The Whedonverse

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

Final Loan
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: The Whedonverse

Post by Final Loan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 15:54

Dollhouse is cancelled.

At least they got a second series... More than Firefly got...
I may be ugly and hate-filled but... wait, what was the third thing you said?

Pockets Filled With Matches are no more, but we still have copies of our e.p. 'If Time Heals You' for sale, if you'd like one

aorta

Post by aorta » Thu Nov 12, 2009 17:31

I wonder if there will be a movie to wrap up the loose ends.

Maybe Whedon will stop writing shows for Fox or at least write shows that only last for one season from the start.
IT狂人
if i could change your mind, i'd really love to break your heart

darvé
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve

Post by darvé » Thu Nov 12, 2009 21:50

Or maybe Fox will stop scheduling his shows in the Friday night Death Slot.

Either way, it comes as no great surprise does it. I havent actually seen any of season 2, but i hear it got a lot better.
and that snare drum, that drum roll
means we've got a winner

quaycur

Post by quaycur » Wed Nov 25, 2009 01:17

I'm rather glad the series is getting canceled. There have been a few good episodes, and the last one (the Sierra episode) was fantastic, but for me he hasn't done enough to off-set the creepiness of the premise with actual critique to make the show not exploitative at it's core. It seems he's been just trying to walk that line -that look!at!all!the!sexy!girls! vs exploitation is bad, m'kay? line- in a way that lets him have it both ways, and it just doesn't work. Plus, as much as I like Eliza, she just doesn't have the range to carry the show as a lead. I think the woman playing Sierra is far, far more compelling, and when you want to skip the major character's arch and just watch the secondaries you know a show is in trouble.

I'm glad it's getting canceled because he's capable of so much better, and I want him to maybe lick his wounds and come back swinging with another Firefly. And you know, maybe stop working with friggin' Fox.
boys have a godstick, girls have a shamecave

aorta

Post by aorta » Thu Dec 10, 2009 03:14

The last two new episodes have some great moments.
IT狂人
if i could change your mind, i'd really love to break your heart

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Sat Aug 31, 2013 22:17

Just watched The Body episode of Buffy tonight - bloody great TV! We both cried all the way through it.

linus

Post by linus » Fri Jan 10, 2014 00:40

very much after the event but hayley got the 'dollhouse' box for christmas and as a result we've watched the lot over the last few weeks... we both liked it a lot, it is bobbins and, yeh, it starts off a bit 'ho hum' and the premise is creepy but that's no reason to hate the programme... I mean I watched 'tenko' as a youth and I didn't sit there thinking 'ugh, women in a japanese prisoner of war camp, that's creepy therefore this is shit', I appreciate 'tenko' is historical and based on fact but I'm watching science fiction, I expect things to be a bit dystopian, to have a menacing hook to hang all the fun on... so, to get my point across I didn't watch 'planet of the apes' and think 'oh god, the monkeys are in charge and talking... I hate bossy chatty monkeys... off!' or watch 'logans run' and think 'everybody dies when they're 30, I'm 44, this is offensive rubbish', I understood that if the premise is this one thing, me watching it doesn't mean I approve or condone that one thing... d'ye ken? I think I've made my point... and brilliantly

it's clearly bobbins, it's a sort of paranoid techy 'charlie's angels' was my first observation to a clearly fascinated hayley, she thanked me and I explained further, 'in that the main character is dropped into a different environment and plot each week and there's an adventure', obviously as the series goes on that shifts to something else, a bigger story arc (I believe they call them)... but as a piece of entertainment I found it very agreeable, the cast was good to ace, the twists and suspense pleasing if sometimes supremely daft (the former) and occasionally collapsing under the weight of their own set up (the latter) or tidied up too cleanly and quickly (both)

it's by no means perfect but, for me, the two whedon tv series cut short (this and 'firefly') are the ones I prefer... 'buffy' and 'angel' have some great episodes but the entire series taken as a whole could benefit from some pruning and (particularly in the case of 'buffy') benefit from the more adult approach of the two shorter series

that said I like the contrast between the darker side of, ahem, the whedonverse, and it's more wide-eyed, innocent, sweeter qualities... when fantasy telly of this type gets deliberately dark and strictly adult it looks- despite it's best intentions- even more adolescent, but in a mouth-breathy really creepy but tiresome 'have I shocked you yet?' way

as somebody who avoided all things joss whedon until the last few years (I was keeping it real), I now really dig the comic book crackle appeal of his work... 'cabin in the woods' effing rules

yeh, I'm a nerd