Dexy's Midnight Runners

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

richardo

Dexy's Midnight Runners

Post by richardo » Thu May 03, 2012 22:33

Any other fans?
Searching For the Young Soul Rebels was the first album i ever bought and today remains probably my favourite album of all time.
Off to see them next week and can't wait!

I've also being trying to track down the slowed down version of There There My Dear (9 minutes) which they performed on the Tube with Kevin doing press ups on stage. I saw this on You Tube a few years ago but all traces of it have disappeared off the internet, does any body have a copy?

kofi
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Dexy's Midnight Runners

Post by kofi » Fri May 04, 2012 13:14

richardo wrote:Any other fans?
Searching For the Young Soul Rebels was the first album i ever bought and today remains probably my favourite album of all time.
Off to see them next week and can't wait!
I'm a huge fan (careful), of the early stuff anyway, and got a ticket for Tuesday. I've avoided alot of classic band comebacks (Stone Roses, Specials, Sex Pistols, T'Pau) cos I can't see the worth of them. Dexys feels different though, like one man's personal struggle, or something (plus I knew a bunch of people who were already going so it's a bit of a lads/lasses night out)

I have *no* idea what to expect. It's possible the new stuff will be underwhelming and the old stuff will be disappointing so I don't have high hopes. But I know I could be wrong about both and I do expect the atmosphere to be pretty special.

you're walking on marble, it's scorching your feet
how can this small town big shot boy get enough to eat?

richardo

Post by richardo » Fri May 04, 2012 17:08

Yep, the early stuff is also a favourite of mine. It's a real bugbear that i never saw this incarnation live (too young). I did however get to see the 'Don't Stand Me Down' era Dexy's and they were great

I'm not sure what to expect on Tuesday, the snippets i've heard from the new album have not really inspired me, athough i hope i'm proved wrong. It's just great that i have another chance to see them

kridmr

Post by kridmr » Sun May 06, 2012 18:49

Well i think you "will" be proved wrong on tuesday, caught the Triorchy gig on friday and kev didnt disappoint! hes still "got" it! wont give too much away but the album works well live with all on form esp kev and big jim.
Enjoy, i'm coming down for a second helping. cant wait.

posed_by_models
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/PinkTurnsToBlue

Post by posed_by_models » Mon May 07, 2012 14:39

'I Love You (Listen To This)' packs more passion into three minutes than most bands manage in an entire career. In particular I love the video, with Kevin down on his knees.

I always get excited during the first few seconds of 'Werewolves in London' when played on the radio.. thinking it is 'One of Those Things' by Dexy's before realising my mistake. I know it was theft by Rowland but I heard the Dexy's song first. Sorry, Warren.

'Don't Stand Me Down' is amongst my favourite records of all time. I love the seemingly incidental spoken word parts. Or on 'This Is What She's Like' when Kevin gives up on language altogether.. expresses his emotions via a series of "Woah's".

I danced to 'Come on Eileen' on my wedding night. Used to hate that song for being the albatross around their neck.. the only song most folk knew. On that night though, glowing with Guiness, it made perfect sense.

Gosh, I love Dexy's.

Bobby Who?

Post by Bobby Who? » Thu May 10, 2012 17:49

The most amazing and strange thing I've ever had said to me was said on this very topic...

I was describing the new bobby mcgees sound with all the brass, trumpets, sax and tubas...I said "I want it to sound like dexy's"

Someone who will remain nameless said to me:

"We don't talk about them....Kevin Rowland shagged my wife."

Incredible.

Amazing lyrics as well...I mean 99% of all people in the uk (100% of people who've been at a wedding) know and sing along to this song....but how many could identify it from these lyrics:

"These people 'round here
With their beat down eyes sunk in smoke dried faces
They're resigned to what their fate is
But not us, (no never) no not us (no never)
We are far to young and clever"
Teaching the obvious to the idiots.

brogues
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/the_brogues

Post by brogues » Thu May 10, 2012 23:52

Dexy's fans, this is on BBC Radio 4 next Thursday!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hl29f

Happy days :)

richardo

Post by richardo » Tue May 15, 2012 09:45

Fantastic, thanks for the info.
The programme says 11.30, anybody know if that is AM or PM?

By the way the Shepherd Bush gig was amazing!

kofi

Post by kofi » Tue May 15, 2012 11:20

Shepherds Bush was really good. It felt like a bit of an event (plenty of [ex]celebs there: Mark Lamarr, Mark Kermode, Jon Ronson) and for the right reasons - I don't think anyone went away disappointed.

The new album is pretty strong, a bit of a cross between Don't Stand Me Down and The Style Council, with Mick reusing some old riffs here and there. They didn't play much old stuff but Tell Me When My Light Turns Green was probably the religious highlight of the night.

Kevin and Pete did a great routine with Pete as a police officer asking Kevin how long he'd been 'burning'. Apparently they did this at the last reunion but it was new to me.

KR looked ridiculous in a kipper tie and hat the size of Dudley but that's his prerogative. There was also a moment when he went dramatically down on his knees at the front of the stage and nearly toppled over but we'll say no more about that. His voice is in superb form, and he's still got the talent, passion and humour he had 30 years ago. I didn't get to hear Plan B, I'm Just Looking, There There My Dear or Let's Make This Precious but I got to see half the band that wrote them. The man is a national treasure.

matt_crisp

Post by matt_crisp » Wed May 16, 2012 15:42

posed_by_models wrote: I always get excited during the first few seconds of 'Werewolves in London' when played on the radio.. thinking it is 'One of Those Things' by Dexy's before realising my mistake.
I've made that mistake so many times!

on a Dexys note I always feel a bit sad while walking down Bearwood High Street past where the Little Nibble used to be. I only went in there once at it was a horrible place, but i always wanted to pop in and see if the current owners realised that their cafe was mentioned on a classic album.

linus

Post by linus » Wed May 16, 2012 17:12

I was kind of too young to get them at the time, I sort of took them on face value (oh, they're romany gypsies, ok) and liked the hits (at the time) but it was only later that I kind of got 'em by which time it was too late

there is something fucking ridiculous/daft about kevin rowland and I like it but at the same time I also find myself slightly reacting against it and the sheer amount of reverence dexys are afforded now just makes me cringe a bit, I'm not sure why

I think I automatically kick into reverse gear when anyone gets revered like that, it's what they want, isn't it? the performers? that's what they want, that's why they do it, so they can feel important and elevated above the rest of us scum

funny folk, the performers

I liked what one performer had to say about dexys appearance on later last night:

great to see kevin rowland has put the joboxers back together - and what a scoop getting ricky gervais on co vox..........
that's being irreverent, that is, and I approve

kofi

Post by kofi » Thu May 17, 2012 13:46

a fog of ideas wrote:I was kind of too young to get them at the time, I sort of took them on face value (oh, they're romany gypsies, ok) and liked the hits (at the time) but it was only later that I kind of got 'em by which time it was too late

there is something fucking ridiculous/daft about kevin rowland and I like it but at the same time I also find myself slightly reacting against it and the sheer amount of reverence dexys are afforded now just makes me cringe a bit, I'm not sure why

I think I automatically kick into reverse gear when anyone gets revered like that, it's what they want, isn't it? the performers? that's what they want, that's why they do it, so they can feel important and elevated above the rest of us scum

funny folk, the performers

I liked what one performer had to say about dexys appearance on later last night:
great to see kevin rowland has put the joboxers back together - and what a scoop getting ricky gervais on co vox..........
that's being irreverent, that is, and I approve
My childhood memory of Dexys is pretty much just the Brush Strokes theme tune (it's a good 'un though!) As with most 'important' bands I was born either way too late or simply wasn't paying attention.

I hate that sort of reverence too, or at least I like to assume that I do. I could be blinded by an attraction to 'cultural importance' (then again it's not like Dexys were particularly influential), or my love for certain old tracks of theirs, but I don't think there's too much uncritical adoration going on. I think someone like Weller gets more of that as he seems to attract a certain sort of unthinking crowd.

In the gig last week there was a feeling that it could all go horribly wrong, although I could be projecting there I suppose, and people didn't know what to expect, although the men of a certain age there who possibly don't get to many gigs these days may well have decided in advance to enjoy it wholeheartedly.

There've been plenty of (long) periods when KR was abandoned by his fanbase and savaged by the media. That there's 'something fucking ridiculous/daft' about him is part of the fun I think, acknowledged by himself and everyone else. 'What's he like?', to coin a phrase. Joe Strummer could also be fucking daft but he reached a point in his last years where people came to realise a great affection for him despite his flaws and mistakes. I don't think that's the same as reverence, but like I say maybe I'm biased.

The gig had some genuinely great moments. There were also slightly embarrassing bits and boring bits, but overall for a 58 year old bloke whose band hasn't released an album for 27 years it was a triumph. Of course, for the kids out there who are wondering who all these old people are on stage and in magazines and why don't they just feck off out of the way, I do sympathise, but as the old argument goes, jazz and blues performers never have to justify themselves like that.

There are endless reformed bands playing the nostalgia circuit to varying degrees of success, but not many that return with a fully realised new concept album that can be favourably compared to their early stuff. I'm only cautiously looking forward to the new PiL.

Airlberdrm

Post by Airlberdrm » Fri May 18, 2012 07:50

yes it is .....

Rocker
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rockerq

Post by Rocker » Wed Jul 25, 2012 15:53

Saw them in 1980, when they were still the best live white soul band in the world, well before they blew it with f*c":ng banjos and dungarees. They walked on through the middle of the audience, all donkey jackets and adidas bags and a soulboy arrogance totally different from any other bands doing the rounds in those days (or any days). They blew me away with that amazing horn section, and the Hammond - an amazing live sound that hit you like a wall, they were tight, and some.

If you ask me, the new LP is fine, but it really does need more of the Hammond'nhorns. If anyone wants to hear it I can point you in the direction of how the new songs ought to sound - message me for a link.
Cheers!

Rocker

Listen to my show at http://www.dandelionradio.com - the internet radio station inspired by John Peel.

Cloudy Cat

Post by Cloudy Cat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 09:59

They played the new lp in MVE a few weeks ago. Didn't really do it for me. Never really got Don't Stand Me Down except for This Is What She's Like which is exceptional. I just can't see them ever producing anything as vital as Young Soul Rebels and those two fabulous singles Plan B and Show Me.

Nearly saw them with the Specials, Madness and the Mo-dettes back in 79 but they cancelled at the last minute. Did see them around 82/83 and they were brilliant.

I think Mr. Rowland is a top man though and not just because he wore a dress or two. A friend of mine told me about the time they'd been mugged in New Cross and who came to their aid? Kevin Rowland. He was extremely kind and comforting apparently.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:50

"Dexys: Nowhere Is Home" - Friday next - BBC 4

Too rye ace!

(sorry)

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:13

Has anyone got the reissue of "Don't Stand Me Down" from Record Store Day this year?

I bought one online the other day and I'm getting it picked up in the week, but I've seen someplace saying that there's a fault on it and it's bothring me now

Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Post by Gordon » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:29

Someone in my block of flats is apparently called Kevin Rowland. (although it could just be old mail). I've never seen anyone who fits his description.
Toot toot.