'Orrors

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

Damian
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/peppermint_fox

Re: 'Orrors

Post by Damian » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:19 pm

It's been ages since I've posted in this thread, I've seen no end of horror movies in recent months. The horror channel on sky is a great source of low budget great things, and classics that I missed first time around, for example Lair Of The White Worm, which suprised me by being a much stranger film then I'd expected. It even succeeds despite having quite a laughable main monster. It pulls off eerie scottish town really well, plus the theme song is one of the catchiest things you'll ever hear.

They recently showed Maniac Cop which is one of my favourite horrors. I've only ever seen it maybe 2 or 3 times, but it's so, so good. Bruce Campbell! 80's synths! A really good storyline with some ridiculous bits for good measure, I love the fact that for a while it's part murder mystery.

Much further ago they showed Hatchet For The Honeymoon which I'd not seen before, also totally great. Suprisingly funny; I'd not expected that. It's oddly camp. There's farcical elements to it. The main guy's wife is absolutely hilarious and it has a great payoff ending, and an interesting reason for why the killings are being performed in the first place.

Last night I watched REC 2 which I really liked but which didn't scare me in the same way REC did, but it's nice to see a direct sequel for a change, rather then same killer - different cast. Perhaps it's knowing the premise and kind of anticipating the scares that makes it less effective. That said It's really well directed, and there's not much wrong with it, it's just not quite as good as the first.

This week is the Mayhem Horror Festival so should hopefully have lots more to talk about.

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:13 pm

Damian wrote:This week is the Mayhem Horror Festival so should hopefully have lots more to talk about.
A year later, I've done a write-up of the following Mayhem Festival, and since it's taken me five hours to write, I'm going to damn well post a link to it!

Mayhem X on [SIC] Blog

The Canal was my favourite. Lovely and scary.

Dan Pop-o-matic
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:13 pm

Dunno how it happened, but Walking Dead has gone from something I could take or leave to being genuinely great recently. This new episode was especially brilliant. I was a bit teary towards the end to tell the truth.

linus

Post by linus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:58 am

TWD deffo boffo at the momo... normally I find series where people spend a lot of time escaping from then getting into peril then escaping from then getting into peril superannoying and easily ditchable but The Walking Dead rises above that by making the peril come from every conceivable angle and in creating a highly believable post-zombie apocalypse world that you can almost smell... it's a world that's far more real and far less fanciful than The Coronation Street's North or The East Ender's East End of London... and the characters are better realised, more consistent and more well-rounded... and I feel less dirty watching it even if there's a lot of misery, evisceration of guts, graphic beheadings and limb loppings, casual sadism and an actual baby who may get eaten in every episode...

I love Daryl and Caryl but my heart belongs to Michonne

'Wolves Not Far'

Big Nose

Post by Big Nose » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:46 pm

I watched "And Soon The Darkness" last night. Written by Brian "The Professionals" Clemens and Terry "Exterminate!" Nation, and starring (briefly) Frank Spencer's wife. I wasn't expecting much, but it was very creepy and claustrophobic despite beautifully shot wide open French vistas. The un-subtitled French dialogue added to the tension, and although the ending was a tad predictable it was still satisfying. I'd recommend this one.
My apple pies go off today.

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:31 pm

Still loving The Walking Dead, even if the flaws around characterisation continue to be there a bit. Rick and Carol have become genuinely interesting though. It's possible that they're the antagonists now (well, apart from the hordes of ambulatory corpses).

Spoilers for the last episode:
SpoilerShow
They're quite quick to kill of black characters aren't they? Cutty from the Wire a few weeks ago and Chris from Everybody Hates Chris this week. (I've genuinely forgotten the first guy's name). Noah maybe had the most horrific death of a "main" character so far

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:21 pm

Dan Pop-o-matic wrote:
SpoilerShow
They're quite quick to kill of black characters aren't they? Cutty from the Wire a few weeks ago and Chris from Everybody Hates Chris this week. (I've genuinely forgotten the first guy's name). Noah maybe had the most horrific death of a "main" character so far
SpoilerShow
Yeah, that was brutal! It's a shame because for a while there they probably had one of the better mixes of race on a big TV show. It's particularly white round that new place.

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:50 am

Any of you seen The Babadook? Watched it last night and found it genuinely unsettling and scary, which I've not been able to say about an 'orror for a while.
SpoilerShow
Possibly made even scarier by the fact that it may all just be Amelia's head, what with Mr Babadook being a metaphor for grief and mental illness.

linus

Post by linus » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:47 pm

I watched 'Eden Lodge' this afternoon, which is a Brit made low budget hack and slash that has nothing to do with that other Brit made low budget hack and slash, 'Eden Lake', other than it has 'Eden' in the title and that 'Lodge' references/rips off the poster of 'Lake' in their poster in homage to the earlier film, presumably...

What I learned from 'Eden Lodge' is:

Don't go into the woods as it's getting dark
Bear traps are hard to see in the woods in the dark
Don't get somebody to release your bloody leg from the bear trap who perhaps isn't strong enough to quite prize the 'jaws' of it apart... because it will snap back on your leg (I laughed at this bit, I'm not sure I was supposed to)
Don't get shot in the head... very important
Don't try to escape with your friend's brains on your face if your leg has been bust in two and you can't move very quick by running into a poorly lit road... because cars
Don't, if you're a driver, assume you've hit a deer when there's a lot of blood on the road and no dead deer about to confirm this
Don't- and this is important- take advice on where to stay for the night from a cheerful but menacing country bumpkin type who just happens to appear by your broken down car in the middle of the night
Don't, if your marriage is in trouble and tensions are high, go on holiday to Eden Lodge... even if the holiday is forced on you... because cars
Always knock on the door of shared bathrooms lest you walk in on the hawt but deranged American girl with no back story barely wrapped in a towel
Don't talk to Australian hikers who've come into the garden of Eden Lodge to get some water from a pond... mostly because the conversation will be very forced and he'll invite you over to his tent to smoke drugs (the real lesson here is actually don't smoke, if the character who ends up talking to the Australian hiker didn't need to go out for a fag he'd never have met the Australian hiker and things might have turned out slightly better for everyone concerned... but then again perhaps not)
Don't smoke drugs with Australian hikers, especially ones who carry a knife
Don't do Diazepam, the dreams you have will be very vivid
Don't attempt to get off Diazepam by pouring them all down the sink and then initiating sex with your errant husband because someone will be watching through the windows and then he'll have to go outside in his pants to remonstrate (not a euph.)
Don't talk to the buff but menacing but ultimately not very menacing handyman in a vest
Likewise if you're a buff but menacing but ultimately not very menacing handyman in a vest don't follow another man's wife into the woods to check she's ok
Don't wake up in a polythene bag with your arm sawed off in the hope an Australian hiker will rescue you
Don't get hit on the head with a shovel when you've realised you really love your wife and tiny wee baby
Don't let just anyone babysit your tiny wee baby
Do, if you get covered in gore, take off your jumper to wipe your face and then spend the rest of the film running around in a blood soaked vest even though it's night time and probably quite chilly (perhaps this is don't rather than do?)
Don't actually refer to the film 'Reservoir Dogs' in your film if you don't want people to think, 'now that was quite a good film... unlike...'
Don't wear headphones in the outdoor jacuzzi in the middle of the night... especially at Eden Lodge...
Do make sure you're in the AA or RAC so if you're car breaks down you can get your vehicle recovered to wherever it is you need to go but definitely don't go to Eden Lodge
Don't go to Eden Lodge on a specific anniversary of a tragic event... perhaps phone ahead to check that your booking doesn't concide with some significant but dreadful date in the calendar
Don't look like Dapper Rhymes while trying to be the sympathetic but troubled lead in a horror film called 'Eden Lodge'
Do explain why the hawt but deranged American girl is staying at 'Eden Lodge' so she has some back story... perhaps there was some back story... I don't think there was any back story
Don't use a shop mannequin as the stunt double for your killer when they get run over at the end of the film... because chuckles

All in all a resounding 2/5

I feel cheapened by the experience

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:46 pm

Anyone else seen It Follows? Watched it the other night and thought it was aces. Great premise used for genuinely unsettling effect throughout.

I love how the director uses every inch of the frame and every background detail to increase the dread.

tompony

Post by tompony » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:42 pm

I really liked it too. Excellent atmosphere, and the soundtrack worked really well. Definitely lived up to the hype.

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:44 am

Getting well into me 'orrors again at the moment. Watched Creep, Let's Scare Jessica To Death and The Woman on Sunday. All had stuff to recommend them.

Really enjoyed Housebound recently too. As much a comedy as a horror but has one of the most awesomely capable female protagonists I've seen for a while. Plus its actually funny and scary.

tompony

Post by tompony » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:04 am

I really liked Creep and Housebound. I've been meaning to check out Let's Scare Jessica To Death ever since I spotted it on Netflix but I've got such a ridiculous backlog of DVDs to get through that I keep neglecting the streaming stuff.

I'm about 40 films into this year's horror marathon at this point! Here's my list / ratings, since I geekily log all this stuff. The only one of these I'd seen before was Poltergeist.
Amer ★★★½
Cat's Eye ★★★½
Vampires ★★★
Peeping Tom ★★½
The Mist ★★★★
Subspecies ★★½
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 ★★★★
The Descent ★★★★½
The Innocents ★★★★
The Comedy of Terrors ★★½
Poltergeist ★★★★½
Drag Me to Hell ★★★½
Silver Bullet ★★★
Resolution ★★★
Creepshow ★★★½
House 2: The Second Story ★★★
House III: The Horror Show ★★★½
The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue ★★★★½
Satan War ★½
Dead of Night ★★★★
Dead Sushi ★★★
Them ★★★½
Hellraiser ★★★★★
Kuroneko ★★★★
Tales of Terror ★★★★½
Eyes Without a Face ★★★★
The Babadook ★★★½
Deathgasm ★★★★
German Angst ★★½
The Witch ★★★½
AAAAAAAAH! ★★★½
Bloodstone: Subspecies II ★★★
Castle Freak ★★★
Prince of Darkness ★★★½
Wyrmwood ★★★
Devil Story ★★★½
Cigarette Burns ★★★½
Dr. Phibes Rises Again ★★★½
World War Z ★★
The Shadow of the Cat ★★★½
Bloodlust: Subspecies III ★★★

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:45 am

Heresy on "Peeping Tom" there.

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:55 am

Was going to watch Deathgasm at Celluloid Screams on Sunday but couldn't financially justify it. It's good then?

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:59 am

andyi wrote:Heresy on "Peeping Tom" there.
Yup. One of my favourite films.

tompony

Post by tompony » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:01 pm

andyi wrote:Heresy on "Peeping Tom" there.
I know. I'm not sure what happened, I've loved the other Michael Powell films that I've seen but it just really, really didn't click with me. I actually found it quite upsetting that I didn't enjoy it as it was one of the main films I was looking forward to seeing this month.
Dan Pop-o-matic wrote:Was going to watch Deathgasm at Celluloid Screams on Sunday but couldn't financially justify it. It's good then?
It's ace! I saw it at the Nottingham horror festival. A lot of fun. Really nails the mix of gore / comedy, all of the metal jokes are very funny (even to somebody who knows very little about metal) and the cast are excellent.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:26 pm

tompony wrote:I know. I'm not sure what happened, I've loved the other Michael Powell films that I've seen but it just really, really didn't click with me. I actually found it quite upsetting that I didn't enjoy it as it was one of the main films I was looking forward to seeing this month.
I wasn't that keen first time round, so it might be worth another go in a bit. Very weird and creepily intense, and a great score.
Interesting backstory as well, about how it both paved the way for (the overrated in my opinion) "Psycho" but ruined Powell's career.

Seen "Eyes Without A Face" (note the avatar) and "Drag Me To Hell" from that list. Think you're a touch mean to the latter: it is daft Raimi fluff, but very good daft Raimi fluff, and a rather neat example of the "anti-capitalism in horror flicks" theme.

tompony

Post by tompony » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:43 pm

I'm not really a Raimi fan, so that's about as positive as I get for him. I'd definitely say it's one of his best films though, and I did enjoy it quite a bit.

I liked the ending of Peeping Tom and it looked really fantastic (as usual) but I really struggled to get on with most of the cast. The leading actor especially just didn't seem to fit the role at all. Obviously I'm in the minority on that one though.

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:18 pm

I love It Follows and here's an article discussing a single scene which sums up part of its genius:
http://www.avclub.com/article/even-expo ... ner-227472

Mild spoilers if you don't know the concept of the film.