Record Store Day

chunter on randomly
Pog

Record Store Day

Post by Pog » Mon Apr 02, 2012 21:35

With Record Store Day nearly upon us again I was wondering what people's views of it are on here? Personally I think it's a lot of hype although there always seems to be plenty of records that I really wouldn't mind getting my greasy paws on. I know my local indie store well, i've been a loyal customer for more years than I care to remember, so it annoys me that a plague of locusts (rich collectors - people the store owner tells me he only sees once a year) descend on the shop leaving nothing in it's wake. Then they go home and put the records straight on ebay for quadruple what they just paid. This can't be right can it?

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Re: Record Store Day

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 02, 2012 21:43

I don't like it. Partly for the reason you outlined and as someone who runs a small record label, I find it tiresome, that all these relatively massive bands are doing really limited runs on massive labels, and just this month I have 2 7" singles I am pressing fall back in the queue behind these 'releases'. Sigh.

I'm not much a fan of record shops these days, either. I go to them (good ones, at that) and find little I want. I find shows, bands own websites and online sellers a lot easier to use.
not really here

Pog

Post by Pog » Mon Apr 02, 2012 22:22

The most ridiculous releases slated for this year's event must be the 500 copies only 7" by Coldplay or the 1,000 only Box Dylan 7" box set. You can guarantee they'll be on ebay for silly money in the evening.

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Tue Apr 03, 2012 20:15

I'd never given record store day any thought but those things are indeed really annoying. It's just another industry thing, isn't it? Also, I've just heard a shit version of 'Rent' by Field Music on the radio, which they recorded for record store day, and now I'm furious. Leave it alone, you maniacs.

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 22:57

i'm more annoyed by the fact that the things i want are generally US release only, like the Superchunk 7" and the GBV tribute lp last year

i love my Kill Rock Stars repress from last year, mind

the idea of record store day is fun, it's just a shame it's scuppered by the ebay bellends
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

fika_recordings
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/thetoma

Post by fika_recordings » Tue Apr 03, 2012 23:54

I like the idea of something to get people into their local record shop, but I'm not sure it should be a limited Coldplay 7". And sadly it all seems to have turned into a hypey "chance to get something rare", rather than a chance to go watch a band or two and listen to some records and hang out with people and get to know the folks that work there and talk about and enjoy music. Missed opportunity.

That said, like Trev, I'm getting increasingly peeved with some record shops. I've been chasing and invoicing one in particular for over 6 months to get the money for a record that they bought some copies up front and took some on sale/return. I've not seen a penny and they're refusing to return unsold stock unless I pay for the postage. Given that they owe me considerably more than the postage, they could just deduct it and pay me what they owe and get the **** on with it.
They'll remain old and nameless, unlike Norman Records and Rough Trade, who've always been an absolute pleasure to deal with. Which means if I buy some music around RSD time, it'll be a bunch of old stuff that's been sitting around in the Norman Records warehouse for ages.
fika recordings // a diy indiepop cassette label // http://fikarecordings.com

Trev

Post by Trev » Wed Apr 04, 2012 08:28

That's pretty much the reason I gave up on doing self distro. Have money owed from at least 6 shops (hopefully they've gone bust) from the lostmusic days (2007/08). I either sell myself on the website or via Cargo for releases with a large run, these days.

Carys
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Record Store Day

Post by Carys » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:18

I think it's complicated, isn't it? The whole romantic ideal of browsing through records to stumble across new things, shop owners who can make fabulous recommendations, getting an unexpected bargain... These are the reasons it would be great to keep independent record stores open.

In practice, though, I can rarely if ever find what I'm looking for in shops and make almost all my purchases online, directly from labels or directly from bands. It might be a chicken-egg scenario, but the situation is as it is and I personally don't get very glassy eyed thinking of the "good old days" of spending hours in record shops buying shit for the sake of it.

FactCheckinCuz

Record Store Day

Post by FactCheckinCuz » Thu Apr 05, 2012 08:27

I think that overall it's a good thing, the record store day. So what if a few opportunist arseholes cash in, this forum is littered with ways in which 'music fans' spoil it for the rest of us. You wouldn't not go to a gig just because someone is selling tickets on eBay. From an employment point of view I'm sure more actual people work in record shops than work in the record part of online distributors. So rsd probably helps pay some people's wages, who are probably as passionate about music as we are because they actually work in a record shop, irrespective of how avant garde they are. And about the 1 day a year people - It's better than no days and they might realise that all music doesn't come from amazon or play. I buy music from record shops all year as well as from gigs and online and the good shops need to be supported.

It's not a perfect model but it's better than nothing, and that's why I'll be going along and enjoying myself on rsd. Too much cynicism can be crushing.
Last edited by FactCheckinCuz on Thu Apr 05, 2012 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:12

FactCheckinCuz wrote:I think that overall it's a good thing, the record store day. So what if a few opportunist arseholes cash in, this forum is littered with ways in which 'music fans' spoil it for the rest of us. You wouldn't not go to a gig just because someone is selling tickets on eBay. From an employment point of view I'm sure more actual people work in record shops than work in the record part of online distributors. So rsd probably helps pay some people's wages, who are probably as passionate about music as we are because they actually work in a record shop, irrespective of how avant grade they are. And about the 1 day a year people - It's better than no days and they might realise that all music doesn't come from amazon or play. I buy music from record shops all year as well as from gigs and online and the good shops need to be supported.

It's not a perfect model but it's better than nothing, and that's why I'll be going along and enjoying myself on rsd. Too much cynicism can be crushing.
Aye, I can see that. I don't really see the need for bricks and mortar Record Shops in this day and age, though. And RSD has turned into a cash cow for bigger labels and a cynical way of exploiting fans of the bands. I mean do Coldplay really need a 500 run 7"......?
not really here

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:17

I love record shops, and I really don't like (for some reason) buying records mail order. I went down to Cheltenham last weekend and there was - gasp - a proper record shop there. I spent a good hour in there just looking through stuff, and it was lovely.

I'd much rather go into a shop and by the new Tigercats album, take it home on the bus, and play it, than have it emailed to me. I'm not sure that the internet has made music more accessible at all. Sure, it's easier to get, but you've really got to know where to look nowadays. I remember being 14 and going down to the record shop in Grimsby and taking a chance on stuff just because of the sleeve or the name or whatever. I find that's been lost with just looking at a screen. It's all person preference, though.

I'm not sure what Record Shop Day even means, to be honest.

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Apr 05, 2012 13:44

I used to do that Sam but often the stuff I want to buy isn't in these shops! I can go to Sister Ray or Rough Trade and find very little I want to buy/pickup. Most records can be bought cheaper from the labels/bands directly or from decent online sellers like Norman etc.

I still love looking through the racks of 2nd hand record shops, though.
not really here

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Thu Apr 05, 2012 13:46

Oh, yeah, that's what I meant. I just wish it was.

Having said that, I used to find record shops terrifying places. All those cool types hanging around talking to the staff. All I wanted was to buy my Kitchens of Distinction 12" and leave. I didn't need to wade through all those people to do it. DEATH TO RECORD SHOPS!

Tomb
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tomb242

Post by Tomb » Thu Apr 05, 2012 13:53

Trev wrote:And RSD has turned into a cash cow for bigger labels and a cynical way of exploiting fans of the bands.
I mean do Coldplay really need a 500 run 7"......?

I can go to Sister Ray or Rough Trade and find very little I want to buy/pickup. Most records can be bought cheaper from the labels/bands directly or from decent online sellers like Norman etc.
Labels have exploited fans for years way before RSD ever appeared.

As much as I like potterring about Record shops (as per Sam's post) I agree with you on that one! I sometimes find myself buying something for the sake of it.

I like Record Store Day though. Not sure why. Must be the old romantic in me hiding away......

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Thu Apr 05, 2012 15:49

I haven't found a new record in a record shop that I've wanted to buy for years. I still buy old records from them and especially like looking through second hand vinyl. These days I buy all my new records online and at gigs but I miss going to record shops and especially the excitement of going to ones in other towns which might stock some records that you couldn't get locally. I guess it is better now because if you want a record you can just order it online instead of relying on the chance of the record shops you go into having a copy or having to fight with Markie over the single copy of some obscure seven inch but it seemed more fun (or is that just nostalgia?). Having both options would be great.

I went to Record Store Day for the first time last year and quite enjoyed it. Uh Crookes did an acoustic set on the pavement outside which was fun and I bought some records which was nice.

hhbtmike

Post by hhbtmike » Thu Apr 05, 2012 22:40

well coming to RSD from a record store end, it's a blessing and a curse.
blessings
1. people get excited to go into the shop.
2. lines around the block to get into a record store first thing in the morning.
3. one day sales that match our worst month of the entire year normally.
curses
1. not being able to get in enough of an item or even one copy of some things leaving folks really bummed out.
2. the insane wholesale pricing which leaves little room for mark up in most cases.
3. the amount of budget that has to be saved to stock the releases (we have to cut back for a month prior to record store day)
4. left over stock of some items that don't sell.
5. the constant bother of people asking if you are gonna get a certain item in when we never know if we will get even one copy even though we ordered 50 of them.
6. the labels that release stuff on rsd that could come out anytime of the year and do fine that would actually help some weeks where there is a release lull.
7. labels that release complete garbage no-one wants for rsd but you order one just in case.
8. limited beyond belief releases where it creates a huge demand where it's just going to be on ebay anyway (coldplay, u2, blur, wilco, tom waits).
9. the fact it kills off releases two weeks before and after rsd creating this void where no one has money for anything else.
i could go on but you get the idea.

on stocking stuff people want, best bet is get to know your local record shop and ask for records, give them the name of the band and label, hell if you know the distro tell them who they can get it from. it's impossible to keep up with everything. i have loads of metal dudes and hip hop guys who have me order stuff all the time, but there is no way for me to be up on that stuff, but with them interacting with me i'm learning more about both.

i only made it to a few shops on the recent tunabunny/shrag tour and it was really hit or miss. however i did love shopping at action records in preston. also got to meet the norman records folks who are just a mail-order but super nice guys.

boney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boneyboy

Post by boney » Thu Apr 05, 2012 23:25

RSD is 4 days before I get paid so I won't be going to my local stores. Have never joined in the queuing fun, and am not one for instores, I get a bit claustrophobic.

I still split my spending evenly between online and IRL, and try to alternate between stores. Feel spoilt down here having half a dozen great stores.

Pog

Post by Pog » Sat Apr 21, 2012 18:47

Okay then, who made the effort today? Any stories of all night queuing?

I didn't go down to my local store until about mid morning but I managed to get most of the stuff I was after. There was still a long queue at 11.30 though. I felt sorry for the guy in front of me, he picked out tonnes of stuff but then when he tried to pay his card got declined twice and he had to leave empty handed!

There was quite a bit of overpriced stuff. For example £40 for the Black Keys album. Okay it was a two-vinyl set and included a 7" and a CD copy of the album, but even so £40 seems OTT to me. Also the sevens that I'm sure were generally were a fiver last year were mainly six, seven or eight quid this year (or even £9 for the Beth Horton one!). There was even a single album by blues oldie Skip James at £30!! How do they justify that?

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 15:09

mclusky repress for me, and that was about it

fancied the tortoise, poison idea and flamin' groovies 7s, and i wanted to pick up the Breakfast Club/Pretty In Pink soundtrack reissues for sarah too. the soundtracks didn't make it to liverpool though, and i figured £17.99 (!!!!!!) for an lp was enough to pay out at this end of the month.

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:20

without wanting to open the debate about the pros and cons all over again, did anyone go this year?

for once i'd been saving in advance and actually spent a fair bit

i'm super-happy to have got hold of the Half Japanese box anyway