Mad Men

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

Richard
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/richarddsfar

Re: Mad Men

Post by Richard » Mon Jan 12, 2009 19:08

Mad Men!

It's awesome, ain't it? There's some damn fine suits on display.

La-Di-Da

Post by La-Di-Da » Mon Jan 12, 2009 19:46

Hee!
This is brill.
I loved it when Betty was in her night dress smoking a fag and shooting up into the sky at next door's pigeons.
And when Peggy finally got sassy with Joan.
And every bit where Joan is wiggle walking round the office like a sassy-ass mother fucker.
Oh!
And possibly my favourite bit:
"Same price as a chip and dip!"

I have one episode of season 1 to watch then it's scramble on for season 2.

I was getting worried I had run out of tv series' to watch too.
The horror!

Woodbine
Last.fm: www.lastharbour.co.uk

Post by Woodbine » Tue Jan 13, 2009 00:01

Does anyone know when season 2 actually starts in the UK? I know they're repeating the first season on BBC4 at the moment - is it just going to follow on from that?
Is evil just something you are, or something you do?

nanski
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by nanski » Wed May 06, 2009 08:45

i'm watching the second episode now and i just had to comment on the silly period details. for some reason, menus always kill me: fillet of sole, creamed spinach (instead of creamed corn), and potatoes au gratin (instead of fried). that was betty. he had goulash. the drinks haven't changed, though: gimlets, martinits, etc.

i see what people mean about female roles being limited... but (a) that's probably pretty realistic and (b) it gives the actresses a chance to shine, if they're actually capable of any subtlety, which some of them clearly are.

it's not the wire, but it's alright. (why is it that every acclaimed show in recent years has so much swearing, gratuitous and otherwise? it's a bit refreshing that this one doesn't!)
big hole! big hole! big hole! big man! big man!

nanski

Post by nanski » Mon May 11, 2009 15:27

i'm starting to wonder if some of the food and drink related things on this show are anachronisms, or if my parents were stuck in some kind of time warp, or if things just moved really slowly back then.... the latest things i've noticed that made me feel really nostalgic (and by nostalgic, i mean for the late 60s, early 70s---i wasn't yet born in the early 60s and definitely don't remember anything before 68, 69) were celery and cream cheese and cans of beer that didn't have flip tops, but had to be opened by a can opener.

nanski

Post by nanski » Tue Jun 23, 2009 14:38

i think i was already into season 2 when i finally realized where i knew peggy from. She's Zoe Bartlett from West Wing.

linus

Post by linus » Mon Oct 10, 2011 23:06

we got a copy of the first series on dvd for nuttin' and we've been watching it the last couple of weeks, the first few episodes I was thinking 'this is a quality drama, very good' and then this evening we watched two episodes on the trot the one where roger ends up at don's for dinner and he tries it on with betty and later roger and don eat all them oysters for lunch and back at work the lift breaks down and they have to take the stairs and then the episode where pete and peggy get it on in the office early morning and later joan does the cha cha and peggy does the twist and I thought to myself 'this is some of the greatest telly I've ever seen'... it's amazing

I'm way behind the rest of the world (four years?) and I'm trying to figure if I can the complete series box set next pay day... it's so good, I have no idea if the quality is sustained thru' each series and being me presume it might dip but, heck, I'm loving it for now

good work, television!

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Thu Oct 13, 2011 13:25

hey, linus! wrote:I'm way behind the rest of the world (four years?) and I'm trying to figure if I can the complete series box set next pay day
I can lend you the other seasons, if ya like, like.
not really here

emml
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/too_much_

Post by emml » Thu Oct 13, 2011 16:21

It only gets better. Anyone know when the new series starts?

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Sat Oct 15, 2011 00:09

next spring i think?

photojonny
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/photojonny

Post by photojonny » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:41

Next March, I believe.

I only just finished the last season, that final episode is a complete "WTF" moment. Quite glad I only caught up now as having to wait 18 months would have killed me!
One of god's stolen children

linus

Post by linus » Sun Nov 06, 2011 18:56

hey, thanks for the offer, trev, only saw what you posted today and hayley and I have been buying them series by series since watching series one, we're up to series 3 now and the quality hasn't dipped, in fact it just seems to get better/richer

we watched the episode with roger's garden party last night, the one where peggy says 'I'm peggy olsen and I want to smoke some marijuana', that's a really great episode from roger in black face singing 'my old kentucky home' to pete and trudy taking to the dance floor (that was hilarious, pete continually looking up to make sure roger and don are watching his well rehearsed moves) to joan singing and playing the accordion (never has the accordion seemed so inticing)

I really love 'mad men', I still haven't seen 'the wire' and maybe I'll watch that next but 'mad men' really is one of the great television series... it's so subtle and deft, it reminds me of when british drama used to be this good, there's so much going on, so many themes being explored, it says lots of big things while concentrating on what seem initially to be small things, foibles, quirks, bits of everyday business... the acting, writing, direction is all top notch

I'm not sure who my favourite character is but I think little sally draper may be close, I like that everyone even the kids has flaws (to put it mildly), nobody is completely good or completely bad, I think that gives proceedings a certain verisimilitude... mind you, harry really is turning into an asshole, I liked him in series one but gradually he's turned into more of an overly buttoned up conservative blowhard... I like roger, he is an asshole obviously, but I like that detached air he has

I also like hearing references to an ad company my dad worked for, I only got a free copy of series one on dvd because it was his 80th a few months back and a friend of his bought it for him knowing he'd worked in advertising from the fifties to the eighties... my mum got him the box set so I inherited series one... anyway, my dad spent time on madison avenue at approximately the time 'mad men' is set... I asked him whether the portrayal in 'mad men' was accurate and he said it was like being back there, he felt they overdid the smoking in meetings and so on, the cigarettes came after when the deal was signed off, there was plenty of drink though and he said the clothes and everything was so on the money (he didn't use the phrase 'on the money')

I don't think my dad was a 'moneypenny' but he wasn't a lane pryce either, he was a creative and he wore cravats and looked more like paul kinsey

anyway, none of this is of interest to any of you but it makes me smile

linus

Post by linus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 00:12

this week's mad men was proper brilliant telly... I'm still a little floored by it, it reminded me of a short story I read (I can't remember if it was by raymond carver or hubert selby jr... that's quite some difference in styles... I need to investigate further), I'm afraid to mention any of the plotlines or what happened for fear of spoiling it for them that haven't see it yet

but for those that did... well, I hope you all thought it was as good as I did

lynsosaurus

Post by lynsosaurus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:02

I thought it was ruddy marvellous. The thing with Pete and Lane was amazing. I don't think that constitutes a spoiler.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Wed Apr 18, 2012 20:47

I'm a fan of the foot tapping that was synchronized to the faucet dripping.

That is also not a spoiler.

emml
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/too_much_

Post by emml » Thu Apr 19, 2012 16:15

During the long wait for this series, I read this book, and occasionally I'll get bits of it mixed up with scenes from Mad Men and think I've seen stuff that I've actually just read in a book. It's quite easy to visualise the characters and storylines as those from Mad Men, and I feel a bit like I saw another mini-series in between this and the last one!

linus

Post by linus » Tue Apr 24, 2012 22:32

linus

Post by linus » Mon Jun 11, 2012 23:40

I have a half-baked theory about the final scene in the last episode of this series:
SpoilerShow
when 'you only live twice' starts up as don walks off the set of the advert megan is appearing in and he walks without a cut into a bar and orders an old fashioned and that lady comes up to him and points out her friend at the end of the bar... rather than that happening (unlike the clips of everybody else intercut doing their thing: peggy seeing the two dogs shagging outside her hotel window; roger stretching naked in front of an open window; pete lost in his own headphone hell, etc) I think it's a sort of metaphor for don getting his don back on, or more accurately dick getting his done back on... this series has seen don flounder (not for the first time obviously), he's got the 'perfect marriage' but megan is kind of willful and independent; don's got awkward to excrutiating at times playing the happy contented husband; he couldn't save joan from that 'sweetheart deal' to get the jaguar contract; he pushed lane away when lane needed him ending in lane's suicide (parallels of how he pushed away his younger brother adam, as clearly indicated in this episode) and finally and pivotally him pushing away peggy this series, his protegee, who upped and left and got on without him... I think that's his fear with megan's acting career, that she'll succeed and move on... but rather than floundering again he did the 'right thing' and helped her along and that's how he got his mojo back, cue that scene in the bar, the walk to the bar... the old don swagger... and the ambiguity of that ending, that it cuts before he answers is kind of indicating what the next series might focus on, will a don regained be able to keep that potency and sure touch as he gets older and whatnot? it's funny because what don aspires to is when you look it at cold so banal, anachronistic and empty but I find myself rooting for him anyway, maybe I'm overthinking these things, maybe it was just a piece of artifice, that transition from tv advert set to bar and maybe he is in that bar consider a one night stand... but I doubt it... even if it's none of those things the use of 'you only live twice' was inspired/bleeding obvious but so bleeding obvious you slap your forehead for not thinking of it yourself... and that's why 'mad men' is so good... in my opinion, as worthwhile or worthless as that might be

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue Jun 12, 2012 00:10

I think you're dead on!
SpoilerShow
Well, except I think Megan isn't really willful and independent, at least not anymore. Megan is basically Betty now. Don met Betty because she was modeling for something ad he was working on, right? And that's what Megan is now. She went on and on about being an artist, but even her mother thinks she isn't one. She's now been reduced to begging for a spot in a shoe ad. I don't think Don even looks at her the same anymore, not even when he was watching that film reel, and certainly not when he pulled away from her in bed with his tooth as an excuse. She's a totally different woman than she was at the beginning of this season. So I think if he leaves her/starts cheating, it's because she's changed and he's getting bored again.