TV Quick: talk about things on telly succinctly

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Re: TV Quick: talk about things on telly succinctly

Post by tonieee » Tue May 05, 2015 1:33 pm

crystalball wrote:Anyone been watching all that slow telly stuff on BBC Four? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02q34z8. It's the greatest thing that's ever happened. Chris Watson's Dawn Chorus and the glass programme particularly, but yeah, God.
I nearly watched the Dawn Chorus one but didn't in end. I'll have to watch it on catch up.

knibbles
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by knibbles » Wed May 06, 2015 6:41 pm

crystalball wrote:Anyone been watching any of that slow telly stuff on BBC Four? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02q34z8. It's the greatest thing that's ever happened. Chris Watson's Dawn Chorus and the glass programme particularly, but yeah, God.
I watched the canal boat one for about half an hour but I was getting annoyed because if I was on that canal boat I'd have been turning and nebbing in to all those posh back gardens they passed, rather than just looking forward all the time. It was like going on a boating holiday with an acute neck injury. It should have had an option of panning the camera around, but I don't know if tellys do that yet.
Daddy is dead on a sunshine day

This Is Helena

Post by This Is Helena » Thu May 07, 2015 8:49 pm

knibbles wrote:
crystalball wrote:Anyone been watching any of that slow telly stuff on BBC Four? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02q34z8. It's the greatest thing that's ever happened. Chris Watson's Dawn Chorus and the glass programme particularly, but yeah, God.
I watched the canal boat one for about half an hour but I was getting annoyed because if I was on that canal boat I'd have been turning and nebbing in to all those posh back gardens they passed, rather than just looking forward all the time. It was like going on a boating holiday with an acute neck injury. It should have had an option of panning the camera around, but I don't know if tellys do that yet.
I had to look up the word 'nebbing' in the slang dictionary at work. It's times like this that I quite like my job. Now I have an extra word in my vocabulary unless nebbing has pushed out another word. Time will tell I suppose.
be popular play pop

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Mon May 25, 2015 10:42 pm

Vastly enjoying the well deserved hatchet job on Churchill in "When Britain Said No". Almost as much fun as looking at all the Tories on Twitter in shock that someone might have a pop at him rather than kissing his arse. Presumably there's a good way of getting your arse handed to you by the British electorate.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:23 pm

Bit gutted that 'Revenge' has finished. On the other hand, you got to see someone put thousands of volts through Courtney Love in the last episode. A pretty good trade off all in all.

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:33 pm

I think Teen Titans Go! is the funniest thing on telly at the moment. It reminds me of all the ace cartoons that Cartoon Network used to make in the olden days (and still may do - we don't get it anymore, if it even still exists).

This Is Helena

Post by This Is Helena » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:04 pm

Anyone else watching Humans?
be popular play pop

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:29 pm

Yeah, though I haven't seen tonight's yet. At first, I was thinking that it was kinda sorta okay, getting drawn in in the way that I usually do with British dramas, half heartedly and with little connection to the characters, but stubbornly refusing not to watch it right through to the very last second.

But last week, there was the whole thing with the glitchy robots getting the shit beaten out of them and then the young woman robot who's gone psycho and the bit at the end with the copper, well… it actually started to be pretty good. Still a bit clunky but definitely promising. And a good hint that William Hurt will get drawn into the main plot (though Rebecca Front is rather wasted as his mean nurse, she feels a bit miscast).

It's starting to feel a bit less like it's just a bunch of cheap "hey, robots, humans, how will they get along?" scenarios and a bit more like it's going to explore some of the more interesting implications that it brings up. Though that whole Anita sex object thing is increasingly creeping me out.

So, erm, yeah!

linus

Post by linus » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:46 pm

I'm very much enjoying 'Humans', it reminds me of 'Utopia' and has a few parallels (beyond Neil Maskell being in both), I like how it's set sort of now but in a parallel reality and I like the awkward uncomfortableness of it (adult themes)... the cast is very good indeed, it's got lots of actors in it I really like (Maskell, but also Danny Webb, Katherine Parkinson, Rebecca Front, Paul Kaye) and lots of new (to me) actors who are all rather splendid... it looks lovely and sounds lovely too... I'm looking forward to each new episode... it's a hit, as far as I'm concerned, which probably means inevitably that very few people are watching and they'll be no plans for any further series

It's based on a Swedish TV show and I'd like to see that, so how they compare

I like the icyness of it and the aforementioned awkwardness, this and 'Not Safe For Work' are really good, when Channel 4 can be arsed they can apparently still turn out interesting fings, both programmes are rather better representations of Cameron's Britain than much else you'll find on Brit telly right now... not that that's saying much

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:56 pm

Who's Paul Kaye then? As in Dennis Pennis Paul Kaye? I'd heard he was in it but I haven't had a chance to watch it since and figure out who he is.

linus

Post by linus » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:08 am

That Paul Kaye, yes, also seen recently in 'Game of Thrones', 'Inside No 9' and 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell', in 'Humans' he's a sort of synth bootlegger, wiping memories of presumably illegally purloined synths and then putting them back out on the market (semi to not at all legitimately), he's a bit of a rascal, he's not been in all the episodes

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:17 am

Ahhhhh, is he the kind of hairy one who got beat up? I didn't recognise him when he's not all scrubbed up and squeaky clean.

Didn't notice the guy out of 'Utopia' either til you mentioned him (the angry copper type?). They are a bit similar I suppose, though Humans isn't as stylish or violent, but certainly they've both got that same queasy, seedy unpleasantness about them. That being a good thing.

This Is Helena

Post by This Is Helena » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:26 am

I've found DVDs of the Swedish version but none with English subtitles. I'm really enjoying this show. I don't watch a lot of drama on TV but this has managed to hold my interest. The idea of where the line is between machines and humans is, for me, one of the most interesting because of the ethical questions it raises. (That sounded like a sentence in my head. Never mind)
SpoilerShow
I'm intrigued by the character of Karen (the police synth) because she seems to be different from the other synths and no one else (so far) seems to know that she isn't human.
There was an interesting documentary on BBC4 last night about the US leaving Vietnam: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... in-vietnam
be popular play pop

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:48 pm

This Is Helena wrote:
SpoilerShow
I'm intrigued by the character of Karen (the police synth) because she seems to be different from the other synths and no one else (so far) seems to know that she isn't human.
SpoilerShow
Having watched this week's show now, it feels odd because you can see all the little synth ticks and mannerism about her, and now I'm wondering if they weren't there before and they're just playing them up now, or they were there a little bit and now they're exaggerating them to make it more obvious. Though I'm not quite so arsed as to go back and watch the other one's again. But I agree, she's one to watch.

And it continues to improve I think - the family clichés (sulky teenage girl, rocky marriage, etc) of the earlier programmes seem to have formed a base for a much more interesting exploration of the issues, being skewed by this odd dynamic with the robots who aren't "real" but kind of are.

Anyway, I thought it was a really good episode.

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:58 pm

Yeah, lot of enthusiasm for Humans in our house too. Would love to see the Swedish one too!

The one out of the IT Crowd who plays the lawyer/mum, she's brilliant - excellent character, great performance. I like the performances of all the people playing the synths, cos they manage not to overdo it - and Rebecca Front is chillingly great, isn't she? (Only one I'm not really enjoying is the bloke cop, Pete - bit hammy, or a bit of a mismatch between actor and character, not sure, doesn't quite fall right though.)

The only reason I started watching Not Safe For Work is it's got Vod out of Fresh Meat in and she's amazing. I sort of expected to be turned off by that great 21st century amoral taint that characterises most of what Channel 4 does but it hasn't quite happened. I'm sort of liking it.

linus

Post by linus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:38 pm

I love Not Safe For Work (have I gone on about it here already? I can't remember, I've going on about it a lot to anyone who'll listen or even if they're just there and I can drone on in their general presence, whether they're listening or not). Zawe Ashton is magnificent and I love Sacha Dhawan as Danny, he's so fucked and broken. And I dig that he's Asian and that's the least integral thing about him, unlike so many representations of "Asians" on Telly who have to tick so many boxes so viewers can nod and say, 'ah, because he's Asian', things like family and religion and weighty issues about identity, that sort of shorthand that seems more like stereotyping, but Danny just wants to get off his face and get away with doing not very much work, or any... is that a smart bit of writing and telly making? I think it is, but tell me if I'm talking shite

The dude in it, the 'love interest', I thought he was a bit bland to begin with, he's getting more interesting, since he took up smoking again, he's still an entitled prick but then so am I so I can't hate him, I can feel a bit sad for him, feel like 'why don't you just wise up?', the questions I ask myself... and I recognise that he's a prick, essentially, but he's become a bit more three dimensional

In respect of Humans and the copper fella, I think I like that he grates a bit, he's very human in that he's all flaws and being a dick, compared to the synths his deficiencies are all too apparent, I think that's why I think Neil Maskell's quite good for the part because he seems to revel in roles where he plays characters who can be quite appalling, other actors would want to portray the character as sympathetic... I dunno... I'm watching an awful lot of telly at the moment...hopefully it's because there's a lot of good telly on, rather than I've become (more of a) couch potato and am thunking too hard about telly

linus

Post by linus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:50 pm

Looking at some photos online of the Swedish version, the synths look terrifying, proper synthetic looking, shiny (much more so than in the UK version)... yikes!

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:32 pm

I'd avoided NSFW up until now because I couldn't be arsed to commit to two Channel 4 things at once and I always have serious reservations about anything calling itself comedy these days, but I just watched last night's episode and it's funny as fuck, the first thing on TV that's made me properly laugh for ages.

Danny is such a great character, so brilliantly, gloriously shambolic and useless, but with more than enough boyish charm and good luck to make him loveable rather than just a bit rubbish. Really looking forward to catching up with the rest now.

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:13 am

i want to see how that tv adaptation of "the man in the high castle" is

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:03 am

this clump of trees wrote:i want to see how that tv adaptation of "the man in the high castle" is
Yeah, me too, but I can't see me being arsed unless it comes on normal TV rather than pay per view. I've generally not been that impressed with P K D adaptations post Blade Runner.