the outside), shredded carrot (about 1 cup), minced scallions, and chopped peanuts. the dressing was lime juice, rice vinegar, fish sauce (we substituted soy sauce for the strict vegetarians), chili (2 superhot bird's eye chilis) and a bit of sugar.
that recipe sounds LOVELY. I quite fancy some but there's no chance I'm making that any time soon. / lazy.

I do take exception to the insinuation that one can be vegetarian and consume fish.

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

nanski
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by nanski » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:54 am

"vegetarians" have to compromise alot in Okinawa, or never eat out. our cooking club group has always been strictly vegetarian though. i thought i could get away with some nom pla, since everyone in the group eats at the local thai restaurants, but we decided to stay true to our original principles. to be honest, in this recipe, I don't think it would have made much difference.
big hole! big hole! big hole! big man! big man!

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:47 am

nanski wrote:"vegetarians" have to compromise alot in Okinawa, or never eat out. our cooking club group has always been strictly vegetarian though. i thought i could get away with some nom pla, since everyone in the group eats at the local thai restaurants, but we decided to stay true to our original principles. to be honest, in this recipe, I don't think it would have made much difference.
When I lived in Monolkiri (Cambodia) we struck a deal with a restaurant that we'd eat there every day if they didn't mess with our food. mind, they add the sauce at the end over there anyway. stinks the whole place out. ick.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

mimpkin
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mimpers

Post by mimpkin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:45 pm

Does anyone else call those giant gherkins that you get in the chip shop wallys? No one has heard of it up here.
totally wicked and equally ace

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:54 pm

does anybody know a good method to draw the blood out of a liver?