my bloody valentine

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

linus

Re: my bloody valentine

Post by linus » Fri Jun 27, 2008 18:00

this probably should be in a seperate thread but there's some stuff that people are in raptures about on here that leave me entirely cold and other stuff that I feel folks should be screaming and hollering about more louder than they are

I guess we can all say that though

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Fri Jun 27, 2008 18:15

I'm pretty excited about seeing them, because like Pocahontas (or whatever Chrisps is called on here) I never got to see them the first time around. Like the Pixies, I suppose - and with them I quite liked seeing them at Coachella, but really loved them at Brixton standing near the stage. It didn't matter that they were old and fat and only playing old stuff, I still had loads of fun. It was Pixies songs being sung by Frank, with the Pixies backing him, the way it should be. Like the records but with more energy. I'm hoping tomorrow will be similar to that - all the songs I know, played by those who know them best, but louder, more distorted or whatever. Hopefully it won't be like the time I saw the Sex Pistols. That was shit.

I don't really get hype generally, but this was unexpected until last year, two of their albums are probably in my favourite 10 and it's the only time they've toured since I've been old enough to go to gigs. I think £22 is actually OK for something this appealing as well. Radiohead are charging twice that to stand in the rain.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Fri Jun 27, 2008 18:23

annie wrote:it just saddens me that i find most of it just so uninspiring nowadays. it's not like disagreeing with others would keep me from posting what i think. if anything, it's the difficulty i often have translating my thoughts into writing that stops me from getting more involved in conversations like this.
I have the same problem (with the writing--and speaking for that matter. It's all so sensible in my cortex/heart and then comes out "dribble blip bleep" when I try to express myself to others), but I want to say, uncharacteristically for me!, that I LOVE it when I have a preconceived notion about a band and someones passion makes me give them another try. Better still when I find myself digging said band!

Soap box away, everyone. It's good for your soul or ears or something.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Fri Jun 27, 2008 21:04

I think that's it--there are some for whom it sounds like an affectation or covering up someone who can't carry a tune in a bucket! I say, sing shit, but sing it proud! Heh. It could even be in the way they mix a lot of those songs? The voice is put so far in the background of the jangle, my mind can't help but think, "Oh, did you just find a pretty girl to 'sing' in your band so people will come to your shows?"

That sounds awful. I should give people the benefit of the doubt that it was just the sound they were going for and it's not my preference. That's a bit too diplomatic for me though!

boney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boneyboy

Post by boney » Fri Jun 27, 2008 23:55

This thread is interesting isn't it? On a purely sonic level I wish I'd caught MBV on this tour... but I have to say if you want revolution or even mere expectation defiance, then watchadoin at a reunion gig anyways? Go to an improv night.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Sat Jun 28, 2008 07:42

crystalball wrote:
Trev Lostmusic wrote:I'll shut up now and and try and ignore this thread as I don't want to ruin my memory of what I thought was a great gig.
Oh, I feel bad now. I know I was really pissed off when people (Tom) were slagging off The Orchids after Indietracks... I hope it hasn't ruined it for you. Good discussion though!
Ah, yeah, I was one of The Orchids naysayers.....what goes around comes around I guess. And yes - it is an interesting discussion. Hope no one is put off by my warblings.
not really here

a layer of chips
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by a layer of chips » Sat Jun 28, 2008 07:51

JamieC wrote:
Trev Lostmusic wrote:
Eh? Someone else brought up the idea of music being safe or unsafe. I just stated that no guitar based pop music (including indiepop) can be anything other than safe musically in 2008.
whereas in 2006 when pete green played the dsfar xmas gig with a huge rip down the crotch of his jeans, the audience was anything but safe. but two years on, he's settled down and got a bourgeois gusset. shame on you green, shame.
That was 2005. You really aren't qualified to comment making such a shoddy mistake. Please leave the thread.

http://www.tastyfanzine.org.uk/events05.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tomb
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tomb242

Post by Tomb » Sat Jun 28, 2008 08:25

crystalball wrote:Oh, I feel bad now. I know I was really pissed off when people (Tom) were slagging off The Orchids after Indietracks... I hope it hasn't ruined it for you. Good discussion though!
Has the Jihad expired yet? :o)

I really like ethereal music by the way.......

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Sat Jun 28, 2008 08:46

Don't go starting a Cranes threads, Tom.

Tomb
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tomb242

Post by Tomb » Sat Jun 28, 2008 09:08

a layer of chips wrote:Don't go starting a Cranes threads, Tom.
I haven't listened to them in years! Plenty of their mp3's here though.

Might start a Cocteau Twins thread though! ;o)

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:35

Well, I thought it was ace. I didn't get home till 4 this morning, due to motorway closures, but it was well worth it. The sensation of the big loud noise at the end making me vibrate was very pleasant, and the songs were played well. Some of the visuals were a bit dated, but it was good to finally get to see them live with all the lights and stuff. There were all kinds of sounds coming out that you don't get by listening to the records, and the loudness itself contributes to that, so I think it's justified. I did wear my earplugs for "You Made Me Realise" though.

I'm off to start a Cranes thread.

schlump

Post by schlump » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:48

snorkachu wrote:Oh my God, ME TOO. Although I wouldn't say that they bore me to tears, rather they intensely infuriate me because most breathy female vocals sound to me like a horrible affectation. Actually, I kind of despise most female vocals, unless they're quite bold or deep. I'm a massive sexist, I think.
i think it's kind of unfair attaching that to my bloody valentine though. partly because i think they're genuine antecedents of something that's since become lazy and oversaturated - i've got an old kevin interview where someone asks about their legacy, and the imitative bands, those being ones with fuzzy guitars and girls whispering. the vocal style and placement on the valentines records is really attuned with what they were going for - vocals often (but not always) not loud enough to be distinguishable, just melodic. and, in a broader sense, i don't think they are desperately girlish, beyond there being, y'know, a girl singing them: on isn't anything?, there's no more sorry, several girls galore and stuff, which are pretty edgy sounding, rather than coquettish like mirah or someone. loveless is the sonic equivalent of ice cream, so that the vocals are mellifluous and warm isn't really out of place or cloying.

i'm really surprised that there's discussion relative to the actual construction, or artistry, of the valentines, because (i was really trying to avoid using these two desperately cliched words, them being the meat and potatoes of my bloody valentine journalism) i just think that what they do - if we're referring to what people might deem the experimental bit, the end of the shows - is so visceral (ugh) that it transcends (juh) any of that. it isn't that they're relying on people to appreciate the careful balance of their well blended pedal action, it's that they're making the room actually shake so hard that people are sick with their guitars. it is visceral. it isn't beard stroking.

i am fanboyishly defensive, so i hope none of this is too aggressive, but i really disagree with the idea of it being a safe thing to do. i know what y'all mean - that it could be like a classic albums don't look back thing, come see my bloody valentine perform the holocaust!, but it just isn't. they've picked up where they left off, as if they just hadn' had a break, they already play for longer than they used to (i think it tended to be fifteen or twenty minutes long, and it's twenty five at the moment, to be pedantic), and that they haven't done new stuff is a mark of there not being new stuff done, despite it being the plan, and them being ten concerts into their tour.

backing tracks were as big a part on the live stuff last time - basically the synth part and loops for things like to here knows when - but seemingly weren't quite as well integrated. the vocals have gone steadily up the longer the shows go on. i don't know. it feels wrong debating something intellectually when it's, uh, a visceral thing. it is something that makes me so happy that they're back. if people don't like it, obviously that's their perogative, but i don't think they've done or not done anything yet which makes it a symptom of their substandard reunion rather than it just not being everyone's thing for whatever reason.

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Thu Jul 03, 2008 00:53

That were great.

More to follow when my ears stop going NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...
They don't call me Hawkeye Gilhooley... at all

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:39

So aye, you have to say that was magnificent. You here the stories of how loud it is but it wasn't unbearably loud (I took my earplugs out after the first song, put them back at the start of You Made Me Realise, took them out again and survived "the holocaust") and maybe all the better for it. You realise quite quickly that the volume is actually another instrument and it was pretty perfect. The sound was really crisp all night, Debbie rocked like a motherfucker, Colm Unspellable was "all hair and teeth" (to quote a phrase from my youth) at points and some of the sounds that Shields and Butcher wrung out really were...look away now Jamie...

...magical.

Yeah, they were alright. The Pastels were great too, it doesn't do any harm when your auxilaries are Norman Blake and Gerry Love but their 45 minutes was a woozy, mellifluous delight, culminating in a stunning version of The Viaduct. Good old SP and Katrina.
They don't call me Hawkeye Gilhooley... at all

tekno_alice

Post by tekno_alice » Fri Jul 04, 2008 22:24

ooh, glasgow on wednesday was fun, but maybe not as spot on as london, what was up with those itunes style projections? 'when you sleep' again brought me to a grinning mess though, lovely stuff.
did anyone else think norman blake looked just like bill gates?

schlump

Post by schlump » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:48

ooh, glasgow on wednesday was fun, but maybe not as spot on as london, what was up with those itunes style projections? 'when you sleep' again brought me to a grinning mess though, lovely stuff.
i think they have the good projections; foliage, naked women running, etc, for the ones where you're kind of watching going woah, and the lamo screensaver ones for the songs where you have your eyes shut. thorn works really well, and the ones with loveless promo cut ups. i like how sometimes the venue looks kind of like you're inside the loveless sleeve, with the lights and all.
he definitely looks better beardier and messier. what did you think of the pastels?

i think i saw you there but didn't quite meet you, by the way: amid a crowd of inter-net-friends and then dancing to blown a wish. ahh.

tekno_alice

Post by tekno_alice » Sat Jul 05, 2008 20:39

schlump wrote:
i think they have the good projections; foliage, naked women running, etc, for the ones where you're kind of watching going woah, and the lamo screensaver ones for the songs where you have your eyes shut. thorn works really well, and the ones with loveless promo cut ups. i like how sometimes the venue looks kind of like you're inside the loveless sleeve, with the lights and all.
he definitely looks better beardier and messier. what did you think of the pastels?

i think i saw you there but didn't quite meet you, by the way: amid a crowd of inter-net-friends and then dancing to blown a wish. ahh.
In london they didn't use the itunes projections at all though, and reused the more 'mbv' projections in place of the itunes stuff.
I thought the pastels were nice, was pleased they ended with the viaduct, though last time I saw them they wheeled out a few more old ones though so was hoping for a few more treats.
Sorry, I don't know who you are (the mystery of the internet forum), i did find it funny how many people I bumped into from London there though!

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 05, 2008 21:04

tekno_alice wrote:In london they didn't use the itunes projections at all though, and reused the more 'mbv' projections in place of the itunes stuff.
I think most of the ones they used in London were shot by one time Mary Chain bassist Douglas Hart.
not really here

aorta

Post by aorta » Fri Aug 29, 2008 02:51

proceed with caution:

IT狂人
if i could change your mind, i'd really love to break your heart

gloom button

Post by gloom button » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:42

great juxtapositions of our time..