chunter on randomly
SophieC
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jamiec

Re: cover versions: best and worst?

Post by SophieC » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:34

linus wrote:
jeffrey lewis' crass covers lp though, that was a winner
*slaps centre of forehead with palm*

we have a winner. he's touring the record again soon. i'm going to have go and see him again i think. if i was paul gambacini, and i thank god every night i'm not, i'd say that was my album of last year. oh yeah.
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People's Stick.'

linus

Post by linus » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:43

sorry, jamie, did you say you wanted to see a picture of paul gambacinni trading blows with a kangaroo?

I can help you out there:

Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Post by Gordon » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:43

I'm sure the lyrics aren't from memory, as they're pretty much spot on...

Dirty projector's dull? Pfff. They were better live, though.
Toot toot.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:46

linus wrote:I don't think it's the full twenty minutes, no, but it does go on a bit... possibly it's 8 mins long
The radio edit then :) Is this wonderful thing available anywheres?
In Recordeo Speramus

SophieC
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jamiec

Post by SophieC » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:46

linus wrote:sorry, jamie, did you say you wanted to see a picture of paul gambacinni trading blows with a kangaroo?

I can help you out there:

what a useless cunt. that kangaroo is a southpaw and hence an akward customer. trying a right cross is just going to leave you open to massive haymaker. you need to work the jab and find and exploit the openings your opponent gives you. NOT JUST LUNGE AT IT LIKE A SPANNER IN HOT PANTS AND HUSH PUPPIES.
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People's Stick.'

linus

Post by linus » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:47

Gordon wrote:Dirty projector's dull? Pfff.
that's exactly what they sound like- a wispy stuttering guff- you're quite right

linus

Post by linus » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:49

Uncle Ants wrote:
linus wrote:I don't think it's the full twenty minutes, no, but it does go on a bit... possibly it's 8 mins long
The radio edit then :) Is this wonderful thing available anywheres?
it was out as a 10" on lissys records back in the day

I may be able to squirrel up an mp3 later on today (when i'm not at work)

Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Post by Gordon » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:52

linus wrote:
Gordon wrote:Dirty projector's dull? Pfff.
that's exactly what they sound like- a wispy stuttering guff- you're quite right
No they use notes and everything. Do you even hate Gimme Gimme Gimme? I gave that 5 stars in iTunes to remind myself that I think it's worth 5 stars.
Toot toot.

linus

Post by linus » Thu Aug 14, 2008 13:08

Gordon wrote:Do you even hate Gimme Gimme Gimme? I gave that 5 stars in iTunes to remind myself that I think it's worth 5 stars.
hate's a bit strong... I love the original album and I was really looking forward to hearing this but when i got to hear it I just found it rather flat and uninspired, I just put it down to myself not being up with the trend and not understanding the young people, I honestly tried, I wanted to like it, you just can't force a feeling

I tell you what I did really like that struck me as a bit similar... karl blau's 'dance positive' lp, an album of d+ songs

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Thu Aug 14, 2008 13:09

linus wrote:
it was out as a 10" on lissys records back in the day

I may be able to squirrel up an mp3 later on today (when i'm not at work)
No hurry, but it would be much appreciated yes. ta.
In Recordeo Speramus

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 13:54

linus wrote:
Gordon wrote:Do you even hate Gimme Gimme Gimme? I gave that 5 stars in iTunes to remind myself that I think it's worth 5 stars.
hate's a bit strong... I love the original album and I was really looking forward to hearing this but when i got to hear it I just found it rather flat and uninspired, I just put it down to myself not being up with the trend and not understanding the young people, I honestly tried, I wanted to like it, you just can't force a feeling
ah well, there you go. i like it (although i'd be lying if i said i knew why - it confuses the flip out of me), especially the version of Rise Above itself. it doesn't sound like anything else i own - least of all Damaged.

I wouldn't have recommended it to many of the people in Black Flag t-shirts at the Career Suicide show the other night, mind.

what about China Drum's version of Wuthering Heights? That was ace.
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

tekno_alice

Post by tekno_alice » Fri Aug 15, 2008 00:26

i just went and downloaded this gimmie gimmie gimmie song by dirty projectors thinking it was a cover of the abba song, I'm so disappointed, they're so not as good as panda bear are they? wish they'd quit warbling.

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:32

tekno_alice wrote:i just went and downloaded this gimmie gimmie gimmie song by dirty projectors thinking it was a cover of the abba song, I'm so disappointed, they're so not as good as panda bear are they? wish they'd quit warbling.
The warbling can get a bit much over a whole album - i definitely have to be 'in the mood' for this record. I do like it though.

I wouldn't have thought they sound anything like Panda Bear though, do they? There's harmonies and odd synth-y noises, i guess, but they're totally different to my ears...
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:54

RITH wrote:Apparently it's on a compilation called Double Agent 1980, a tribute to the 1980’s by 1990's bands.
Here, I uploaded it for you:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hmstsxtmivd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you! I'll down load it as soon as I can get to an internet connection that will let me...

tekno_alice

Post by tekno_alice » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:29

indiansummer wrote:
tekno_alice wrote:i just went and downloaded this gimmie gimmie gimmie song by dirty projectors thinking it was a cover of the abba song, I'm so disappointed, they're so not as good as panda bear are they? wish they'd quit warbling.
The warbling can get a bit much over a whole album - i definitely have to be 'in the mood' for this record. I do like it though.

I wouldn't have thought they sound anything like Panda Bear though, do they? There's harmonies and odd synth-y noises, i guess, but they're totally different to my ears...
I'd say they were similar, but panda bear are obviously a lot better!

I wish people wouldn't do kraftwerk covers, what's the point? I love glass candy but they should never have touched 'computer love', zoot woman did a slightly pointless cover of the model too, and I words cannot describe that coldplay song that made 'computer love' sound like chris rea!

darvé
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve

Post by darvé » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:34

tekno_alice wrote:I wish people wouldn't do kraftwerk covers, what's the point? I love glass candy but they should never have touched 'computer love', zoot woman did a slightly pointless cover of the model too, and I words cannot describe that coldplay song that made 'computer love' sound like chris rea!
The Warm Jets (remember them, famous for 5 minutes when Zoe Ball went out with their singer) did a cover of The Model which i remember liking back then, i'd bet big money it sounds shit now though.
and that snare drum, that drum roll
means we've got a winner

linus

Post by linus » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:36

big black's cover of 'the model' is great as is the aforementioned cha cha 2000 one that I often go on about

tekno_alice

Post by tekno_alice » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:41

linus wrote:big black's cover of 'the model' is great as is the aforementioned cha cha 2000 one that I often go on about
I just remembered the senor coconuts album, now that was good... but I guess it's these covers done by electropop bands, i mean whats the point? we already know you like kraftwerk cause you make synthpop, duhhh!

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:42

tekno_alice wrote: I wish people wouldn't do kraftwerk covers, what's the point? I love glass candy but they should never have touched 'computer love', zoot woman did a slightly pointless cover of the model too, and I words cannot describe that coldplay song that made 'computer love' sound like chris rea!
Would it depend on just what they did with them ... and what track it was they were covering? Words CAN describe what Coldplay did ... it was shite, but that pretty much describes everything they do. I dunno, I can't in my minds eye imagine HOW anyone might do a really good Kraftwerk cover ... it's not as though they are likely to improve on it, but I can imagine the possibility of doing something surprsingly different enough, that works, to be valid (if that makes sense)

PS. You "inspired" me to go and relisten to the Coldplay thing ... more like U2 I'd have said ... the shite comment stands :)
In Recordeo Speramus

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Fri Aug 22, 2008 04:30

humblebee wrote:
I can't think of a cover I've loved longer and deeper than Galaxie 500's version of New Order's 'Ceremony'.
Oh gosh yes! There's maybe only one cover I prefer to that one, but it's an NMH cover that was recorded for my ears only.

This is really pretty!

Just Joans

There are some lovely bahs at the end.