Nottingham

scotland - england - ireland - wales

indiehorse
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Nottingham

Post by indiehorse » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:29 pm

I heard a rumour this was happening a while ago and then immediately forgot.

I can't remember the last time I bought a record from an actual shop. I don't think that's likely to change anytime soon.

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:49 pm

Based in Hockley, apparently. It's going to kill the Music Exchange completely.

indiehorse

Post by indiehorse » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:58 pm

a layer of chips wrote:Based in Hockley, apparently. It's going to kill the Music Exchange completely.
Yeah, Broad Street. I don't know though, I'd have thought there's a good chance of the types that shop at the Music Exchange remaining loyal.

linus

Post by linus » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:59 pm

I've only bought gig tickets in the Music Exchange (once and as a nice surprise), all the records and that are mental prices, not suggesting Rough Trade is going to be any different but...

linus

Post by linus » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:57 am

Having thought about this and had a chat with a co-worker who used to work at Selectadisc I'm not sure how I feel, but I'm certainly not as positive as the 'music fans' quoted in the Post article below ... we both agreed we rarely bought anything from The Music Exchange but did feel it's a bit shit if RT opening kills it off (and there's a bunch of other stuff I could tell you but won't as it's a public forum)...

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Music-fan ... story.html

Will it be a boost for independent promoters in Nottingham? I hate that the fuckwit Councillor welcomes the news by mentioned fucking Rock City, the twat

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:00 pm

I never go to the London Rough Trade(s) to buy records. It's very over priced and considering what it is supposed to be it's fairly poor with it's stock choices. They simply don't stock many records I want to buy.
not really here

SophieC
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jamiec

Post by SophieC » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:13 pm

music exchange was set up under a social enterprise umbrella organisation, along with a few other companies by framework, a housing charity, and is used to place workfare unfortunates. it's mainly their barista training organisation, bike repair workshop and painting and decorating training (which displaced paid workers) but yeah they make £000s from shuffling people into these roles who under are threat of sanction if they don't take it. openly admitted to it when confronted. music exchange haven't actually had any workfare placements there and the staff were well fucked off when i spoke to them about it. but yeah i won't shed any tears if they go (except the people who work there).

barely buy from shops anymore but presumably they'll do some in stores which might be "good" eh?
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People's Stick.'

linus

Post by linus » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:27 pm

The last time I was in the Brick Lane big shop the forthcoming instore advertised was Beady Eye (so it's been a while since I was last there)

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:53 pm

I forgot all that about Music Exchange. Fuck 'em, Danno.

They'll definite do a Reel Big Fish in store, Jamie.

hayleygerms
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/andyandhayley

Post by hayleygerms » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:12 pm

What bugs me about the Music Exchange is their weird "local band!!!" labelling system. The first time I went in there they had an Orca Team record with a local band sticker on, which I could just about forgive them for because it was not long after Sam and Andy put them on at the Chameleon, so I guess it would be an easy mistake, I suppose not that many US bands play there so maybe they just assumed. But the last time I went in they'd labelled The Cramps as a local band. THE CRAMPS. I don't understand it. Maybe they got New York confused with Newark.

Also, I can never browse properly in there as I can't reach the records at the back of the display because I'm small.
you buried my son under a knicker factory

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:58 am

If you can work out what the most tragic element to this story is, then you're a better person than I.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Fopp-reco ... story.html

linus

Post by linus » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:15 pm

For the pre-Indietracks show in Nottingham next Thursday (24th July) hoping some good folks may have available floor space, sofa space, even a spare bedroom with which they could put up some of the bands?

Champion the Indiehorse has offered space for 3 (one of the bands is a trio, if I've been informed correctly), me and Hayley are putting up 4 (one band plus travelling companion) and that leaves 8, possibly 10 (waiting on confirmation), a split of 4 (one band) and 4/6 (another band) so looking for anyone that can help with some combination of 2/4/6 (or two 3s), yeh, it's complicated...

It may turn out that one or both of these bands have somewhere to stay but until that's confirmed wanted to get my tendril-like feelers out... so, Nottingham dwellers (or those nearby), can you help?

PM me if you can help in any way, the usual packdrill applies (you won't have to pay to get into the gig, I'll be your best friend forever, etc)

linus

Post by linus » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:39 pm

a fog of ideas wrote:For the pre-Indietracks show in Nottingham next Thursday (24th July) hoping some good folks may have available floor space, sofa space, even a spare bedroom with which they could put up some of the bands?

Champion the Indiehorse has offered space for 3 (one of the bands is a trio, if I've been informed correctly), me and Hayley are putting up 4 (one band plus travelling companion) and that leaves 8, possibly 10 (waiting on confirmation), a split of 4 (one band) and 4/6 (another band) so looking for anyone that can help with some combination of 2/4/6 (or two 3s), yeh, it's complicated...

It may turn out that one or both of these bands have somewhere to stay but until that's confirmed wanted to get my tendril-like feelers out... so, Nottingham dwellers (or those nearby), can you help?

PM me if you can help in any way, the usual packdrill applies (you won't have to pay to get into the gig, I'll be your best friend forever, etc)
Getting desperate for help/assistance with this... please, please, please pm me if there's any possibility you can help, thanks

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:42 pm

We would, but we've already got me brother and his missus staying over. Soz.

linus

Post by linus » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:51 pm

I knew you were 'taken' and I also do appreciate it's a bit of a liberty to ask... but are any other Nottjobs able to help?

Things are going tits up quicker than an analogy that I don't have the wit to come up with at the moment... between indiehorse and I we've got two bands places to stay but not the other two, one of them may have everything sorted, I'm just waiting to hear back, so that leaves the other and they appear to be quite compact and lots of fun and would probably make ideal houseguests for a night

I will owe a debt of gratitude to whoever can help out, free art commission (if that floats your boat), back rubs (perhaps not), whatever is mutually agreeable

if it's not obvious I'm desperate

linus

Post by linus » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:07 pm

One band to find floorspace for now, it's Thee AHs who need somewhere to stay... if anyone can help out?

linus

Post by linus » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:08 am

All the band accomodation is now sorted... there's some- in the words of a certain young lady- brillopad people out there

Respect is due

fads

Post by fads » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi Nottnums.

I happen to be in your fine city for this entire week as i'm learning how to make tiny models at NTU. I'm commuting back/forth from Birmingham each day but i hope to pick your brains for cool things to do on my lunch hour...

So, where's good to eat - say i was looking for a lunch-type affair... a sandwich or a salad, ideally vegetarian, certainly fresh.

Second, i see there's a show a-happening on Thursday. Where is the place, and is it close enough to the train station so i can catch maybe one band, have a drink and then run like the wind - the last one back to Brum is 2139.

Thanks!

linus

Post by linus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:34 pm

The gig on Friday is by the market square (there's a 'beach' there at the moment), it's at The Chameleon Arts Cafe which is on Angel Row near The Bell pub (also near the library), the opposite end of the market square to the big grand Council building.

In terms of getting back to the station... hmm... maybe a 20 minute walk?

As for places to eat, I've not worked in the City centre for some time but I hope you'll get some suggestions, Bar Burrito is a quick, fast, no messing burrito place just off the market square... you can get a veggie option... it's pretty fresh