Amusing juxtapositions in yr alphabetised record collection

chunter on randomly
andyroo
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Amusing juxtapositions in yr alphabetised record collect

Post by andyroo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 13:22

rowsdower wrote:and what about bands like La Quiete, Los Campensinos, De Høje Hæle, Das Racist and others with non-english articles?

is it under Q, C, H, R respectively? Or Q, L, H, D, for those bands who are actually non-english? Or even L, L, D, D?
With mp3s I have the "the" bands tagged by the main word rather than "The", for ease of alphabetical access on the roo-pod.

So I naturally thought all my Spanish stuff should similarly be tagged (for example) Secretos, Los instead of Los Secretos.

But then I discovered something that had slipped through the net because it was in another language. Le Tigre. "Aha!", quoth I, "for conistency this must be tagged Tigre, Le."

And then another anomaly, the band Le Mans. Whom I decided not to retag, because their name is derived from a city and therefore a proper noun. But then you could have a band called, say, Los Angeles, or something like that.

WHERE WILL IT ALL END?
There ain't no-one gonna turn me round

Carys

Post by Carys » Thu Mar 10, 2011 18:07

What about compilations? I put record label comps under the name of the label, but generic ones like Girl Group Sounds and Songs of the 1940s wind up a free-for-all.

I arrange mine in the same way as Everard, allowing for inconsistencies. For example, I file all PJ Harvey under Harvey, even though that was the name of the band, and I file all my Kylie Minogue under M even though she's just known as 'Kylie' these days.

I file Le Tigre and Los Campesinos under L - I treat the article as part of the stage name.

Incongruous pairs? Ludovico Einaudi next to Einsturzende Neubauten; Lady Gaga next to Lambchop; Interpol next to Irene.

Oh, what do you guys do about the Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan records? I file them under Lanegan because she gets on my nerves and he's a dude.

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Thu Mar 10, 2011 20:00

Carys wrote:Oh, what do you guys do about the Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan records? I file them under Lanegan because she gets on my nerves and he's a dude.
Ours went under "Campbell" because on the sleeve her name comes first.

We keep most of our compilations on a different set of shelves (because we have a fancy thing hanging on the wall for our "main" CD collection but it doesn't hold all our albums, let alone singles, CD-R copies, compilations etc.), but I did decide in last week's reshuffle (which happened as a result of getting off my arse and re-hanging the rack) that the Motown Chartbusters albums ought to be in the main collection, along with one or two others. So far they're under the title of the compilation, but I'll see if any problems arise from that when I finish the job.

everard

Post by everard » Thu Mar 10, 2011 21:47

i do compilations (anything with three or more bands) alphabetically by label & chronologically within that except when there are multiple volumes of a series: they go together. i do have a few special sections where i have bunch of similarly-themed discs on labels i own nothing else on -- girl groups, queer comps, australian punk, soundtracks.

do tribute albums go with compilations or under the artist being covered? i do the latter.

was just on the bus with marianthi talking about how to file splits. i go with whichever artist i own more records by (or in some sad cases get two copies)

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 06:38

What about A Smile And A Ribbon? I have them under 'A'.

My system:

- Bands beginning with 'The' get filed under the next word. Other bands by the first word (this include Le Tigre, etc).

- Solo artist filed under the surname whether stage name or not. This use to confuse me a bit with Helen Love but they're 'H'

- Splits get filed as compilations except my 1910 Fruitgum Company and Ohio Express split LP which because the albums I have by each of them used to be next to each other, it fitted rather nicely in between. Unforunately I now have a Nirvana album but I can't move it because that's where it goes!

- Compilations are a bit of a mess. They're sort of by genre but for me that kind of works out as 'indiepop' and 'everything else'.

- Tribute albums go under compilations.

RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Post by RITH » Fri Mar 11, 2011 06:40

Currently my system is random coincidence. It doesn't take a lot of thought, which is nice.

It's impossible to find anything though.

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 09:30

everard wrote:was just on the bus with marianthi talking about how to file splits. i go with whichever artist i own more records by (or in some sad cases get two copies)
HAHAHA

me too
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

Andy GI

Post by Andy GI » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:06

Mine tend to go in a random order, mostly so when looking for something I find something else and put that on instead.

Though I do forget sometimes what LPs I own, and am then pleasantly surprised.

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:29

Andy GI wrote:Mine tend to go in a random order, mostly so when looking for something I find something else and put that on instead.

Though I do forget sometimes what LPs I own, and am then pleasantly surprised.
that's the kind of thing i'd love to do but i'd just get annoyed with myself... too anally retentive i guess :(

i always forget what i'm looking for and end up putting something else on anyway
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

gofelt
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/bachelorkisses

Post by gofelt » Fri Mar 11, 2011 14:36

everard wrote:was just on the bus with marianthi talking about how to file splits. i go with whichever artist i own more records by (or in some sad cases get two copies)
Ha ha, I can't stop laughing, Daniel. Indeed, splits can be pretty tricky. I usually go with the artist I love more. And if I love both sides equally (i.e.boyracer/the cannanes), I go with the most beautiful cover (boyracer win) :-)

A friend of mine used to arrange his cd collection by the colour of the cover. He created various colour patterns - at some point he even tried to imitate the whole spectrum of rainbow colours! Bizarre but doable.
I slice the surface here beside you/Lungs filled liquid yell I love you/Sound moves further underwater
Deep and dark my submarine bells groan in greens and grey/Mine would chime a thousand times/To make you feel okay..

everard

Post by everard » Fri Mar 11, 2011 15:36

according to my system that cannanes/boyracer record is a compilation not a split as there's a mytty archer song on it too, so i got away with only getting one copy :-)

in some cases i duplicate but on different formats (e.g. bikini kill/ huggy bear split is under B in my lps, H in my tapes). strikes me as a sensible compromise!

i know someone who has his books arranged by spine colour, it looks great if you don't plan on searching-for-and-finding anything ever again.

gofelt
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/bachelorkisses

Post by gofelt » Fri Mar 11, 2011 18:18

everard wrote:according to my system that cannanes/boyracer record is a compilation not a split as there's a mytty archer song on it too, so i got away with only getting one copy :-)

in some cases i duplicate but on different formats (e.g. bikini kill/ huggy bear split is under B in my lps, H in my tapes). strikes me as a sensible compromise!

i know someone who has his books arranged by spine colour, it looks great if you don't plan on searching-for-and-finding anything ever again.
Ha ha, absolutely right on the cannanes/boyracer record :-)

I use a mixed system to arrange our books-by author and book height! As for the book shelves, light books for "light" reading along with thin catalogues and folders are on the top shelves and I keep the heaviest ones, handbooks, college textbooks and door stoppers on the bottom - fiction and classics in the middle :-) They all are arranged by author (but not necessarily alphabetically) and book height.
I slice the surface here beside you/Lungs filled liquid yell I love you/Sound moves further underwater
Deep and dark my submarine bells groan in greens and grey/Mine would chime a thousand times/To make you feel okay..

oldgreentieon

Post by oldgreentieon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 08:24

Anyone group their Stephen Nancy and Ste McCabe CDs together? I'm considering it, as I am uncomfortable with them being separate under N and M.

De La Soul, Los Crudos, La Roux, La Bien Querida etc go under D and L on my shelf.

Comps go under the compilation title.

Splits go under the first band name on the sleeve or spine. This unfortunately means there's a Fleas and Lice / Restarts split CD several inches away from my other Restarts CDs. I might change this.

oldgreentieon

Post by oldgreentieon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 08:26

And a brief return to the thread topic:

The Caretaker (next to) Mariah Carey (next to) Carter USM.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 09:43

Conflict (next to) Crashland (next to) Crass, I thought was a good one.

I've noticed loads as I am still re-alphabetising (I am lazy, I am up about Q so far), but I can never remember any by the time I get to a PC.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

graysonscolumn

Post by graysonscolumn » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:56

oldgreentieon wrote:
Comps go under the compilation title.
WIN. This is what I do also.

Not that alphabetising compilations by title makes them any less susceptible to amusing juxtapositions, natch. Hence

Energy Rush Dance Hits 94
(next to)
Engine Common [Sarah Records compilation]
(next to)
Eurovision Song Contest Estland 2002

Splendid.

gc
Fifty Shades Of Grayson: http://thatmusiclist.blogspot.com

oldgreentieon

Post by oldgreentieon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:22

Amusing juxtapositions can also be congruous.

My top shelf material:

Airport Girl (next to) The Aislers Set (next to) Lily Allen (next to) Allo, Darlin' (next to) Alphabeat (next to) Altered Images.

That's half a pop DJ set, readymade. Ah, the wonders of alphabetisation.

Shaun A

Post by Shaun A » Sat Jun 25, 2011 22:02

When I used to get the Rhythm Records catalogue in like 1990 or something, they had the flexi by the Marmite Sisters listed between a Charles Manson Lp and a book by the Marquis de Sade. I used to love that juxtaposition

DefenderOfPants
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DefenderOfPants

Post by DefenderOfPants » Sun Jun 26, 2011 04:39

i was never sure where to put T. Rex. do i sort it as Tyrannosaurus or as the letter T?

also, what do you with numbers? the 6ths? 2pac? 10,000 maniacs?

linus

Post by linus » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:58

I make the bold assumption that nobody will want to find anything in my record collection (or indeed be interested in it) apart from me so as long as I have a system I understand then I don't have to stress myself out over what anyone else might think or do

having it all currently in crates and boxes due to not having enough space also helps overcome the evidently troublesome business of where this, that and the other goes (all I have to think about is 'it'll be somewhere in there')

I also like not having too much of a system so that while I look for one record I might find another by accident that I'd forgotten about and then I can listen to that one too or instead of

the books on my bookshelves are arranged in a convoluted system that only I know which essentially comes down to 'mood' and 'feeling'

again, I've never put books on a shelf thinking anyone else would want to look see what's there other than me (which is why my career at borders hit a figurative brick wall)