Three random questions

chunter on randomly
RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Three random questions

Post by RITH » Wed Oct 09, 2013 15:18

I'll ask three random open questions, which everyone who feels like it can answer. Once the replies dry up, I, or anyone, can think of three new questions.

1. What do you hope to find when you visit anorak, and what do you try to contribute to it?

2. What's the furthest you've ever traveled to see bands play music? Who did you come to see? Was it worth it?

3. If you'd be invited to curate the main stage of next year's Indietracks festival, who would you put on? Let's say you can choose a handful of bands.

linus

Re: Three random questions

Post by linus » Wed Oct 09, 2013 15:28

1. What do you hope to find when you visit anorak, and what do you try to contribute to it?

I hope to find laffs, pals (known and unknown), ideas, stuff, useful and practical information.

What I contribute is less and less and none of the above.

2. What's the furthest you've ever traveled to see bands play music? Who did you come to see? Was it worth it?

No distance I'd consider too far but that doesn't mean I've traveled that far, not far enough for it to be remarkable

3. If you'd be invited to curate the main stage of next year's Indietracks festival, who would you put on? Let's say you can choose a handful of bands.

I'll come back to you on this one...

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Wed Oct 09, 2013 15:48

Chatting to friends (both current and future). Most of my friends like indiepop so doing this via an indiepop forum.

I'm not much of a traveller so I don't often go far. I think the furthest I've been is the Bowlie/ATP festivals. I've been to both Camber Sands and Minehead but I'm not sure which is the furthest from here.

Me and Jo used to go every year until indietracks started which is much betterer and quite close to home.

I'd have Jonathan Richman headlining but other than that it would be quite similar to the bands they put on already. The festival already is pretty damn close to perfect!

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Wed Oct 09, 2013 15:48

Friendly people. Information on gigs. Information on new bands that I might like. Witterings about tweepop. Some threads I barely understand. A sense of fun.

I went to Coachella in 2007 to see the first Mary Chain comeback gigs. That was pretty far. And yes it was worth it - a 20 odd person meet up from the Mary Chain forum (from USA, Europe and Australia no less). I also did a week on tour with Freeheat on the East Coast in 2000 and NYC popfest in 2010 including trips to New Haven and Boston with Horowitz. I have also been to Sweden/Holland in Europe for gigs, too.

I'd be shit at curating the main stage. But if I did I'd probably run something like this:

The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart
Tullycraft
The Spook School
Tyrannosaurus Dead
Sock Puppets
Dog Legs

I reckon I'd be much better at curating the Church. ;-)
not really here

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Wed Oct 09, 2013 15:56

More threads like these where people have interesting discussions and less of the sense you can get when hitting "view new posts" that it's predominantly a list of gigs happening in parts of the world you can't get to.
What I contribute is mostly additions to those lists of gigs and obscene puns in the eleven music distraction. I'm really not as good as many people when it comes to expressing myself about music so sometimes I just don't bother. Do a fair bit of the thing Sylvie mentioned in the other thread where I will write a post and then not bother sending it.

The longest physical distance was to NYC Popfest, but I consider it more of an effort to twice have travelled from Stornoway to Glasgow for gigs by The Ballet and The Lucksmiths. Couldn't have been more worth it.

Tullycraft
Math & Phsics Club
Lucksmiths
Haiku Salut
etc.

everard

Post by everard » Wed Oct 09, 2013 20:03

i hope to learn about new physical releases by bands i like, or learn of the existence of the bands in the first place. i feel like mostly i post about new releases by bands i hope others like or will like and will hopefully buy. sort of a contribution i guess, but not exactly to anorak. i found anorak in the first place by googling 'cannanes' and i like to nerd out with, and sometimes out-nerd, people who like similar shit, but records are really what it's about for me, above discussion.

from london to olympia, washington for yoyo a gogo (the cannanes, dead moon, unwound, mecca normal, the need, boyracer, the mountain goats etc etc). totally worth it once the plan turned into a three week seattle-to-sf roadtrip including the festival. for a single gig, going there on the day and home the following day, the furthest is haarlem to see dead moon. worth it in a musical sense; fucked up in an environmental one.

no interest in doing the main stage. like trev i'd angle for doing the church.

Yex
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/yex

Post by Yex » Wed Oct 09, 2013 21:12

I joined this forum in the hopes of meeting other people who like indie pop. I've found it's also a good place to learn about bands didn't know about. I try to contribute whatever I can, though regrettably I don't contribute that much.

Once I saw System of a Down (cringe) in Montreal (when I was living in California), although I didn't go to Montreal to see them, it just kind of happened. I used to travel all around southern California to see the Aquabats. I think the farthest I went was San Diego (a little under 3 hours away). EDIT: Actually, the punk show I went to in Paris beats the Montreal show for farthest away, but again, it wasn't planned. I was invited to go by this Israeli doom metal band that was playing, whom I had met randomly earlier that evening at Jim Morrison's grave.

I don't anticipate being able to travel to England next summer, so probably not.
humblebee wrote:Yex, what's that siren? Quick, hide! I think it's the Eleven Music Distraction Police. They've been alerted to your outrageous crimes against the definition of a country!

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Wed Oct 09, 2013 23:10

I hope to find: new posts. I contribute: a complete mastery of "alt-tab".

I went to a music festival in St. Malo, to see (mainly) Why?, Islands and Mogwai. It was worth it for Why? alone, to be honest - they were absolutely astonishing in a way they utterly failed to be the next time I saw them (much closer to home). The wild drunken adventure and group of happy friends definitely helped, though.

On the main stage: The Radio Dept, Jens Lekman and The Magnetic Fields. Elsewhere on the bill (a lot of these might sound better on a smaller stage): ONSIND, Benjamin Shaw, Trust Fund, Mat Riviere, Casiokids, Mascot Fight, Ace Bushy Striptease and a gloriously reformed Pants Yell!

(I wrote most of this post at work after reading Anorak on my phone and emailed it to myself to post later. I have edited it mildly drunk. This is how I use the internet now.)

darvé
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve

Post by darvé » Wed Oct 09, 2013 23:44

It used to be a fun way to pass the time with a bunch of great people, then i got a 'real' job which means i dont have time to really read/post during the day, but i also met a whole bunch of these people in real life and circumstances around that kind of led me to meet my wife, so now i just hope to read some posts about stuff i might like. I mostly contribute to any discussions about going to the pub in London, i should contribute more, but i have a 'real' job, and a wife.

During the times of Anorak's POBPAH appreciation (obsession?) i ended up going to their album launch show in New York. We flew out on the Saturday morning, show was Saturday night, came home Monday. It was pretty ridiculous in hindsight, mostly as we could easily have spent more time there, but the brevity of the trip kind of made it that much more exciting. YOLO, apparantly.

Dexys, Urusei Yatsura, The Courtneys, Julie Ruin, The Dirtbombs (playing Ooey Gooey Chewy Ka-Blooey! in full) Robert Forster and the usual Wendy Darlings, Scok Puppets, Jo-Gru, Tunabunny types.. and Comet Gain, if they turn up.
and that snare drum, that drum roll
means we've got a winner

RITH

Post by RITH » Thu Oct 10, 2013 08:13

Lately I'm happy if there are new posts. Any new posts. But what I come here for is mainly finding out about new bands, and keeping updated on new releases. What I enjoy most is when the occasional discussion suddenly draws everyone out of hiding, and anorak comes alive. Since I started my fanzine (and now 'label') I also come here to promote that a bit sometimes. I'm not sure what I really contribute... I'm the only active Dutch person on here nowadays, so there's that perspective. When someone says or asks something I know something about or want to share something about, I reply. When I think you may like a band I like, I post.

Amount of hours traveled for music was probably most to Indietracks this year (11). Show furthest from home was in Kutztown, Pennsylvania, but I was already in Princeton, New Jersey at the time.

3. If you'd be invited to curate the main stage of next year's Indietracks festival, who would you put on? Let's say you can choose a handful of bands.[/quote]

The Aislers Set, Tullycraft, La Luz, Withered Hand, The Chills. And Neutral Milk Hotel in the church.

bullyhuff
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by bullyhuff » Thu Oct 10, 2013 16:09

I like to find info on bands I like and learn about new bands. Mostly I like to just talk about music. I try to contribute occasionally with news on releases, overlooked bands, share music etc.

The furthest would be from Chicago to Glasgow but I was also there to play so not sure if that counts? It was totally worth it! I had a great time and met some wonderful people from Anorak!

3. If you'd be invited to curate the main stage of next year's Indietracks festival, who would you put on? Let's say you can choose a handful of bands.[/quote]
I think the Slumberland and Elefant curated years were great lineups, so I'd say a Labrador stage would be great. Other than that give me any and all bands involved with Amelia, Rose, and Linton!

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu Oct 10, 2013 16:54

I hope to find some news on what various friends and acquaintances in the (ahem) "world of indie-pop type stuff" are up to, maybe a bit of amusing banter, and perhaps some useful info re: gigs I plan on attending. Recently, I've contributed little beyond plugging my own musical endeavors.

In 2002, some friends and I spent our student loans for the year flying to Los Angeles to see the Sonic Youth-curated ATP festival. I certainly felt it was worth it at the time, even though these days I'd probably pay a similar amount of money just to avoid going to such an event. (Shouldn't get too sarcy though, I still have fond memories of seeing The Dead C, The Boredoms, Stereolab, Bardo Pond etc there - all very exciting and eye-opening stuff to my young self.)

My immediate knee-jerk reaction to such a proposition is NAPALM DEATH! SKULLFLOWER! ACID MOTHERS TEMPLE!, but, staying vaguely on-message, I think I would probably settle for some combination of The Bats, Jonathan Richman, Teenage Fanclub, The Feelies, Helen Love, Royal Headache, Humousexual and The Choo Choo Trains. Oh, and Hard Skin, obviously. Total dream-come-true thing would be Pierced Arrows (ex-Dead Moon), whom I think would fit the bill perfectly ideologically speaking, and if they put the wind up people aesthetically/musically speaking, well, good IMHO (see kneejerk reaction above).

Dan Pop-o-matic
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Thu Oct 10, 2013 21:31

Discover new amazing bands, get news on bands I already know about. Chat with friends. In terms of contributing, I'm possibly a bit guilty of just using Anorak to advertise popshows I have coming up, but I do try to post other things as well.

London. Various things really. Generally an Odd Box thing (though I've played/dj-ed at several, I did come to the last Weekender as a paying punter) and London Popfest. It's always worth it for bands and seeing loads of indiepop friends.

Aisler Set, Lemonheads, Flowers, The Sweet Nothings, The Smittens, Real Estate, Icona Pop (if La Casa Azul can do it so can Caroline and Aino).

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Fri Oct 03, 2014 17:23

When I saw the new questions on this thread last night, I wanted to answer them but didn't have much time on the internet to do it, so I've been chipping away at them ever since.

Only to finish my answers and find that RITH's taken down the questions.

It's not that interesting anyway...

RITH

Post by RITH » Fri Oct 03, 2014 18:05

Sorry Andy, please go ahead and post it anyway (if you've included the questions). I just took it down because last night I wanted to revive this thread, but couldn't really think of great questions.

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Fri Oct 03, 2014 18:15

RITH wrote:Sorry Andy, please go ahead and post it anyway (if you've included the questions). I just took it down because last night I wanted to revive this thread, but couldn't really think of great questions.
I thought the questions were good but didn't have time to answer them last night meant to go back to it today but forgot all about it

Michael Quentin

Post by Michael Quentin » Fri Oct 03, 2014 18:56

Trite, I know, but interesting stuff. I can read through a lot of the posts on matters which don't necessarily involve me but that I learn from. I try to contribute by contributing. No fixed plan. Just chip in when I feel it's appropriate.

Not that far, really. The most random journey was to TJ's in Newport, Gwent to see New Bomb Turks, Teengenerate and Gaunt. I'm glad I bothered as it was one of only two times Teengenerate played in the UK.

Going to obey the no bands from the previous year rule, so

Jonathan Richman, Edwyn Collins, Ye Nuns, Alvvays. I'd also love to see The Go-Nuts turn their Snak-Cannon on an Indietracks crowd.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Fri Oct 03, 2014 19:25

I probably shouldn't have made a fuss, I fear this will be a dreadful anti-climax. I can comfort myself that it could have been worse - I wrote a lot of stuff last night for the first question, only to realise that I hadn't actually bothered to answer it.
Anyway.
Questions are an approximation, 'cos I didn't copy them over:

1. How did you end up on anorak?

I did write a lot about how I ended up listening to indiepop records a lot, but it dragged on and wasn't really answering the question, so I stopped. How I came to anorak can be expressed in a more focused way; if Amelia Fletcher hadn't been made an OBE I might have missed it. I was looking for stuff about it on the internet and stumbled across the general discussion that there was on here. I noticed that there were some bloggers that I read involved (A Layer of Chips, A Fog Of Ideas) and that pulled me in a bit, and the discussion was kind of interesting, and funny in places, so I looked around a bit more. I think I'd seen anorak listed on some sidebars, but I'd never bothered before really, it looked a bit sprawling, but when I did look, I found that that was good, I could see a few things I knew about as well as the many things I didn't and that drew me in - the indiepop blogs are quite intimidating for a dilettante, week after week of bands you've largely never heard of and you don't know if it's just you or nobody has (coming from a more informed position now, I'd say it's a mix of the two).

Coming to indiepop from a slow start, without access to gigs and stuff, it felt easier for everything to be in the same place and it looked like a nice place to be, a community where I liked the people and was interested and entertained by what they had to say. I also liked that it was easy to find everything and you could talk about all sorts of stuff, not just music - it felt like it had been done by people who'd taken care over it and knew they were going to want to spend a lot of time there. I joined up quite quickly after that, I don't see the point of lurking and I'm stuck in a lot so it's nice to have somewhere to go where people are talking about the stuff you're interested in. I was a little intimidated that I knew quite a lot less than most, but I reasoned that being wildly ignorant never stopped anyone expressing their opinion about far more important things on the internet and I found that, if you love the music, you soon get up to speed to some degree. In the end, I'd bought three Amelia Fletcher-related records in a week and joining anorak seemed almost mandatory - there was a genuine possibility I might have been arrested if I hadn't.

2. What are your three favourite big hit singles of the last few years?

For boring and complicated reasons, I don't hear a lot of chart music. I know that I'm missing out to some degree, but at least I've never sat all the way through anything by Adele. Anyway, this means I'll have to go back a bit for this (five years?), but I'd say

Florence and the Machine - 'You've Got The Love'
Cee-lo Green - 'Forget You'
Icona Pop - 'I Love It'

Ironically, I only heard the Icona Pop one after I saw someone mention them on here.

3. What music did your parents listen to when you were growing up?

My mum never really listened to anything much, apart from oldies on the radio. She gets me to buy her one of those 'Dreamboats and Petticoats' things every year and has never really gone beyond the period covered by these, which is fair enough, when you get rid of the schmaltz it was pretty ace. I did consider substituting the new album by The Yearning this year, but I think she'd notice.

My dad always listened to lots of classical music, which I tend to admire rather than enjoy, I haven't got the patience to really listen to it properly. There was also a bit of soft rock (Fleetwood Mac 'Rumours', Dire Straits (the moody 'Love Over Gold', rather than the wretched 'Brothers in Arms') (they're coming up a lot today, are they indiepop? What is indiepop?), 'ESP' by The Bee-Gees, Elton John's greatest hits), which I still have a soft spot for, though ultimately none of this had as much impact as the tape of 'Thriller' and Paul McCartney's 'Pipes of Peace' my sister made me, which I played till it fell apart, and my brother's wall to wall Abba and Kate Bush obsessions. But that's probably for another thread. I keep meaning to dredge up 'Formative Musical Experiences', but I can never be arsed...