Penny Dreadful

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

Dan Pop-o-matic
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic

Penny Dreadful

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Wed May 11, 2016 9:07 pm

Anyone else into the overblown, melodramatic gothic madness of Penny Dreadful? This third series is shaping up to be a belter.

First series took a while to get going but last season was great and just ramped up the insanity gradually before pulling a melancholic ending out of the hat.

Also Eva Green is amazing. And Billie Piper. And Jeremy Irons.
SpoilerShow
Dracula has finally turned up! But I'm sad for Vanessa that it's her new bloke. And mixed race Dr Jekyll!

linus

Re: Penny Dreadful

Post by linus » Fri May 13, 2016 5:29 pm

Inevitably...

This is what I posted on Facebook only the other day... I've put it as a spoiler for added excitement
SpoilerShow
Is anyone watching Penny Dreadful?

I've gone from being a bit sceptical in the first season to being rather overwhelmed by the second season and this third season... oh my golly... it's bobbins and splendidly deliriously overwrought at times (all for the better) and I dig it the most...

I'm especially in awe of Eva Green as Vanessa Ives, who may be my favourite character on the telly right now... and Billie Piper as Brona/Lily isn't far behind... the dude characters are all a bit dull to be fair, with the exception of Rory Kinnear as The Creature (surely everyone had a goth mate like him growing up, didn't they?) and Reeve Carney as party boy Dorian Gray... I do have a soft spot for emo sadsack Dr Frankenstein and Dr Jekyll may turn out to have a bit more about him too (derp!)... and now Dracula's turned up... it is of course very derivative but it's all told with a degree of wit and relish and in such a rich and strange way that I'm hooked right through the jugular and suspended from a ceiling in some dank basement twitching with all my worth.

Yeh, I'm a fan.