Don't Google It - A Monday Survival Quiz

chunter on randomly
RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Don't Google It - A Monday Survival Quiz

Post by RITH » Mon Aug 11, 2014 15:04

Answers posted tomorrow.

1. What song did The Just Joans borrow both words and melody from for their classic ‘What do we do now?’?

2. On what label was Belle & Sebastian’s debut album ‘Tigermilk’ originally released in 1996?

3. In 1997 the band Flake Music released the album ‘When You Land Here, It’s Time To Return’, which contained a song that they would take on as their new band name. What was the name of this song and band?

4. In 2011 the band My Little Pony released an album with a name they would later adopt as their band name. What was the name of that album and band?

5. Who is this?
5.jpg
5.jpg (9.48 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
6. The Housemartins' 'Caravan of love' was the second a capella song ever to hit #1 in the UK Singles Chart. What was the first?

7. In what short-lived band with Rose Melberg on vocals was Linton of Henry’s Dress/The Aislers Set the drummer?

8. In 1983 Cindy Lauper had a huge hit with ‘Girls just want to have fun’. Kind of creepily, the original was sung by a man, who recorded it in 1979. Who was this?

9. For their debut album, Tigercats recorded a song named after a famous (ex) couple from the band Sonic Youth. What is the name of this song?

10. The band Felt released the same amount of singles and albums as the number of years they existed. What was this number?

11. What band is this?
10.jpg
12. Cosines can be considered a bit of a superband. From what band does Cosines not employ any (ex-) bandmembers?
A) A Smile And A Ribbon
B) Pocketbooks
C) The Loves
D) Betty & The Werewolves

13. Who are this?
15.png
14. ‘I Think We’re Alone Now’ was a big hit for Tiffany in 1987, but what band scored a hit with it first?

15. Sarah 001 was 'Pristine Christine' by The Sea Urchins. What was Sarah 002?
Last edited by RITH on Mon Aug 11, 2014 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

RITH

Re: Don't Google It - A Monday Survival Quiz

Post by RITH » Mon Aug 11, 2014 15:10

This should have been in 'Random music talk', of course. Could someone move it? Thanks!

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Mon Aug 11, 2014 15:21

This is where you find out I know fuck all about anything.
SpoilerShow
1. What song did The Just Joans borrow both words and melody from for their classic ‘What do we do now?’?

No Idea

2. On what label was Belle & Sebastian’s debut album ‘Tigermilk’ originally released in 1996?

Jeepster / No Idea

3. In 1997 the band Flake Music released the album ‘When You Land Here, It’s Time To Return’, which contained a song that they would take on as their new band name. What was the name of this song and band?

No Idead

4. In 2011 the band My Little Pony released an album with a name they would later adopt as their band name. What was the name of that album and band?

Making Marks

5. Who is this?
5.jpg
No Idea

6. The Housemartins' 'Caravan of love' was the second a capella song ever to hit #1 in the UK Singles Chart. What was the first?

Only You - The Flying Pickets

7. In what short-lived band with Rose Melberg on vocals was Linton of Henry’s Dress/The Aislers Set the drummer?

Go Sailor

8. In 1983 Cindy Lauper had a huge hit with ‘Girls just want to have fun’. Kind of creepily, the original was sung by a man, who recorded it in 1979. Who was this?

No Idea

9. For their debut album, Tigercats recorded a song about a famous (ex) couple from the band Sonic Youth. What is the name of this song?

They did? Did they? Well I never knew that. (Also I'm crap with song titles)

10. The band Felt released the same amount of singles and albums as the number of years they existed. What was this number?
At a guess 10.

11. What band is this?
10.jpg
No idea again.
12. Cosines can be considered a bit of a superband. From what band does Cosines not employ any (ex-) bandmembers?
A) A Smile And A Ribbon
B) Pocketbooks
C) The Loves

13. Who are this?
15.png
I'm also crap with photos, it seems.

14. ‘I Think We’re Alone Now’ was a big hit for Tiffany in 1987, but what band scored a hit with it first?

The Beatles

No Idea. I really should know this. I used to own it.
Last edited by Trev on Mon Aug 11, 2014 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
not really here

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Mon Aug 11, 2014 15:30

(Having flicked very quickly past Trev's answers to not spoil it for myself. I think there's a design fault here)
I don't know half of these, but I'm going to have a go at the few I think I ought to get.
SpoilerShow
2. Electric Honey
6. The Flying Pickets - 'Only You'
12. Betty and the Werewolves
14. I've got a feeling it's The Rubinoos (I know someone who was vastly into this record)
15. Something by The Orchids, but I can't remember what
Well, with a possible high score of 4 1/2 out of 15, I'm probably not the man to beat. Ah well, it kept me occupied for 5 minutes
Edit - If Trev's going to guess the Felt one, I might as well have a go as well
SpoilerShow
- 5? (10 seems a bit much, he was in Denim by the mid-nineties)
Edit again - Ahhhh (Spoiler time)
Last edited by noLooking on Mon Aug 11, 2014 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon Aug 11, 2014 15:33

andyiong wrote:(Having flicked very quickly past Trev's answers to not spoil it for myself. I think there's a design fault here)
Just realised I could use the spoiler button above to hide my answers. So have now done that.
not really here

RITH

Post by RITH » Mon Aug 11, 2014 15:49

Too difficult maybe? Ah well, it's just to keep you from your work for a few minutes and do something more important.

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Mon Aug 11, 2014 15:51

SpoilerShow
Sleeper, 'What Do I Do Now'

Electric Honey

The Shins...?

Making Marks

5. Who is this?
5.jpg
Scotty Moore...?

Dunno

Go Sailor

Dunno

9. For their debut album, Tigercats recorded a song about a famous (ex) couple from the band Sonic Youth. What is the name of this song?
Dunno

11. What band is this?
10.jpg
Girls At Our Best

13. Who are this?
15.png
Dunno

<3 Tommy James and the Shondells

The Orchids, I've Got A Habit

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon Aug 11, 2014 15:51

RITH wrote:Too difficult maybe? Ah well, it's just to keep you from your work for a few minutes and do something more important.
Nah, I should've known a couple more. Think I got 5 or 6 right answers, though.

I'm pretty crap at quizzing, it seems.
not really here

RITH

Post by RITH » Mon Aug 11, 2014 15:52

I slightly edited question 9.

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon Aug 11, 2014 15:53

crystalball wrote: 14.
Aw, I should've got that one. Instead I did a flippant guess.
not really here

sweepingthenation
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sweepingnation

Post by sweepingthenation » Mon Aug 11, 2014 16:04

SpoilerShow
1. Sleeper - What Do I Do Now?
2. Electric Honey
5. Stuart Staples of Tindersticks?
6. Flying Pickets - Only You
9. Kim & Thurston
10. 10
12. D
14. Tommy James and the Shondells

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Mon Aug 11, 2014 16:11

I can't believe my answer to 14 was wrong. That was supposed to be my trump card.

Edit - looking at the Tigercats question, I ought to have got that anyway, it's bloody obvious. Arse.

Murray

Post by Murray » Mon Aug 11, 2014 18:05

I think #13 migh be an early Come Again DJs promo shot.

Michael Quentin
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Michael Quentin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 18:44

crystalball wrote:
SpoilerShow
Sleeper, 'What Do I Do Now'

Electric Honey

The Shins...?

Making Marks

5. Who is this?
5.jpg
Scotty Moore...?

Dunno

Go Sailor

Dunno

Dunno

11. What band is this?
10.jpg
Girls At Our Best

13. Who are this?
15.png
Dunno

<3 Tommy James and the Shondells

The Orchids, I've Got A Habit
I'm intrigued to know if your answer to question 11 is correct as, cryptically enough, the band you cite did not include their photograph on any of their original releases. (I've not seen the CD reissue).
*EDIT* Reading that back, I sound like Mr. Logic from Viz. Oops!
Last edited by Michael Quentin on Tue Aug 12, 2014 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

Amanda

Post by Amanda » Tue Aug 12, 2014 00:28

My attempts. I didn't do great.
SpoilerShow
2. Jeepster?

4. Making Marks

7. Go Sailor!

9. It must be called Kim and Thurston or perhaps Thurston and Kim or somesuch?

12. D... I don't know for sure that no one from Betty and the Werewolves is in this band, but I believe people from the other three bands are.

14. Tommy James and the Shondells, who also scooped Joan Jett on Crimson and Clover.
This was fun, even though I was not good at it. Thanks for writing it.

RITH

Post by RITH » Tue Aug 12, 2014 08:32

Answers:
SpoilerShow

Sleeper - What do I do now?

Electric Honey

The Shins

Making Marks

Winfield Scott "Scotty" Moore III (born December 27, 1931) is an American guitarist and recording engineer. He is best known for his backing of Elvis Presley in the first part of his career, between 1954 and the beginning of Elvis's Hollywood years.

Flying Pickets - Only you

Go Sailor (Rose Melberg, Paul Curran & Linton)

Robert Hazard

Kim & Thurston

They existed for ten years (1979-1989), during which time they released ten singles and ten albums.

Girls At Our Best

Jerome "Jerry" Leiber (April 25, 1933 – August 22, 2011) and Mike Stoller (born March 13, 1933) were American songwriting and record producing partners. Stoller was the composer and Leiber the lyricist. Songs they wrote incude 'Hound dog', 'Jailhouse rock', 'Stand by me', 'Yakety yak', 'Tell him', 'Is that all there is?', and many more. Their last major hit production was 'Stuck in the Middle With You' by Stealers Wheel in 1972.

Tommy James and the Shondells. Other big hits by this band include 'Crimson & clover' and 'Hanky panky'.

The Orchids - I've got a habit
Of those of you who have posted their answers here, it looks like crystalball is the winner with 10 correct answers. Well done! I'll do another one of these next Monday, if I think of it.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Tue Aug 12, 2014 09:01

3 1/2? Pffftt, recount, it's a fix, that's what I think...
*more bad loser talk*

Trev

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 12, 2014 09:03

A very poor 5.

I should have got the B&S one. The Lieber/Stoller one. And the bloody Shondells one.
not really here

leon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lc86

Post by leon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:03

If I'd have been confident of more than two answers I might have had a go and would have correctly guessed No 1, but three is pretty crap isn't it.
"and Valley Parade is showing all its finery"

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:34

leon wrote:If I'd have been confident of more than two answers I might have had a go and would have correctly guessed No 1, but three is pretty crap isn't it.
Crikey, did I beat someone?