Getting It All Wrong: A Thread For The Memory Addled

chunter on randomly
islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Re: Getting It All Wrong: A Thread For The Memory Addled

Post by islandhopper » Mon Jun 01, 2009 23:46

indiansummer wrote:Didn't God Bod or Queen also feature Paul Simon from Clash In The Attic? And famous afrobeat drummer Keith Allen?
They were team captains of course. One sofa each.
The other thing I remember about Tam O' Nalbarn is the time he had that monobrowed Kirsty Gallacher out of Waysis over at his house. He actually became so distraught at the messy state of The Blurs frontsman's living space that he was heard to say "I hope he gets maids". This was in the days before Kim & Aggie of course, when an Englishman's home was his castle and it wasn't thought proper to speak in such a way about another persons place of abode, so it was quite controversial in the press.
Not that Kirsty wasn't already in the nation's bad books by then anyway after claiming taking coke was just like having a cup of tea. Enraged dentists pointed out the astounding 39g sugar content of an average can and slammed his irresponsibility.

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Tue Jun 02, 2009 09:52

Waysis also courted controversy for pillaging the pioneering work of The Beadles for much of their career.

Using the signature motifs of the Church of England's charitable constabulary still gained them many fans, however. It's worth noting that within the last five eyars, in the pages of popular Indian music rag The Enemy*, frontman Kevin Gallacher slammed the decadence of student Indian bands like Dave Chappelle's Block Party.

*(whose name was recently ripped off by Waysis soundalikes The NME)
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

linus

Post by linus » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:10

I still have a lot of time for Waysis... I was a big Rude fan and it's good to see Andybell FromErasure up their with the lads

Yeh, I was a complete fan of the whole Long Sleeve Band T-shirt scene... Rude were by far my favourites, they had some especially long sleeves on their t-shirts that you could really pull down over your knuckles like some kind of mad kid from school

other than them, I have fond memories of Carver the Unstoppable Bloke who was in Quadrophenia and went onto be in The Bill and put on Loads of Weight... Machine; Nev's Atomic Kitten and The Sleeveless Things

I still put on Rude's 'No Way' album and think

islandhopper

Post by islandhopper » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:41

It was nice to see that AndyBell getting his chance in Waysis, but it's not as if the ones that left to make way for the likes of him are doing too shabbily. I've seen that bassist Giggsy turn out for Man U on more than one occasion and their old guitarist bombhead had a part in Hollyoaks where he kept his dead Mum locked up in his house for a few months.
Always nice to see a happy ending.

linus

Post by linus » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:30

I had pretty much everything on the Croatian label back then, I almost felt like me and Alan Magoo shared the same taste in music and leather trousers

from House Of Lunch to My Dickie Valentine to Alan's own band Biff Bang Biffertty Boo to Blow Off and Abominable onto the likes of The Alan Bradleys, MiddleAged Fanclub and the Superb and Fruity AlanBalls... Alan never stopped 'Doing it to the Kids'

Well done

soft revolution
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duncydunc

Post by soft revolution » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:48

linus wrote:Yeh, I was a complete fan of the whole Long Sleeve Band T-shirt scene... Rude were by far my favourites, they had some especially long sleeves on their t-shirts that you could really pull down over your knuckles like some kind of mad kid from school
Yeah, AndyBell wasn't the only popular indian artist who went from Long Sleve Band T-Shirt Scene into the Britpops thing. I think my favourites were the Boo Diddleys. Wake Up Diddley was the big hit all the kids were dancing to on the way to school.

Of course the only other song that they let on the radio in 95 was Messing by Just the Girl. That's still in the charts even now!
And by me, I mean, Flexo.

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 17:31

50 years since Nevada's Never You Mind album came out and changed the face of rock by making it a bit frownier but being ok to be a
bit frownier

Smells Like Teenagers' Bedrooms, that was their big hit single, do you remember their singer Gavin Rossdale on Top Of The Pops? i don't:

this was back in the days before their drummer Dave Cameron started singing for the Limp Biscuits

it's a shame Gavin's not around to see his legacy - all those great rock bands like Piddle In Mud, Silver Cher and The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart

luckily his gunge contamporaries Mud and Melvyn Bragg still seem to be cranking out new albums for moderately interested crowds who just want to hear the old stuff everywhere

Melvyn Bragg (original line-up)

linus

Post by linus » Thu Aug 25, 2011 19:30

Boser

I had one of them Pub Sop t-shirts, do you remember them? They had the word 'Boser' on the front and it was pronounced 'boozer', that was the joke, I think and everyone wore check shirts... not like now... check shirts, jeans and converse... it was a wild scene, man

Nevada they were on Sub Pup, so were Mahoney, Dad (that was someone's Dad, he was a big bloke, played songs he did), The Creaming Jeans, Ladygarden and lesser known bands with crazy mad names like Cat's Bottom and Abba

Everyone had long hair and came from Settle back then- or claimed to- the rest of us just had to dream or watch 'Frazier' and imagine

1991 was the year punk was broke and needed a whip round, millionaires Sonic the Hedgehog bunged in a few quid and bands like Barney the Dinosaur Jr and Courtney Love's Nose were adequate... who can rememberthe single 'Feeb Scene' or the 'Pretty following the Rhinoplasty' LP?

I think I can, vaguely

linus

Post by linus » Thu Aug 25, 2011 19:33

how embarassing, I posted that, looked back to page one of this thread to see what came before only to discover I'd repeated many of my own 'jokes'

oh dear

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 20:33

hey, linus! wrote:how embarassing, I posted that, looked back to page one of this thread to see what came before only to discover I'd repeated many of my own 'jokes'

oh dear
it's been two years, i don't think anyone will mind

more of this thread please

islandhopper

Post by islandhopper » Thu Aug 25, 2011 21:07

hey, linus! wrote:how embarassing, I posted that, looked back to page one of this thread to see what came before only to discover I'd repeated many of my own 'jokes'

oh dear
How do you think I felt upon reading my "I hope he gets maids" joke! I have no memory of this atrocity!

graysonscolumn

Post by graysonscolumn » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:26

linus wrote:Image

for me it was all about M.A.S.H. and their provocative not a hit single 'lady love your ladyshave'

Their musical legacy may not have endured, but their aesthetic one certainly has;

Featherlite (L-R): Piles Victim, Lars Kølørektal, Les, Ximenez Los Chupacabra

gc
Fifty Shades Of Grayson: http://thatmusiclist.blogspot.com

mimpkin
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mimpers

Post by mimpkin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:27

Les. Hahaaha!
totally wicked and equally ace

Murray

Post by Murray » Fri Aug 26, 2011 16:00

Can someone jog my memory please? I’m struggling to recall the details of that homophobic, dreamy-pop movement from the early 90s, “Shoo Gays!”

Other than some of the bands at the time – Chapter House of Love, Pale Ale Saints, Blush, Jerv Driver (solo project of John Jervis’ chauffer), Haircut Galaxy 100, Blow Jive and scene godfathers That Ruddy Valentino – I’m all at sea.

linus

Post by linus » Fri Aug 26, 2011 16:34

I'm mostly remembering scarah records today which as I don't need to tell you but will for the purposes of this bit was the twee nasty label based in a dank cellar in bristol run by that strange guy who ran the 'are you scared to get in the car, pet? I've got some nice puppies in the back' fanzine ... the label and all the associated bands espoused all kinds of horrid unpleasent business with sha la la choruses, if you remember...

there was animal torture with bands like the peeled mice (who can forget twee nasty classic 'emma's mouse'? didn't we all sing along to 'emma's mouse is empty, I've gone and stood on emma's mouse, oh clumsy mee-ee-ee'?- we should all be very ashamed), the harvest mice mincers, the folded fawn, the puppyheads (severed and on spikes they were and lined up in rows) and 14 diced bears

and then there was that band- do you remember?- that band that turned that whole concept on it's head and saw small animals as the aggressors and humans as the soft fleshy easily torn and dissected playthings, the remarkable evil as we squeak

and finally there were the just out and out unpleasent bands like the awphids, hellishly, the sweetest acne, shighter, secret shite, the git parade and harvey williams

the less said about boyraker the better*

but they did actually rake boys

dreadful awful times they were, dreadful

*I reined myself in there for taste and decency

linus

Post by linus » Sun Sep 11, 2011 13:15

I know this thread is about music but I think it's time we all raised a solemn and respectful glass of cockney wine to 30 years of repeats of that great british comedy institution 'pony in my pocket'- derek jason's peerless and persistant portrayal of derek tit, the cheeky iraciscible cockney unreconstructed nuisance trader who was forever reminding us that he was a millionaire; his hapless brother, nicholas lyndhurst (only 4 foot two in real life but such were his acting abilities he convinced us he was nearly seven foot tall, that's the quality of the man) and good old uncle grandad- how we laughed at them over and over again repeatedly week in week out sometimes daily for 30 long long years laughing again and again over and over without a break or time to gather our thoughts or change our underpants for thirty long long years

brilliant

there was the one with the candlebras ("not now uncle grandad"), dukey the oversized dog ("not now uncle grandad"), the blow up dolls ("not now uncle grandad") and the christmas specials that cleverly avoided anything christmassy but set them instead during the summer time when they'd go on holiday and derek would be mistaken for derek jason playing another character or nicholas lyndhurst had to pretend to have won a competition ("not now uncle grandad")

then there were all the regulars at the pub, people like the man behind the bar who was also in 'it ain't half hot, man' and looked glad of the work; marlene and joe bugner who had shrivelled testicles that didn't work (how we laughed when derek pointed out they were as useful as jaffa cakes for the act of procreation) and the idiot with the face of a horse ('why the long face?') ("not now uncle grandad") plus nicholas lyndhurst's mates like the one in the neck brace who'd later be in eastenders before the scriptwriters repatriated him or sex case, you know the one with the sex case face and the thin moustache who you'd phone the police about if you saw him hanging round near a school

whatever happened to them?

the classic episode that everyone remembers because it was only on dave last week is the one where derek goes in a wine bar... I'm laughing now...
and then horse face idiot man comes in and derek I think falls over and then stands up and says "not now uncle grandad" and it's not uncle grandad it's horse face idiot man which I think was why it was funny

I like 'pony in my pocket (I've got a sex case in the van)' because I knew a lot of people like derek jason and characters like him and one's he's actually played growing up, my nan for one who looked exactly like him, she used to clean posh people's houses for a living but she never complained, she just got on with it with a smile on her face and a fun size topic in her apron pocket... she wasn't actually my nan, she was a family friend, the lady who came round once a week to clean but I learned a lot from her and she'd be forever forcefeeding me fun sized topics I neither wanted or enjoyed

'I didn't know they even did fun size topics, nan', I'd say, 'and shouldn't it be in some sort of wrapper'

'eat it', she'd say grabbing my jaw and forcing me to swallow, her big rough warm hands often scraping my tender young face skin

it's memories like that that come flooding back whenever I watch an episode... derek jason's face coming at me repeatedly like a hammer in the face forever

lovely jubilee

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Mon Jul 07, 2014 16:46

In reading back through this thread, I was disappointed to see that no-one had covered the Antipodean bands, from “Down Over” as I always call it. The big one for me were The Gobby Teens. Founded on the bedrock songwriting partnership between Robert Johnson and Craig Mclachlan, I can still remember the first time I heard their classic “Cattle and Kane”, which was written about Pat Kane, singer with Scottish soul popsters Hue and Dennis. How could I ever forget the lines ‘I recall, a schoolboy coming home / through fields of the nephilim, to the house of the rising sun’ - they don’t write ‘em like that anymore! My favourite album was ‘Memphis Belle and the New Musical Express’ (though ‘Benny Hill Fair’ was pretty good as well) , which contained ‘String Drain’ and my personal favourite, ‘Head Full of Stan', a tribute to the Ogdens. Eventually, Robert and Craig had affairs with drummer Lindsey Duncan and violin player Manda Rin, each other and themselves, and put all of the emotional fallout into the ’16 Flobbers Lane’ album, which was compared to Packa Mac’s classic ‘Tumours’ LP, only with smaller hair. It wasn’t my favourite, though it did feature ‘Streaks On Your Towel’, which was their biggest hit and reached number one for fourteen minutes. The band split soon after, and Craig went on star in Home and Away and have an international hit with ‘Moni Moni’, which was shit.

I tell you who was good though, The Triffics. They were, erm, ‘triffic! Led by David McCallum after he’d left ‘Saphire and Steel’, my favourite of their records was ‘Colander’, which featured the definition of this arcane word on the back cover - ‘Colander - Col un derr - thing you put wet things in to get them dry’, and contained their gardening masterpiece, ‘Bury Me Deep In Shrubs’. However, the critics choice has always been ‘Born Sandy Denny’, a concept album about someone who was born Sandy Denny, but ended up being Cindi Lauper. Or something.

And how could I forget New Zealand, and the legendary Dunroamin sound. The best band were The A-Bit-Chillys, with their great singles ‘Mooning Roll’, ‘Pink Frosties’ and ‘Heavenly Pop Hat’, but there were loads more: Straightjacket Fats, The Cleaner, The Bits, The Mos, The Worzels and Led Zeppelin. And all on Kiwi / Indian independent label Flying Naan - they were brill. The bands from “Up and Under” were always the best.

ImageImage
THE MOS (Left to right) - Little Mo - Drums, Big Mo - Guitar and Vocals

This seemed a lot funnier earlier on than it does now - ho-hum...

graysonscolumn

Post by graysonscolumn » Thu Jul 10, 2014 14:41

Thanks for that invaluable Adrian memoire, Andy. I’ll look forward to my first experience of the newly defrosted The A-Bit-Chillys at the forthcoming indianTracks Festival with a whole new fresh pair of fresh new fresh eyes.

Even at this remove, though, and accepting I’ve only heard of a small number of the line-up, I suspect the real highlight of indianTracks will once again be MJ Scoutniblett – musician, playwright, publican and the inventor of BBC Basic.

Although Scoutniblett is probably writing something NIEUW!! and AMAYZINGGE!! at this very moment, it would please me no end if his set, augmented by trusted backing band The Exfoliators, still revisits in part last year’s breakout musical hit GiftWraptor, wherein guest artistes Rod, Jane and Freddy sung about trying to send a pteranodon through the post at Small Packet Rate (with hilarious consequences).

Delving further back into the GRAYTE!! man’s back catalogue, any chance he’ll play Red’n’White Sprocketts, the 12-bar blues number recalling the time Fulton Mackay suffered concussion on the set of Fraggle Rock; or the internet single sensation Tee Hee 16p, a fond look back at when Texan chewy bars were cheaper and still contained lead paint; or Searching? LOADING, a tender recollection of a lonely computer games programmer falling in love in the Software Projects office 35 years ago; or even his longstanding jaunty cover version of late-80s UK hip-hop staple 20 Seconds to Comply by Silver Bullet?

Here’s hoping. In the meantime, I’ll sate myself with the previously unreleased track Scoutniblett’s List Of Beers He Won’t Drink Now Because Farage Does, as included on the brand new indianTracks sampler.

gc
Last edited by graysonscolumn on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:27, edited 3 times in total.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Thu Jul 10, 2014 15:30

graysonscolumn wrote:Thanks for that invaluable Adrian memoire, Andy. I’ll look forward to my first experience of the newly defrosted The A-Bit-Chillys at the forthcoming indianTracks Festival with a whole new fresh pair of fresh new fresh eyes.
Cheers. Unfortunately, I shall be unable to make indiantracks, though I'm sure Allo' Darren and The Spooky Tooth will be cracking. Happily though, I've just got myself a Doublemint album, so I'll be nipping off to listen to 'Scottish Pup' after this. I can just hear the words now - '...Barry Pastel, Kenny G…' - I think that's it, anyway.

I was going to go on about the '90's, Wall Street-based Indian music scene Slicker Rock, you know, Parchment, Beak, introspective octogenarian Lou Beale from Sebadoo, but having over-reached myself on this thread once this week, I think that's quite enough.

graysonscolumn

Post by graysonscolumn » Fri Jul 11, 2014 09:52

Exciting discovery this morning: if you download the indianTracks sampler from their website onto a CDR and then play it back on there, you'll find that there are actually 56 tracks included rather than 55.

There's a secret extra track tacked on to the end - Indiepop AngelaMerkel by Ripley Tod.

gc