The Whedonverse

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

Elvistears
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:26 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/elvistears
Location: Glasgow

Post by Elvistears » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:49 pm

davo wrote:I bought Buffy season 6 in New York last week for the paltry sum of $20.

alas, i dont own 4 or 5, i don't think i can bring myself to buy season 4 until i can get it for mere pence.

Season 4 is far, far better in retrospect. Give it another try.
I didn't get into this until the 6th season. Although some of the episodes of that were rather tiresome, there were some fantastic episodes too. I think the episode where Buffy imagines she's in a mental hospital is the best in any series - particularly the ending.

User avatar
Contravene
Posts: 1384
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:14 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: This London
Contact:

Post by Contravene » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:09 pm

Hobart Paving wrote:
davo wrote:Season 4 is far, far better in retrospect. Give it another try.
I didn't get into this until the 6th season. Although some of the episodes of that were rather tiresome, there were some fantastic episodes too. I think the episode where Buffy imagines she's in a mental hospital is the best in any series - particularly the ending.
Aye that one and the silent one where everyone loses their voice

User avatar
darvé
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve
Location: London

Post by darvé » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:10 pm

Hobart Paving wrote:
davo wrote:I bought Buffy season 6 in New York last week for the paltry sum of $20.

alas, i dont own 4 or 5, i don't think i can bring myself to buy season 4 until i can get it for mere pence.

Season 4 is far, far better in retrospect. Give it another try.
I didn't get into this until the 6th season. Although some of the episodes of that were rather tiresome, there were some fantastic episodes too. I think the episode where Buffy imagines she's in a mental hospital is the best in any series - particularly the ending.
Better than 6? or just better in general?

I remember the first half not being too bad, but i thought the last few episodes were probably the worst of all 7 seasons.. and no-one likes Riley do they? Poor Marc Blucas.

I havent seen it for years though.. When i see it cheap enough i'll get it, but i need to finish re-watching seasons 1-3 first, about 2/3 of the way through season 1 at the monent.. Looking forward to Spike and Drusilla pissing all over season 2.

not literally of course

Elvistears
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:26 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/elvistears
Location: Glasgow

Post by Elvistears » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:25 pm

no, just better in general than you remember it.

I thought season 7 was the worst. Along with season 5 of Angel. It was definitely time to stop with both.

The soldier-boys thing isn't quite as tedious in retrospect. I don't know if that's just because I remember it as being really awful, though.

Elvistears
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:26 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/elvistears
Location: Glasgow

Post by Elvistears » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:28 pm

Contravene wrote:
Hobart Paving wrote: Aye that one and the silent one where everyone loses their voice
I was thinking about that one as I wrote that, and trying to decide which one I liked best! The "gentlemen" were the only really frightening monster to feature in Buffy, from what I remember.

dear rose
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:40 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Dalston

Post by dear rose » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:47 pm

I remember nearly wetting my pants after the episode in series one where a bunch of em start acting like.... leopards? or something, and anyway they eat the principal.

I had nightmares for weeks! But I was only 13 (and a very wimpy 13) when I saw it, so I hope I can be excused.

Is it really sad that I girly squeal whenever I see Alan Tudyk aka Wash from Serenity/Firefly in a film? I can't help it... he's just far too good looking. um.

User avatar
darvé
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve
Location: London

Post by darvé » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:36 am

I just spent most of the weekend re-watching Buffy season 2, just got up to 'Ted' last night which was a lot better as a stand alone episode than i remember.

2 things struck me during the first half of the season -

1/ Ethan Rayne should have been in the show more, his appearances were far too sporadic.
2/ Theres serious competition for 'seasons worst accent' between Drusilla and Kendra.

Kendra would shade the win.

User avatar
crystalball
Posts: 5197
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:04 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters
Location: That London
Contact:

Post by crystalball » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:40 am

I've no idea what you are talking about, davo. YET. I'd never watched Buffy before in my life but I borrowed season 1 for the Christmas holiday. I am half-way through it and I love it. I've saved the other half to watch tonight while everyone will be out partying and I'll be home on my own.

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10528
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Post by humblebee » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:46 am

Did anything ever happen with that spin-off series that was gonna focus around Giles? Or was it scuppered by the lure of Little Britain?

User avatar
darvé
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve
Location: London

Post by darvé » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:39 pm

humblebee wrote:Did anything ever happen with that spin-off series that was gonna focus around Giles? Or was it scuppered by the lure of Little Britain?
They've been talking about that ever since it finished havent they.. it says it's all on according to Wikipedia. I wont be holding my breath though, Anthony Head always seems to be busy doing various things and Joss Whedon, i think post Serenity said he wanted to take a bit of a break from everything


crystalball wrote:I've no idea what you are talking about, davo. YET. I'd never watched Buffy before in my life but I borrowed season 1 for the Christmas holiday. I am half-way through it and I love it. I've saved the other half to watch tonight while everyone will be out partying and I'll be home on my own.
Oh, it gets SO much better than season 1.. you're in for a great time.

Does anyone own seasons 4 or 5? i think i'll need to get my hands on these sooner rather than later as i seem to have got myself sucked in again.

User avatar
crystalball
Posts: 5197
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:04 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters
Location: That London
Contact:

Post by crystalball » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:57 pm

N00b here is getting really hooked. I watch a couple of episodes every morning as soon as I am out of bed, so I might have to resign from work to feed my habit. Or, y'know, be late for it.

Anyway, the Internet demon episode was really daft but I guess it was of its time and the IT teacher was looking *great*. I loved the Angel one and the Witch one - those were ace. Really looking forward to season 2.

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10528
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Post by humblebee » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:38 pm

Caught the last episode of season 3 on some obscure cable channel the other day. I'd forgotten what a great baddie Mayor Wilkins was. And how bad the CGI was when he did his transformy thing!

User avatar
darvé
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve
Location: London

Post by darvé » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:38 pm

humblebee wrote:Caught the last episode of season 3 on some obscure cable channel the other day. I'd forgotten what a great baddie Mayor Wilkins was. And how bad the CGI was when he did his transformy thing!

yesterday? about midday? we watched that episode on one channel then turned over to something else for the last 2 epsiodes of Firefly.

That CGI is really bad isn't it, but the mayor was ace, right down to the last words he spoke.. I love Oz's twee 'we made it through highschool' moment that lasted all of 2, maybe 3 seconds as well.

last night i watched the Surprise/Innocence season 2 middway double bill, i seemed to remember the Judge being in it for longer before, but they really are fantastic episodes. Season 2 is just great

User avatar
La-Di-Da
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:10 pm
Location: The 'Shire

Post by La-Di-Da » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:40 pm

I've almost finished series 5 of Angel again.
I love series 5 so much.
"My little prince!"

Marianthi!
I'm so glad you're watching Buffy.
I vote we all have a Buffy weekender pyjama sleepover party.
I'll make a lovely pie and we can watch nothing but Buffy and Angel all weekend.
In our pyjamas.
Eating pie.

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10528
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Post by humblebee » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:50 pm

davo wrote:yesterday? about midday? we watched that episode on one channel then turned over to something else for the last 2 epsiodes of Firefly.

That CGI is really bad isn't it, but the mayor was ace, right down to the last words he spoke.. I love Oz's twee 'we made it through highschool' moment that lasted all of 2, maybe 3 seconds as well.
Yeah, I think it was about then. Great character, great series. It's such a shame they tried to go mainstream and focus groupy afterwards with all that Initiative nonsense.

Jaynie, that is the best idea anyone has had since a tall, diffident Scotsman decided indiepop and heritage railways would be a winning combination.

islandhopper
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:44 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein
Location: I belong to Glasgow

Post by islandhopper » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:39 pm

humblebee wrote:Did anything ever happen with that spin-off series that was gonna focus around Giles? Or was it scuppered by the lure of Little Britain?
Still in the pipeline apparently.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a82278 ... tment.html

It's been still in the pipeline for bloody ages now though!

User avatar
crystalball
Posts: 5197
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:04 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters
Location: That London
Contact:

Post by crystalball » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:33 pm

Woh! I've just watched the last episode of season 1: it was amazing. I am sorry to go on about it but I've lived a sheltered life and this was just... woh.

Let's have the Buffy weekend round mine! I can get my friend from work to lend us her complete series boxset and we can get to pick favourite episodes and stuff. I can't believe I am getting so sucked in.

islandhopper
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:44 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein
Location: I belong to Glasgow

Post by islandhopper » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:34 am

crystalball wrote:Woh! I've just watched the last episode of season 1: it was amazing. I am sorry to go on about it but I've lived a sheltered life and this was just... woh.

Let's have the Buffy weekend round mine! I can get my friend from work to lend us her complete series boxset and we can get to pick favourite episodes and stuff. I can't believe I am getting so sucked in.
If you were that excited by season 1, then you really do have a lot to look forward to! It only gets better from here on in (almost).

User avatar
crystalball
Posts: 5197
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:04 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters
Location: That London
Contact:

Post by crystalball » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:30 am

Me again. Started on season 2 of Buffy last night. It's a billion times more interesting that season 1 and a gazillion times sexier and darker. It's going to be hard to do anything else this week.

User avatar
La-Di-Da
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:10 pm
Location: The 'Shire

Post by La-Di-Da » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:41 am

Season 2 is EXCELLENT.
You're well gonna be glued to your telly.

On ebay you can buy the Buffy complete collection 1-7 on DVD for £47 plus p&p and the Angel complete collection 1-5 for £45 plus p&p.

That's well good.
I might do it next payday.
Then I can offload my VHS collection to a charity shop.

PS I well fancy Connor.
Don't tell anyone.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest