music documentaries?

chunter on randomly
linus

Re: music documentaries?

Post by linus » Sat Dec 12, 2009 00:12

I just caught some of 'gimme shelter', the last time I saw it was sometime in my youth, I suspect... what I got from it this time around was the festering malevolence at the heart of the altamont free festival- peace and love seems in short supply, most people look wasted, some people look half or completely crazed, others shattered or looking terrified, hurt, like they know what's coming- meanwhile the likes of the flying burrito brothers, jefferson airplane and, of course, the rolling stones themselves attempt to play in the hope everyone will just be cool and get along... the tate-labianca killings had occurred at the end of the summer of '69, the altamont free festival (which 'gimme shelter' documents, as well as the stones US tour that culminated in the appearance at the festival) took place in december, creedence clearwater revivals 'bad moon rising' was a hit in the fall/autumn, it's a jaunty little number but it's lyrics are full of portent and old testament justice:
hope you got your things together
hope you are quite prepared to die
looks like we're in for nasty weather
one eye is taken for an eye
the times were a-changing and shit

the 'outlaw brothers of the counterculture' definitely don't get along at altamont with tragic and very real results: the death of meredith hunter, an 18 year old black kid (in a bright green lime suit) who having been punched out by a hells angel and being both high and full of anger/hurt pride returned with a pistol and as soon as he flashed it was stabbed by another angel (horribly caught on film) before being chased and apparently stomped and kicked to death... ... whereas 'woodstock' is a defiant stoned/jubilant celebration of the counterculture, altamont appears to document the sixties spirit devouring itself and revealing it's tar black maggoty insides or less floridly you see the other side of sixties idealism

I think I paid more attention to it this time round then when I saw it first of all, it's like footage of a crime scene or a visual record of festering madness... at one point a seemingly totally nude and rather large hippy woman, whose lid is clearly flipped several times over, attempts to clamber over the crowd crushing anyone who gets in her way... it's sequences like this- and that of a hippy biker dude erupting into a silent vicious rage clenching and opening his fists with a manic intensity before being dragged off the stage and back into the crowd by a hells angel- that make 'gimme shelter' less of a music doc than a very pure form of documentary about a revolution come and gone, with heavy emphasis on the going and the gone

sideponytail
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/strawberrybeat

Post by sideponytail » Mon Dec 14, 2009 18:40

So many great things have already been mentioned! I definitely second Nico: Icon, Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns, The Devil and Daniel Johnston, & Slow Century.

Don't Need You: The Herstory of Riot Grrrl is pretty solid, though the word "herstory" occasionally grates on me. I also really enjoyed Standing in the Shadows of Motown, though it was tremendously sad at times. It was a bit uneven, but the Guided by Voices film Watch Me Jumpstart was pretty enjoyable. The recent Joe Strummer documentary The Future is Unwritten is also great.

I'd love to see a Decline box set, though that recent Germs movie was pretty much unwatchable (at least, in my opinion).

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 19:53

sideponytail wrote:The recent Joe Strummer documentary The Future is Unwritten is also great.
I was just coming on to post about that! Finally saw it last night. It's really good; thoroughly watchable and a nice tribute to the man.

Also, catching up with the rest of this thread, i'd really like to see that KARP documentary.
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

westgatestreet

Post by westgatestreet » Tue Jan 05, 2010 21:10

I find the documentary on the ATP festival quite entertaining.
'American Hardcore' is worth seeing for its rare live footage from the 80s, but I think the film tends to become a bit tedious towards the end.
The film about The Monks is pretty good, 'The transatlantic feedback'.

On a similar note, I think, I THINK I am looking forward to seeing 'No distance left to run'. It's a kind of a documentary, no?

rockitmarty

Post by rockitmarty » Tue Feb 02, 2010 00:32

"It might get loud" Is a documentary with Jack Black, John Paul Jones, and the Edge. If those 3 names arent enough to get you to watch it, i don't know what will.

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Tue Feb 02, 2010 01:15

rockitmarty wrote:"It might get loud" Is a documentary with Jack Black, John Paul Jones, and the Edge. If those 3 names arent enough to get you to watch it, i don't know what will.
I'm not sure of that is enough. Is there any nudity?

linus

Post by linus » Tue Feb 02, 2010 08:00

rockitmarty wrote:"It might get loud" Is a documentary with Jack Black, John Paul Jones, and the Edge. If those 3 names arent enough to get you to watch it, i don't know what will.
I think you might mean jack white and jimmy page

it's still not enough to get me to watch it though

money

money will get me to watch it

come on, marty, how much are you prepared to pay me to watch this?

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Tue Feb 02, 2010 08:38

Hey! I went to see that and he never paid me.

this looks interesting. Quad in Derby are showing a documentary of Gene Vincent's 1969 uk tour. His "fateful" 1969 uk tour it says. I have no idea why it was fateful, but I'm badly tempted to go and find out.
In Recordeo Speramus

sideponytail
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/strawberrybeat

Post by sideponytail » Tue Feb 02, 2010 20:54

I took a half-day from work this past Friday and when I got home my boyfriend was watching this. I didn't particularly care for it & got a little sick of listening to the featured musicians practicing their all-star version of "The Weight," but I have the feeling that I don't really fall into the target audience for it anyway.

I heard that the members of Le Tigre just got together to film some interviews for a forthcoming Le Tigre documentary -- I'm excited to see what that might be like.

clint

Post by clint » Sat Feb 13, 2010 23:09

Uncle Ants wrote:Hey! I went to see that and he never paid me.

this looks interesting. Quad in Derby are showing a documentary of Gene Vincent's 1969 uk tour. His "fateful" 1969 uk tour it says. I have no idea why it was fateful, but I'm badly tempted to go and find out.
Hi Uncle. did you go to see it? i went. very very good but very very sad, too. a tale of a man out of time. it's a shame that he didn't live to see his fame and popularity come full circle and be lauded as the legend that he was. it was a familiar story of bad management, drink, rip off merchants, incompetance and premature death.

on another theme, has anyone seen "Love Story" - the doumentary about Love and Forever Changes?

Clint x
"feel good" out now at www.playpeoplemusic.com

Big Nose

Post by Big Nose » Thu Mar 04, 2010 23:51

Iron Maiden: Flight 666

I love the way Bruce Dickinson, flying a huge plane with IRON MAIDEN down the side, still dresses up as a pilot when he flies it.
My apple pies go off today.

linus

Post by linus » Fri Mar 05, 2010 07:27

we're looking forward to heavy metal britannia tonight: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00r600m

isn't it quaint that we'll be watching the programme as it's broadcast rather than by one of these new fangled means of watching it anytime you fancy and on our wristwatches or sunnink technomologicals?

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Fri Mar 05, 2010 09:56

clint wrote:this looks interesting. Quad in Derby are showing a documentary of Gene Vincent's 1969 uk tour. His "fateful" 1969 uk tour it says. I have no idea why it was fateful, but I'm badly tempted to go and find out.
Hi Uncle. did you go to see it? i went. very very good but very very sad, too. a tale of a man out of time. it's a shame that he didn't live to see his fame and popularity come full circle and be lauded as the legend that he was. it was a familiar story of bad management, drink, rip off merchants, incompetance and premature death.
[/quote]

Unfortunately I didn't. It'll teach me to remember to put things on the calendar. I remembered to go and see it the day after it was on. Pah.
In Recordeo Speramus

caramarydaisy
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by caramarydaisy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 14:48

i wasnt sure where to stick this, but im off to see this tonight:

http://2010.sensoria.org.uk/events/film ... -cert-tbc/
i said OK! the wind said no

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Wed Apr 28, 2010 13:02

Oil City Confidential

Watched this great documentary last night on iPlayer (It's there until Mon 3rd May). Julien Temple's documentary about Dr Feelgood and the extent to which Canvey Island made them who they were - as a band and as people. Well worth watching even if you aren't a fan of the band. Wilko, Sparko and The Big Figure are all interviewed (Wilko's great), there's an old interview with Lee Brilleaux - as well as with his lovely old Mum.

The blurb says:
Director Julien Temple's film celebrates Canvey Island's Dr Feelgood, the Essex R 'n' B band that exploded out of the UK in the prog era of the early Seventies, delivering shows and albums that helped pave the way for pub rock and punk.

Temple examines Canvey Island culture as a 'Thames delta' for British rhythm and blues, with a central performance from the Feelgood's guitarist and songwriter Wilko Johnson. A British original, his dynamic stage presence and relationship with lead singer Lee Brilleaux drove the band through their early performances, characterising their three albums between 1975 and 1976, Down by the Jetty, Malpractice and the number one live album, Stupidity.

Wilko left the band in 1977, bassist John B Sparks and drummer The Big Figure both left in 1982, and Lee Brilleaux died in 1994. This is an imaginative, filmic and moving study of the place, times and characters that created the heyday of a seminal British band, and the personal forces that pulled them apart.
In Recordeo Speramus

linus

Post by linus » Wed Apr 28, 2010 14:36

thanks for that, ants

when a rather popular, american and soon to headline indietracks beat combo stayed at our old flat, an old grey whistle test dvd (of all things) was the meagre entertainment we provided them with... surprisingly they loved it and in particular the clip of the feelgoods went down rather well

I shouldn't wonder if a nod to the canvey island sound will loom large on their next long player

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Wed Apr 28, 2010 14:59

fogofideas wrote:when a rather popular, american and soon to headline indietracks beat combo stayed at our old flat, an old grey whistle test dvd (of all things) was the meagre entertainment we provided them with... surprisingly they loved it and in particular the clip of the feelgoods went down rather well
Ha :) It wouldn't surprise me. Maybe we need a Feelgood thread. There's some good Youtube clips:

In Recordeo Speramus

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Mon May 31, 2010 20:48

As previously mentioned on this thread, the K doc "The Shield Around The K" is currently streaming on Pitchfork (for one week). Even though it was a sunny bank holiday, I couldn't be arsed leaving the house so I watched it earlier, never having seen it before and it's pretty great. Lots of great clips, especially the ones of Mecca Normal.

You can watch it here - http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/episode/2527- ... nd-the-k/1
They don't call me Hawkeye Gilhooley... at all

caramarydaisy

Post by caramarydaisy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 14:12

sideponytail wrote:
I heard that the members of Le Tigre just got together to film some interviews for a forthcoming Le Tigre documentary -- I'm excited to see what that might be like.

its getting its world premier this sat at the portland queer docs film fest!
Making its world premiere at QDoc, LE TIGRE: ON TOUR profiles the band on its last tour in 2004, focusing on songs from the under-appreciated masterpiece “This Island.” Through
energetic live performances interspersed with interviews - including Hanna’s oft-told story of her penning the title to a famous Nirvana song - this raw and captivating documentary shows how Le Tigre could transform even its catchiest club hits into bold political statements. The lasting impression is that of three friends, still excited about making music, and seemingly still surprised that people want to listen to it. Above all, the film hilariously exhibits that being in Le Tigre was about having fun. As JD sings in “Viz,” an homage to female masculinity: “They call it way too rowdy, we call it finally free.”
- Wing Grabowski

caramarydaisy

Post by caramarydaisy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:01

i love fleetwood mac.

interesting doc, think ive seen it before but would definitely recommend while its still up.

http://beta.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... Dont_Stop/