Boring Indie

chunter on randomly
indiansummer
Posts: 6658
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 09:52
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue
Location: from Liverpool / in Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Boring Indie

Post by indiansummer » Thu Mar 19, 2015 23:17

http://louderthanwar.com/exclusive-thes ... ndon-show/

two bands i quite liked once upon a time but should never have listened to again
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

noLooking

Re: Boring Indie

Post by noLooking » Fri Mar 27, 2015 23:11

I knew I was right to despise The War On Drugs.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/m ... r-on-drugs

islandhopper
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 00:44
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein
Location: I belong to Glasgow

Re: Boring Indie

Post by islandhopper » Sat Mar 28, 2015 09:21

andyiong wrote:I knew I was right to despise The War On Drugs.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/m ... r-on-drugs
David Cameron wrote:"I can recommend it. They’re a band, you can find them on Spotify or iTunes – anyway, they’re good."
Sold!

Dan Pop-o-matic
Posts: 2036
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 13:40
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic
Location: Sheffields

Re: Boring Indie

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Sat Mar 28, 2015 09:55

1. Like the man has ever even heard The War On Drugs

2. He also pretends to like The Smiths so they must be boring indie too I guess.

3. The War On Drugs are ace.

noLooking

Re: Boring Indie

Post by noLooking » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:39

I'm not giving in on The War On Drugs. Though I am slightly ashamed to say that I don't hate them quite as much as I did last year, they used to make me genuinely angry back then.

carney
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 15:06
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/drcarney
Location: The East Anglia

Re: Boring Indie

Post by carney » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:43

War on The War On Drugs

User avatar
Wheatabeat
Posts: 1492
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 08:47
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Manchester

Re: Boring Indie

Post by Wheatabeat » Sat Mar 28, 2015 23:13

I love drugs. The war on them. Yes. Love them.
Fuck your tea room.

noLooking

Re: Boring Indie

Post by noLooking » Thu Apr 02, 2015 16:48

More Camrindie (an old one, but illustrative, I think)
Image

Perhaps slightly less embarrassing than Miliband:
Ed Miliband wrote: I’m aware of both Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith - I’ve heard them on radio and both of them are huge exports – they’re great artists.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/03 ... 77172.html

Dan Pop-o-matic
Posts: 2036
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 13:40
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic
Location: Sheffields

Re: Boring Indie

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Thu Apr 02, 2015 22:35

(Takes a deep breath)

1. I really don't think you should link a band to politics unless they actually come out and state themselves in favour of a particular politician/party/ideology

2. Haim are a brilliant pop band.

Have a nice Easter

noLooking

Re: Boring Indie

Post by noLooking » Thu Apr 02, 2015 23:10

Dan Pop-o-matic wrote:(Takes a deep breath)

1. I really don't think you should link a band to politics unless they actually come out and state themselves in favour of a particular politician/party/ideology

2. Haim are a brilliant pop band.

Have a nice Easter
1. I think they already did that themselves:
David Cameron has branded the Labour Party’s tax policy “nuts”, warning that it would drive business out of Britain and hamper the economic recovery…Mr Cameron made his comments on the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show – where he appeared alongside the Californian rock band Haim – and his arguments appeared to have convinced the three sisters, at least. After performing “The Wire”, the band’s bass player pointed at the Prime Minister saying: “That was for you, DC. It’s all about you.”
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 47857.html
Not exactly a call for a reversion to the gold standard, but ask yourself - would you say that?

2. We seem to keep disagreeing about these things. Nothing personal : )

Dan Pop-o-matic
Posts: 2036
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 13:40
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic
Location: Sheffields

Re: Boring Indie

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Fri Apr 03, 2015 08:34

Given the lyrical content of that song, I think it would be reasonable to suggest that she was taking the piss a bit. It's hardly a ringing endorsement of Tory fiscal policy is it? I still reckon it's hugely unfair to equate an inoffensive 70s/80s influenced pop band with something as inherently evil as the Conservative party.

I find the hatred and vitriol engendered by Haim slightly baffling. Is it because they are a straight up pop band who were marketed as "indie" because they play their own instruments? Is there some good old fashioned misogyny in there as well? (Not that I'm accusing Andy of this for a second). They have some good singles, the album was OK, nothing mindblowing but like I say, perfectly inoffensive. Lots of bands are inoffensive, including many that get love heaped on them round these parts. I just don't get why Haim are so hated.

(BTW, I'm not anywhere near as angry about this as my drunk posting last night may indicate. Soz everyone).

noLooking

Re: Boring Indie

Post by noLooking » Fri Apr 03, 2015 14:18

Dan Pop-o-matic wrote:BTW, I'm not anywhere near as angry about this as my drunk posting last night may indicate. Soz everyone.
It didn't seem like you, you're usually so disarmingly reasonable, it's what makes you so difficult to argue with : )

Yet I shall endeavour to do so...
Dan Pop-o-matic wrote:Given the lyrical content of that song, I think it would be reasonable to suggest that she was taking the piss a bit. It's hardly a ringing endorsement of Tory fiscal policy is it? I still reckon it's hugely unfair to equate an inoffensive 70s/80s influenced pop band with something as inherently evil as the Conservative party.
O.K. Isn't the point more that they clearly didn't care? Celeb, vicious prime minister, it's all the same to them; there's an uncomfortable element of "LOL bantz" about the whole thing. Contrast with PJ Harvey, put in much the some situation and who made her opinions on the matter quite clear. Nor is youth an excuse - if Martha or Joanna Gruesome ended up in the same position, can you picture that scene?

And if Haim were just marketed as the inoffensive pop band that they so clearly are, then it wouldn't make so much difference to me. But it does bother me that this is what the "alternative" has become, an endless dressing of the bland in the clothes of the edgy in order to create an image and sell more records.
Dan Pop-o-matic wrote:I find the hatred and vitriol engendered by Haim slightly baffling. Is it because they are a straight up pop band who were marketed as "indie" because they play their own instruments? Is there some good old fashioned misogyny in there as well? (Not that I'm accusing Andy of this for a second). They have some good singles, the album was OK, nothing mindblowing but like I say, perfectly inoffensive. Lots of bands are inoffensive, including many that get love heaped on them round these parts. I just don't get why Haim are so hated.
Haim annoyed me for the music first, and yes, to an extent because I was expecting something different, and all it seemed to be was a string of musical and lyrical cliches that were called to a halt every three and a half minutes before it started up again. Lots of bands I like are indeed inoffensive, but it does seem that Haim are a bit of a confidence trick and, as such, more representative of the wider landfill indie programme, no opinions, no edge at all, just some cheap trading off of the established gimmicks. Alternative can always be a way of doing things, rather than forging ahead in terms of the music (and there's not many doing that now anyway), but if you're happy to pose with Cameron, it's pretty clear that you're not an alternative, you're just the shitty way things are.

I wouldn't have troubled myself about, say, Hansen, because it was always pretty clear what they were about, I dislike Haim not really because I feel like I was sold a pup, but because the wider culture seems to believe that that's the real thing these days. And ultimately, I can like cheap, inoffensive pop pretty easily, I just think this sort of thing is what's killed the whole idea of an 'alternative', so you have the bewildering spectacle of the NME finally admitting they were wrong about Sarah, then carrying on about their business promoting Kasabian and the like as if it's so cutting edge it'll take your fingers off.

But that's just one man's opinion. Obviously, what you like doesn't always go with ideology: I like the Stones a bit, but I know Mick Jagger's a massive Tory. And I am a massive hypocrite, given that I like stuff like Florence and the Machine and Bat For Lashes, who trade off of a similar, if slightly different, schtick even though I know that they're little more than pleasant with a few great moments. But I think you give Haim far too much credit over that whole business; they should know well enough what a Conservative Party is and what it does.

God, I feel a bit embarrassed getting all impassioned, especially given that no-one even turns up to read this shit anymore.

User avatar
RITH
Posts: 3355
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 08:35
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH
Location: Almere
Contact:

Re: Boring Indie

Post by RITH » Fri Apr 03, 2015 23:08

andyiong wrote:I feel a bit embarrassed getting all impassioned, especially given that no-one even turns up to read this shit anymore.
I turn up, just don't have a lot to say lately. I'm glad someone is still posting!

User avatar
leon
Posts: 1015
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 21:43
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lc86
Location: Bradford

Re: Boring Indie

Post by leon » Fri Apr 03, 2015 23:21

I turn up and read too, I'm just rubbish at 'debate'.

noLooking

Re: Boring Indie

Post by noLooking » Sat Apr 04, 2015 00:00

Debate is glorifying it a bit, more like "I manage to criticise one of Dan's bands by accident, he takes exception, I back down/ don't back down, the world turns again". I'm going to stop posting on this thread, it only ends on tears.

I'd start on the eleven thread, only I haven't got a bloody clue what internet cartoons are. I even tried to research it and I'm still none the fucking wiser.

This is how Anorak will end, not with a bang, but with a poorly chosen eleven topic. I've got a killer in reserve an all.

carney
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 15:06
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/drcarney
Location: The East Anglia

Re: Boring Indie

Post by carney » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:26

Perhaps a bunch of American 20-something pop musicians aren't particularly engaged with the internal politics of a foreign country?

User avatar
Wheatabeat
Posts: 1492
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 08:47
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Manchester

Re: Boring Indie

Post by Wheatabeat » Sat Apr 04, 2015 23:22

carney wrote:Perhaps a bunch of American 20-something pop musicians aren't particularly engaged with the internal politics of a foreign country?
This is how I interpreted it too. Can we resume posting what that cunt from Kasabian or what all those cunts from Razorlight is / are wearing these days instead?
Fuck your tea room.

noLooking

Re: Boring Indie

Post by noLooking » Mon Apr 06, 2015 08:27

When I posted that picture, the only thing I was much thinking of was that I conflated Haim' s slightly dressed up cultural conservatism with Cameron's lightly dressed up political Conservatism (which I got into above) and that's why I found it enlightening. I only got distracted into this arguement because Dan got all 'Incredible Hulk' about it and started accusing me of saying Haim were supporting austerity or something and it pissed me off (and to the fair, he did apologise), so I just started defending that angle. It wasn't' something I'd given a second thought to up to that point, to be honest.

I would still say that if you're happy to stand there and get all chummy with a Tory prime minister that it reflects badly on you. I don't know anything about the political situation in Canada, but I wouldn't have my picture taken with Stephen Harper because he is a Tory.

That really is my last word on this thread, before I slag someone else's favourite band off and foolishly get myself Into another argument I don't really want to have.

noLooking

Re: Boring Indie

Post by noLooking » Wed Feb 24, 2016 22:44

Dan Pop-o-matic wrote:If you didn't hate Catfish and the Bottlemen already (and listening to 0.000000001 seconds of one of their songs would do it), this article should make you want to track them down and "give them a good talking to":

http://www.impactnottingham.com/2013/10 ... ga-271013/
I know I said I wouldn't return to this thread, but something needed to be said.

Catfish and the Bottlemen just won 'Best Breakthrough Act' at the Brits.

*the sound of a thousand doors slamming shut in the bowels of hell*

User avatar
leon
Posts: 1015
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 21:43
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lc86
Location: Bradford

Re: Boring Indie

Post by leon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:23

To be honest we should all have gone down the bookies and put a bet on that the moment we read that article which Dan linked to. Its so wearily predictable. Mind you the odds would probably have been shite.
"and Valley Parade is showing all its finery"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest