Kitchen Q&A (or, Ask Anorak about cooking and stuff)

recipes, soup, curry, baking, sandwiches, crisps, beer, pubs, alcohol
squirrelboutique

Re: Kitchen Q&A (or, Ask Anorak about cooking and stuff)

Post by squirrelboutique » Thu May 28, 2009 10:13 pm

Also, when my old roommate made those, she used to add a hard grated cheese and breadcrumbs, too.

I don't have her exact recipe because she wouldn't give it to ANYONE.

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Fri May 29, 2009 1:40 pm

Thank you! I didn't do anything with them in the end because it was getting really late and I couldn't face all the chopping and cleaning. They'll keep in the fridge for another couple of days though, won't they, because I found something that looks like your roommate's secret recipe and I'd like to try it out:
Baked Artichokes with Breadcrumbs and Parmesan

* 90 g dry breadcrumbs
* 1 handful grated Parmesan cheese
* 2 tablespoons assorted fresh chopped herbs
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 2 artichokes

To prepare your globe artichokes and follow steps one to three in our preparation guide. While still warm, press the leaves gently back, leaving them attached, so that the artichoke resembled a flower. Pull out the small white and purple centre leaves and scrape out the choke (the fuzzy part) with a spoon. Preheat your oven to 190°C, 375°F, gas mark 5. Mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan, herbs and oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pack the breadcrumb mixture onto the artichoke. Place on a baking dish and bake for 25 minutes or until golden. To eat the artichokes, pull the leaves off and scrape the soft base of the leaf off with your teeth. When you've finished the leaves, eat the rest.
You should make this too and invite your ex-roommate round for dinner.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:11 pm

Oh! I just stumbled on this artichoke recipe while I was recipe hunting last weekend. I've never done anything with millet. Is it good? Also, I can't decide if this recipe is complicated or not, and I have an irrational fear of the spiny things in artichokes.

Millet Stuffed Artichokes

/4 cup (50 g) uncooked millet
1 cup (250 ml) hot vegetable broth
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 large artichokes
1 tablespoon (12 g) kalamata olives pitted and chopped
1 tablespoon (2 g) fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
1 cup (250 ml) vegetable broth
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 lemon, thinly sliced
2 garlic clove, crushed
2 bay leaves

Toast the millet in a small saucepan. When the first grain pops, carefully add the hot vegetable broth. Stir in the salt and oregano, turn down heat to very low, and cover tightly. Cook until all water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit, covered, for at least 5 minutes.

While the millet is cooking, prepare the artichokes. Cut off the top 1/2 to 1-inch with a sharp knife. Cut off enough of the stem so that the artichoke will sit upright. (The stem is edible; peel it and cook it along with the artichokes for an added bonus.) Remove any damaged leaves at the bottom, and cut off the sharp tops of each leaf with kitchen shears.

Use your thumbs to open up the artichoke so that you can see the purple-topped leaves.

Pull out the purple leaves (careful, they're sharp!) Use a serrated spoon to scrape the fuzzy choke off of the artichoke heart. After you've scraped out as much as you can, rinse the artichoke well and either rub it with lemon juice or dip it in a combination of lemon and water to keep the cut edges from becoming brown.

Once the millet is cooked, mix it with the kalamata olives, parsley, pepper, and chopped garlic. Stuff into the cavity of each artichoke.

Place the artichokes upright in a pressure cooker or heavy saucepan (try to find one that they can fit into snugly, so that they're less likely to fall over during cooking). Place a lemon slice over the stuffing in each artichoke. Pour the broth carefully into the pan (try not to splash the stuffing) and carefully add enough water to reach about 1 1/2-inches up the artichokes. Add the remaining lemon slices, the crushed garlic, and the bay leaves to the water.

If you're pressure cooking, seal the cooker and bring to high pressure. Cook for 15 minutes for larger artichokes, 10-12 minutes for smaller. Remove from heat and release pressure using a quick-release method.

If you're not using a pressure cooker, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes.

For both methods: Test the doneness by pulling at one inside leaf; if it comes out easily, the artichokes are done. If not, return to heat, cover, and cook for a few more minutes.

Use tongs or a slotted spoon to remove the artichokes. Serve hot or at room temperature, with lemon slices.

cuppie
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/cuppie

Post by cuppie » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:56 pm

Can someone explain to me why you can't wash a damn mushroom anymore without someone telling you that you should absolutely never wash a mushroom? This is insanity, right? They're dirty so I wash them. And I've always washed mushrooms. I like washing mushrooms! I like the way they swirl around a colander, like little bald heads. But it's not trendy to wash mushrooms anymore, and can someone tell me why? Apparently you're supposed to wipe them with a damp paper towel, but how unsatisfying it is.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:12 pm

cuppie wrote:Can someone explain to me why you can't wash a damn mushroom anymore without someone telling you that you should absolutely never wash a mushroom? This is insanity, right? They're dirty so I wash them. And I've always washed mushrooms. I like washing mushrooms! I like the way they swirl around a colander, like little bald heads. But it's not trendy to wash mushrooms anymore, and can someone tell me why? Apparently you're supposed to wipe them with a damp paper towel, but how unsatisfying it is.
I think it's becaause they think mushrooms soak up the water ... it's bollocks though if you ask me, given they are mostly water anyway and it'll cook off.
In Recordeo Speramus

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:16 pm

They go all slimy.

There's nothing worse than a wet mushroom.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:18 pm

humblebee wrote:They go all slimy.

There's nothing worse than a wet mushroom.
Only if you are going to eat the raw surely.
In Recordeo Speramus

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:33 pm

Uncle Ants wrote:Only if you are going to eat the raw surely.
You still have to touch them.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:35 pm

humblebee wrote:
Uncle Ants wrote:Only if you are going to eat the raw surely.
You still have to touch them.
You big jessy
In Recordeo Speramus

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:39 pm

yea, apparently the DO soak up water, which I can kinda understand.

I don't do anything to em at all nowdays, they're all grown in labs anyway.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

stolenwine
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/

Post by stolenwine » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:29 pm

i wash mushrooms too and they've been fine. i tried the paper towel thing but it's SO time consuming and i prefer laziness.
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

Damian
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/peppermint_fox

Post by Damian » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:58 pm

cuppie wrote:Can someone explain to me why you can't wash a damn mushroom anymore without someone telling you that you should absolutely never wash a mushroom? This is insanity, right? They're dirty so I wash them. And I've always washed mushrooms. I like washing mushrooms! I like the way they swirl around a colander, like little bald heads. But it's not trendy to wash mushrooms anymore, and can someone tell me why? Apparently you're supposed to wipe them with a damp paper towel, but how unsatisfying it is.
This from Snopes : -

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=38792

Seems it's people being a bit silly. I wouldn't know, I've never cooked or washed a mushroom. I hate them.

stolenwine

Post by stolenwine » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:02 pm

hate them? damian! you're a monster! you really can't beat mushrooms fried in garlic and butter with a bit of parsley on 'em.
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

soft revolution
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duncydunc

Post by soft revolution » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:23 pm

I once knew someone who peeled mushrooms! You can sort of grab the edge around the rim and pull strips off to the top, they have a skin like an orange.
And by me, I mean, Flexo.

stolenwine

Post by stolenwine » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:27 pm

holy moly. and i thought i was a weirdo.
--
stolen wine social

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:05 am

stolenwine wrote:holy moly. and i thought i was a weirdo.
The big flat mushrooms I peel, you can't peel button mushrooms. When I was very little I imagined mushroom skin was what pixies made their boots from.
In Recordeo Speramus

Sootyzilla
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sootyzilla

Post by Sootyzilla » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:57 pm

I once went out with someone who bought TINNED MUSHROOMS. :eek:
As wrong as it was to do,
Those eyes were made to look into.

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:31 pm

When we look at a thing, we must examine its essence and treat its appearance merely as an usher at the threshold, and once we cross the threshold, we must grasp the essence of the thing

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:50 pm

Are we still talking about mushrooms here?
In Recordeo Speramus

hayleygerms
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/andyandhayley

Post by hayleygerms » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:24 pm

You know when you cut a mushroom in half and you can see the smooth white inside and the little ridgy bits on the underside? That's what I've always imagined it would look like if you cut a Moomin in half.
you buried my son under a knicker factory