Nuts!

recipes, soup, curry, baking, sandwiches, crisps, beer, pubs, alcohol
Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Re: Nuts!

Post by Gordon » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:58 pm

You can crush walnuts by squeezing two together in your hand. It's fun and exciting.
Toot toot.

wrapyrtroubles
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/egg_fang

Post by wrapyrtroubles » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:48 pm

I just came on here to tell everyone how much I was enjoying my handful of brazil nuts. I was very relieved to find there is already a nut thread otherwise I might have felt a bit embarrassed.

This reminds me of Best in Show.

I think there is a time and a place for every nut. Now, I wouldn't snack on a raw pistache, but they're highly commendable roasted and salted, or used to flavour ice cream - cue sensual exhalation.

I love walnuts, they make a lovely accompaniment to a succulent date, and the nicest cheese I ever had was some kind of red leicester thing with walnuts.

Almonds are a subtle pleasure, I like to enjoy those with a dried fig. Hmm. Or ground and used in cakes, biscuits, and curries.

Hazelnuts, controversial - I know someone whose favourite is the hazelnut and I can't really understand that. Their slightly chewy texture is not ideal for me, I prefer the clean bite of a nut with a higher fat content such as the macadamia. However I would not ban hazelnuts because they are indispensible in various types of confectionary.

What else is there. I like cashews. I didn't used to but I think they are something of a connoisseur's nut - smooth and creamy with a rounded flavour. For some reason it's a family tradition with us to use them in stir fries. They are nice with tamari.

Pecans, hmm, again a bit soft for my liking but the flavour is good and they're a lovely rich brown colour.

Coconut - that's a tasty nut that's also a drink.

I think I've wasted enough time for now. Or perhaps it's not wasted, maybe I have brought a kernel of enlightenment to the board, snarf snarf xx

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:06 pm

Aw, man. I grabbed a handful of nuts today from a jar of mixed nuts at home and I'm stuck at work with at least 9 brazil nuts, making the nut ratio about 3 brazil nuts for every non brazil nut. I hate those big scary nuts.

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:14 pm

squirrelboutique wrote:Also, I love this stupid thread.
You start all the best threads!

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Thu May 03, 2012 4:01 pm

stolenwine wrote:i'm not a fan of the brazil either. it's too big and lumbering and almost...smug.
I'm happy this thread was revived so I could relive my favorite anorak post ever.

RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Post by RITH » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:43 pm

squirrelboutique wrote:Feel free to get all pedanty/pedantish when someone posts here and his or her post is clearly about legumes.
No one has pointed out yet that almonds are not really nuts, but seeds. Also, Brazil nuts (seed), cashews (seed), macadamias (seed), peanuts (pea), pecans (seed), pistachios (seed) and walnuts (seed) are all technically not really nuts. Yes. Let's call them nuts. It just doesn't sound right to say I love eating fruit seeds.

So I´ve been eating tonds of nuts lately, initially in an attempt to replace any other snack craving, but by now I sincerely enjoy snacking on nuts. At work, at home, in the airplane, everywhere.

I have three big glass jars filled with lovely organic, unsalted nuts:
1. Blanched almonds
2. Mixed: hazelnuts, brazil nuts, cashews, almonds with and without skin
3. Walnuts

Every workday I grab a handful from each jar, put them in a ziploc bag and bring them to work.

Does everyone every now and then have one of those awful tasting almonds? Like, disgustingly bitter? They're horrile. I once read somewhere that bitter almonds are very poinsonous (they contain cyanide), but that's a different kind of almond, isn't it? Or is it? I don't know.

Nuts are good, aren't they? Too bad I can't find a store in Almere that sells raw nuts.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:04 pm

RITH wrote:I once read somewhere that bitter almonds are very poinsonous (they contain cyanide), but that's a different kind of almond, isn't it? Or is it? I don't know.

I think that's wild almonds (Wikipedia seems to agree).
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip