Anorak TV- things on telly that may be of interest

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

Sylvie
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Anorak TV- things on telly that may be of interest

Post by Sylvie » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:12 pm

I caught a late-night repeat of the first Sound of Song and thought it was really good. I thought I wouldn't enjoy it from the adverts, although not really sure why...

Not on TV as such, but found something really interesting on Netflix. It's a documentary called Good Ol' Freda, which is about Brian Epstein's secretary and founder of The Beatles fan club in the 1960s. It's not got anything groundbreaking in it, but just had some nice little stories in there.
andyiong wrote:
tonieee wrote:I've seen a million and nine documentaries about the sixties.
I'm still looking forward to it, I think I'm one of those toddlerish people who delight in being told the same things over and over (Again! Again!). Also, I used to be a massive Beach Boys fan and still bear the scars, so it's always fascinating to hear Brian Wilson talking about the recording process. It's usually where he's at his most lucid and interesting these days as well.
Hehe, I think I'm much the same!
Just be nice to me.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:26 pm

Sylvie wrote:Not on TV as such, but found something really interesting on Netflix. It's a documentary called Good Ol' Freda, which is about Brian Epstein's secretary and founder of The Beatles fan club in the 1960s. It's not got anything groundbreaking in it, but just had some nice little stories in there.
I saw that when it was on last Christmas. Can't remember that much about it, but I remember I enjoyed it and I thought she was really nice, it must have been the ultimate fan's dream come true.

Did anyone else follow 'Sound of Song' through to the end? I thought it was pretty good all in all, although there was a bit of a feeling that certain people (Brian Wilson, Steve Albini) were just being wheeled on to say their lines, rather than anything very new and interesting. But Hank Shocklee was really good talking about Public Enemy and, although Neil Brand's wonder at the use of autotune wasn't entirely convincing, I did think 'Believe' worked surprisingly well as a showtune. It was a little bit same old same old after the first one, but I think I could watch the story of 'Good Vibrations' and 'Strawberry Fields Forever' until the end of time. I'll never tire of that video clip of 'There I Go Again' by Whitesnake either.

And did anyone watch Kraftwerk and, if so, was it any good? - I've recorded it but I'm massively behind on general TV stuff so it'd be good to know if it's worth the bother.

I've just started going through this Sleater-Kinney thing on the radio as well, if anyone's interested:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0516lzy
Lots of interviews and Gideon Coe, my favourite 6 Music person - bound to be good!

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:44 am

Kraftwerk was good but I'd like to watch it again as I feel asleep before the end (not because it was boring or anything - I just struggle to watch more than half an hour of TV without falling asleep these days). Thanks for the Sleater-Kinney thing. I've downloaded it to listen to on my way to work this morning.

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:00 pm

That made me want to listen to Sleater-Kinney! I think I would prefer a bit more about the band and the songs rather than the records. I found it interesting that they said they decided to learn to play better for The Hot Rock and then later started making songs that sounded good in stadiums which could be why I find the records after Dig Me Out less interesting.

What they said about The Woods made me want to check that out though (the last one I got was All Hands On The Bad One) and maybe I should give the new one a try too.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:37 pm

tonieee wrote:That made me want to listen to Sleater-Kinney! I think I would prefer a bit more about the band and the songs rather than the records.
Yeah, I've listened to about half of it and it's good, but it feels a bit dry - could do with a bit of gossip and scandal, I reckon!

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:26 pm

andyiong wrote:
tonieee wrote:That made me want to listen to Sleater-Kinney! I think I would prefer a bit more about the band and the songs rather than the records.
Yeah, I've listened to about half of it and it's good, but it feels a bit dry - could do with a bit of gossip and scandal, I reckon!
Well not even that - just a bit more about the band as people, what some of the songs are about, what motivated then to quote them, etc.

Anyway it's made me want to dig out my Heavens To Betty and Bratmobile records too.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:51 pm

tonieee wrote:Kraftwerk was good but I'd like to watch it again as I feel asleep before the end (not because it was boring or anything - I just struggle to watch more than half an hour of TV without falling asleep these days).
Finally got round to watching this and really loved it. I'm not sure why I was so wary of it, something to do with having read books about Kraftwerk where the author would keep saying stuff like "well, after that ... actually, I've no idea what they did after that becasue they wouldn't say a word to me, but I'm sure that they were working jolly hard in the studio...".

But TV is a much better medium for a retrospective, it's not tied to that kind of narrative based idea that music books rely on (and less still those sort of cheap "...and then we vomited in the swimming pool, hell yeah!" style anecdotes that aren't really very Kraftwerk), so you can concentrate on a kind of cultural appreciation on them. Minus side - I'd manage to miss Coldplay ripping off "Computer Love" the first time and didn't appreciate having my nose rubbed in quite so conspicuously.

I found the clip of "Pocket Calculator" - where the band are out from behind their podiums, gyrating and leaning into the audience and being very "rock band", but still wearing the uniforms and make-up - quite shocking. It's funny that by breaking so many rules in the first place, you can suddenly make an interesting statement by conforming to them for a bit.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:12 pm

The Edwyn Collins film is on tonight on Film 4. 11.25 if I recall it right.