New Directions: Glee!

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

let it ride

New Directions: Glee!

Post by let it ride » Thu Oct 22, 2009 00:19

This is the thread to discuss happiness happiness happiness, also known as the new television show Glee. It's amazing and fun and music-filled. In a high school setting! What's not to love!

Music!
Fun!
Dancing!
Awesome adaptations of all kinds of songs!
Drama!
Humour!

I think Kurt doing Single Ladies (and that whole episode) has been my favourite thing so far. That, and watching Emma's clothes. Holy moly that girl dresses cute.

I love it so much because it has so much stuff I should hate (like partly acappella singing) but it still manages to make me smile and dance and skip around town feeling happy and thinking "I LOVE LIFE! I want to be in a choir!"

Watch it.
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

darvé
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve

Re: New Directions: Glee!

Post by darvé » Thu Oct 22, 2009 08:40

Ooh, i downloaded the first episode of this last night on a friends recommendation, i'm not really sure what to expect, but i'll give it a go definitely.

More to follow probably over the weekend when i've had a chance to watch it!
and that snare drum, that drum roll
means we've got a winner

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:27

Yay!

I can't get enough of it at the moment. So life-affirming and great.

darvé

Post by darvé » Fri Oct 23, 2009 08:51

OK, i watched the first 2 episodes last night, now i'm fairly sure i'm not their target deomographic, and i really think it's the kind of show i shouldn't enjoy, but YES, it was excellent, i really liked the subtle humour that ran through the whole thing. I think it had me when Finn said his mum had had a prostate operation, either that or when some dude randomly through a smoothie (was it a smoothie?) over Rachel.

It kind of reminds me of that one plotline in American Pie crossed with Bring It On, which is one of my guillty pleasure movies anyway. Oh, and hell yes, that Emma is waaaay cute.

Astrid, i'm hooked!
means we've got a winner

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Fri Oct 23, 2009 15:39

Haha, YAY! See, it's easy to dismiss it as some sort of High School Musical-related thing but it just has so much soul and that great subtle sense of humour.

I want the soundtrack so badly!

And yes Emma (Jayma Mays) on her own should be able to win over Anorak:

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Mon Oct 26, 2009 01:33

Haha I now have the soundtrack and I am intending to dance and sing my way through my everyday life now. In secret. But still.

My best friend and I are starting up a Stockholm Glee Club when I move back and we're gonna start practicing over Christmas, haha. We're psyched!

darvé

Post by darvé » Mon Oct 26, 2009 14:34

Hee, thats excellent, i'm not quite at that stage just yet, but i fear it's not far off! I've almost caught up now, just got last weeks episode to go which i imagine i'll watch tonight, but then theres no more episodes until Nov. 11.

I really like that Jane Lynch has a prominent role in the show after years of seeing her in bit part roles, Sue's just ACE.

Also, i'd totally accept those conditions Emma gave Ken too, ah, she's too lovely!
means we've got a winner

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Mon Oct 26, 2009 18:21

Haha, yay! I'm glad someone else loves it as much.

And so true about Jane Lynch, she is AMAZING! She's so underrated, no one does psychotic like she does it. Oh I love her so much! Have you seen Role Models? It's a funny film in any case (Paul Rudd! Cute and "real" kids!) but Jane Lynch as the super nutty previous cocaine addict turned founder of Sturdy Wings (a big brother/sister program) makes it amazing.

Aw no! I thought there was another episode on Wednesday :(

nanski
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by nanski » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:55

I think you and Heather Havrilesky (Salon's TV reviewer) have similar taste in TV shows, Astrid:

Best new TV: "Glee"
Between the off-color jokes and the show-choir version of "Gold Digger," this bubbly dramedy has razor-sharp teeth
BY HEATHER HAVRILESKY

Mainstream popularity doesn't necessarily make you insipid and weak. Just ask Quinn Fabray (Dianna Agron), head cheerleader, general-purpose mean girl and president of the Celibacy Club (Its motto? "It's all about the teasing and not about the pleasing!"). Just as it's easy to assume that Quinn, with her pert, virginal, beribboned exterior, is just another bland cheerleader cliché, you might guess that "Glee" (9 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 9), the incredibly hyped high school show-choir dramedy that premiered as a preview episode after "American Idol" this spring, might match the sugary style of its juggernaut booster.

Guess again. Like Quinn, who shocks everyone with an announcement that casts a shadow of doubt on her chastity in the second episode of the season, "Glee" is deliciously mean-spirited behind its fluffy, "Up With People" facade. In fact, the comedy is so rife with insults, nasty asides and the occasional shockingly off-color joke, it's like a tequila chaser to the squealing, soda-pop madness of its fall time-slot precursor, "So You Think You Can Dance."

"You know, caning has fallen out of fashion in the United States," murmurs Sue Sylvester (Jane Lynch), the sadistic cheerleading coach who's the glee club's No. 1 enemy. Caning works, Sue explains in her opinion segment on the local news. "And to all of those naysayers out there who say, 'That's illegal! You can't strike children on their bare buttocks with razor sharp bamboo sticks!' Well, to them I say, Yes we cane!"

Lynch is almost painfully good at milking laughs out of every one of Sue's caustic lines -- which are consistently brilliant. Whether she's referring to the show choir as an "island of misfit toys" or bragging condescendingly about her celebrity status under her breath ("I'd love to stay and chat but I have a satellite interview. That's an interview, by satellite"), Sue is pure nasty genius. Her scenes with show-choir director Will (Ryan Murphy) are particularly inspired.

Sue: Iron tablet? (Offering some to him.) Keeps your strength up while you're menstruating.

Will: I don't menstruate.

Sue: Yeah? Neither do I.

But the subversiveness of "Glee" doesn't begin and end with Sue. From Emma's (Jayma Mays) obsessive love for the little disasters and pet rescues of the local news to Terri's (Jessalyn Gilsig) dream of having a made-to-order McMansion to call her very own ("This is where our daughter or gay son will sleep" she tells Will during a tour of the frilly bedroom in a model home) to Terri's big sister's creepy advice ("Dishonesty is food to a marriage. It will die without it!"), every second of "Glee" is packed with tasty commentary on the absurdities of suburban American life. And while a few new comedies this fall, from ABC's "The Middle" to Fox's "The Cleveland Show," may share some of the same flavors, "Glee" has tons of style and flair, and a show-tune version of Kanye West's "Gold Digger" thrown in for good measure.

And look, if there's anything more enjoyable than watching teenagers singing dorky, badly choreographed choir versions of pop songs, I don't want to know about it. From the gloriously melodramatic version of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" that closed the show's preview episode to a fantastically goofy version of Beyoncé's "Single Ladies" (performed by the show's only dignified character, a gay choir member named Kurt [Chris Colfer]), "Glee's" little musical vignettes are catchy, obnoxious, hypnotic and stupidly entertaining. Of course, the bad songs are as exciting as the good ones, from Chic's "Le Freak" to a hilariously lewd and dorky rendition of Salt 'n' Peppa's "Push It." "That was the most offensive thing I've seen in 20 years of teaching," says Sue, "and that includes an elementary school production of 'Hair.'"

But if you really want offensive, wait until Emma, who's the school's guidance counselor, discovers Rachel (Lea Michele), the star of show choir, trying to throw up in the bathroom, and warns her of the dangers of becoming bulimic. "I guess I just don't have the gag reflex," Rachel says. "One day when you're older, that'll turn out to be a gift," Emma primly responds.

Combining the breakneck comedy and sly farce of "Arrested Development" with the pop-savvy wit of "Ugly Betty" and the twisted humor, odd soundtrack and deadpan voice-overs of one of the greatest movies about high school of all time, "Election," "Glee" is bold, silly, demonic and addictive -- one full hour of very good (but not very clean) fun.

if you'd prefer a link: http://www.salon.com/entertainment/glee ... 09/08/glee
big hole! big hole! big hole! big man! big man!

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Thu Nov 12, 2009 13:52

Hehe, that's a good analysis!

Did anyone else watch last night's episode, Wheels?! OH MY GOD it was soooooooooooo gooooooood. I got up this morning and didn't check any websites to avoid spoilers, then watched it while weeping so much.

I thought Chris Colfer (Kurt) and Kevin McHale (Artie) really got to shine in this episode, and I was really glad to see more of Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina).

This show could not be lovelier, funnier and warmer if it tried.

Kurt singing Defying Gravity made me cry ridiculous amounts. So so so beautiful.

caramarydaisy

Post by caramarydaisy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 13:59

ooh i really want to watch this, but when i searched for torrents to download it i could only find musicial soundtracks.. where have people been getting it from? or could someone do me a copy?

eee i love jane lynch, and jayma mays!!
i said OK! the wind said no

darvé

Post by darvé » Thu Nov 12, 2009 14:04

caramarydaisy wrote:ooh i really want to watch this, but when i searched for torrents to download it i could only find musicial soundtracks.. where have people been getting it from? or could someone do me a copy?

I havent seen this weeks yet, but i have all the episodes downloaded so far, i can bring a copy to Sheffield on saturday if you want?
means we've got a winner

caramarydaisy

Post by caramarydaisy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 14:13

davo wrote:
caramarydaisy wrote:ooh i really want to watch this, but when i searched for torrents to download it i could only find musicial soundtracks.. where have people been getting it from? or could someone do me a copy?

I havent seen this weeks yet, but i have all the episodes downloaded so far, i can bring a copy to Sheffield on saturday if you want?
that would be amazing! you are fabulous!!

for future episodes.. where have you been getting them?

cupcake_love
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/allishollow

Post by cupcake_love » Thu Nov 12, 2009 14:34

swedish premiere tonight, so excited!
dont fall in love if you want to die in peace

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Thu Nov 12, 2009 14:42

Awww, I would've thought it'd take ages to come to Sweden, always seems to! Huh, TV4 were fast on this one.

Davo, are you going to the gig on Friday in London? If you are, ahem, would you mind burning me a copy too? I stream all episodes as we are restricted from downloading after being caught out by our company before. Sorry, I feel really cheeky asking!

I watch the eps on sidereel.com which is a linking page. They have over 90 links (mostly megavideo which is fantastic quality) just to last night's episode! They're amazing.

darvé

Post by darvé » Thu Nov 12, 2009 15:08

let it ride wrote:Davo, are you going to the gig on Friday in London? If you are, ahem, would you mind burning me a copy too? I stream all episodes as we are restricted from downloading after being caught out by our company before. Sorry, I feel really cheeky asking!
Nah, thats fine, i can bring you a copy. They're just standard DivX files so hopefully you can play them.

Cara, we get them from Mininova, they're a little bit odd in that a usual 42 minute episode is about 340mb, but these come in at about 220mb or something, but they all work.
means we've got a winner

caramarydaisy

Post by caramarydaisy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 15:12

davo wrote:
let it ride wrote:Davo, are you going to the gig on Friday in London? If you are, ahem, would you mind burning me a copy too? I stream all episodes as we are restricted from downloading after being caught out by our company before. Sorry, I feel really cheeky asking!
Nah, thats fine, i can bring you a copy. They're just standard DivX files so hopefully you can play them.

Cara, we get them from Mininova, they're a little bit odd in that a usual 42 minute episode is about 340mb, but these come in at about 220mb or something, but they all work.
i use mininova and i could only see musical files! i guess thats cos im a bit behind and its not massively popular for people to keep up torrents.

ah well. i can see the most recent episode, so i should be fine once i am caught up!

i shall buy you a pint, kind sir!

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Thu Nov 12, 2009 19:14

davo wrote:

!!! Thank you so so so much! I'm super excited! :D

secret place
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/wolvesloves

Post by secret place » Fri Nov 13, 2009 15:22

aaaah I watched Wheels last night! that show really knows how to pull at the heartstrings doesn't it? I think it was the best episode of the season so far, plot-wise (even though Defying Gravity was great I could have done with more singing) and I was glad mr.shue's wife wasn't in this episode - she drives me mad!

stolenwine
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/

Post by stolenwine » Sun Nov 15, 2009 16:11

eee! just watched all 9 episodes with astrid yesterday and OH MAN, this show is so awesome. it's nothing like what i thought it was going to be (ie. kind of lame). it's just really cute and funny and it makes me so happy watching it. also, i have a kind of big crush on cory monteith now. i'm glad he's 28 and not whatever teenage age he plays on the show.

p.s. i think emma is SO LOVELY too.
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social