The Boy Peel

chunter on randomly
helen

The Boy Peel

Post by helen » Wed Oct 24, 2007 22:35

i was just listening to Peel on desert island discs ,it was great to hear him again,it's such a big loss without him banging away on the radio.It got me thinking ,what records did you hear on his show that made you jump off your bed in astonishment,records you would never have heard had it not been for him,for me it was The Native Hipsters and Look There Goes Concorde Again,the most bizzare tune i had ever heard,and more recently the first time i heard a Happy Hardcore tune,i think it was a Air Supply sample at 4 million miles an hour.Fuck,radio is shit without him.

Spike
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Spike » Wed Oct 24, 2007 22:44

For me it was Deerhoof. And also something involving animal noises.

Occasionally I come across a tape with him rambling before or after a track and it's comforting. Radio is definitely a lesser place without him.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Wed Oct 24, 2007 22:47

There are so many bands that without peel I don't think I would have heard (or would have heard a lot later).

But of the stuff that I wouldn't have heard anywhere else (at the time) - The Shop Assistants, Dawson, Leatherface, Daniel Johnston, Bongwater, Wedding Present, Half Man Half Biscuit all spring instantly to mind.
not really here

round bits of plastic

Post by round bits of plastic » Thu Oct 25, 2007 07:52

ballboy, bearsuit, HMHB, schneider tm, aisler set, airpot girl, threeoneg records, solanki, montana pete, gag... he was my musical education. growing up in choking suburbs, no older siblings to borrow records off.. he was pretty much all i had.

my friend did a wee on his toilet and the pig made her a sald sandwich. FACT,

Contravene

Post by Contravene » Thu Oct 25, 2007 17:47

The last time Peel came to Glasgow we gave him a Plimptons demo tape, he never got back to us.

Then again, I vaguely recall him playing the Loves back in 2001, those were the days, those were the days

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Re: The Boy Peel

Post by islandhopper » Fri Jun 04, 2010 14:06

Bless. Mark E. Smith & David Gedge say genuinely lovely things about John on This Is Your Life.

Officer Pupp

Post by Officer Pupp » Fri Jun 04, 2010 15:13

Oh, I thought this literally referred to Peel's son Tom who is taking to the airwaves tonight on 6Music.

I almost never listen to 6Music, but I think I'll make an exception tonight.

Wheatabeat

Post by Wheatabeat » Fri Jun 04, 2010 15:26

Officer Pupp wrote:Oh, I thought this literally referred to Peel's son Tom who is taking to the airwaves tonight on 6Music.
I heard his voice the other day and he definitely has a bit of his pops in there, mainly the slight drawl.

I often found Peel played an equal amount of dross to absolute genius so wasn't a regular listenr but tuned in on and off. Apart from the usual indiepop gems and of course HMHB, one distinct one he played once jumps out at me; Audiowhore's "It's Good But It's Not Right". A electro song almost entirely made out of samples from an episode of Catchphrase.
Fuck your tea room.

Dear Sir

Post by Dear Sir » Thu Jun 10, 2010 13:26

Wheatabeat wrote:
Officer Pupp wrote:Oh, I thought this literally referred to Peel's son Tom who is taking to the airwaves tonight on 6Music.
I heard his voice the other day and he definitely has a bit of his pops in there, mainly the slight drawl.

I often found Peel played an equal amount of dross to absolute genius so wasn't a regular listenr but tuned in on and off. Apart from the usual indiepop gems and of course HMHB, one distinct one he played once jumps out at me; Audiowhore's "It's Good But It's Not Right". A electro song almost entirely made out of samples from an episode of Catchphrase.
Heh, snap. But only because you mentioned it back in the old days as well, so I bought a 12" sampler with it on. Looking at the Tracks For Horses comp now, there's a very broad mix of stuff from folk in their early years - The Earlies/ Micah P Hinson/ Lucky Pierre (Aiden from Arab Strap), Psapp etc etc.

I've got a few old radio broadcast bootlegs and retrospectives from the 60s, and his voice on those has a lot less gravitas than in the later years. I was also surprised to see Mark E Smith say he only ever had two conversations with Peel in his whole life.
Yawn.

Keg
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Dr_Mango

Post by Keg » Thu Jun 24, 2010 14:38

Message here from Ken Garner, author of the excellent book about John Peel and the sessions:
Calling all fellow ex-Peel listeners. I would really appreciate your help completing a small survey for an academic paper I am doing on the listening/taping practices of Peel listeners then and now, for a conference on broadcast archiving in the USA next month. Whether you taped then or not, download archive off-air tapes nowadays or not, if Peel was important to you at any time, I'd really like you to do thesurvey. It takes 10 minutes. All you have to do is tick boxes. And please pass it on to any other once-Peel fans you know. It's all anonymous and I am not tracing your IP address either. Here's the link:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HTP28ZD

cheers
ken
author, THE PEEL SESSIONS, 2007
I've taken the survey and it doesn't take long at all. Any extra submissions will be much appreciated by Ken I'm sure.

djbones

Post by djbones » Mon Oct 25, 2010 23:48

Six years on and still sorely missed.

linus

Post by linus » Sat Oct 13, 2012 14:14

The BBC may reconsider naming part of its London headquarters after the late John Peel, following allegations he had sex with a 15-year-old.

According to the Daily Mail, the former BBC DJ met teenager Jane Nevin in 1969.

She told the paper they had sex, after which she became pregnant.

A BBC spokesman said: "Clearly, in the event of proven allegations of sexual abuse the BBC would reconsider its decision on the naming of part of our new building."

The BBC announced in March this year that it was renaming part of BBC Broadcasting House after the late Radio 1 DJ.

Then-director general Mark Thompson announced the Egton Wing, part of its central London headquarters, would be renamed the Peel Wing.

The site is the former home of Radio 1, where Peel broadcast for much of his career.

Speaking at the time, Mr Thompson said it was "a fitting tribute to a man who personified so much of what the BBC stands for".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19933274

'The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there'

So, does anyone feel a distinction needs to be drawn between Peel and Savile or are they to different degrees the same kind of sick nonce we should all loathe and despise?

Or is there an argument- admittedly one few will want to make in the current climate- that Peel at least was honest and frank (and in later life somewhat chagrinned, to put it mildly) about his exploits whereas Savile, it seems, managed to hide his in plain sight by virtue of being a tireless fund raiser, having a forceful overbearing personality and having lots of friends in high places (and not just in the BBC, he was a regular- annual- guest of Lady Thatcher's at Chequers during her Prime Ministership). I'm also unaware of any suggestions by any women that Peel raped them while they were under the age of consent- however he is guilty- potentially- of 'statutory rape' by his own admission

I've put that LP Hartley quote in because (apart from it being an easy quote to run to when the present judges the past) I can see how the prevailing culture, attitudes, etc then almost sanctioned this kind of behaviour (whether that be 'ribald and cheeky' comments to 'bit of a laugh' gropes to, ultimately, rape)

But, have we really changed? Those attitudes and behaviours of old seem to me to perpetuate but are now just more furtive, coded and seemingly sanitized (as 'laddishness'). It seems hypocritical to judge the past as if we live in a better more virtuous world now

The likes of the Sun, the Mail and so on seem hellbent on rooting out as many BBC personalities to tar with the Savile brush, as if to suggest Broadcasting House was some sort of pederast's hangout- and quite right too if the allegations about Savile are proved correct... Peel seems to be one of those next in their sights

Do you care?

linus

Post by linus » Sat Oct 13, 2012 14:25

What's especially weird about that BBC story is Peel had been entirely upfront about his past in interviews and his biography... so why the sudden surprise at this Mail story? Did they not consider all that before deciding to run with the name?

The tabloids might also like to run with the shock revelation that the sculptures outside Broadcasting House are the work of Eric Gill, an artist who in his diaries wrote of having sex with his own children, his sister and, at least once, his dog

Nobody tell Littlejohn, he'll explode

boney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boneyboy

Post by boney » Sat Oct 13, 2012 18:51

Julie Burchill piece from 1999

What did YOU do in the war, Daddy? Well, John Peel caught VD, and banged on about it. Until recently, Peel banged on a lot about sex. Like many an ugly Englishman, he went to America, where that nation's young women found a Limey accent so beguiling that they barely looked at the face it came out of: "All they wanted me to do was abuse them, sexually, which, of course, I was only too happy to do,"

Peel told the Guardian in 1975. "Girls," he said to the Sunday Correspondent in 1989, "used to queue up outside oral sex they were particularly keen on, I remember one of my regular customers, as it were, turned out to be 13, though she looked older."

This was the Sixties. Fleeing America after the authorities quite rightly objected to him having sex with young teenage girls, Peel was joined by his wife, Shirley, a Texan girl, who was 15 when he married her.

Talking to the Correspondent about this young woman, now dead by her own hand, Peel seems strangely censorious: "She fell in with some extremely dodgy people she married three more times after me, and I was the only husband by whom she didn't have a child.

All the children were in care. She did some terrible things, you know. She didn't deserve to die, though." Somebody give that man a medal!

Scratch a hippie and find a sexist - well into the Seventies, Peel was drooling on about "schoolgirls", in print and on air, where his Schoolgirl Of The Year competition was quietly laid to rest during punk's tenure. I always thought the alleged Sexual Revolution of the Sixties was not a bid to advance women's rights, but rather to block them, to turn back the clock and push the brave new young working woman back to being barefoot and pregnant. Even the appearance approved for hippie women - long skirts, long hair - spoke of an earlier era, before girls raised their skirts and bobbed their hair and went out to earn a living.

A public schoolboy who calls his children after footballers, a lover of World Music who happily took the Order of the British Empire, a landowner who does commercials for toilet paper and Playstations and yet calls himself a Bennite, a past 'abuser' of children who preaches Family Values in excelsis: it is not, as his fans like to say, a wonder that Radio 1 has not sacked him in 30 years. No, in all his patronising, phoney, hypocritical glory, he is Radio 1. Lord Reith would be proud.

Some deeply unpleasant events, been in the public domain from his own mouth for decades.

linus

Post by linus » Sat Oct 13, 2012 19:27

I suppose what we might ponder on having read burchill's piece is 'do people have the capacity to change?', to atone for past crimes and misdemeanours, develop, grow and move on... from that piece it would appear our julie wasn't convinced

graysonscolumn

Post by graysonscolumn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:18

helen wrote:It got me thinking ,what records did you hear on his show that made you jump off your bed in astonishment,records you would never have heard had it not been for him,for me it was The Native Hipsters and Look There Goes Concorde Again,the most bizzare tune i had ever heard,and more recently the first time i heard a Happy Hardcore tune,i think it was a Air Supply sample at 4 million miles an hour.Fuck,radio is shit without him.
Definitely all that Tresor Records and Underground Resistance techno stuff, Jeff Mills's or otherwise. The exercise in brain sandpapering that was listening to X-103's Curse of the Gods for the first time is one particularly fondly held moment.

gc
Fifty Shades Of Grayson: http://thatmusiclist.blogspot.com