Juice

recipes, soup, curry, baking, sandwiches, crisps, beer, pubs, alcohol
Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Re: Juice

Post by Gordon » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:04 pm

I am firmly in the orange and cranberry camp. Good on their own or mixed, and on their own with vodka, or mixed. The perfect juice(s).
Toot toot.

wrapyrtroubles
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/egg_fang

Post by wrapyrtroubles » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:19 pm

i'm in a morrison's value orange juice phase right now. other juices i've flirted with this year include: beetroot (! yes really, to me it is delicious); prune (double "!" i know - again i love it despite its apparent repulsiveness); carrot; pear. i've been thinking about cloudy apple juice a lot since first reading this thread and i was thinking how nice it would be if it had actual clouds in! if you looked into your glass and saw this:

i like to have a glass of juice first thing when i wake up, the quickly absorbed sugars give you a metabolic kick in the bottom which is good if like me you arise with the vim and vigour of a heavily sedated zombie sloth.

stolenwine
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/

Post by stolenwine » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:59 pm

wait a minute...juice has tons of calories? shit. i had no idea. i always thought of juice as a healthy drink because it's just fruit and water. OH NO. i drink tons of juice but i don't think the calorie thing will make me stop because drinking juice too big a part of my life now. i love the copella pressed apple juices and i like a good "freshly squeezed" orange juice too. those are my favourites and the ones we buy in our weekly shopping. i like cranberry juice with my vodka, but i think that is a "juice drink" rather than real juice.

but yeah, juice is ace!
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:48 pm

stolenwine wrote:wait a minute...juice has tons of calories? shit. i had no idea. i always thought of juice as a healthy drink because it's just fruit and water. OH NO. i drink tons of juice...
...and are you fat? No. Are your teeth rotting away? If not, it's probably not a problem.

I wish people would snap out of this whole sugar/energy=bad nonsense. You need energy to stay alive and to do stuff. The fact that something gives you energy doesn't make it "unhealthy", and if you're gaining too many calories from your food and drink, the better solution for the majority of people is to exercise more, not to eat less.

I got some Sainsbury's Sicilian lemonade today after reading this thread...

stolenwine

Post by stolenwine » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:57 pm

i've always thought that the only sugars to avoid are the processed kind, and that fruit sugar is ok. i don't know where i got that idea from (maybe because fruit is supposed to be good for you so i thought fruit sugar=good? i don't know) so i've never avoided juice because of the sugar (unless it has added sugar).

anyway, how many calories in a glass of juice? it's probably still less than a glass of coke, right?
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

let it ride
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by let it ride » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:17 pm

To be honest, I've stopped even attempting to get how much calories or stuff is in different foods. I just try to use common sense and eat a bit of everything (well, vegetarian everything) with a lot of vegetables, and drink water maybe 90% of the time, and then have a drink/a glass of juice or squash now and again. And as Andrew says, exercise will be more important than any extra glass here and there, I am sure.

If anything I have become more wary of all type of diet/low-fat/mega super duper skinny products... they seem more suspicious to me.
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

wrapyrtroubles
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/egg_fang

Post by wrapyrtroubles » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:27 pm

ugh i agree, don't worry about the calories in juice - that way, madness lies. like anything, it's fine in moderation. the reason the sugar content of juice can be a problem is because it's more concentrated than in the whole fruit, so you'd have to eat a lot of oranges to get the same number of calories as you do from a glass of orange juice. did anyone already say, pear and pineapple is a nice combination? and marks and spencer do a little carton of pomegranate and raspberry for 85p which I treat myself to if I get thirsty when I'm in town :)

stolenwine

Post by stolenwine » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:28 pm

totally! all those low-fat/light products just seem dodgy. i think they add lots of gross chemicals and stuff like that to them.
--
stolen wine social

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:41 pm

let it ride wrote:If anything I have become more wary of all type of diet/low-fat/mega super duper skinny products... they seem more suspicious to me.
I can't drink anything with aspartame in it, not because of health fears (though it is a carcinogen) but because I find the taste of it slightly bitter and just generally unpleasant. It drives Sarah mad sometimes, I'm sure, because it's difficult to find squashes in some supermarkets without it. Sainsbury's is fine; they put no aspartame in their own drinks, and pretty much anything that doesn't say "diet" will only contain natural sweeteners. Other supermarkets aren't so great though. Tesco, for example, does too types of dandelion and burdock drink - a normal one and a diet one. Both have aspartame in them because they can make the normal one cheaper that way... It really annoys me that Lucozade Sport has aspartame in it - it's a high-sugar drink, that's the entire point of it, but they still feel the need to put sweeteners in it. I just don't get that.

So anyway... fruit juice appears to be something like 10-15% sugar, which is roughly 100 calories a glass. Somebody asked that, I think.

janglyjan
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jangly

Post by janglyjan » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:55 pm

I also hate the taste of anything with Aspartame. Nasty stuff.

I took nutrition in college and the professor told us that there are different kind of sugars and the fruit sugars are healthier. I dunno, made sense to me. How can fruit be bad for you?

I got this "Yoga Bunny Detox" from Pret a Manger the other day. It's a very stupid name but was super good. It's carbonated water with grape juice along with echinacea, ginseng, mint, lemongrass, etc. It doesn't have any added or fake sugars. If they would rename it I would buy it all the time. But I don't really find it appealing to be drinking out of a can that says "liquid psychiatry" and it called "yoga bunny" no matter how good it is.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:02 pm

janglyjan wrote:I also hate the taste of anything with Aspartame. Nasty stuff.
Aspartame gives me migraines, so I haven't had it in two years. Bastard stuff is in everything--things you'd never imagine, so I have to read labels very closely.

I drink a lot more water now because I used to drink diet soda (which is repulsive, I know); and I try to get most of my fruit-related vitamins fr. the whole fruit. A lot of people who suffer headaches--and some say other maladies--are chronically dehydrated. I def. notice the difference when I don't get my 64 oz a day. Green tea counts towards your "water" intake--wish I really liked it!
stolenwine wrote:anyway, how many calories in a glass of juice? it's probably still less than a glass of coke, right?
Don't panic! The health benefits of real juice are entirely worth whatever calories you consume. Just be sure you're getting 100% juice w/as many vitamins and minerals in them as possible and you're doing well for your body. Coke is horrible, empty, stomach-rotting calories made of high-fructose corn syrup--the evilest substance on the planet.

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:14 pm

alongwalkhome wrote:I def. notice the difference when I don't get my 64 oz a day. Green tea counts towards your "water" intake--wish I really liked it!
I'm sceptical about drinks not counting though... when I first heard about how fruit juice, tea, coffee, Coke, alcoholic drinks etc. didn't count, I think I worked out I'd never even had more than a quarter of the recommended amount of water in a day before, except perhaps the day I ran a marathon (and that was borderline; certainly nowhere close to a whole daily ration). As long as my piss isn't really yellow I don't worry about that one.

But then I don't get migraines.

stolenwine

Post by stolenwine » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:23 pm

alongwalkhome wrote: Don't panic! The health benefits of real juice are entirely worth whatever calories you consume. Just be sure you're getting 100% juice w/as many vitamins and minerals in them as possible and you're doing well for your body. Coke is horrible, empty, stomach-rotting calories made of high-fructose corn syrup--the evilest substance on the planet.
i hardly ever drink coke for that very reason (plus i'm not a big fan of fizzy drinks)

i'm glad juice is back to being healthy! i drink about 5 glasses a day.
--
stolen wine social

Caroline74

Post by Caroline74 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:09 pm

I know this is not juice related but it is drink related so here's my querie.
I have a powerade addiction. 2-3 bottles everyday either mango or the blue stuff! My husband tells me it's dangerous to drink so much isotonic stuff as it will mess up my potasium levels or something! Dangerous!!!!!! Please someone tell me he's talking bollocks!

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Sat May 09, 2009 10:47 pm

It is bad to get too much potassium (for some people), but I don't know how much Powerade you'd need to drink before it had a harmful effect.I think that certain medications and birth control pills can raise potassium levels in some people,so it's important to watch your intake sometimes when taking things like that.

nanski
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by nanski » Sun May 10, 2009 11:10 am

drinks machines in japan tend to have juice in them, usually at least orange and grapefruit and usually some sort of vegetable juice, too. i drink alot of grapefruit juice here.

i hate when people say things like "fruit juice is bad for you." obviously it depends on what it's relative to. compared to fruit, it's true, because juice will lack alot of the fiber of fruit, but as people have pointed out, relative to coke, fruit juice is brilliant!
big hole! big hole! big hole! big man! big man!

DefenderOfPants
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DefenderOfPants

Post by DefenderOfPants » Sun May 10, 2009 7:27 pm

i like odwalla superfood a lot. i don't know if that counts as juice. but it has to be the green one; the other varieties taste awful.

i always have orange juice in the morning. i like florida natural. i'm pretty picky when it comes to orange juice. it has to be the right balance of sweet and tart. i don't mind pulp as long as the orange juice doesn't take on the consistency of a smoothy.

grapefruit juice is good, too.

i like orange tangerine juicy juice, but i have to dilute that shit with water.

stolenwine

Post by stolenwine » Sun May 10, 2009 11:24 pm

i've noticed i get kind of cranky if i don't get my orange juice every morning.
--
stolen wine social

susanb
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/susanb84

Post by susanb » Mon May 11, 2009 12:53 pm

I really need fruit juice or a smoothie for breakfast now too. I prefer making a nice fresh smoothie but if I'm in a rush (or my flatmate's still asleep) then I make do with just juice. I think my current favourites are plain old orange (fresh with bits in) or pressed apple juice. I really like the orange and crushed raspberry juice you get in some places too but it's always really expensive. My current favourite smoothie is pressed apple juice, mixed berries (I've been buying the frozen ones as they're really handy), a banana or sometimes pineapple, then a little natural yoghurt added to make it a a bit more substantial.
I wish I could make this train
go faster than anything

RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Post by RITH » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:18 am

We got this last week:
green-star-elite-gse-5000-components.jpg
It's probably the best juicer in the world. Which it should be at $529.95 of course. But it was a gift, so I don't care it's ridiculously expensive! We made a wonderful raw juice of apple, carrots and kale yesterday.
The Green Star series was developed to extract the maximum amount of naturally healthy juices with all of its vitamins, enzymes, and minerals. Green Star Juicers are ideally suited for many types of fruit, vegetables and leafy greens. In no time at all, you can even process fresh wheatgrass and long-fibred celery stalks into high-quality vital juices.
Juice!