Best Love Song Ever

chunter on randomly
roobee

Re: Best Love Song Ever

Post by roobee » Tue Aug 19, 2008 16:20

Maybe not the best but this is ever so pretty.

Mr Bear
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/cold_discovery

Post by Mr Bear » Tue Aug 19, 2008 16:54

Apart from some of the songs mentioned previously (hello 'God Only Knows'), a real favourite for me is 'Until the Morning Comes' by Tindersticks. It's so beautiful. 'Surf Song' by James Yorkston and 'Orange and Silver' by Benjamin Wetherill* are pretty special too.

*yes, it's another Benjamin Wetherill mention. I'm going to have to stop that.

La-Di-Da

Post by La-Di-Da » Tue Aug 19, 2008 17:06

I like Pretty Pathetic by The Smoking Popes.
It makes my eyes sting.

gofelt
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/bachelorkisses

Post by gofelt » Tue Aug 19, 2008 20:36

Martijn wrote:
gofelt wrote:I spent my first three years in London doing nothing else but listening to TBS records, updating (along with Marianthi) and maintaining their website
Hee, I never knew that! I must have visited their website lots of times.
Martijn, it was agees ago! I miss that website and Trembling Blue Stars so much...
I slice the surface here beside you/Lungs filled liquid yell I love you/Sound moves further underwater
Deep and dark my submarine bells groan in greens and grey/Mine would chime a thousand times/To make you feel okay..

DimitraDaisy
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/zoziepop/

Post by DimitraDaisy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 21:46

I love the Pipettes' 'I love you'. I mean, I realise it is slightly ridiculous to say that the Pipettes have written the greatest love song ever but it is so happy. Exuberant is the word I need, I think.

Apart from that, Belle and Sebastian's 'Dog on wheel's', and Jens's 'A higher power'. Or 'You are the light' for that matter. And the Lucksmiths' 'Sunlight in a jar'. And the Guild League's 'Gravity'. And something by the Pines -- 'I see stars', if I absolutely have to chose.

This list making thing is compulsive.
You beside and bluer skies above me

knibbles
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by knibbles » Tue Aug 19, 2008 22:50

linus wrote:
knibbles wrote:Baby by George Formby is gorgeous too.
oi, that's my george formby song, you big nicker!
Aww, I meant to give you mad props for introducing it to me and I never. You did though.
Daddy is dead on a sunshine day

linus

Post by linus » Tue Aug 19, 2008 23:04

knibbles wrote:Aww, I meant to give you mad props for introducing it to me and I never. You did though.
I don't feel I'm entirely deserving of mad props, it is a song on the george formby cd you own, I merely forced you to listen to it while brandishing a fist to your face in a threatening manner and giving you a look of pure evil

knibbles
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by knibbles » Tue Aug 19, 2008 23:13

linus wrote:
knibbles wrote:Aww, I meant to give you mad props for introducing it to me and I never. You did though.
I don't feel I'm entirely deserving of mad props, it is a song on the george formby cd you own, I merely forced you to listen to it while brandishing a fist to your face in a threatening manner and giving you a look of pure evil
You do deserve mad props and as a prize you get to dance to aforementioned song with me at the big wedding do whilst feeling faintly embarrassed.
Daddy is dead on a sunshine day

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Tue Aug 19, 2008 23:19

You should have a George Formby-themed wedding, Lisa.

Has anyone mentioned 'All Day Long' by the Shop Assistants? Loss and defiance and oh, everything that we were talking about earlier in the thread...

I don't just want you
I wanted you to love me
If I can't have that I don't want anything

linus

Post by linus » Tue Aug 19, 2008 23:19

knibbles wrote:dance to aforementioned song with me at the big wedding do whilst feeling faintly embarrassed.
I can do that! I've got that dance down!

linus

Post by linus » Tue Aug 19, 2008 23:21

I was going to offer up 'this love is fucking right' by the pains of being pure at heart but that'll just be me confusing love with lust and not for the first time

letsmakesomeplans

Post by letsmakesomeplans » Wed Aug 20, 2008 00:24

Hello,
been loitering for a while...
how's about Sorry To Embarrass You by Razorcuts?

xx

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 09:05

soft revolution wrote:Have you heard the Death Cab for Cutie cover of Brand New Love? It really is quite lovely, there's some nice drum work.
I've not heard it, but that sounds like the sort of thing i'd like! What's it on? I like pretty much everything Ben Gibbard's been involved in, up until (and including some of) Plans. The Home split record with Andrew Kenny from AmAnSet is utterly lovely.

Just remembered that, although i've no idea what Pavement's Spit On A Stranger is ultimately about, the line "Honey, i'm a prize and you're a catch and we're a perfect match" always makes me go totally gooey. But there you go.
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Wed Aug 20, 2008 16:41

indiansummer wrote:Just remembered that, although i've no idea what Pavement's Spit On A Stranger is ultimately about, the line "Honey, i'm a prize and you're a catch and we're a perfect match" always makes me go totally gooey. But there you go.
I love Pavement and because Malkmus always seemed to me a loveless hard ass, those rare moments of softness from him are truly choking. I'm still in shock that he's married with two kids now. He always came across as one step from Ted Bundy in romantic emotiveness, but I guess he's just totally private. The last time I saw him (at Pitchfork last year) I wept (I know; I'm such a sap) because no one cared about seeing him because Of Montreal were getting ready to go on on another stage and it was just me and a couple dozen other old folks. And Steve's voice kept cracking and he seemed so genuinely pleased to be there (with Bob too!); and I got all sentimental thinking about getting the crap kicked out of me (in a good way) at Pavement gigs in the early 90s slamming around and how neither of us could handle that kind of abuse anymore. *sniff*